• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

ckaneo

Yeah, the final act of the final zone is the low point of the game for me. It's the only level in the ENTIRE SERIES where I've timed out.

The boss is awesome though.

One of my favorite level in perhaps the series. If you timed out you were going to slow and the level challenges arent that hard. Just keep the pace up. I thought it was a mistake they stopped the time at the boss though, but i can see why.

Flintty

The rotating sphere stage is the secret best bonus stage. Once you're good at it you can easily score 200-300 rings from it and several 1ups.

It is pretty good but feels a hell of a lot harder than I remember. Brutal in places.

The Sonic 2 special stages were GOAT for me.

Mark1

The positivity all around this game is odd...in such a good way.

And it's very welcoming. Sega take note. 😉

Hoping Forces is at least Generations quality so this isn't deemed a fluke by the community.

Seeing
Lava Reef
as a zone again was one of my wishes, and they portrayed it so well within the story again
when Little Planet is revealed again to be Eggman's base of plans with the the Infinite gem

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The rotating sphere stage is the secret best bonus stage. Once you're good at it you can easily score 200-300 rings from it and several 1ups.
Gumball is great because I basically get to pick the powerup I want. Lives are whatever. The game vomits those at you anyway. Gumball is great because you can easily keep going until the powerup you want comes out.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
One of my favorite level in perhaps the series. If you timed out you were going to slow and the level challenges arent that hard. Just keep the pace up. I thought it was a mistake they stopped the time at the boss though, but i can see why.

No one would be able to beat the game if they didn't
restart the timer for the final boss.
I actually made it there with 9:59:72 on the clock my first time through ... then I died, and it was my last life, so I had to replay the entire damn zone. (My only game over of the whole playthrough.) My second time through, I reached the final boss in about 8 minutes I think — quite a bit faster, but still very long for a Sonic level.

Felt like I was stuck in battery zone 2 forever. The part where you have to run upside down, I would keep changing direction inputs and end up going slower and falling to my death not realising that I just have to hold down one input and let momentum carry me. Took me like 20 tries to realise lol.

Yea that part got me a gameover too.

Flip4k

Any one who wants to avoid spoilers for the game better avoid Kotaku today. They put one of the best surprises in the game as a image in the news feed.

daakusedo

Got carried away with the low price thread, it's so not captivating me that I could do with a save between acts, I just rush the second one too often.
Even the time trials are not too fun, I liked doing that in colors or generations. That's the boost lol...

ckaneo

No one would be able to beat the game if they didn't
restart the timer for the final boss.
I actually made it there with 9:59:72 on the clock my first time through ... then I died, and it was my last life, so I had to replay the entire damn zone. (My only game over of the whole playthrough.) My second time through, I reached the final boss in about 8 minutes I think — quite a bit faster, but still very long for a Sonic level.

Yeah I understand why they did it, but stage one and stage two should be kept separate. Even when you are going back to replay Zones.

Making you beat Zone 1 again if you game over on a boss is just a tad too much backtracking. Although, luckily it never happened to me.

Mezoly

Heads up! Don't go to Kotaku they are spoiling a cool boss fight in a thumbnail right as you open the site.

I'm pretty sad that got spoiled for me :(

Sonic pre-dates me. Sega was on the way out before I got old enough to game. I love platformers, for sure, but I am wondering if this would be for me. Looks fun but also look confusing.

Would you all recommend this for people who've never played?

Nah, there are definitely things that could easily spoiled in this game. For instance, Zone 2 act 2 boss was magical, and I would be annoyed if I had been told what that was before I got there.
Ah, I heard about it vaguely beforehand and it was still wonderful. Experience is more important than surprise for me, at least.

I saw that thread where people were asking how to play, I guess I share similar fears. Do I have to go as fast as I can? Is it a collectathon?

Sonic games are a series of platformer levels played in a linear order

Your main goal is to get to the end of each level, eventually defeating Dr. Eggman and saving the world

Your secondary goal is to find secret large rings in each level that teleport you to a bonus stage and help unlock the true ending. These can be equated to something like Star Coins or Bonus Coins in Mario or Rare's DKC games, respectively

Everything in between is up to you

Please don't think too hard about it

Mark1

How did everyone feel about
Hydrocity's
remake in this game? Did others feel let down by it?

Still enjoyed it regardless thoug]

Ristifer

Have all 7 emeralds on two playthroughs now. One with Sonic & Tails and the other with Knuckles.

I am loving this. I agree that
Titanic Monarch
is a time killer, but it's also really awesome for platforming and timing jumps in the
orbs/bouncy walls
areas.

FinalAres

I saw that thread where people were asking how to play, I guess I share similar fears. Do I have to go as fast as I can? Is it a collectathon?
When you actually play Sonic its not confusing. That thread is just a load of 90s fanboys trying to prove Sonic is objectively bad. Don't let it bring you down.

Kinsei

Banned

Just play at a speed you feel comfortable with. If you try going at top speed all the time you'll most likely end up running into enemies and spikes a lot since this is your first Sonic game. As you get better at the game you'll notice yourself going faster and also being able to maintain that speed for longer than you used to.

It's not really a collectathon but there are special stages hidden in the levels. Completing seven of them unlocks the super form of your character.

How did everyone feel about
Hydrocity's
remake in this game? Did others feel let down by it?

Still enjoyed it regardless thoug]

It's easily the weakest of the remixed zones IMO. That being said it still had some really cool moments.

Shadio

The goal is just getting to the end of the stage. There's replay value in doing it as fast as possible by finding the shortest routes, but it's not necessary for anything.

The only things to collect are the 7 chaos emeralds which are hidden in special stages throughout the game, and the medals from the bonus stages that you are able to attempt at every checkpoint. They both offer optional unlockables.

Of course I was going too slow....or I wouldn't have timed out lol

I've already finished the game, btw.

13ruce

Banned
I hate this 4th special stage. That is all.

I am dreading the next one after what I'm hearing about it.

What i did was to stay close to the ufo from the beginnig and just pick the orbs/rings along the path.

With that strategy i got em after a few tries max. Before i tried like 20 times or more but whenever i reached mach 3 the ufo was nowhere to be seen or so far ahead i ran out of rings.
This was when i focused more on the rings/orbs then where the ufo was.

So not losing the ufo out of sight or getting too far behind helps alot. Even got some at mach 2 that way.

Saven

Banned
What i did was to stay close to the ufo from the beginnig and just pick the orbs/rings along the path.

With that strategy i got em after a few tries max. Before i tried like 20 times or more but whenever i reached mach 3 the ufo was nowhere to be seen or so far ahead i ran out of rings.
This was when i focused more on the rings/orbs then where the ufo was.

So not losing the ufo out of sight or getting too far behind helps alot. Even got some at mach 2 that way.

I just finally got it. Picking up more rings made it a lot less stressful since I was able to just tail it down when in Mach 3.

sonto340

Just noticed something in MSZ1
on the train there a bunch of drums labeled “OOZ” whic I imagine means Oil Ocean Zone. Nice little bit of foreshadowing.

Mark1

I mean, it is kinda a silly idea, but I would've been pissed if this was the way I found out about that part of the game.
Same. Didn't care about it much with most games, but the way this game was advertised and hinted at they wanted to wait til release and then show you the best they offered. Especially when you ran into amazing gobsmacker of surprises like
the Chemical Plant Act 2 boss.
. If that was spoiled then it wouldn't have the same impact

How am I missing all the big rings?! Can't find those mofos anywhere.

Really? I thought they were pretty easy to find...

DHYcl5kU0AAMVFH.jpg

I'm genuinely bummed Up-Down-Left-Right didn't do anything on the title screen.

I mean, I get it. But still.

It is and it does. You have to re-drop the special ring every time you clear the stage but you can keep going and use it to practice the special stages in order.

Whoa. Is that an unlock from the medals?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
For the unlocks, do they have to be gold medals from blue sphere, or can it be unlocked with silver?

Any word on how many blue sphere stages there are?

Top Bottom