• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Serious Sam 3 SP/co-op is going to be 1200msp. They are also going to release the new DLC, The Jewel of the Nile at the same time. Twitter message appears to say that the MP will be bundled with the DLC at 1200msp.

Cool deal on SS3, then. I think it's a nice experiment, and being able to save 15 dollars on MP many would never play (and still getting the Co-Op!) seems like a smart idea.

The credit for B:TAS is a mistake... Matsuda was character designer for The Batman, not TAS.

Haha, I had to wonder about that. "If it's in a press release-like thing, it HAS to be true!" *ahem* Well, I still love his Jackie Chan adventures stuff, and though "The Batman" Occassionally gets on my nerves, I still enjoyed it, and it's designs. (Nothing will ever be as cool as TAS, though. Haha.)

His style does seem to work for the game, but now I wonder if he'll have us stuck with some bonus child character as a protag (which wouldn't be that bad, haha) since JCA and The Batman both had an action-friendly younger cast...

Vert boil

XBLA Releases ‏@XBLAReleases

Upcoming Game Added: [Q3 2013] Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee New N’ Tasty

Lorne Lanning/Just add water gave a presentation about it at the Eurogamer Expo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSdIGD5MpOM&feature=player_detailpage#t=887s

If you just want to see the game click this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSdIGD5MpOM&feature=player_detailpage#t=2483s

Screenshots here - http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2012/09/oddworld-abes-oddysee-new-n-tasty.html

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Cool deal on SS3, then. I think it's a nice experiment, and being able to save 15 dollars on MP many would never play (and still getting the Co-Op!) seems like a smart idea.
It's kind of a terrible idea, unless the demo includes time limited MP. Unless you go in with friends, you're paying to play in a ghost town.

Holy shit there are a bunch of games on there which aren't announced.

Also I'm not sure theses were announced for XBLA as well:

boxartlg.jpg

capsized was announced and was due to be released in december last year but all went quiet on the release front.

http://www.xblafans.com/indiepub-releases-first-trailer-for-capsized-on-xbla-31047.html

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's kind of a terrible idea, unless the demo includes time limited MP. Unless you go in with friends, you're paying to play in a ghost town.

Eh, maybe, but the idea to get the SP for 15 bucks, or the SP _ MP for 30, is a nice deal. Maybe the 1200 point cost will also make sure that those who DO play the multi, stick with it more, rather than being a tacked on bonus to a competent SP experience.

By this time in the "online gaming" generation, there are so many games that have MP modes I'll never get into, but were great to go through the story, or to experience for those first few weeks. It might suck for the first few games that try such a thing, but I can't see this idea ending up too bad, or discouraging MP communities from growing, in the long run.

bjork

That Girl Fight image has a MicroProse logo on it... I had no idea they still existed, that's pretty cool.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That Girl Fight image has a MicroProse logo on it... I had no idea they still existed, that's pretty cool.

They don't still exist.

Microprose got bought by Hasbro. When Hasbro sold some of Atari to Infogrames, Microprose went over there. A totally unrelated company bought the Microprose brand from Infogrames, and that's the company using the logo now. :(

Just having a glance over the XBLA listed games and I had NO idea that Ion Assault had joined the delisted games list.
Always hate when they just get pulled rather than announcing it's being delisted before hand.

aku:jiki

Eh, maybe, but the idea to get the SP for 15 bucks, or the SP _ MP for 30, is a nice deal. Maybe the 1200 point cost will also make sure that those who DO play the multi, stick with it more, rather than being a tacked on bonus to a competent SP experience.
I'm not really following that logic... There has never been an XBLA game that had a base cost of 2400MSP. Is that even an allowed price point? So, I mean, you can't say "it'd have been 2400 otherwise!" because that doesn't sound very likely at all. I'd say the opposite is true, rather; it's kind of a ripoff to have to pay a total of 2400MSP to get the full experience when other games offer both SP/MP for 1200 or even 800.

Also, ghost town is right. Gotham City Impostors is going to remain the only XBLA FPS that people still play.

Just having a glance over the XBLA listed games and I had NO idea that Ion Assault had joined the delisted games list.
Always hate when they just get pulled rather than announcing it's being delisted before hand.
What sucks even more about it is that quiet delistings are the norm. The only announced delisting I can remember was Turtles, but there's been over a dozen delistings...

But you're not missing much with Ion Assault anyway.

Vert boil

DOTW

Dungeon Fighter Live - 400msp (was 800)
Street Fighter III: Third Strike - 600msp (was 1200)
Super StreetFighter 2 THD - 600msp (was 1200)
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown - 600msp (was 1200)

The Secret of Monkey Island: S.E. - 400msp (was 800)

-----

Activision Sale

CoD Classic - 600msp (was 1200)

CoD: Blops
--First Strike: Pack 1 - 600msp (was 1200)
--Escalation: Pack 2 - 600msp (was 1200)
--Annihilation: Pack 3 - 600msp (was 1200)
--Rezurrection: Pack 4 - 600msp (was 1200)

CoD: MW1
--Variety Map Pack - 400msp (was 800)

CoD: MW2
--Resurgence Pack - 600msp (was 1200)
--Stimulus Package - 600msp (was 1200)

CoD: MW3
--Collection 1 - 600msp (was 1200)
--Collection 2 - 600msp (was 1200)

CoD: WaW
--Map Pack Bundle - 1000msp (was 2000)

DJ Hero
--Jay-Z vs. Eminem Mix Pack - 320msp (was 640)

DJ Hero 2
--Hit Makers Mix Pack - 320msp (was 640)

Guitar Hero: Warriors Of Rock
--Warriors Of Rock 1 Track Pack - 800msp (was 1600)

Prototype - 1200msp (was 1600) US price, different prices for every country.

Transformers: WFC - 800msp (was 1600) 720msp in CA, 640msp in AU/NZ.
--Map and Character Pack #1 - 200msp (was 400)
--Map and Character Pack #2 - 200msp (was 400)

CoD's and a few GoD reduced as well but still $$$ - http://xbldb.com/offer-history/price-changes

-----

Arkadian Warriors - 200msp (was 400)
Assault Heroes - 200msp (was 400)
Assault Heroes 2 - 200msp (was 400)
Carcassonne - 400msp (was 800)
Faery: Legends of Avalon - 600msp (was 1200)
Geometry Wars Evolved 2 - 400msp (was 800)
Trials HD - 800msp (was 1200)

-----

Sales & Specials+ App

Braid - 400msp (was 800) **they might have reduced it to 400 my mistake. Info says only 240msp should have been taken off.
ilomilo - 400msp (was 800)
Limbo - 600msp (was 1200)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm not really following that logic... There has never been an XBLA game that had a base cost of 2400MSP. Is that even an allowed price point? So, I mean, you can't say "it'd have been 2400 otherwise!" because that doesn't sound very likely at all. I'd say the opposite is true, rather; it's kind of a ripoff to have to pay a total of 2400MSP to get the full experience when other games offer both SP/MP for 1200 or even 800.

Also, ghost town is right. Gotham City Impostors is going to remain the only XBLA FPS that people still play.

I'm not comparing it to other XBLA games, just to Game releases in general. I didn't say anything about "It'd be 2400 otherwise!", I just said it's nice that this is a 15 dollar game (download) with options, rather than, say, a 30 dollar one, where you'd have to pay for the MP, wheither you plan to play it or not (like a retail release).

Didn't this already get released on PC, anywho? IS more of a 60 dollar quality game getting released for 30, or a 15 dollar game getting released for a bloated 30? People don't seem to care about how much XBLA games cost, as long as they can prove their prices (as proven by Minecraft).

Vert boil

If SS3 had a retail release then it would have come to GoD instead of XBLA. Who knows what they would have charged for the combined SP/co-op/MP but I'd expect 1600 or 2400msp.

2400msp isn't that base cost. The expansion will probably be around 10$ on pc so it would be fairer to call it 1600/1800msp base cost to get the same as the pc counterpart. I know that it appears that you'd have to pay for the expansion to get the MP but Co-op has always been the main online draw for Serious Sam games.

Although you are right to treat SS3 as another XBLA game the R.R.P. atm on steam is 40$ and the expansion will probably cost 10$ on top of that. In my eyes 1200msp for SP/co-op is a very good deal.

Vert boil

Seems like this is on sale in the New Zealand store aswell. Picked it up for 640 points.

I managed to snag this in Australia. It was listed at $9.95, but when I changed the payment option to MSP it was only 640MSP.

Edit: ^^ snap!

Cool, checked against the gb price when it popped up and that wasn't reduced (unless 1440msp is it's reduced price). Thanks for letting me know.

Canada is 800msp as well.

Ooh, nice DOTW. All games I passed on and waited for sale (except SSF2HDR), so I guess I'm getting all of them. Looking forward to revisiting SF3, haven't played that since it came out on PS2.

Although you are right to treat SS3 as another XBLA game the R.R.P. atm on steam is 40$ and the expansion will probably cost 10$ on top of that. In my eyes 1200msp for SP/co-op is a very good deal.
Yes, but in the eyes of someone who likes all forms of FPS gaming but prefers MP (i.e. me), it's not. 2400MSP is a ripoff and it's not an accident that they packaged the MP with the expansion.

Rlan

So, outside of the EU Hell Yeah release, there really isn't anything this Wednesday? Real weird. Why not put Sonic Adventure 2 and Nights on there, or split them by a few days instead of chucking them both up on Friday?

S1kkZ

So, outside of the EU Hell Yeah release, there really isn't anything this Wednesday? Real weird. Why not put Sonic Adventure 2 and Nights on there, or split them by a few days instead of chucking them both up on Friday?

it really sucks, since retro city rampage still has no release date. i am still hoping for a surprise release tomorrow :(

vixlar

Oh, three good DOW streak... that's a multicombo!!!

Marvel Pinball and Marvel vs Capcom 3 characters last week... but I was 70 points below to buy all I wanted.

Virtua Fighter this week. I already have all Street Fighter.

Toy Soldier and World of Keflings next week. Toy Soldiers had a DOW not many time ago, but now the DLC is in sale... good.

That's really confusing me as well. Is this the first wednesday in years without a game released globally?

Family Fry said:
So the Activision sale this week also includes CoD Classic XBLA for 600points, or has it been that price for a while?
No idea, but 600 points is not a permanent price point, so probably the sale.

bjork

They don't still exist.

Microprose got bought by Hasbro. When Hasbro sold some of Atari to Infogrames, Microprose went over there. A totally unrelated company bought the Microprose brand from Infogrames, and that's the company using the logo now. :(

Man, your tag needs to be "crushing dreams with staunch reality", with a link to that post. :(

Zia

I've been waiting for a sale on VF5:FS, have 480 points in my account and 120 Rewards points that have been pending for two weeks (even though I read that Rewards points are to be deposited into your acc by the 15th and 30th of each month if at least 100). Talk about unlucky...

Final Showdown is on sale but the customization packs aren't. Damn. Was hoping we'd get that deal the PS3 had early on with the game and custom packs on a discount. Maybe next time. And time to get that ilomilo.

Danneee

Ok, VF5 is not a game for me. Just doesn't click (might be too technical, Though button mashing seems to work on easier difficulties and I haven't gone through the tutorial yet), should have played the demo first but luckily it wasn't that expensive and Sega at least deserves my money seeing as they really are putting some great titles on xbla/psn.

Final Showdown is on sale but the customization packs aren't. Damn. Was hoping we'd get that deal the PS3 had early on with the game and custom packs on a discount. Maybe next time. And time to get that ilomilo.

Yeah I was hoping for a discount on the custom bundles too. I think the one with Sarah didn't have the items for Vanessa, so it was hard to justify buying the individual packs.

BigMack

What sucks even more about it is that quiet delistings are the norm. The only announced delisting I can remember was Turtles, but there's been over a dozen delistings...

TMNT 89, Turtles in Time Re-Shelled, Outrun Online Arcade and the DLC packs for both Marvel Ultimate Alliance games were all announced ahead of time (Outrun was mentioned like a year in advance.)

Marble Blast Ultra was pulled without any notice, but I was able to buy a code from Gamestop.com and it worked.

Next week looks good:
Cold War DLCs
Keflings
Double Fine sale (hopefully Stacking dlc and Costume Quest/dlc)

Horizons demo!

Holding off on the Sega stuff because it goes on sale frequently.

bjork

TMNT 89, Turtles in Time Re-Shelled, Outrun Online Arcade and the DLC packs for both Marvel Ultimate Alliance games were all announced ahead of time (Outrun was mentioned like a year in advance.)

Marble Blast Ultra was pulled without any notice, but I was able to buy a code from Gamestop.com and it worked.

I wish I would've done this with Joust and Robotron. I know they're coming in that Midway disc, but I always wanted the XBLA ones.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
next week is going to be expensive, but thank goodness I waited.

Toy Soldiers: Cold War 600
Toy Soldiers: Cold War – Napalm 200
Toy Soldiers: Cold War – Evil Empire 200
A World of Keflings 400
Splatters 400

splatters always struck me as a 400 points game.
Splatters is really underrated. The devs admitted that they did a terrible job of introducing the game mechanics and they'll be correcting that error on the PC port.

Splatters is really underrated. The devs admitted that they did a terrible job of introducing the game mechanics and they'll be correcting that error on the PC port.

I actually thought they did a great job of introducing the mechanics, what exactly was the issue they thought they had?

Whoever called it a 400pt game is right, though, 'cause as I've said before, the first half of the game is awesome but the second is horrible. That first half is totally worth getting though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I actually thought they did a great job of introducing the mechanics, what exactly was the issue they thought they had?

Whoever called it a 400pt game is right, though, 'cause as I've said before, the first half of the game is awesome but the second is horrible. That first half is totally worth getting though.
If people think the game is based on luck then they did a horrible job.

Not sure what's wrong with the second half of the game.

Top Bottom