• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now I've seen/heard it all. Flat-Earth theory, really? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamy

Banned
That's hilarious, cause the sun and the moon would appear to grow and shrink in size dramatically as it gets closer and further away when viewed from any location as it circles the Earth.

Even when trying to plan it "logically" it falls apart with some level of scrutiny.

the sun goes up an down which would help explain that

The radius of the sun's orbit around the Earth's axis symmetry varies throughout the year, being smallest when summer is in the northern annulus and largest when it is summer in the southern annulus. Additionally it also raises and lowers. This causes the effect of the sun appearing to move in a figure eight throughout a year.

Spectone

I just calculated that if the Earth is flat and Antarctica is a circle with its centre being the North Pole then the length of the Antarctic shoreline would be over 125,000 kilometres. The circumference of Earth is only 40,000 kilometres so he shoreline ice wall thingy would be in length three times the circumference around the equator of the Earth.

Lagamorph

So if the Earth were flat why would anyone cover it up? What advantage is there in doing So? And why is maintaining this secret the one thing every government ever always agrees on utterly and entirely?

Or am I being too sensible about this?

Dishwalla

Banned
People who believe the Earth is flat have never set up a DirecTV dish. You can't just point one of those dishes in a general direction and receive a signal, it has to be pointed at a specific elevation and azimuth, which is related to the satellite's location in space as it orbits the curved Earth. The elevation and azimuth are not the same all across the board, you go from Miami Florida to Washington D.C., for example, you have a completely different set of coordinates. And if the dish is off by an inch or two that can be the difference between clear reception and no reception.

Like it's such a stupidly simple concept, people who deny that are nuts.

SJRB

Gold Member
Still not quite sure if this a real thing people actually believe in, or some bizarro ironic anti-establishment joke movement.

Steel

Banned
People that believe in flat earth theory are so far gone that, even if you took them into space yourself, they'd think that the window is a screen showing CG.

StayDead

Alternatively, airplanes. If the Earth was flat it would be faster and more efficient to fly in a "straight line" on the map rather than an arc.

They fly in an arc to cover up the fact the earth is flat. Only the elite are able to travel at higher speeds. Wake up sheeple.

/s

People that believe in flat earth theory are so far gone that, even if you took them into space yourself, they'd think that the window is a screen showing CG.

Then you throw them out the airlock, so they can see with their own eyes. For five seconds until their eyes freeze and their blood boils. Problem solved.

Actually, we should build a space catapult for the specific purpose of launching idiots off this rock.

Alright, this is one too many. I feel like in the past week I've come across more discussion about flat earth believers than the rest of my life combined. Facebook, reddit, GAF. Someone even brought it up in real life. Has actually been a general increase in interest on the topic lately?

llehuty

Ermmm, how do these people explain timezones? And by that, I mean, being night when in the other side of the world is day.

I'm legit curious about the mental gymnastics.

Cipherr

Was watching a random video on YT, scrolled down to the comment section and stumbled accross "flat-earth-theory". I was kind of curious and used YT search function: 4.6m entries...

Ok, what the fuck is going on in this world? I'm kinda open to do the whole Plato-cave-analogy-thing and "forget everything you know for a second" any day, but this shit is just completely retarded.

At first I thought...ok, this has to be some Jehova batshit crazy thingy, but then I listened to some stuff by this crazy-ass dude called Eric Dubay for 15 minutes (which surely damaged my brain), who seems to be one of the leaders of this movement, talking about freemason.

Holy shit, I've heard some really stupid and crazy stories and theories in my life -most of them coming from some weedheads in my early 20s squad, lol- but this is just next-level.

Internet, what have you done!?!?!? I need a drink. I need to restore my faith in humanity somehow...

I don't blame you for being shocked. But yeah its a real thing unfortunately. We are in a big era of fake news, and anti-science nonsense pretty much all over the world.

The side effects of that are dumb shit like Anti-Vaxx movements and Flat Earthers. If you really stop and think about the effects of anti-intellectualism and fake news and the 'bubbles' of alt realities that it creates, this sort of thing becomes sort of an obvious side effect.

Hermii

Wait a second... with the sheer amount of conspiracy theories out there, looking at it mathematically...one of them has to be true, right Gaf? But which one is it, that should be main question for the rest of this century and the main purpose of this message board.

The CIA killed Kennedy.

Have we found flat earther gaffers yet?

There has been a few pop up here lately. I really dislike these people. For any flat-earthers that may be reading this. Prove it to me that your crazy nonsense is real by using math or at least disprove the math we use. You know, the math that has been around for centuries.

I mean, we can look at doppler radar to check the weather, but because of the Earth's curvature we have to have multiple radars positioned apart to capture the data necessary. How fucking dumb can people get? There has to be a psychological reason for someone to have these beliefs. Maybe it's the thought of being smarter than everyone else around which makes them feel special.

Hermii

Its hard for me to believe people thought the earth was flat even in the middle ages. In the modern age its unbelievable.

What would the illuminati gain from telling people the earth is round?

How would they get every airline in the world to maintain this conspiracy?

How do they explain timezones?

etc, etc, etc, etc,

televator

What ultimately makes this whole thing fall through is the enermous amount of conspiracy theory about CGI/artifical sky boxes a la the Truman Show, fake space missions, and entire scientific community in cahoots to perpetuate entirely fake fields of science, etc... Occam's razor to the rescue.

If you go and try to debunk everything you simply get stuck on the same loop because there will always be something more to explain, or refute. So rather I think the way to go is tackle the core issue, which I guess is people who believe in this are so doubtful of their political institutions that even the Earth itself must be a conspiracy.

nOoblet16

What ultimately makes this whole thing fall through is the enermous amount of conspiracy theory about CGI/artifical sky boxes a la the Truman Show, fake space missions, and entire scientific community in cahoots to perpetuate entirely fake fields of science, etc... Occam's razor to the rescue.
And they do all that to cover up that the earth is flat because why exactly ? Can't believe there are people who believe all this.

Kinyou

If you go and try to debunk everything you simply get stuck on the same loop because there will always be something more to explain, or refute. So rather I think the way to go is tackle the core issue, which I guess is people who believe in this are so doubtful of their political institutions that even the Earth itself must be a conspiracy.
I wonder if conspiracy theorists deep inside actually find comfort in believing that everything is controlled and follows a plan. That believe just makes the world much more comprehensive

televator

And they do all that to cover up that the earth is flat because why exactly ? Can't believe there are people who believe all this.

Are you asking me because you think I believe it? If so I'd like to say that my post you quoted is clearly shitting on flat Earth theory.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Nobody has ever been able to explain to me why all the governments around the world are working together to keep this a secret.

Markoman

All right, I'm calling it....in the next 5 years or so we will see a similar movement that claims that we are living in the matrix, with serious attempts to find scientific evidence. And of course...the Bilderbergs,Rothshilds and Lizzardos are controlling it.

6 years ago a colleague at work gave me a book called "the matrix code" telling me "You have to read this, it will change your life".

I'm not the smartest person, not a scientist, but I couldn't make it past page 3, because I can at least tell when something reads/sounds like a fictional scientific approach and stupid bullshit just hurts my brain.

In recent times I often came accross the term "red-pillers"...so yes, this is already seems to be happening.

The really dangerous aspect about this whole thing is that followers of conspiracy theories don't just act like someone who has been informed or teached about a thing, no, they feel special and enlightened, being a part of a small and special resistance community.

Skux

I swear the whole Flat Earth movement must be some kind of elaborate troll. It's even got its own fake science to 'prove' how it all works.

Z3M0G

Do people no longer learn in school that we (early Europe?) once believed the earth was flat until we learned otherwise? "Flat earth" is as old of a term as you can get...

But suddenly hearing about it like this is baffling. Is it the new scientology amongst key celebs?

hobozero

In recent times I often came accross the term "red-pillers"...so yes, this is already seems to be happening.

Hate to tell you this, but that actually means something else on the internet. It's still totally gross and stupid though, so you're safe to dismiss anyone you hear using it :) (It's some toxic Men's Rights anti-feminist bullshit, I think).

I would almost respect someone pushing a matrix theory over a flat earth theory, because at least that respects basic physics - even if presumably they think those physics are simulated, at least they acknowledge them.

I am more and more convinced that the recent resurgence of this flat earth stuff is elaborate trolling. There will be some truly stunted morons who will buy it, but I think most of the time it has to be trolling.

Why does the sun disappear over the horizon if the earth is flat? Wouldn't it just remain high in the sky but fade out according to them? Why do we have different climates? Why do hurricanes rotate in different directions depending on the hemisphere?

I don't get how anyone can believe in a flat earth. It's like not believing that 2+2=4.

Its hard for me to believe people thought the earth was flat even in the middle ages. In the modern age its unbelievable.

They didn't, people have known the earth is round for thousands of years. Flat earthing really only became a thing in the 20th century.

StayDead

Why does the sun disappear over the horizon if the earth is flat? Wouldn't it just remain high in the sky but fade out according to them? Why do we have different climates? Why do hurricanes rotate in different directions depending on the hemisphere?

I don't get how anyone can believe in a flat earth. It's like not believing that 2+2=4.

They didn't, people have known the earth is round for thousands of years. Flat earthing really only became a thing in the 20th century.

You don't understand, all of these things are illusions, none of those things have ever happened. You're just believing what people have told you to believe.

Have you looked with your own eyes, look beyond the lies!

/s

convo

There was a gaffer who thought the first Word War had the technological level of the middle-ages, and hell no i'm not gonna go find that post because i feel sorry for that guy. I also had a teacher who would microwave her creditcards and any other cards of hers that had a visible microchip to "not get spied on". There is no bottom to human stupidity, flat-earthers need to step up their game to impress me and not just remake a misconception from ancient times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom