• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Remains of Edith Finch |OT| Short Stories in a Tall Building

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
capsule_616x353.jpg

Developer/publisher: Giant Sparrow/Annapurna Interactive
Platforms: PC (Steam), PlayStation 4 (PSN), Xbox One (XBL)
Price: $19.99/€19.99/£14.99 or your regional equivalent
Release date: April 25th (PC, PlayStation 4)/July 19th (Xbox One)

About:
What Remains of Edith Finch is a collection of strange tales about a family in Washington state.

As Edith, you'll explore the colossal Finch house, searching for stories as she explores her family history and tries to figure out why she's the last one in her family left alive. Each story you find lets you experience the life of a new family member on the day of their death, with stories ranging from the distant past to the present day.

The gameplay and tone of the stories are as varied as the Finches themselves. The only constants are that each is played from a first-person perspective and that each story ends with that family member's death.

Ultimately, it's a game about what it feels like to be humbled and astonished by the vast and unknowable world around us.

Created by Giant Sparrow, the team behind the first-person painting game The Unfinished Swan.

Screenshots:

Trailers:
- Announcement
- "House Introduction"
- "Stories"
- Announcement (Xbox One)

Reviews:
- GAF review thread
- Metacritic (PC; 89)
- Metacritic (PlayStation 4; 88)
- Metacritic (Xbox One; 92)
- OpenCritic (88)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Nice title. It just fits

JaseC

Oh yeah, the PC version doesn't support resolutions above 1080p and setting a higher resolution in GameUserSettings.ini doesn't seem to actually do anything. An Annapurna representative has said on the game's Steam Community hub that 4K support may be patched in "if there's demand", which isn't exactly reassuring.

Edit: I've fired off an e-mail to Giant Sparrow.

Nice title. It just fits

I do love a good pun. ;)

"Ok, this game is AMAZING! Holy shit... do not sleep, this game is dope! Glad I pre ordered at the last minute.

You really just need to get to the meat of the game. Very majestic."

It's very good and engaging. Will finish this for sure!

Corpekata

Banned
Blarg at it not going above 1080p. Even Koei Tecmo's game this weeks supports 1440p and 4k. Gonna wait for a bit until they patch it or someone finds a hack.

Dominator

Bought it yesterday to get the pre-order price, won't be able to dive in until the weekend though. Can't wait to get into it, looks really cool.

Roussow

Fuck, I thought games had stopped coming out for now, like this and Outlast are just coming out, plus Prey next week.
This ride never ends.

Created by Giant Sparrow, the team behind the first-person painting game The Unfinished Swan.

the Unfinished Swan really had a lot more to it than that. in fact I think one of it's better aspects was it's ability to tie it's various ruminations on unique FPS mechanics into a narrative whole. Anyways, wish I was playing this, but at work and it's not on Asian PSN yet for some reason. Could not even pre-order.

Wozman23

Finished it as well, after a little over 2 hours, then a bit longer to get a few missed trophies. Short but sweet.

I'm usually not one for first person exploration games (walking sims) but the gameplay and story's intrigue kept me engaged. It's really fantastical with its approach. I really enjoyed that, despite the bleakness, it had some humorous bits. Plus, the variations of vignettes keep the look and feel fresh too, and do a good job of toying with your emotions.

On a technical level, it was a bit inconsistent. Some sections seemed more polished than others and the frame rate seemed a bit choppy, but nothing was too bad.

Also, really enjoyed the
Unfinished Swan nods. Now I feel like I need to replay it again.

I'm actually really interested to see how Annapurna evolves as a publisher, especially if they go the route of the first party PS3 indie days. They've already got some promising games in the pipeline.

WolfeTone

Finished this in a couple of hours tonight on PS4. I loved it. Compared to other 'walking sims', it feels like a mix of Gone Home and Ethan Carter but is superior to both.

I feel like some GAF members may not like the ending and some minor graphical issues regarding pop in and framerate on PS4. But, if you like this genre of game, I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

thenexus6

Yeah I just noticed that about the purchase button being missing. I wanted to get it downloaded whilst I was at work. Nevermind, I'll just get it going as soon as I get home.

Seems like there is two listing for the game on PSN - one is blank the other is £15.99.

The listing said the £12 discount was available until midday today, which I guess wasn't true. If so i'll just wait.

Wanderer5

Looks like this is very good. I do dig these kind of games from time to time, so will plan to look at this later during a sale least.

Another game that came out recently, that's firstperson adventure with surreal elements about family and also a female protagonist with a lovely aesthetic, people should check out is Blackwood Crossing. Simiarly, around the 2 hour mark, perfect for one sitting. Really emotional, too.

blackwood-crossing_gif1.gif

blackwood_crossing_surreal_by_digi_matrix-db4ussv.gif

whyman

Cant wait to play this tonight. Planning one sitting. Why is there not more hype around this game? Looks amazing and is getting good reviews.

valeu

i played through the first death,
a young girl with an overactive imagination
. the game has an incredible sense of place and art. story is wonderfully told, great voice acting. this is looking like something special. any game or movie where i have no idea what's going to happen automatically gets high marks from me

2560x1440 is available for me via the graphics menu without changing any .ini files and seems to be working for me, is there was good way to tell if it's native? It does seem sharper, was not able to select higher however so maybe it's tied to your monitor's native res. Seems like someone should be able to work around this pretty quickly.

Played about an hour so far, it's quite good. Really taking my time exploring the house and soaking in the atmosphere.

JaseC

2560x1440 is available for me via the graphics menu without changing any .ini files and seems to be working for me, is there was good way to tell if it's native? It does seem sharper, was not able to select higher however so maybe it's tied to your monitor's native res. Seems like someone should be able to work around this pretty quickly.

Ah, good catch. I myself noticed that the game was running in a borderless window by default, however even in fullscreen mode my DSR resolutions aren't available, so, yeah, I'd say the game looks to the display to determine the maximum resolution.

Dantis

Just finished. Really great experience. I think it's kind of what I would have hoped Gone Home would be.

Not sure how I'd compare it to Unfinished Swan (which I absolutely loved). It's a different, deeper game.

Production value is wonderful for such a small team too.

After reading here people finished it in under 2 hours I downloaded it and started playing and had to stop just after I finished Lewis' story because of work...

Talking about anticlimactic :(

How are people rushing these kind of games like this?

Anyways, Lewis is probably the best I've seen when it comes to interacvtive storytelling ("feeling" his medical condition through gameplay) ever. Amazing!

Why is there no hype?!

drotahorror

Oh yeah, the PC version doesn't support resolutions above 1080p and setting a higher resolution in GameUserSettings.ini doesn't seem to actually do anything. An Annapurna representative has said on the game's Steam Community hub that 4K support may be patched in "if there's demand", which isn't exactly reassuring.

Edit: I've fired off an e-mail to Giant Sparrow.

I do love a good pun. ;)

Why does this have to have demand for it to happen? I don't have a display that's higher than 1080p, but to not have higher resolutions just screams lazy or incompetent to me.

This game seems cool and I'm debating on pulling the trigger but shit like this really irks me.

I just finished it.

I loved it.

It was strange and affecting and beautiful and unlike any other game and well-written and 'fun' and made with an uncompromisingly light touch.

butman

Is this game more like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Firewatch? I mean a walking simulator with a good story.

WolfeTone

Is this game more like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Firewatch? I mean a walking simulator with a good story.

Yes it's similar to those games. "Good story" is obviously subjective, but I loved the stories of Ethan Carter, Firewatch and Edith Finch.

StaSeb

Did not play those two, but yes ... it is a game of walking around and enjoying a good story. But also it is about creative ways of storytelling or marrying story and game. The Unfinished Swan also has this quality. But in the case of WROEF, it feels a lot more coherent. The overall mood is quite a bit darker, though.

I very much enjoyed playing it. It gave me a sense of wonder and exploration that I rarely feel in the predictable games of today.

Wozman23

I never played The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, but yes, somewhat like Firewatch, or Gone Home. I haven't liked many walking sims. I've abandoned a few of the early ones I played. I didn't like Gone Home at all. I thought Firewatch was a little more interesting, had nice art, and told a better story, but still not amazing mainly due to gameplay.

What Remains of Edith Finch still has some of the tropes I don't like with walking sims, like slower and lighter gameplay, and slow walking sections, but it does a lot better in other departments to make it far more enjoyable than most of my forays into the genre.

The short stories about each ancestor are varied enough that they all feel unique, often both mechanically and visually. They bounce around emotions, interspersing the overall dreary story with some lighthearted humor. The walking sections have purpose as they serve to open up the narrative.

It's definitely a game to experience if you enjoy walking sims, but it's also good enough try to even if you don't, as you could find yourself becoming a convert like me.

And as Messofanego said, Blackwood Crossing is another solid game if you're looking for another emotion driven story. (I made the OT.) It's a bit rough mechanically, and its gameplay isn't as engaging, but it's got a tremendous amount of heart.

Played a bit with my wife last night - mesmerizing, we had to go to bed and had to make an effort to put it down. Absolutely love their art style - it's clearly got a photorealistic vibe but also somehow manages a painterly/storybook style look? Hard to describe, great work by the devs.

With this and Little Nightmares on Friday, it's indie heaven this week.

For those concerned about framerate - I imagine if you're really sensitive you're going to notice some frustrating spots, but there's no huge sub-20 dips or anything like that. It seems like it's mostly a stable 30 with intermittent dips to maybe 25ish or so. I can't really spot framepacing, so I can't comment on that.

Very much so. Definitely gives me TVOEC vibes.

Melchiah

Just finished the game, and absolutely loved it. One of the most unique gaming experiences I've ever had, and the best "walking simulator" I've played since the Vanishing of Ethan Carter. It's definitely among my top games of this generation, and I hope it gets the recognition it deserves.

Then to spoilers...

The homage to
Tales from the Crypt comics and Halloween
was just fantastic, and made me feel all giddy inside. I adored how the gameplay mechanics changed, like in
Lewis' tale, which also struck me personally.

Alucrid

Banned
Just finished the game, and absolutely loved it. One of the most unique gaming experiences I've ever had, and the best "walking simulator" I've played since the Vanishing of Ethan Carter. It's definitely among my top games of this generation, and I hope it gets the recognition it deserves.

Then to spoilers...

The homage to
Tales from the Crypt comics and Halloween
was just fantastic, and made me feel all giddy inside. I adored how the gameplay mechanics changed, like in
Lewis' tale, which also struck me personally.

i think the most impressive thing was
calvin's story. actually made me feel like i was on a swing during it.

melkier33

Not so much I'm my opinion, it's better there's no filler walking in this game. It's linear and the narrative is constantly flowing. If you like narrative games definitely check this out, totally worth it.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Pretty amazing. Swan was a personal favorite, also irked me that people, or, reviewers, got turned off when the whole game wasn't the white canvas of the first 'level'

The use of gameplay as fictive gloss on the narrative is so good. So many thoughts. The ending is a bit milquetoast, but can't wait for the spoiler threads about certain things that left me wondering.

also, how would you sail from norway to the pacific northwest?

Top Bottom