• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community Season 3 |OT| Six Seasons and a Movie... feels Goodman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needs to be cancelled for its own good. Writers clearly have no idea how to develop the characters further than extrapolate on what has already been established. Afraid to make any of them move on.

NBC was trying to save us from episodes like this last one. See what happens when you get your way, Internet?

Or you could stop watching it since it's obviously so terrible to you, and then we wouldnt have to suffer your ignorance about the show. I myself dont continue to watch shows that I deem cancelable.

gabbo

The only "problem" that Community has for me at the moment is that its simply too dense comedically to take in on a single viewing. The pre-credits sections are particularly thick with small gags that come and go so quickly its hard to keep up.

I've also noticed a trend where a lot of fans get turned off when members of the study group get presented in a less than flattering light, with the disfavour being comparable to how popular the character is who's getting lampooned. Showing Jeff particularly in a negative light seems to bother people.

Jeff is almost never portrayed in a positive light though, so how could one episode this season showcasing his narcissism bubbling over be any worse than prior episodes that do the same thing?

Needs to be cancelled for its own good. Writers clearly have no idea how to develop the characters further than extrapolate on what has already been established. Afraid to make any of them move on.

NBC was trying to save us from episodes like this last one. See what happens when you get your way, Internet?

:l

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member

5gvzf.gif

The past two episodes needed to be watched three times each for me to truly appreciate their greatness. I still don't like the tone set by French Stewart and his leg-breaking threats, but otherwise there's a ton of little jokes in that episode that I only caught by watching it several times. Didn't notice that Duncan wrote Britta's new text book. I hope that means he'll show up again soon as her teacher. It was also cool when Troy saw Abed with his broken leg and asked who did they look like instead of what did they look like.

gabbo

The past two episodes needed to be watched three times each for me to truly appreciate their greatness. I still don't like the tone set by French Stewart and his leg-breaking threats, but otherwise there's a ton of little jokes in that episode that I only caught by watching it several times. Didn't notice that Duncan wrote Britta's new text book. I hope that means he'll show up again soon as her teacher. It was also cool when Troy saw Abed with his broken leg and asked who did they look like instead of what did they look like.

I.... have to go rewatch the episode now.

Holy crap, really?

Holy crap, really?

Yeah, I heard it the first time I watched it and remember thinking it sounded wrong, but this time it hit me why he said "who did they look like?" because French told him that the hitmen would resemble Michael Chicklis and Ving Rhames. It's a small joke but it's the kind of joke this show does so well.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
ITT: People pretend the first two seasons weren't hit and miss

Fuck that shit. I enjoy the misses and LOVE the hits. Maybe you cats are just unfunny goobers who thought every episode of the 1st two seasons were genius all the time, but to my eyes every season has had it's clunkers. Most shows are like that. Cancellation would be an awful thing.
Hell the split timeline episode is a top 3 episode IMO. Its worth an entire season of stinkers.

I noticed this as well, but I didn't think it was a subtle joke seeing as how the entire episode was filled with celebrity look-alikes... I kind of smirked when he said it, but is there something more to this that I'm missing?

I guess it isn't a subtle joke, but I just heard what I expected to hear: "What did they look like."

I guess it isn't a subtle joke, but I just heard what I expected to hear: "What did they look like."

It's subtle, which is why it wasn't immediately obvious. It's one of the gifts that this show gives. Repeated viewings are so great because you can pick up on things you may have missed the first time. Personally I missed out on the Faux-By joke the first time because I was too busy looking at the guy trying to determine if it was the real Moby.

Maffis

Holy shit, I hope Harmon et al. have seen that. Deserves their full endorsement. It's not actually Danny Pudi who did it, is it? It actually sounded like him.

if not, his Abed impersonation is amazing.

and also his Jeff. Sounds like the real people.

mj1108

You're the worst.

I just feel like the show is so different now compared to season 1 and 2. I mean, you rarely feel like the study group are actually students. Too few scenes in classrooms and the episode stories rarely reflect on them being actual students unlike in the first 2 seasons, most episodes were about classes, exams, student parties/events, etc.

I still watch it every week but It's not the same show to me, and definitely not as good as season 1/2.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm not a fan of the graphics stuff they did in the last two episodes, and that Troy/Abed moment got a bit too serious for too long, but the show's still fantastic.

You are streets behind, my friend.

Holy shit, I hope Harmon et al. have seen that. Deserves their full endorsement. It's not actually Danny Pudi who did it, is it? It actually sounded like him.
Parts of the audio are clearly stripped right out of the show. Namely Abed imitating the sound people make in Annie's movies when theyre offended and Chang.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Just saw this episode the other day, and I meant to go back and check, but...was the Moby impersonator the Dean?

gabbo

Just saw this episode the other day, and I meant to go back and check, but...was the Moby impersonator the Dean?

No, it was just someone who looks like Jim Rash, who looks like Moby.

I'll give Hydrogen Bluebird some due, I also wish some of this season was tied a little tighter to the school/classes, but there's still time and I'm enjoying the episodes as they are.
Also, loved Britta-bag's "beh-guh"

6 of the current 12 episodes focused squarely on school activities. The others followed paths similar to past seasons dealing with the groups lives together outside of school. I don't think it's all that different to be honest. An episode with the group in the library telling scary stories isn't any different than the group in the library playing Dungeons and Dragons. An episode about Annie moving in with Troy and Abed isn't a huge departure from an episode about Jeff moving into Abed's dorm room.

big ander

If it had been then Chang's thought about replacing the Dean with the Moby impersonator wouldn't have made sense.

Jim Rash plays the dean and is most famous for Community, writing The Descendants, and small roles in films like Minority Report.
J.P. Manoux has had roles in Phil of the Future, Wilfred, ER, Ocean's Eleven. He also had a guest role on How I Met Your Mother playing, wait for it, Not Moby. A guy that the main characters on HIMYM think is Moby, until he's not.

People have often compared Rash and Manoux because they look incredibly alike. Having Manoux play someone impersonating Moby and then comment on how he could replace the dean was a reference to the facts that 1) they look alike 2) in another show he impersonated moby.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
6 of the current 12 episodes focused squarely on school activities. The others followed paths similar to past seasons dealing with the groups lives together outside of school. I don't think it's all that different to be honest. An episode with the group in the library telling scary stories isn't any different than the group in the library playing Dungeons and Dragons. An episode about Annie moving in with Troy and Abed isn't a huge departure from an episode about Jeff moving into Abed's dorm room.

DONT YOU USE YOUR LOGIC HERE.

CzarTim

Dan said that season one would be entirely at the school, but each season would move more and more away from it. The show is called "Community" because, as stated in the pilot, they are more than just a study group, they are a community. The show was designed from the start to last beyond when they graduate. It may not last that long, but conceptually it could.

The last I remember is when they had to do a diorama or something for Biology class a little earlier this season.

Yup, and that was in episode 3, meaning the show has gone 9 episodes w/o even showing the study group as students in class. Now, maybe that was the plan from the start, to move away from the classroom/student setting, but it also means that it's a shift from how the study group was depicted in season 1 and 2 wherein the majority of episodes had classroom/studying/going to class scenes. That might not mean much to some people but what I liked most about the show was their community college adventures and their journey towards graduating w/c sadly, I don't think the show focuses too much on anymore.

Yup, and that was in episode 3, meaning the show has gone 9 episodes w/o even showing the study group as students in class. Now, maybe that was the plan from the start, to move away from the classroom/student setting, but it also means that it's a shift from how the study group was depicted in season 1 and 2 wherein the majority of episodes had classroom/studying/going to class scenes. That might not mean much to some people but what I liked most about the show was their community college adventures and their journey towards graduating w/c sadly, I don't think the show focuses too much on anymore.

Nothing has changed. The shows always been about the lives and experiences of the members of the study group. Occasionally the classroom is featured as a backdrop for the stories, but more often than not the backdrop is the library or other areas of the school. How many of the 12 episodes didn't feature the school prominently this season? 2 out of 12. And those two episodes are two of the very best of the season and best in the show's history. What a silly complaint.

Nothing has changed. The shows always been about the lives and experiences of the members of the study group. Occasionally the classroom is featured as a backdrop for the stories, but more often than not the backdrop is the library or other areas of the school. How many of the 12 episodes didn't feature the school prominently this season? 2 out of 12. And those two episodes are two of the very best of the season and best in the show's history. What a silly complaint.
Totally agree. Community shouldn't be limited to just Greendale. The show's unpredictability is one of its strongest strengths in my opinion.

Totally agree. Community shouldn't be limited to just Greendale. The show's unpredictability is one of its strongest strengths in my opinion.

But the unpredictability of Greendale it self is the biggest draw, I think. People like that escapism "this is what my school could be like!" aspect.

gabbo

This comes up all the time. There is a section of the the fans here (and I'd imagine elsewhere) that really enjoy the show being tied to the classroom/campus setting and the characters interacting within that, and there is another section that doesn't care where it happens so long as it's the characters interacting together.

I think those looking for more school oriented stuff will probably latch on to Troy's upcoming story arc.

mj1108

Spoilers (READ AT YOUR OWN RISK):

http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/03/mega-buzz-various-shows-28th-march-2012.html

What's coming up on Community? — Danielle
ADAM: Troy and Abed's two-part blanket fort battle! But as fun as it sounds, it actually threatens to pull the best buds apart. It's all part of a continued plan by Vice Dean Laybourne (John Goodman, who's now conspicuously sporting an evil goatee) to lure Troy away to the air-conditioning repair school. Worst of all, Laybourne creates the rift by using the duo's favorite TV show, Inspector Spacetime, against them.

If you still think nothing has changed well okay then.

How is it silly? My complaint is valid. You're not forced to agree but just because you disagree, it doesn't mean that my complaint is silly.

People in this thread man. Lol

Quick

Banned
Spoilers (READ AT YOUR OWN RISK):

http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/03/mega-buzz-various-shows-28th-march-2012.html

What's coming up on Community? — Danielle
ADAM: Troy and Abed's two-part blanket fort battle! But as fun as it sounds, it actually threatens to pull the best buds apart. It's all part of a continued plan by Vice Dean Laybourne (John Goodman, who's now conspicuously sporting an evil goatee) to lure Troy away to the air-conditioning repair school. Worst of all, Laybourne creates the rift by using the duo's favorite TV show, Inspector Spacetime, against them.

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

Eyeh4wk

How is it silly? My complaint is valid. You're not forced to agree but just because you disagree, it doesn't mean that my complaint is silly.

My favorites episodes were mostly from season 1, when the episodes were more grounded and about the classes. But I can see why people like the zany episodes more.

It's silly because of how wrong you are. You claim the change occurred this season.

What's changed then? Both seasons two and three have had episodes that didnt take place at the school. This season has had only two of those so far. Each of the 3 seasons has numerous episodes that take place at the school but not inside of a classroom as well as a few that focus on the classroom. This season isnt any different. It started off with three classroom episodes, mixed in 2 apartment episodes, and the rest were all school-related that took place in or around the library. What's the big change? Did My Dinner With Abed not occur last season? Pierce in the hospital for an entire episode? Abed's Xmas Special? The entire episode that occurred at a bar for Troys 21st birthday? The episode that took place almost totally on a KFC Space Vehicle? But yeah, the people in this thread are so uninformed. Silly.

It's silly because of how wrong you are. You claim the change occurred this season.

What's changed then? Both seasons two and three have had episodes that didnt take place at the school. This season has had only two of those so far. Each of the 3 seasons has numerous episodes that take place at the school but not inside of a classroom as well as a few that focus on the classroom. This season isnt any different. It started off with three classroom episodes, mixed in 2 apartment episodes, and the rest were all school-related that took place in or around the library. What's the big change? Did My Dinner With Abed not occur last season? Pierce in the hospital for an entire episode? Abed's Xmas Special? The entire episode that occurred at a bar for Troys 21st birthday? The episode that took place almost totally on a KFC Space Vehicle? But yeah, the people in this thread are so uninformed. Silly.

How can I be wrong ? It's my own fucking opinion. Are you so butthurt about any complaints about this show that you have to call complaints silly and just tell people that they're wrong?

Just because it takes place in the school, doesn't mean the episode is school/community college oriented. What I liked about the previous seasons was even though the activities or events shown had nothing to do with studying or going to class, it was still in the template of the community college experience. The Space Bus was for a school subject that was about to be offered, the zombie episode was a school dance gone wrong, modern warfare was a paintball game where the winner gets freedom to schedule his/her classes as they see fit, etc. This season, we've had a marriage episode, new apartment episodes, a gay party, a Foosball episode, etc. In my opinion, most of the episodes/stories this season have diverted away from the community college experience and more into the personal lives of the study group. Now, I'm not saying that's bad but I just prefer the more student/community college/graduating - centric episodes since the major reason I watched community was because it reminded me of the college experience even though I have since graduated.

Let me ask you this, how many episodes this season have had classroom/studying/going to class scenes? Not a lot I guarantee. Go back and watch the first 12 episodes of season 2, you'll notice a lot more classroom/studying/going to class scenes/dialogue.

Besides, the zany-ness of the episodes this season have really increased, I mean, there's the dreamatorium scenes, the split timeline scenes, evil study group etc. Of course the previous season was also wacky, but I definitely think it wasn't as wacky as the episodes this season. And before you call me silly or wrong, that's just my opinion and I'm not forcing anything down your throat.

Highlighted why your argument is silly. It's not a matter of opinion either, it's just wrong. The move away from the classroom scenes began near the end of season 1 and definitely continued throughout season 2. Classroom scenes in the 2 paintball episodes? How about the fake flashback episode? Dungeons and Dragons episode have a lot of classroom scenes in it? Just 4 more examples to go along with the others I already listed. This show isn't about a group of people going to class. Being in the classroom has never been a huge part of any season. Perhaps you'd be better served by Welcome Back Kotter reruns.

Dreamatorium is definitely high on the zany meter, but so is Abed filming a movie about himself being Jesus in season 2. We obviously differ in our opinion of the show, which is fine, but my main issue was that you said it started this season. It really didn't. It started with the Paintball episode in season 1, which turned out to be their most popular show, which I'm sure encouraged them to get even more and more nutty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom