• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2017 (May 15 - May 21)

280k units sold in US during april and now also moving only around 25k units in japan weekly. How in the hell they are manufacturing so few consoles.

This is a supply issue, they misjudged the demand for the switch. (Along with most people)

It might take some time before they're able to increase production.

Oh totally but they may have a few stashed away somewhere, they've managed to push more last weekend of every month so far

I'm beginning to see why more Japanese third parties haven't jumped aboard the Switch yet. What incentive do they have to publish software for it when Nintendo is going to arbitrarily hold back supplies to accommodate their own games?

Just to get this on the first page:

It's still sold out.

But please continue your narratives.

Yeah, it's just a shame the shipment is so small; 40-50k was a nice weekly number. I miss the days when the DSLite was sold out yet was still selling approximately 100k every week.

Lelou

Nothing exciting to see there..
I'm really curious to see if arms will have the same success of splatoon in japan..

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Strange thing is that supply is actually dropping compared to last month, though. Wonder what the reason for that could be.

Higher distribution for MK8D worldwide launch.
they allocated a weekly cap production before the launch and decided to "sum" more stock for the MK launch, having now to manage fewer quantities left

Interfectum

280k units sold in US during april and now also moving only around 25k units in japan weekly. How in the hell they are manufacturing so few consoles.

Yeah it's getting kinda weird. I mean it's cool to think "whoa Switch still sold out, crazy demand!" but there's barely anyone getting stock anywhere. Are they having manufacturing issues?

Strange thing is that supply is actually dropping compared to last month, though. Wonder what the reason for that could be.

They probably pushed a lot more of their stock during the MK8D launch so that they were left with less afterwards.

I'm beginning to see why more Japanese third parties haven't jumped aboard the Switch yet. What incentive do they have to publish software for it when Nintendo is going to arbitrarily hold back supplies to accommodate their own games?

What makes you think this is arbitrary whatsoever? If they could produce and ship doubt or triple that they sure as hell would be.

Yeah it's getting kinda weird. I mean it's cool to think "whoa Switch still sold out, crazy demand!" but there's barely anyone getting stock anywhere. Are they having manufacturing issues?

If they decided to begin doubling their production back in March, how long would it realistically take for components from a variety of suppliers to make it to store shelves? Genuine question if anyone has any insight. It could be possible that we don't see any of that increased production before July as far as we know. Hopefully not later than that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, it's just a shame the shipment is so small; 40-50k was a nice weekly number. I miss the days when the DSLite was sold out yet was still selling approximately 100k every week.

Oh, no need to be sad, those times will come back once Splatoon 2 is out.

Let me dream, please

If demand is not a problem then this is a terrible look for Nintendo and another reason why third parties are not jumping right off to Switch.

Holding back supply (for their own releases lol) and still having production issues almost three months after it was obvious supply wasn't catching up with demand is really a bad look for the company.

Fdkn

Shipping less so they can ship more later is not a smart move. You're delaying people entering in your ecosystem and purchasing games now instead of going for a hypothetical Splatoon2 only purchase when they get the console on that date if that is what they really want.

Ridley327

Wouldn't they need to put games out for it in the first place for this to have a chance of being true?

They did it for MK week. They're likely doing it for ARMS, and they sure as hell will do it for Splatoon 2.

Oh I see what you mean. I don't think they're actually holding back (EDIT: much) stock for ARMS or Splatoon 2, rather they just overshipped for MK8D such that they were left with very little stock remaining. But either way it's not really arbitrary, and not very surprising for a platform holder to ensure there's more stock when big sellers are launching.

It's their best worldwide launch and they were only expecting 10 million on the year. I dunno, prettty easy to see what is happening imo. 280k units in April is still the best result in like 5 years for reference.

mclem

I have to say, I'd have expected MK8Ds lifetime sales to have surpassed BOTW Switch's by now, although that's BOTW doing better than I'd anticipated than MK8D being in any way disappointing!

Oregano

Wouldn't they need to put games out for it in the first place for this to have a chance of being true?

Yup but basically anything and everything Nintendo do is a good reason for third parties to avoid them apparently.

Also you know it makes sense for third parties to totally skip what is, or will be, the most viable platform. #Vitameanslife

Zedark

DAmGolnXcAAt7Kc.jpg:large

If demand is not a problem then this is a terrible look for Nintendo and another reason why third parties are not jumping right off to Switch.

No it's not. Third parties (major ones) had nothing planned for the switch from the jump. There have been few major announcements since before we knew stock would be an issue.

Holding back supply (for their own releases lol) and still having production issues almost three months after it was obvious supply wasn't catching up with demand is really a bad look for the company.

I personally think holding back stock for major releases is unwise but production doesnt juat go 0-100 in a few months.

johnny956

Almost certainly constrained, and suggests Nintendo is only getting about 25k-ish units to retailers a week at the moment. Heavily betting they're holding some supply back for ARMS' release week.

Hope that's the case because Switch sales on Mario Kart week was what 80k I think not really that big of a shipment

ggx2ac

How to go around in a circle:

"Third parties can't jump on Wii U until Nintendo gets a stronger install base from their own 1st party efforts."

"Third parties can't jump on Switch until Nintendo stops holding back stock from demand of upcoming 1st party releases."

hiska-kun

Peléo;237904473 said:
What are the sources for Switch being sold out in Japan? Not doubting anyone, just curious.

This website tracksmajor online stores Switch stock situation. On everyone is sold out (since forever). They update everyday:

https://gamewith.jp/gamedb/article/show/43620?from=ios

Switch is sold by lottery on bigger stores in Japan.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237369093

The Splatoon 2 bundle is booked by lottery on some stores:

https://mobile.twitter.com/comg_nakajyou/status/865468823817736192

random25

These narratives are all over the place lol. It's still selling out. That's the important thing here. We don't know what's happening behind the scenes as to why the supply is still constrained.

Ridley327

Yup but basically anything and everything Nintendo do is a good reason for third parties to avoid them apparently.

Also you know it makes sense for third parties to totally skip what is, or will be, the most viable platform. #Vitameanslife

I mean, I don't disagree with the assertion that Nintendo is stockpiling for the next big releases that they're putting out, but as of right now, the big Japanese third party releases are Ultra Street Fighter 2 and Seiken Densetsu Collection. Both of those are ports with highly questionable value propositions. There aren't any third party games in Japan that would get screwed by such a practice.

I'm guessing Nintendo has shifted some of their production towards making Splatoon 2 bundles which they can't release until the game is out.

I'd expect Switch to have 50-60k units at least for the week Arms releases. The rest might be in this 30k range.

Oregano

I mean, I don't disagree with the assertion that Nintendo is stockpiling for the next big releases that they're putting out, but as of right now, the big Japanese third party releases are Ultra Street Fighter 2 and Seiken Densetsu Collection. Both of those are ports with highly questionable value propositions. There aren't any third party games in Japan that would get screwed by such a practice.

True but even then if you're not Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest you're nowhere near as important as Nintendo first party.

It would be like third parties getting mad that Sony gave FFXV preferential treatment.

ggx2ac

True but even then if you're not Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest you're nowhere near as important as Nintendo first party.

It would be like third parties getting mad that Sony gave FFXV preferential treatment.

Or third parties getting mad that Sony does console bundles of their own games or with third party games like FIFA and Destiny.

Seriously, Nintendo needs to ship way more than 25k consoles to Japan. ~45k was a good number, but 25k? Not so much for a product that obviously is in high demand.

They have to put more consoles into Europe and especially North America, since those are much larger markets. Even though Nintendo is based out of Japan, their home base is only their third most important market. The system is still very much supply-starved.

L~A

Combined, both versions of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild have sold 588 624 units at retail. 600k next week! To reach 1m before the end of the year, it needs 411 376 units during the next 32 weeks, and that's 12 855 units per week. Definitely doable, though not quite guaranteed yet (too early to say for sure, but at least 1m LTD seems guaranteed).

Bump when Switch gets bigger shipments will be pretty interesting.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Like I said last week, I suspect the air shipment for launch month temporarily disrupted their shipment plans for April and May. Plus, Nintendo absolutely has to make sure they have sufficient stock for July.

Zedark

Combined, both versions of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild have sold 588 624 units at retail. 600k next week!

What is Twilight Princess at? I know it was somewhere around 600k, but not quite sure what the number was.

dracula_x

Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     [B]YTD[/B]    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| PS4 # |     17.314 |     17.295 |     18.430 |    [B]666[/B].423 |    542.542 |   4.767.090 |

PS4 is the Beast.

Code:
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     [B]YTD[/B]    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
| PS4 # |     17.314 |     17.295 |     18.430 |    [B]666[/B].423 |    542.542 |   4.767.090 |

PS4 is the Beast.

I was afraid that would happen, but its not unexpected.

random25

Combined, both versions of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild have sold 588 624 units at retail. 600k next week! To reach 1m before the end of the year, it needs 411 376 units during the next 32 weeks, and that's 12 855 units per week. Definitely doable, though not quite guaranteed yet (too early to say for sure, but at least 1m LTD seems guaranteed).

So you're saying, there's a chance...? :)

It just need consistent legs, and bumps when Switch sales spikes up.

RocknRola

If only 243 people buy a PS4 this week there is a solid chance that Armageddon comes early! That or the remake of FF7 releases this year. Whichever is more likely.

PS4 # | 17.314 | 17.295 | 18.430 | 666.423 | 542.542 | 4.767.090

boiled goose

good with gravy
Obviously nintendo would love to make more switch, but you cant just flip a switch and double production.

There have been indications of higher than expected switch demand for a while now. With Splatoon 2 coming up, not having higher supply will will result in lost opportunity.

Deku89

The reasoning I see for holding back stock for game releases is to get more people into the store to buy the newer game, especially for a game like ARMS.

They are more likely to buy the new game with the system when they buy it than if they buy the system a couple weeks earlier.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The reasoning I see for holding back stock for game releases is to get more people into the store to buy the newer game, especially for a game like ARMS.

They are more likely to buy the new game with the system when they buy it than if they buy the system a couple weeks earlier.

Also, more casual consumers will be in circulation. Unlike scalpers which can scoop up the trickle.

gtj1092

Damn...Switch paying the price for the bigger Golden Week shipment.
Good to see Zelda chugging along.

Is it really just that extra shipment? Wasn't switch 46k weekly before golden week then around 75k golden week? And now 25k the last two weeks. So around plus 25k for golden week but now a total of minus 50k post golden when compared to pre golden week. I just think they don't have many to ship.

Hero

So have you finally come around to the fact that Switch is going to inherit the niche third party support that Vita received?

Top Bottom