• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Foreigner (Jackie Chan, Pierce Brosnan) - Official Trailer

IronRinn

So someone posted a inner jacket blurb of the plot of the book this was based on and it seemed to be a huge piece of kinda racist garbage, but the trailer looks like a solid action movie, even if it is another I'm-A-Middle-Aged/Old-Dude-With-A-Secret-Past-Who-Will-Hurt/Kill-You-For-What-You-Did-To-My-Wife/Daughter movie.

Pandy

Well, TIL. Maybe I'm too used to his English accent, it sounded off to me.

EDIT: Okay, now in my defense in interviews his normal speaking voice is not full on irish.
Nah, his normal accent isn't full-on, hence me playing the soft-ball.

It was just one of those, 'of all the things in the trailer you could choose to complain about' things. :)

Definitely not the typical Jackie Chan movie, has he ever played anything but a good guy caught in a bad situation? He looks so sad in some of the scenes that I just wanna hug him :(

Probably won't watch in theaters but definitely a redbox rental. Saw Kung Fu Yoga recently with him and it was awesome.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
It probably won't happen but faux Gerry Adams getting laid out by Jackie Chan might be the greatest thing I ever see

STX as a studio is a wildcard of quality (they released the The Bye-Bye Man and The Circle earlier this year) but this looks solid. Always willing to see Jackie Chan doing something, especially since this look remarkably different from the action films he usually does.

4k14Kof.gif

Saw that and it went from interesting to must see. That plus the kitchen section. Mr. Chan is still going hard at 63.

I'm in for PUNISHED CHAN but I'm not expecting to get my mind blown or anything like that. I just want a solid action film.

If I'm being completely honest Jackie looked and sounded straight up bored whenever he was shown. It's like he was trying to do an impression of "grizzled, serious old timer with nothing to lose" but just ended up sounded like he was disinterested.

Lurch666

Read a book ages ago called the Chinaman and this film sounds like a take on it.
I remember it as being pretty good.
Dude from Vietnam has family killed by an IRA bomb and goes for revenge on the IRA leaders using tactics he learned in the Vietnam war.
Just wondering if this scenario will fit modern times.

Read a book ages ago called the Chinaman and this film sounds like a take on it.
I remember it as being pretty good.
Dude from Vietnam has family killed by an IRA bomb and goes for revenge on the IRA leaders using tactics he learned in the Vietnam war.
Just wondering if this scenario will fit modern times.

It's literally an adaptation of that very novel.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Jackie Antagonist Chan, now there's something you don't see every day
Antagonist? Buddy I was cheering for him through the entire bit. James Bond knows who killed Jackie's daughter, and he's covering it up. Get'em Jackie!

Fuchsdh

Jackie can still do his own stunts?

Some of them, but he doesn't do all of them himself anymore (hasn't for at least a decade at this point?) and there's more wirework and stuff. Can't blame him, when you get older it's far more likely you'll get hurt somehow and it'll take a lot longer to recover from it if you do.

I don't think this film has much of a chance if the whole point is to get the names of the people, it's more the morality of revenge, instead it looks to be two hours of senseless action to fill time.

Never saw that or any of his Police Story movies. I'll have to check them out

Shinjuku Incident was definitely a dark story from the little bits I saw, Jackie was a normal guy in that one.

But the early Police Story were old school Hong Kong action comedy. It's the recent sequels that went down the dark path.

Cuburt

I'm interested just since this is such a drastic turn from pretty much ever role I've ever seen Jackie Chan in.

Top Bottom