• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

reKon

Banned
Here we go. The Galaxy S# backlash is coming, like clockwork. Fuck these phones. Stop buying them.

it's been the same two people bitching about their phones and they're using the unoptimized snapdragon version which definitely has less consistent performance.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
running out of options for at&t for android (for supporting wifi calling). Still rather have this over an LG lol.

Definitely switching to iphone 8 at the very least... well depends on if they fix the notifications.

maybe ill just go to t-mobile which at least does wifi calling with oneplus and zte i think.
iOS notifications are way, way worse but they're not bad enough that I'd get an S8. I'm with you in hoping iOS 11 fixes it. Just copy Android.

Here we go. The Galaxy S# backlash is coming, like clockwork. Fuck these phones. Stop buying them.

THE PHONE APP SEEMS TO TAKE LONGER TO LAUNCH THAN I THINK IT SHOULD WOW LITERAL GARBAGE WHY DO PEOPLE USE THIS TRASH AHAHAH SAMSUNG PHONES LITERALLY EXPLODE

Am I doing it right?

Hieberrr

My god, the OnePlus 3T is amazing. The camera works fine to me. I do see some issues with fast action shots in lower-than-ideal light, but I rarely need to take pictures like that. I just did a tour of downtown Toronto and it worked completely fine. Dream phone.

Quasar

THE PHONE APP SEEMS TO TAKE LONGER TO LAUNCH THAN I THINK IT SHOULD WOW LITERAL GARBAGE WHY DO PEOPLE USE THIS TRASH AHAHAH SAMSUNG PHONES LITERALLY EXPLODE

Am I doing it right?

That's pretty much how people in this thread react to phones. So different to my real world experience. I don't know if that's purely down to em being day one/early adopters or what.

Jeffrey

im just saying the s8's memory management reminds me of my old iphone 6+ which clearly 1gb of ram wasn't enough for it at the time.

Taking a picture was enough to kill my last app lol.

That was also a $850 disappointment in that aspect. Samsung is catching up to apple!

Xiaomi is closest but they refuse to take on the burden of developing software to support a stylus. Nobody does except Samsung which is why the Note remains one of a kind.

If you go between a bunch of different phones the problems with Samsung phones are pretty apparent. If you just get a new phone every few years, sure it will seem great. Also I'm sure the exynos version is much better. I'd much rather have that version but they don't have a BOGO special.

Jeffrey

If you go between a bunch of different phones the problems with Samsung phones are pretty apparent. If you just get a new phone every few years, sure it will seem great. Also I'm sure the exynos version is much better. I'd much rather have that version but they don't have a BOGO special.

Basically. S8 is pretty fast compared to S7 and s6!

Also to be honest most users don't multitask or bother with notifications or anything lol.

That's a hilarious statement considering Samsung phones invented split-screen multitasking on Android.

I would argue that Samsung users are the ones doing actual multitasking and have been for years while stock Android decides whether to officially add split-screen or not.

Jeffrey

That's a hilarious statement considering Samsung phones invented split-screen multitasking on Android.

I would argue that Samsung users are the ones doing actual multitasking and have been for years while stock Android decides whether to officially add split-screen or not.
I wonder if your average mom uses all these features?

Your college kids maybe but your mom that gets viruses and tool bars all over the pc and is spamming you fake news on Facebook ain't using quick app switch nougat functionality or splitscreen.

this_guy

Your college kids maybe but your mom that gets viruses and tool bars all over the pc and is spamming you fake news on Facebook ain't using quick app switch nougat functionality or splitscreen.

The average mom is using an iPhone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

My wife does. She uses app switching, and on occasion she uses split screen. She also uses pro mode on the camera.

Oh and she's also a Mom. :p

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Mr.Shrugglesツ;238314279 said:
AJ likes to post things without sources and pass off as his own discoveries. Just saying.
Like what? For years I've been clamoring that Galaxy phones implode and everyone hates them after a month.

How would you even know, anyway? You've only been here for not even a year.

Ty4on

The average person could use a low-end to mid-range moto phone and be fine.
Giving my dad a Moto G 8GB instead of a 16GB was a really bad idea. He's by no means a power user, but complains how slow it is because 1GB RAM and 8GB is nothing after the 6.0 update. Look at how fucking big the basic apps actually are today.

Regular people notice slowdowns as well. They may need more horsepower sometimes when they need to open horribly bloated webpages that bring the puny CPU cores to their knees.

reKon

Banned
Like what? For years I've been clamoring that Galaxy phones implode and everyone hates them after a month.

How would you even know, anyway? You've only been here for not even a year.

You would be surprised at how many people lurk before joining these boards. That's a possibility

Jeffrey

My dad can figure out the weird ass leeco setup just fine that everyone hates.

Well it's not getting any slowdowns I guess due to sd821.

Think most people can figure out the slowest and weirdest OS if handed to them.

Let's be real, ios is a complicated mess these days as well. Trying to find anything in settings is a chore. Glad they added the ability to search.

So I've been reading about how it's better to charge your mobile phones, tablets or any lithium ion battery devices up top 80%. I mean, maintaining a battery between 40-80% is what's suggested than going all the way down and charging back up to 100%.

Any of you guys stick with this? I'm just trying to see what's the best way to maintain the battery capacity for my S8+ or any of, other devices.

Jeffrey

So I've been reading about how it's better to charge your mobile phones, tablets or any lithium ion battery devices up top 80%. I mean, maintaining a battery between 40-80% is what's suggested than going all the way down and charging back up to 100%.

Any of you guys stick with this? I'm just trying to see what's the best way to maintain the battery capacity for my S8+ or any of, other devices.

phones handle that themselves already these days. 100% doesn't mean 100%, but like 90% or something and it handles stuff itself.

Anyways, samsung mentioned in their research on making sure note 7 thing doesn't happen again, they figured out a way to make them batteries last longer. Expect 90+% capacity in 2 years.

No promises on your phone being slow as shit, or heavy battery drain from android P though!

Assuming that Samsung actually updates the S8/S8+ to anything beyond Android O.
Samsung is usually very good with giving 2+ years of updates to the s and note line. That is one of their upsides now. LG and Motorola will still try to fuck you and not give updates even on flagships though past one year if any at all.

I'm starting to think I got a faulty s8. Gets really hot, injustice 2 froze up on me on first boot and crashed, and the os keeps freezing on me and becoming non responsive once in awhile. Is this happening to you Jeffrey?

No Love

Banned
Samsung is usually very good with giving 2+ years of updates to the s and note line. That is one of their upsides now. LG and Motorola will still try to fuck you and not give updates even on flagships though past one year if any at all.

I'm starting to think I got a faulty s8. Gets really hot, injustice 2 froze up on me on first boot and crashed, and the os keeps freezing on me and becoming non responsive once in awhile. Is this happening to you Jeffrey?

Yeah you're definitely having issues. My S8+ has been super stable and doesn't ever freeze up. Great phone. No red tint either.

Jeffrey

Don't play injustice. No real notable freezing. Aways a split second delay longer than other phones when pushing nav buttons,but it's generally consistent.

Sync with reddit occasionally takes a second or 2 to open for some reason but I've had that issue on other phones too.

Yeah you're definitely having issues. My S8+ has been super stable and doesn't ever freeze up. Great phone. No red tint either.

Don't play injustice. No real notable freezing. Aways a split second delay longer than other phones when pushing nav buttons,but it's generally consistent.

Sync with reddit occasionally takes a second or 2 to open for some reason but I've had that issue on other phones too.

Are you in 1080p or 1440p? I have it in 1440p with brightness cranked up.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Samsung phones having a great out of the box experience and then degrading with use is the most known truth in phones. No need for a prophet. I've fallen for it twice. I've been saying it for years in the windows phone thread. Every year it's reviewers saying "they finally fixed TouchWiz y'all" only to have articles like the one above pop up a few months later as performance degrades.

Hasney

Maybe I'm just not that picky, but performance is fine here. #Shrugs

Yeah same. Seems snappier than my mums OnePlus 3T. Wonder how much Bixby constantly listening even before being setup damages performance. It defo seemed quicker once the package was disabled.

If it ever does get bad, I'll just install a custom ROM. I'd rather fiddle than give up that screen.

Maybe I'm just not that picky, but performance is fine here. #Shrugs
Yeah, I've had my S7 Edge over a year at this point, and I don't notice anything wrong with it. Same with my Note 4 before it.

I'd probably have kept my Note 4 if I hadn't switched carriers, loved how it looked and it was one of the last with a removable battery.

A good thing to ask yourself when a reviewer is praising all that Samsung has done right with their current new phone and how it's the best phone on the market would be why isn't that reviewer using it then? It seems like most of the tech reviewers on YouTube or other sites are generally using either a Google Pixel or an iPhone. I find it funny when everybody praises the newest phone to come out and yet it is telling that nobody is using it as a daily driver.

1080p. Notable performance difference.
Crank up minimum width to 426 dp helps with minimize blur on text.

Will try that out.
Yeah, I've had my S7 Edge over a year at this point, and I don't notice anything wrong with it. Same with my Note 4 before it.

I'd probably have kept my Note 4 if I hadn't switched carriers, loved how it looked and it was one of the last with a removable battery.
You are going from Samsung to Samsung to Samsung. Of course you aren't going to notice anything wrong. I was blind to the jankiness of Samsung's software until I started using stock Android. Once you do that switch it's hard to go back.

A good thing to ask yourself when a reviewer is praising all that Samsung has done right with their current new phone and how it's the best phone on the market would be why isn't that reviewer using it then? It seems like most of the tech reviewers on YouTube or other sites are generally using either a Google Pixel or an iPhone. I find it funny when everybody praises the newest phone to come out and yet it is telling that nobody is using it as a daily driver.

I can't take tech reviews seriously by the major YouTube reviewers. They aren't going to say anything to prevent them from getting free phones early from the companies like Samsung. They usually just hit a couple of pr bullet points, show some footage of the phone trying to make it look sexy in different back drops, and call it a day.

Joe

This Marshmallow-to-Nougat update pop-up will be the death of me.

Does anyone know how to disable it?

I3OVaHm.png

I've looked online and gone through the settings and I've only managed to stop the notifications in the notification bar.

Top Bottom