• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Dawn |OT| It's always grimmest at dawn.

Has Crate said anything about respeccing Devotion? Respeccing skill points is nice, but Devotion can be so powerful when done right.

Im so paranoid about allocating points into it, since I dont want to fuck it up and bork my character.

You can fully respec devotion.

I did it more then once on a character.

You need aether crystals and iron.

I backed this during the Kickstarter but only began to put a few hours this past Christmas break. Now I'm back for the full release. Well done, Crate. Well done.

I'm only level 17 so far. Is scrap just going to be a rare as hell resource? I've found maybe 15 pieces as loot and I just unlocked the blacksmith.

I backed this during the Kickstarter but only began to put a few hours this past Christmas break. Now I'm back for the full release. Well done, Crate. Well done.

I'm only level 17 so far. Is scrap just going to be a rare as hell resource? I've found maybe 15 pieces as loot and I just unlocked the blacksmith.

Scrap can be purchased on occasion from vendors. I make sure to check them every time I visit town and buy all if they have some. It's used for some quests, and eventually crafting gear, though I don't use it for for gear until a much higher level.

Scrap can be purchased on occasion from vendors. I make sure to check them every time I visit town and buy all if they have some. It's used for some quests, and eventually crafting gear, though I don't use it for for gear until a much higher level.

Hmm, so I shouldn't be upgrading my gear exclusively through the blacksmith?

Fedemgsuy

Quick question, i wanna play something close to the witch hunter from Warhammer (gun and sword), wich classes should i mix?

Quick question, i wanna play something close to the witch hunter from Warhammer (gun and sword), wich classes should i mix?

You can't equip a melee and ranged at the same time. Maybe a new class will be added in the future that enables that. Closest you can do now is swap between sword+whatever and pistol+whatever.

There's actually a 'witch hunter' class in game though. It is Occultist + Nightblade. I'm not certain how it compares to Warhammer's.

Fedemgsuy

You can't equip a melee and ranged at the same time. Maybe a new class will be added in the future that enables that. Closest you can do now is swap between sword+whatever and pistol+whatever.

There's actually a 'witch hunter' class in game though. It is Occultist + Nightblade. I'm not certain how it compares to Warhammer's.

Thanks, sounds interesting anyway, will try and see.

Fedemgsuy

Im having a very strange problem, in the first boot, the game started windowed, in some stranger rectangular resolution, after restarting, i got full screen 1080p, but no clickable text on screen, the cursor is visible btw

Purkake4

Banned
This is really fun. I think the OT should maybe include some simple, but effective build recommendations. I know I messed my first build up something fierce.

Game has been purchased and downloaded. Definitely looking forward to playing it tonight. I can see myself redoing my chars initially about a dozen times over finding a class combo that suits me.

Going to try Pyromancer first (Demo + Occultist)!

Im having a very strange problem, in the first boot, the game started windowed, in some stranger rectangular resolution, after restarting, i got full screen 1080p, but no clickable text on screen, the cursor is visible btw

Can you do a files check through steam? Also what GPU do you use.

go into the games data folder and run repair.exe

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm thinking about giving this a shot, but not sure. I love Diablo games and ARPG's in general, but find PoE to be a total fucking bore and am worried this will feel the same.

This is really fun. I think the OT should maybe include some simple, but effective build recommendations. I know I messed my first build up something fierce.

I plan to post some summaries for builds I've enjoyed, maybe this weekend if I have time. Then I'll dedicate a section in the OP to linking to them, as well as those any other people want to share.

I'm thinking about giving this a shot, but not sure. I love Diablo games and ARPG's in general, but find PoE to be a total fucking bore and am worried this will feel the same.

You could give it a couple hours and if you find yourself not enjoying it then ask for a Steam refund. I couldn't really get into PoE either but it's because I was tired of all the currency shenanigans and throwing it at items to try and get what I needed. It felt like I was playing the slots, and I hate slot machines.

dondarm

Banned

There is an "options.txt" file located under C:/User/>Username</My Documents/My Games/Grim Dawn/Settings/

Try changing the "ScreenMode" line. 0 Should be fullscreen, 1 and 2 windowed and borderless windowed mode (not sure which one is which). You can also change the resolution there if necessary.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

This happened to me as well, doing a couple of alt enters fixed it up.

I plan to post some summaries for builds I've enjoyed, maybe this weekend if I have time. Then I'll dedicate a section in the OP to linking to them, as well as those any other people want to share.

Just a suggestion but maybe you could link to the build compendium on the forums in the OT.

That way the people that want something to follow have a bunch of builds to choose from.

Just a suggestion ;-)

Purkake4

Banned
Great idea. There's a lot of interesting combinations and the official forums can get a little circlejerky.

My oh my. I'm going for a pet build on Occultist and they are messing fools up. I can just stand there while my laser bird and fire dog kill everything.

Just a suggestion but maybe you could link to the build compendium on the forums in the OT.

That way the people that want something to follow have a bunch of builds to choose from.

Just a suggestion ;-)

Good suggestion. I've added it in the 'useful links' near the top for now.

My oh my. I'm going for a pet build on Occultist and they are messing fools up. I can just stand there while my laser bird and fire dog kill everything.

Occultist fire dog + Shaman thorn beast carry my pet build. I rushed hellhound, capped its 16 points, unlocked shaman, then rushed to briarthorn and capped its 16. Then I worked on a few debuffs to support them with while making my way to 1 point in Bonds of Bysmial, then 10 into Manipulation. After I pumped into shaman to get Primal Bond.

Anyone playing with a Steam Controller? I would like to couch game this one and I wonder how well it works.

I am, and it works wonderfully. The developers have created a brilliant control scheme specifically for the Steam Controller, and the in game UI will display the controller's buttons instead of the number keys for your mapped skills. Moving around with the analog stick is absolutely fine, and I haven't had any targeting issues thus far.

Slay Warden Krieg on Veteran Mode with a character under level 11. DONE!!

What a boring fight and glad it's over. Used like a 100 potions give or take.

With a soldier at level 9. There will be better skills to do it with. I did it with forcewave.

5j4A99d.jpg

sobaka770

Banned
While I like the inventiveness of the classes and the world in this game, after Diablo 3, the combat just feels clunky, and the overall graphics too brown and boring. Had the same issue with PoE. I know these smaller satisfied cannot really compete with Blizzard on polish and at design, but when killing lots of monsters is pretty much the goal of the game, it's important to get that part right.

I think I'll get through the story and be done, but I do not regret purchasing this either.

Volodja

Slay Warden Krieg on Veteran Mode with a character under level 11. DONE!!

What a boring fight and glad it's over. Used like a 100 potions give or take.

With a soldier at level 9. There will be better skills to do it with. I did it with forcewave.

5j4A99d.jpg
Some underleveled fights even in Veteran seem to be just boring, you only need to stay on top of your potion quaffing and you can just chip away at the enemy without many issues. In particular Warden Krieg has a very clear and easily dodgeable pattern.
Didn't do it at such a low level (that's hella low, actually, damn), but I was still underleveled and it just took forever.

While I like the inventiveness of the classes and the world in this game, after Diablo 3, the combat just feels clunky, and the overall graphics too brown and boring. Had the same issue with PoE. I know these smaller satisfied cannot really compete with Blizzard on polish and at design, but when killing lots of monsters is pretty much the goal of the game, it's important to get that part right.

I think I'll get through the story and be done, but I do not regret purchasing this either.

Yeah, there is a lot of brown, but keep playing. The environments get a bit better as you progress and graphically, I think it looks quite nice. I honestly much prefer the graphic style of this over Diablo by far, but that's just my opinion. Keep playing and see if your mind changes as you get much later into the game.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well I learned more about the story in 5 minutes thanks to the voice acting and intro than I did in the 100 hours I played it. Both are such great additions to the game. I also tested controller support and it's not bad, traversing the menu is a bit clumsy but apart from that it's fine, the auto targeting works well enough although can be improved (why am I auto targeting a barrel instead of the mob next to it? A priority system needs to be added). Also panning the camera felt clunky and was causing some FPS dips for me, I'm not sure if that's exclusive to controller though.

The first act is by far the most ugly and boring, it really does get better with each act, the mob design also improves massively.

Wow, no idea that there's a nexus page for Grim Dawn already. Nothing there yet, though.
Is the game supposed to get a mod tool later?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Running fine at 4k/60 with 2 x Titan X in the intro area at least. It needed to be set to Alternate Frame Rendering 2 with AA disabled. Otherwise, everything's maxed out. Will see how things hold up once there are some enemies and effects piled up on screen.

I thought it might have been better to run single card with one dedicated to SLI antialiasing, but it didn't make it past 30fps with that configuration for some reason despite the usage numbers being low.

cirrhosis

The first act is by far the most ugly and boring, it really does get better with each act, the mob design also improves massively.

Have to second this. I've dumped 350 hours into the game thus far.

First act is the worst. Stick with Veteran difficulty over norm. By the time you reach Elite there will be some crazy mobs over the next acts. It's a great feeling when you pull out all the stops to get past some encounters.

The game can be brown, but hey, IMO it has more color variation than Mad Max.

Gothos

Matter of taste really. If you're looking for brainless play, then sure, D3 is king. But the shallow mechanics just makes D3 so boring to play in the long term. PoE and GD is made for people who value depth of gameplay, interesting itemization, robust character progression and some permanence to their characters.

Those games are made for completely different demographics and it's okay to like one and not the other :p

Some underleveled fights even in Veteran seem to be just boring, you only need to stay on top of your potion quaffing and you can just chip away at the enemy without many issues. In particular Warden Krieg has a very clear and easily dodgeable pattern.
Didn't do it at such a low level (that's hella low, actually, damn), but I was still underleveled and it just took forever.

Yeah that's actually why i don't play veteran. It's just more kiting(longer fights) and i just want to get the hell out of normal.

Durante

I'll not get to this for a while, seeing as I want to play the entire thing in coop, but it's great to see it finally released!

This happened to me as well, for some reason the game tried starting up in 1080 x 2880 (yes, that's horizontal x vertical!) resolution. Simply going to the config text file and manually entering the correct resolution fixed everything up though.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Can u add to the op that if u got mage u have to spec into physique or ur fucked end game

Haroon

I've been playing this quite some time with a friend. It's an amazing game. Been running a Shadowblade (Dual-wielding guy) + Demolisher (Gun shooting guy) combination, and it's been working quite well. If anyone is looking for a party, please let me know. We have two more slots open. We're around the level 28-32 range, and we use a voip client to communicate.

Good to know. Haven't enjoyed exploring the world in the first act, I do find it ugly.

Can u add to the op that if u got mage u have to spec into physique or ur fucked end game

You spec on Physique for the armor requirements?
Thinking of going Soldier and getting the passive that gives health and physique %, but didn't know if it was good. Want some survivability in my build.

I've been following this game ever since the kickstarter and I'm glad to see how good the game has turned out to be.

Question, is this game worth getting if I'm going to be playing it purely single player? Is it designed with coop in mind?

cirrhosis

I've been following this game ever since the kickstarter and I'm glad to see how good the game has turned out to be.

Question, is this game worth getting if I'm going to be playing it purely single player? Is it designed with coop in mind?

It's firstly a single-player game that happens to have a well-done co-op included. It's fun with friends but easily possible to play solo if that's your intention.

Anyone having performing issues?
Sometimes opening a chest drops it from 60 to 30, random fights it drops up to 24, 30, 44 etc and other random shit.
Running medium settings, wish the framerate was consistent.

i7-4700MQ
GTX 770M

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I cleaned out and reinstalled drivers and that didn't help much with performance, then I started a new character to see the intro and stuff and now it's running as well as it did previously, so never dropping below 50 :D

Ricker

A friend will lend me his Steam Controller today so I can try the gamepad support...with the 360 controller,it doesnt even show the buttons prompts(like A,Y etc etc) and looks like it does with Steam and see how I like it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone having performing issues?
Sometimes opening a chest drops it from 60 to 30, random fights it drops up to 24, 30, 44 etc and other random shit.
Running medium settings, wish the framerate was consistent.

i7-4700MQ
GTX 770M

Put lighting to low, it has a bigger impact on performance than every setting combined for me, anything above low causes big dips and I'm using a GTX 970.

MGrant

*play hardcore, destroy everything in Act 1*
*walk into Warden's Cellar*
"Hey, this water seems to be making my life go down. I'd better-"
*You are dead!*

A friend will lend me his Steam Controller today so I can try the gamepad support...with the 360 controller,it doesnt even show the buttons prompts(like A,Y etc etc) and looks like it does with Steam and see how I like it.

Yeah, same thing (360 controller not showing the button prompts to assign them). However, I'm definitely impressed with the steam controller support. It works surprisingly well actually, probably one of the best examples of use of the steam controller I've had so far outside of Civ 5.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I'm definitely happy with the final release build. I was a bit iffy during early access, but with the full release and xinput/controller support, I'm on board. It's pretty solid.

Top Bottom