• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler leaves G4/X-Play

Parch

Lucas would hire Sessler for Reviews on the Run and EP in a second. He could come to Canada to co-host or join the LA team.

I thought Sessler produced those live E3 shows as well so he could end up behind the scenes somewhere. He has plenty of options with his rep in the industry.

The G4 ship sank a long time ago with crappy writing, a whole sum of two unwatchable shows, endless reruns of COPS, Cheaters, Campus PD, and general un-funny. After it killed any gaming shows it had, and after it killed the quirky TechTV shows, the network has been dying a slow and horrible death over the years. I'm actually surprised that Adam has been on board this long. Glad he's going to move on to bigger and better things.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I never watched G4, but I really hated this dude. The face + voice combo was intolerable and I disagreed with his gaming views more often than not. I'd rather he stay at G4 so I know I won't run into his face while roaming the net.

Now did you hate Sessler or the character Sessler played? Because those are two very different people.

Effect

Didn't always agreed with Sessler but at least liked how he presented things. However G4 is a shell of it's former self and then it was never a great channel. It stopped being really watchable as a whole I think when it stopped being G4TechTV (Tech shows, gaming, and even an anime block. How I saw and enjoyed Read or Die and Last Exile). Once they started to remove all of that was the beginning of the end. It's a worthless channel now and when DirecTV dropped them I was only annoyed because I wouldn't be able to see E3 coverage. I could DVR it and call it a day instead of streaming it. The problems it has is of it's own doing.

I honestly never understood going in the direction to being a channel that shows reruns of COPS for hours, etc. How did they think that was a good idea?

iirate

I didn't always see eye to eye with him, but he seemed like such a nice dude. Also, holy crap @ 14 years, I can't believe he hosted X-PLAY for that long.

I wish him luck in whatever comes next.

codhand

He recently got that badass, bald head, long side chops thing going on, must've inspired him to make a ballsy move.

I hope he did one of these

tumblr_lzik8xavjn1qm7mblo1_500.gif

Very big loss, but I'm glad he can move on to better things. I hope he doesn't go off in some other direction and stays tied with the game industry.

This E3 will be very awkward w/out him.
Never understood why people rate him. He just seems to be on some pedestal because he worked at a television network. Whenever he's said something controversial or provocative I've disagreed with him.

Yaa, that's why we liked him!

neoism

Now Morgan can leave and G4 can go fuck themselves.

she used to be really cute, but she just got jaded as fuck, the show started sucking really bad, becasue they would review games no one would play or buy knowing they were terrible just to make shitty jokes... sooo bad. I enjoy ATOS though but the channel has been shit for a loong time.

rCIZZLE

It'd be nice if things like thestream.tv would become popular enough to get people like Sessler on board. Live streaming seems to be the direction it's heading, especially for the audience the legit shows on G4 target.

CTE

Well I won't miss his shoulders that's for sure. Awkward to say the least. Made his delivery kind of off-putting. Why are they so high up all the time?

That being said. I hardly ever agree with his reviews so no big loss.

No way EP or RotR should hire him, though. Wouldn't fit in with Vic and crew.

Sessler is one of the very few guys in the industry who, when I disagree with him, it's not because he doesn't know all the facts or he's blinding himself to obvious shit. A lot of the things he said I disagreed with, but it was a matter of perspective and not misinformation. I think the industry needs more dudes like that instead of the two separate echo chambers that are forums and journalist circles.

kameha5th

Banned
You know GAF, I've known Sesler since I was 9 years old. I'm now 19 turning 20 this coming August and this news kinda -- somehow breaks my heart.

Not sure if anyone is experiencing this but G4 was all about XPLAY for me. The new AOTS just isn't the same.

KidDork

This thread reminds me that I miss the old G4 tv. Sure it was rough around the edges but I really enjoyed shows like Cinematech, Icons, and even G4TV.com plus even throwaway shows like Blister, Cheat, and that countdown show with Diane Mizota.

SIGH.

It was like some weird dream come true. I especially loved the show where they just sat at a table and talked games for half an hour.

I can't see Morgan staying much longer. She's getting a little old in the tooth for the average G4 viewer. Be nice if she and Sessler could do a podcast on their own--I always liked their dynamic when they went off-script.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Short of Morgan returning to her cute, Winona Ryder-esque look, I'm out. Her "character" on the show has the personality of a jaded 16 year old boy.

9WPPj.jpg

The good 'ole days!

Strike

The first post-Sessler show should be airing tomorrow. G4 isn't really going to be the same without him. AOTS won't be able to carry the network on its own. I really think this could be the beginning of the end.

bon

I kind of liked X-Play back when it was Extended Play and Sessler was the only host. I hope he gets a good gig somewhere else.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I like how the promo graphics for X-Play episodes coming up in May still had Sessler in them during the Ninja Warrior episodes I caught this weekend.

Infinity

I wish Adam nothing but the best. G4 has seriously tanked since they destroyed TechTV.

If someone here knows Adam personally, coax him into creating a NeoGAF account, provided he doesn't already have one. Have him join this party so he can keep us posted on his next venture.

zlatko

Banned
I wish Adam nothing but the best. G4 has seriously tanked since they destroyed TechTV.

If someone here knows Adam personally, coax him into creating a NeoGAF account, provided he doesn't already have one. Have him join this party so he can keep us posted on his next venture.

He'll be approved in a year. Don't worry.

tkscz

Previous to TechTV/G4 being bought by E!, Adam wasn't a bad person. His reviews felt legit (back when he did his reviews) and his opinions were his. Then E! bought them and shit went down hill fast. You can just tell those weren't the same people reviewing what ever they played. Hell, couldn't even tell if they played them (they pointed out issues not in the game). In my eye, this is a saving grace for him. May he find work elsewhere.

Also, extended play was always better than X-play.

Would love if Sessler started working for Greedy TV. He'd be great on EP Daily and Reviews on the Run.

Every since they started airing in HD in Canada, I cancelled my package that had G4 on it and haven't looked back since.

grkazan12

The thing that I don't understand about that channel is that I know that they basically re branded themselves as another Spike TV, but what's the point if your ratings aren't doing too excellent. If the re branding was irrelevant to their ratings, then why not try something different and go back to a Tech TV style format.

The thing that I don't understand about that channel is that I know that they basically re branded themselves as another Spike TV, but what's the point if your ratings aren't doing too excellent. If the re branding was irrelevant to their ratings, then why not try something different and go back to a Tech TV style format.

TechTV was too amazing, going back to the way they were would be the smart thing to do. But the people that run G4 aren't that smart.

legacyzero

Banned
Cant stand G4. "Here is all kinds of tech stuff! Coming up next: CHEATERS."

But I sure do love me some Kristen Holt and Morgan Webb! (haters gonna hate)

I truly do like Adam Sessler, though. I hope he goes so an awesome website, or Spike TV? Gametrailers? Giant Bomb?

RPGCrazied

Looks like Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are reruns, and Thursday is the Ghost Recon special. If they say anything about him leaving, it'll be on Thursday. I'm sure since he left on bad terms they will just phase him out and put Blair in his spot and just continue on.

Looks like Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are reruns, and Thursday is the Ghost Recon special. If they say anything about him leaving, it'll be on Thursday. I'm sure since he left on bad terms they will just phase him out and put Blair in his spot and just continue on.

I thought X-Play only aired Monday - Wednesday now?

ari

Banned
he was the only one that said that the wii would own this generation on the 1up show e3 special.

those were the days.

oh and when ever comcast bought/shitted on the network and tech tv. it went below internet podcast tv status :/

Ah. Well, I just checked my DVR, and like I said they are reruns Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The new episode is on 5/3 which is a Thursday. Who knows whats going on over there after losing Adam.

Yeah, I just checked also, and it does look like tonight's episode is a rerun. To be honest, I haven't watched X-Play in a while, but only due to a lack of time, not because of a dislike for the show. So, yeah, who knows what is going on now. I will DVR every episode until a new one airs, just in case.

plc268

It's why I have no love for G4. If it was primarily about gaming and tech... great. But to devolve your programming into a b-rate spike tv clone, then what's the point?

As much as I'd love for them to go back to TechTv style programming, it's been largely outdone by various video podcasts, some of them by some of the original people from TechTV.

Top Bottom