• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Shameless Product Placement in Games

Sanjuro

0nQRa0C.jpg

BiggNife

He uses a Sony Xperia in Uncharted 4 :p

Yeah, but at least people use Xperias. Hence why I went with the Blackberry comparison.

VZ Navigator is/was universally known as an unusable piece of crap and the idea that Alan could use it to escape The Dark Place is laughable.

the worst I've ever seen is definitely cup noodles. At least the Coleman chairs were just there. Never in your face and never really feeling out of place.

During camp scenes the camera was angled so that you would always see the Coleman logo.

Not quite as obnoxious as the cup noodles, but still pretty blatant.

EDIT: Didn't know that Ebony coffee was actually a real thing. While the gang was in the car, I heard one of them ask if they "liked ebony" and it was a WTF moment.

Col.Asher

I've always liked the Pikmin 2 real world objects. There was always a slightly sad feeling when viewing them in the piklopedia. I think it was the music, and the possibility that humans don't exist anymore in pikmin.

NaviLink

Cool Spot should have been first answer.

Those Mc Donald's games back on the NES.

Burnout Paradise had some sort of dynamic in-game billboards. I think you could see Obama billboards when he ran for President at some point? And some of the vans in the game had the same brand on them everywhere.

Metal Gear series is full of them. Calorie Mate for one. (I tried it, it's not very good)

And of course Pepsi Man.

"Something dawned on me when I was on my own - any food you make tastes better when you use good ingredients right?

Then if you take something already delicious like Cup Noodle and add in the finest, freshest ingredients, what do you get? The ultimate flavor experience!

--------------

You know something? Going through all that trouble to make our own custom cup, it's made me appreciate Cup Noodles even more.

Ignis: Perhaps we truly can't improve upon perfection.

Gladio: It's not about finding the single best ingredient. It's about crafting that perfect blend of meat, egg and shrimp. that harmony of flavours is key.

Prompto: Yeah, you're right. Make you appreciate how delicious these noodle really are

Noctis: I know I sure do."
the entire thing is done as if they are completely fucking serious too. So painful

13ruce

Banned
CI_NSwitch_ZeldaBreathOfTheWild_LinkGettingSwitchy.jpg

Also in Wii U version and it's DLC. (part of expansion pass) i don't mind it but yeah it is product placement:p even a paid one.

kewlmyc

Cup Noodles in FFXV easily take it.

It's not even a bad thing, it's hilarious.

So, FF XV's Cup Noodles: The Thread?

Also, I saw no mention to this thing. Did you play it? It was very popular in Latin America.

176809-Pepsiman_(Japan)-1474315316.jpg

I mean, the game is called PEPSI MAN. You know exactly what you're getting. It's like walking into a Nintendo store and being upset at all the Nintendo related advertising.

styl3s

Oh cool, a Homefront thread.
I don't think ads are always a bad thing if it helps the immersion and this is a case where i am glad they got actual places. Fighting and protecting a real city with real locations makes more sense then running around with fake places everywhere.

It's why real ads in sports games don't bother me. What bothers me is out of place ads.

Heres a couple, Quake Live and Quake Wars, I used to have a screenshot where there was a doritos billboard in Quake Wars. It looked so out of place when everything was destroyed yet a pristine doritos billboard sits in the middle of the battlefield.

6a00d8341c51c053ef0120a500f9fe970b-450wi

image_thumb.png

Leynos

I always enjoyed this space station of the future that had Bawls vending machines in Run Like Hell:

Y4PBSvOm.jpg

This is the one that I always remember in regards to inappropriate product placement. I don't know what the hell that drink is, but I sure as hell won't be buying any.

This. Also:

cx9q8r0idazskwhrboxt.jpg
I can actually handle the Cup Noodle stuff in FFXV, since it feels like it's just a goofy one-off thing in the game.

But having stuff like this thrown in randomly is even more world breaking to me. The fantasy world in FFXV has Coleman camping equipment? Do they also have a Cabella's that they purchased it at?

If you're going all in on product placement, do it like Pikmin 2 where it makes sense. You're a tiny person picking up Earth junk, so it makes sense they'd have various branded batteries, Carmex, etc. I don't even mind racing games with ads on billboards, as long as they is enough variety. When all you see is Verizon or whatever on everything it spoils it.

Burnout Paradise had some sort of dynamic in-game billboards. I think you could see Obama billboards when he ran for President at some point? And some of the vans in the game had the same brand on them everywhere.
This is what I thought of, and the Obama thing is actually true
at least according to other areas of the internet
. There were also cheat codes for special cars, most of which had company logos. Unfortunately, while the cars still work, the cheat code menu itself was patched out, and I believe the billboard advertisements were as well.
The cheats can be used before patching the game,
which unfortunately isn't possible on Xbox One

iidesuyo

I can actually handle the Cup Noodle stuff in FFXV, since it feels like it's just a goofy one-off thing in the game.

But having stuff like this thrown in randomly is even more world breaking to me. The fantasy world in FFXV has Coleman camping equipment?

If you're going all in on product placement, do it like Pikmin 2 where it makes sense. You're a tiny person picking up Earth junk, so it makes sense they'd have various branded batteries, Carmex, etc.

Having a real world camping supplier supporting the crew doesn't feel awkward imo.

The heroes longing for instant noodles however is just so weird and out of the blue.

Top Bottom