• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Titanfall 2

Slixshot

Banned
I had a hell of a long day and after all of it I just wanted to sit down and play something I knew I enjoyed. Persona 5 sitting right in front of me, I looked at my PS4 library and said "look, titanfall 2! Haven't played that in a couple months." So commenced a few hours of playing what feels like the most addictive and satisfying multiplayer game since Modern Warfare or even Halo 2.

The game is so snappy and just "feels" right. The number of weapons and aesthetics to keep you going on a constant satisfying grind is damn near perfect. Since launch Respawn has added better menu selection in the multiplayer screen, additional maps and game modes released for free and new unlockables!

I gotta say on top of all that, the game is just FUN.

Top notch campaign too! Can't forget about that. It had a ton of world building and genuinely interesting characters. One of the greatest set pieces too towards the end.

Just wanted to give the game some praise for its outstanding care and continued support from Respawn.

Also, because they've been so awesome... here are the recent unlockable executions:

CurbCheck_02.gif

UglyDefenselessGallinule-size_restricted.gif

8fDzhkz.gif

That campaign was basically a modern Half Life for me. Just when you think they're all out of tricks they pull in a new twist.

I need to replay this campaign on a higher difficulty still. Soon. I wonder how the population is these days for Aussie multiplayer...

krang

That campaign was basically a modern Half Life for me. Just when you think they're all out of tricks they pull in a new twist.

I feel like I'm misremembering, but in the campaign they never introduced the grappler mechanic you get in MP, which just seemed a bit odd to me.

Otherwise I agree - it felt like a classic Valve game. I made a thread to say as much at the time.

The Argus

I want this, but I feel it's too late to jump in. Similar to Titanfall 1 when I started playing and dominating with the Vault release. When do you think this will be in the EA Access Vault? Fall, Winter? I want.

Arrrammis

Still my current favorite multiplayer game, there are so many great moments in matches.
KWTRtC7.gif

Population's still pretty good too, 4-6k people on PS4/Xbox one most of the time, PC has a smaller base but still enough people to play just about every mode.

RossoneR

Banned
Best mp fps this gen.

Trying to play cod 4 remastered or some other thing, is like going back one generation. Controls re above everything else. I just wish more people would give it a chance.

Nothing out there controls as fluently and beautifully as this game does. I been out of it for a couple months myself, I think I'm midway through Gen 2 or so...Been meaning to get back into it. Probably will once I'm done with Andromeda.

Shame about that population though, It's good, but it should be much higher considering how quality the game is.

MikeyB

Bought it last week for the PS4. Coming off of Overwatch, it is tough. The low TTK is quite jarring.

Can tell it is a good game though.

It's a dream to play on PC. The feeling of flying through the air, wallriding and double jumping but still being able to keep perfect accuracy is something unmatched by any other FPS I've played. There's so much nuance in how you keep momentum. One thing I absolutely can't stand though is how long the clamber animation is at the lowest vertical attach point. It's got me killed so many times when I wasn't even trying to clamber. If they speed that animation up a bit then it'd be perfect.

Yeah I love this game. The campaign is pretty amazing, so much fun. I do have a problem with the sound stuttering somewhat often though, seems to be a recurring problem for a fair few people. It gets very distracting in hectic multiplayer battles. I've not played it online in a good few months though, so hopefully the most recent patches may have sorted the stuttering out.

I do have a problem with the sound stuttering somewhat often though, seems to be a recurring problem for a fair few people. It gets very distracting in hectic multiplayer battles. I've not played it online in a good few months though, so hopefully the most recent patches may have sorted the stuttering out.
I own and regularly play all three versions and I only encounter this issue on PS4. I have no idea what causes it but it's dissuaded me from using headphones while playing seeing as the sound is completely borked and turns crackly and skips every other minute.

Hope Respawn gets on that.

T-0800

Would be an even better game if all the maps didn't look the same. I know that isn't totally true but it feels like it.

I feel like I'm misremembering, but in the campaign they never introduced the grappler mechanic you get in MP, which just seemed a bit odd to me.

Otherwise I agree - it felt like a classic Valve game. I made a thread to say as much at the time.

The grapple is not in the game. The developers themselves said the tool would essentially break a lot of the platforming challenges they'd created and completely alter the flow of the game, so they only left it for the MP.

Orfeas

The grapple is not in the game. The developers themselves said the tool would essentially break a lot of the platforming challenges they'd created and completely alter the flow of the game, so they only left it for the MP.

Makes sense, but kind of a shame. It would be cool to see what a speed runner could do with grapple. Though, I suppose there's enough movement tricks that a speedrun could already have a lot of cool tricks to it.

Loved TF1... Still my favorite game of current gen. Sadly, the TF2 tech test really turned me off the sequel, so I ended up canceling my CE pre-order. I eventually picked up the DLX edition for $20 (or was it $16?) from Best Buy. Haven't jumped in yet & have considered it may be "too late" to bother (in other words, play the well-received campaign & then forget it). But threads like this give me hope it'll have a longer life than TF1 & maybe even steadily grow as they add content. It's good to hear Respawn addressed some of the issues with the tech test in the final release & are really supporting it.

Since I was Day 1 with TF1, it'll be a bit different jumping onboard so late with TF2 but I'm really looking forward to it. Is there a Titanfall 2 GAF group/club/guild for Xbone?

Indelible

Just started the campaign and I'am really enjoying it so far, the controls feel even tighter than the first game and they were already great.

I think the gameplay is great, but none of the maps feel right. Maybe I'm just bad but I feel like I spend more time on the ground than I should because there aren't enough surfaces to wall run on that effectively help you get around the map.

mcz117chief

Is it better than the 1st Titanfall? I still play that one from time to time, I especially love the campaign in the 1st game, Demeter is one of the most memorable things in the FPS genre.

That's a bold claim. I must have played the TF1 campaign like twenty times because of how amazing it is. TF2 must be ****ing legendary then.

Wasn't TF1s campaign just multiplayer matches loosely strung together with some voice overs? Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm.

Neptonic

That's a bold claim. I must have played the TF1 campaign like twenty times because of how amazing it is. TF2 must be ****ing legendary then.
It's up there with my favorite FPS campaigns: Half Life 2 and it's episodes, Quake 2, Doom 2016, Wolfenstien: TNO, and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

mcz117chief

Wasn't TF1s campaign just multiplayer matches loosely strung together with some voice overs? Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm.

They are multiplayer matches with a great flair and absolutely jaw dropping set pieces. The overall feel is just amazing. The campaign never loses the super high energy it starts with, it is a mad dash from the 1st mission to the end.

It's up there with my favorite FPS campaigns: Half Life 2 and it's episodes, Quake 2, Doom 2016, Wolfenstien: TNO, and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Gunslingers is a fantastic game, the others I don't like very much, but I did finish Doom 4, it was ok but forgettable for the most part.

Izuna

Banned
Great campaign

Bad MP I comparison to the first.

They are slowly turning things around, but very, very , very slowly. Maybe at the end of the year it'll be as good.

Neptonic

Gunslingers is a fantastic game, the others I don't like very much, but I did finish Doom 4, it was ok but forgettable.
Ooooh hmmmmmm. If you don't like Half-Life 2 I wonder if you'll like this campaign. It's very HL2 in the way it gives you new mechanics for a section then throws them away at the end. Also lots of platforming.

mcz117chief

Ooooh hmmmmmm. If you don't like Half-Life 2 I wonder if you'll like this campaign. It's very HL2 in the way it gives you new mechanics for a section then throws them away at the end. Also lots of platforming.

The platforming and the physics is the only part I liked about Half Life 2 so there is a chance.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Good game but hard to feel like you're not a lone wolf. As a result I often feel disconnected from the scoreboard - sometimes the game ends and I expect a great win because I've done really well but it's a crushing defeat.

I'd welcome some achievements in multiplayer to keep me playing.

Slixshot

Banned
They are multiplayer matches with a great flair and absolutely jaw dropping set pieces. The overall feel is just amazing. The campaign never loses the super high energy it starts with, it is a mad dash from the 1st mission to the end.

Gunslingers is a fantastic game, the others I don't like very much, but I did finish Doom 4, it was ok but forgettable for the most part.

The campaign is not forgettable. One of the greatest partners in this game.

Multiplayer was just ace and the ultimate palette cleanser to COD's deteriorating MP suite.
Perfect blend of fast pace ADHD FPS gameplay COD held the crown to for ages

I haven't played the game since early Jan though, I've thought about diving back in but fear getting mauled lol

Haven't played since late last year either but I think about it all the time. MP is so good but I just have so much to play and so little time. Have been meaning to playing the SP

Slixshot

Banned
OléGunner;234569715 said:
Multiplayer was just ace and the ultimate palette cleanser to COD's deteriorating MP suite.
Perfect blend of fast pace ADHD FPS gameplay COD held the crown to for ages

I haven't played the game since early Jan though, I've thought about diving back in but fear getting mauled lol

You're going to get your butt kicked for the first match or two. I forgot how snappy the game was. But by the end of the night, I felt back to normal. Northstar and I were kickin some serious tail

SkylineRKR

Reentered the war yesterday. Its still good and no regrets selling BF1 and keeping this. Its easy to pick up, second game was already decent. IQ Sharp, gameplay spot on, the fact you know every new map is free.. TF2 is one of the finest FPS.

cooldawn

The campaign was...OK. It has the best FPS gameplay though. So tight and slick all-round.

Multiplayer is lots of fun because of how responsive and smooth it all is but it's too content light and most of the modes are a little convoluted.

slyfox

I found TF1 MP to be better than TF2 MP.
Better maps which included more places to wall run. More mp modes. Just felt better too.

Izuna

Banned
I found TF1 MP to be better than TF2 MP.
Better maps which included more places to wall run. More mp modes. Just felt better too.

As time goes on I realise just how much of a step back it is. Titanfall 2 and balance don't belong in the same universe. But my god at how it shipped with the Map Hack the way it was... And those Pilot Sentries...

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I own TF2 but haven't played it yet. As someone who has never played a TF game and no time to dedicate to gitting gud, is it even worth it to try out the MP? Getting murdered from every angle instantaneously by teens who play too much isn't my idea of fun...

Top Bottom