• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uh, apparently "they" are bringing "Black Isle" back...

steadfast

http://www.blackisle.com/

PPx0g.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIsleStudios

https://twitter.com/intent/follow?o...ackIsleStudio&source=followbutton&variant=2.0

Not really sure about how i feel about this. Most BIS is at Obsidian anyway, it feels like a cheap move to use Black Isle's name to cash in some easy money.

They totally pressed reset on Black Isle

black isle wakes up on a cold slab with no memories, a blank slate

they are approached by a floating undead being with seemingly benevolent motives

SerRodrik

Weird. I'm not going to assume they'll have what the old Black Isle had, but I suppose it'd be nice to get more people trying to make older style RPGs.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So are they rebranding Spiderweb Software or something? lol

They can't afford much else.

Actually, that would be the best possible scenario next to Brian Fargo taking it over.

Kem0sabe

We will focus on Free 2 Play Visceral RPG´s starring a panther like Spy/Assassin where you can play either as a Spartan or a General... in Eberron!.

FGMPR

Banned
How can Interplay still be around? They haven't released anything in years as far as I know. It almost feels like that "Edge Games" IP troll, keeping an empty shell of a company active for whatever no good reason (bringing back the BI name without the talent would be one of those reasons).

Ok i've yet to try New Vegas but i didnt like Bethesda's Fallout 3 as much as the oldies...

Take the Fallout 3 engine, layer some more rpg stuff on it (better perks, more build options, ammo types, mods) and skill checks much more often on choices along with more world reactions on what you do, and you have new vegas.

How can Interplay still be around? They haven't released anything in years as far as I know. It almost feels like that "Edge Games" IP troll, keeping an empty shell of a company active for whatever no good reason (bringing back the BI name without the talent would be one of those reasons).

didn't they get paid a bit after the lawsuit, with besthesda winning it, but giving interplay a few million and now bethesda basically owns any and all fallout stuff.

Decado

Take the Fallout 3 engine, layer some more rpg stuff on it (better perks, more build options, ammo types, mods) and skill checks much more often on choices along with more world reactions on what you do, and you have new vegas.

didn't they get paid a bit after the lawsuit, with besthesda winning it, but giving interplay a few million and now bethesda basically owns any and all fallout stuff.

In other words, better than Fallout 3 but still pales in comparison to the originals. FO3 and FNV definitely rank in my top 5 games I wish had never been made.

FGMPR

Banned

ah ok. I didn't know that.

This still seems rancid.

I wouldn´t say no to a new developer trying to make RPG's as good as Black Isles old ones, but so far it doesn´t seem promising, based on the reactions on the ones you hoped would be involved. :)

And I must say, I actually enjoy Obsidians games more than Black Isles old ones, with the exception of Fallout 1 (although New Vegas is also a favorite game).

zkylon

zkylewd
Eh, the name still holds a warm place in my heart, so it's hard to be negative about it, but really, Interplay is just a joke nowadays, so I don't see how this is anything more than a shameless cash-in.

terrisus

Well, hey, if they make games similar to/in the style of the kind that Black Isle Studios used to, that will be something worth celebrating.

Anything that Herve Caen is involved with will probably be terrible. The fact that none of the old talent seems to be involved just seals the deal for me.

O.DOGG

I wonder who they think they can fool with that move. BI's games were niche, and just about all their fans know that they're Obsidian now. I don't see a point in resurrecting the brand.

Sentenza

I wouldn´t say no to a new developer trying to make RPG's as good as Black Isles old ones, but so far it doesn´t seem promising, based on the reactions on the ones you hoped would be involved. :).
Yeah, the involvement of Interplay is more discouraging than the lack of storic names, as far as I'm concerned.

I could easily trust new, young, talented developers actually trying to match Black Isle in quality and style.
I can't trust a publisher hilariously close to bankruptcy suddenly trying to play the nostalgia card just to have two minutes of press.

Top Bottom