• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

panda-zebra

Love Festwill's words on these matters, gotta be inspiring to be on the receiving end of his advice :)

Hey and like thestopsign said - walking, do that! Wish I'd mixed it up with 1-2 hour walks replacing some of those 20-30 minute runs in the early days, I'd be better for it now.

I've not done much the past month, I think today is the first day I sort of feel myself again, filthy virus really kicked my backside and recovery has been incredibly slow. The upside is all those little niggles and something-not-quite-rights are no more. So going to ease back in and try my best not to get carried away with race entries. I'm going to enjoy visiting a few parkruns I think, missed them.

AYou get out of it exactly what you put in. Hard work and smart training yield results. There are no shortcuts, and when you toe the starting line, you are what you made yourself to be.

Couldn't have said it better myself! It's probably why after years of not doing anything super active, nor finding any sport I'd be interested in participating in, I got drawn into long distance running.

Stanng243

Alright, for reference, I'm roughly your age (turning 40 this year), slightly taller and used to be of a comparable weight. Took me several years of consistent running to get myself in shape to even consider doing a marathon.

As Duebrithil mentioned (I tip my hat to you, good Sir), a couch-to-5K would be a great start to get you into running. If you want to be able to deal with a marathon, you need to learn to deal with a 5K first. Then from there you can start building up mileage and fitness, and branch into marathon training, or some intermediate goal; people typically stretch goal distances progressively, from 5, to 10, to semi, to full M (not that you specifically need to do that).

You're your own man and set your own goals, but having walked the path you're embarking on, I'll stress that it's in your own interest not to underestimate the physical and mental strain of running (it is difficult, significantly more so than in-suspension exercise such as cycling and swimming), and not to underestimate the distance of a marathon. If you pick up running by the wrong side of it, it'll kick your ass (shin splints, stress fractures, tendinitis, etc). Ambitious goals are good. Unreasonable goals can be dangerous.

I also want to mention that running is a pure, honest and beautiful sport as well. There is no cheating in running (short of doping, but we're not going there). You get out of it exactly what you put in. Hard work and smart training yield results. There are no shortcuts, and when you toe the starting line, you are what you made yourself to be.

Best of luck and don't hesitate if you want more specific tips on how to concretely proceed going forward.

Fistwell and Dueb have mentioned this, but seriously start with a couch to 5k and focus on losing weight. Honestly you are bound to struggle distance running at that weight and end up hurting your knees in the process. Start with daily walks and fixing your diet a bit and work your way to brief intervals of jogging. My other piece of advice is to not take two days off in a row. That is when you lose the habit.

Thank you for your help. I've run 5k's before. I like the ones where they give you beer at the end. It's apparently been 4 years since my last one. I didn't realize it's been so long. I will say there's nothing beautiful about running. It's an evil thing that saps the soul, and I hate it. I just want to try and finish a marathon though, mainly to do one before my brother does..

Fistwell

I will say there's nothing beautiful about running. It's an evil thing that saps the soul, and I hate it.
Oh I was right there with you a few years ago. It's evil and painful and demeaning, when you're not in shape. The beauty is in the change. As you improve physically and mentally, you improve performance, and improve running comfort. It's not sapping the soul as much as it is forging it. Painful for a while, but it pays off*.

* disclaimer: running isn't for everyone. Only pays off if you stick with it for long enough and put in the effort. To go from zero to M will likely take some efforts.

I tried running at my gym yesterday because the weather has been awful in NC (thunderstorms in the morning?!) and it did not go well. There's something special about running outdoors that keeps me going. I'm going to have to suck it up and learn how to run outside in this heat and humidity.

I've been taking a bit of a break as I just got back from a very active vacation (walking 6-10 miles or biking 20-50 miles a day) but I hope to get back into running 2-3 miles every other day. Now that I can run a 5k without walking, I'm going to try and pick up a bit more distance each week. Would love to be able to run a 10K by sometime in August.

Should have started training by now for another half marathon but I have what appears to be a corn right on the ball of my foot. Had it for a few weeks now and it's really starting to hurt.

Any runners get them and managed to treat it without getting it cut out? I've tried the ring plasters but nothing seems to be making it go.

Is there a good beginner training plan out there that's free?

Are you looking for a website or an app? What distance? I've been using 10K for iOS and it's a pretty decent, simple free app. The first 8 weeks are a couch to 5K program. There are ads because it's free, but they're not super intrusive.

I will say there's nothing beautiful about running. It's an evil thing that saps the soul, and I hate it. I just want to try and finish a marathon though, mainly to do one before my brother does..

Fighting words... And I don't want beginners reading this and getting the wrong idea. ;)

Chances are, if running consistently makes you feel like crap, you're running above your pace. Many inexperienced runners push themselves way too hard, trying to grind themselves into shape and burning motivation.

Focus on getting miles under your belt, even if you move at the pace of a snail. Hell, even walk if your body needs it. Good breathing, a loose bouncy form and being to hold a conversation or sing a song as you go should be central to most of your training (say three quarters of all runs.) If you do that and keep to sane and measured training intervals, you'll feel like a champion for the rest of the day.

If there's one thing I want to go back and tell my younger self when I started out running it's this: slow the hell down and stop showing off... Speed comes at its own pace, don't force it... go further, not faster.

I tried running at my gym yesterday because the weather has been awful in NC (thunderstorms in the morning?!) and it did not go well. There's something special about running outdoors that keeps me going. I'm going to have to suck it up and learn how to run outside in this heat and humidity.

What I do is I imagine myself running along my usual route, using the treadmill distance to know where I'd be. It's still kind of boring but it makes it a little more bearable. Completely agreed on running outside: I love seeing different streets and buildings while running, variation is the spice of life!

Is there a good beginner training plan out there that's free?

Can't go wrong with C25K: http://www.c25k.com/c25k_metric.html

Stanng243

I'd hate running too if that was my only motivation.

There's some side benefits like getting in shape, losing weight, but those aren't big motivators to me. Beating my brother is more motivation.

Fighting words... And I don't want beginners reading this and getting the wrong idea. ;)

Chances are, if running consistently makes you feel like crap, you're running above your pace. Many inexperienced runners push themselves way too hard, trying to grind themselves into shape and burning motivation.

Focus on getting miles under your belt, even if you move at the pace of a snail. Hell, even walk if your body needs it. Good breathing, a loose bouncy form and being to hold a conversation or sing a song as you go should be central to most of your training (say three quarters of all runs.) If you do that and keep to sane and measured training intervals, you'll feel like a champion for the rest of the day.

If there's one thing I want to go back and tell my younger self when I started out running it's this: slow the hell down and stop showing off... Speed comes at its own pace, don't force it... go further, not faster.

I am a beginner runner. Well, I'm trying to be one. To be fair, when i went through basic training for the army, I ran enough for a lifetime. It wasn't that much fun either, being Georgia in the summer. I haven't run enough lately for that to be the cause of me feeling like crap.

Goodlife

Doing a half on Sunday.
Bit gutted about it, was following training plan closely, felt really good.
Then I had a bout of gout which took a few weeks to get over.
Then I went on hols for a week which has really fucked me up. Managed 1 run when I was out there due to the heat and just had no motivation to get back into it since I've been back.
Have gone from targeting 1.45 to, honestly, just looking to finish.

Usually I'd just say fuck it and not do it, but group of 6 of us are raising money for the local school and we're up to nearly £1k so got to go through with it.

Meh.

So, running shirt or singlet? Never worn a singlet and think about purchasing one for races. I guess they are better for keeping your body cool, right? But I have a hunch I will feel kinda akward in one.

I hate moving out. I've been drained since I've been going to the apt every morning and bringing stuff back to the house, then going to work. Haven't gone for a run in a week.

Also our gas still isn't on because the gas company employs assholes who show up at 6:30pm instead of their "all-day window" of 8am-5pm, meaning we'd given up on him coming and we're not there so he doesn't turn the shit on. :mad:

So I can't cook either.

partime

I only ran one marathon, just under 4 hours, and I trained 10 weeks, 3 times a week: mostly track sessions on Tuesday and Thursday, long run on Sunday.

Trained for 2 1/2 months of just running 3 times a week and you subbed 4 hours?!

What do you mean by track sessions for your shorter runs?

I only ran one marathon, just under 4 hours, and I trained 10 weeks, 3 times a week: mostly track sessions on Tuesday and Thursday, long run on Sunday.

I'm guessing you must've previously had a large aerobic base from other sports/activities to play with? Still, very impressive!

Been wearing Asics Kayanos for years. I've had good luck with supportive shoes with my completely flat feet. Picked up a pair of DS Trainers for races and tempo/track. Wore them out today for a few easy miles and WOW what a difference a lighter shoe makes! I might need to make these my daily drivers!

snacknuts

we all knew her
I am almost six weeks into training for a half marathon in early Nov. When I started I could barely run a mile. I did a five week C25K thing that ended last week, and am on a "normal" training schedule of running four times per week. Last night I did three miles in 28:46. I had to stop twice to take walk breaks of 90 seconds each. My body is still adjusting, especially my knees, but it has been nice feeling myself getting better at this, bit by tiny bit. I am 38, 6'2", and was at 218 lbs when I started; I'm down to 212 (I really need to stop drinking beer). The weather has been extremely unpleasant, but I found a neighborhood near my own with loads of old trees that provide shade for almost all of my runs, so that has been extremely beneficial. And the first mile is always the most unpleasant while my old bones are waking up.

crispyben

Trained for 2 1/2 months of just running 3 times a week and you subbed 4 hours?!

What do you mean by track sessions for your shorter runs?

I'm guessing you must've previously had a large aerobic base from other sports/activities to play with? Still, very impressive!
I was 35 and a regular runner already, and had run a 20K in 1h40 beforehand. By track sessions I mean interval training (speed work) on a track, with some hill and stair climbing sessions interspersed. I followed a plan by a well-known coach in France, Renaud Longuèvre, which I adapted to my sensations. It aimed for 3h45, with 3 or 4 training sessions per week over 10 weeks. As you can see below, I missed or changed some sessions because of real life (Venice vacation on March 10, for instance). Here's what those 10 weeks looked like:
Code:
2015-04-12 09:41:26	Marathon de Paris	42.48	3:59:07
2015-04-08 18:56:47	MAR-S10-2	12.91	1:10:00
2015-04-05 10:06:33	MAR-S9-3	15.06	1:19:29
2015-04-02 18:57:45	MAR-S9-2	15.87	1:30:00
2015-03-31 19:00:43	MAR-S9-1	15.60	1:31:06
2015-03-29 09:49:35	MAR-S8-3	30.05	2:45:01
2015-03-26 18:57:43	MAR-S8-2	14.87	1:19:00
2015-03-24 18:28:40	MAR-S8-1	10.26	1:00:19
2015-03-22 09:56:01	ECOTRAIL	18.11	1:32:23
2015-03-19 19:04:43	MAR-S7-2	11.49	1:08:01
2015-03-17 18:50:09	MAR-S7-1	10.14	52:43
2015-03-15 09:58:48	MAR-S6-3	27.30	2:30:01
2015-03-13 18:19:07	MAR-S6-2	13.93	1:15:00
2015-03-10 07:42:57	MAR-S6-1	10.39	57:16
2015-03-07 10:40:40	MAR-S5-4	24.09	2:15:01
2015-03-05 18:53:21	MAR-S5-3	16.61	1:30:00
2015-03-03 19:07:40	MAR-S5-1	13.50	1:22:40
2015-03-01 14:12:11	MAR-S4-3	10.81	1:00:00
2015-02-25 18:59:21	MAR-S4-1	12.19	1:10:00
2015-02-22 13:12:30	MAR-S3-3	20.36	1:50:06
2015-02-19 18:57:44	MAR-S3-2	13.04	1:10:00
2015-02-17 19:16:34	MAR-S3-1	12.51	1:10:00
2015-02-15 12:46:25	MAR-S2-3	18.32	1:39:47
2015-02-11 19:07:05	MAR-S2-2	12.45	1:10:00
2015-02-09 19:04:03	MAR-S2-1	11.61	1:05:00
2015-02-08 09:33:35	MAR-S1-3	13.53	1:29:31
2015-02-04 18:56:40	MAR-S1-2	11.06	1:00:02
2015-02-02 19:33:15	MAR-S1-1	10.76	1:00:05

ASICS has ruined their Gel Cumulus line for me. I got a set of 18's and they have dramatically tightened to toe box. I tried then ordering half a size up and my big toe still touches the top of the toe box. Utterly maddening and a good example of why it's hard to find consistency in running shoes. I grabbed a pair of Nike Pegasis 33's and it actually feels about right.

oneils

What I do is I imagine myself running along my usual route, using the treadmill distance to know where I'd be. It's still kind of boring but it makes it a little more bearable. Completely agreed on running outside: I love seeing different streets and buildings while running, variation is the spice of life!

Can't go wrong with C25K: http://www.c25k.com/c25k_metric.html

Thanks man, I couldn't find that. Everything linked to a paid app. I also found something from asics that's seems good.

DrMungo

I'm thinking of entering my first marathon.
Its out in October 8, so about 3.5 months away.
About two weeks ago, I went on runs of 11 and 12.5 miles. They went rough, because it was hot and since then I bought a hydration belt.
Aiming for 20-25 miles per week
Before the long runs, I was of reasonable fitness - did a 5k in 26 min.

Am I aiming too high to run a marathon? Do I have enough time?

crispyben

About two weeks ago, I went on runs of 11 and 12.5 miles. They went rough, because it was hot and since then I bought a hydration belt.

See my post above about my training for a marathon, it can be done in 10 weeks. I would say 3 and a half months is enough, but there are so many factors... How long did those long runs take you? Weekly mileage is only one way to look at things, and it's supposed to ramp up and then taper...

DrMungo

See my post above about my training for a marathon, it can be done in 10 weeks. I would say 3 and a half months is enough, but there are so many factors... How long did those long runs take you? Weekly mileage is only one way to look at things, and it's supposed to ramp up and then taper...

about 2 hours for 11 miles (purposefully slow) and about 2:20 for 12.5 (worst 2 miles at the end ) They were about 11:30 pace most of the time.

crispyben

about 2 hours for 11 miles (purposefully slow) and about 2:20 for 12.5 (worst 2 miles at the end ) They were about 11:30 pace most of the time.
Based on that 20K/12.5mi, I believe you're looking at a 5-hour marathon (at least), which seems harder to me than a 4-hour time somehow. Armed with this information, do you still feel like running the 26.2? If yes, you should look into reasonable training plans that mesh with your objective, your fitness level, your motivation, your free time, etc. I'm sure others in the thread will provide links to English language resources, but the most important thing is to listen to what your body says... until your brain takes over after 20 miles on race day :)

I strongly advise against it unless you want to be on your feet for at least 5h with a very high chance of walk of death. You probably won't enjoy your race.

It's also a very bad use of your time for fitness gain. You'll run a better marathon in a year or two if you take the time to build up properly. 20-25 miles a week marathon training will make you a very slow runner. You probably won't enjoy much of the training too; no time to run anything but slow long runs. No speedwork, minimal marathon pace stuff.

Get used to higher weekly mileage. Not just a longer long run, more base mileage.
3.5 months if an ok length for a marathon cycle if you can already handle the required mileage. 20-25 would actually be the weekly long run in a lot of cookie cutter training plans.

I wouldn't recommend starting a marathon cycle unless you can run 21k under 2h comfortably (not racing). That's a ballpark estimate.
Respect the distance.

Why do you want to run a marathon?

DrMungo

I strongly advise against it unless you want to be on your feet for at least 5h with a very high chance of walk of death. You probably won't enjoy your race.

It's also a very bad use of your time for fitness gain. You'll run a better marathon in a year or two if you take the time to build up properly. 20-25 miles a week marathon training will make you a very slow runner. You probably won't enjoy much of the training too; no time to run anything but slow long runs. No speedwork, minimal marathon pace stuff.

Get used to higher weekly mileage. Not just a longer long run, more base mileage.
3.5 months if an ok length for a marathon cycle if you can already handle the required mileage. 20-25 would actually be the weekly long run in a lot of cookie cutter training plans.

I wouldn't recommend starting a marathon cycle unless you can run 21k under 2h comfortably (not racing). That's a ballpark estimate.
Respect the distance.

Why do you want to run a marathon?

I probably should word it better. I've been at 20-25 miles last 2 weeks and will slow increase the weekly total to 30-40 miles. I've been reading Hal Higdon online, but trying to pick other's brains about it as well. I haven't signed up for paid for anything yet. I was going to continue training for another 4 weeks and decide by then. (The M is in October 8th. I'm just aiming to finish - ideally less than 5 hours. )

I woke up earlier than usual this morning so I had my cup of coffee before going for a run - it was amazing! I was a bit faster than usual and I didn't struggle nearly as much. I'm almost up to 30 minutes of non-stop running at about an 11:30 pace so I'm getting there. I'd like to get comfortable with running for 30 minutes and then try to up my mileage; after I can run 5k in about 30 minutes I'll start working towards running a 10k.

I'm adopting a puppy this weekend, though, so that'll probably put a damper on my progress - at least until he learns how to run with me. :)

I probably should word it better. I've been at 20-25 miles last 2 weeks and will slow increase the weekly total to 30-40 miles. I've been reading Hal Higdon online, but trying to pick other's brains about it as well. I haven't signed up for paid for anything yet. I was going to continue training for another 4 weeks and decide by then. (The M is in October 8th. I'm just aiming to finish - ideally less than 5 hours. )

What's your running history?

Do you have experience running 40 miles a week?

Like I said, if you are comfortable running 40+miles a week now, you should be good to run a marathon after a beginner plan like Higdon's. A good guide will tell you how much you should be able to do before attempting it.

If not, just getting used to that mileage might take you 2-3 months. You cannot both get used to that mileage and run marathon specific workouts at the same time.

You have not answered why you want to run a marathon. :)
Is this a one-off thing?
Do you want to commit to running in the future and testing if longer distances are for you?

I think you will be better upping your mileage now like you planned but train for a 10 or 21k. This would be more well rounded training for you. That will give you a much better base to start a marathon plan next year.

DrMungo

Like I said, if you are comfortable running 40+miles a week now, you should be good to run a marathon after a beginner plan like Higdon's. A good guide will tell you how much you should be able to do before attempting it.

If not, just getting used to that mileage might take you 2-3 months. You cannot both get used to that mileage and run marathon specific workouts at the same time.

Is this a one-off thing?
Do you want to commit to running in the future and testing if longer distances are for you?

I think you will be better upping your mileage now like you planned but train for a 10 or 21k. This would be more well rounded training for you. That will give you a much better base to start a marathon plan next year.

The reason is mostly for the challenge of covering such a distance. I won't be running any races longer than a marathon, likely ever. I'm turning 37 this year and also feel it'll get harder as I get older. Its one of these things that I feel I should do in the next 1-2 years, and the window might be closing. (then who knows - with 2 kids, possible health issues/longer recovery times, etc, it always gets harder. )

It's planned as a one-off thing, but I might continue to do more in the future.

DrMungo

Is this a one-off thing?

The reason is mostly for the challenge of covering such a distance. I won't be running any races longer than a marathon, likely ever. I'm turning 37 this year and also feel it'll get harder as I get older. Its one of these things that I feel I should do in the next 1-2 years, and the window might be closing. (then who knows - with 2 kids, possible health issues/longer recovery times, etc, it always gets harder. )

As for history, I ran in high school - more mid-distance like 800m to 3200m mostly. Practice runs at most were 10 miles.
Got back into reasonable shape since the new year and did a 26 minute 5K with little preparation - which I realize is a whole other universe.

If I back out there's also a half marathon on that day too =)

It's planned as a one-off thing, but I might continue to do more in the future.

New around here, I haven't ran since high school PE and always hated it for some reason since I remember my knees and shins hurting from it.

Recently I've tried to cut back on spending in order to get rid of a debt, so I had to quit my jiu jitsu training to save money. I started using the free gym at work and thought running would be a great way to supplement my weight training.

I don't have lofty goals of running a marathon I just want to lose weight, improve my cardio/health, and I'm very interested in the meditative aspect of running. Now, how or where can I learn proper form while running?

How important are shoes as well? I've got some hefty pair of shoes I use at the gym but I'm not sure if those will help or hinder me when I attempt my first run.

Has felt good getting back out on the road this past week.

Running with two coworkers every Sunday on my long run day, who are slower than me, so I can stick in the recommended time instead of treating every run like a race.

Just started c25k and it's my first time running. Wondering if anyone had any tips

Good luck to the beginners popping into the thread, have fun and stick with it!

Best tip is to invest your time / money into running shoes that fit your feet and strides. Imagine punching the soles of your feet thousands of times in a row - that's what the pavement is doing to you and without cushioning, it's going to hurt! Preferably go to a running store where the staff can see you run on a short lane or treadmill. Bad and/or cheap shoes are going to mess up your shins, hips and knees and create poor habits you'll have to unlearn later on. Don't be self-conscious about it, they usually find helping out beginners the most rewarding part of the job.

Also, read the OT post if you haven't already.

FooTemps

Found running GAF! Sweeeeet

So gear related question for all you minimalist shoe folks:
How many miles before you retire your minimalist running shoes? I alternate between NB Minimus MX20v3 and Merrell Vapor Glove 2 if that gives you an idea of the quality of shoe.

One more gear question:
Has anyone paired a pair of Bragi Dash to Strava on android? I can't get them to stream HR to Strava.

Well I went out this morning for my first run. 30 minutes, ran some, walked some. I'm not even sure if my feet are hitting the ground correctly because now my feet, ankle, and shins are definitely hurting.

But I'm gonna try it again Thursday.

FooTemps

Well I went out this morning for my first run. 30 minutes, ran some, walked some. I'm not even sure if my feet are hitting the ground correctly because now my feet, ankle, and shins are definitely hurting.

But I'm gonna try it again Thursday.

Good job! Keep it up! Even with improving your form, your joints will have to strengthen and get used to the impact.

I did it! This morning was the last day in my c25k program and I ran for 30 minutes without stopping or walking, even though I have about 20 mosquito bites around my ankles that were itching like crazy the entire time.

Now to increase the mileage I can run in 30 minutes so I'm actually running 3 miles and not 2.7 :)

crispyben

I did it! This morning was the last day in my c25k program and I ran for 30 minutes without stopping or walking, even though I have about 20 mosquito bites around my ankles that were itching like crazy the entire time.

Now to increase the mileage I can run in 30 minutes so I'm actually running 3 miles and not 2.7 :)
Congrats, keep it up, don't stop now :)

Oppo

Wouldn't mind some advice RunGAF. Does everyone who starts running aim for a race or a marathon, eventually...?

I've been going at it since January (started in the ice and snow, I figure if I could stick with that, summer would be cake... and it is) and now am running 8k, 3x a week. Fastest 5k time is 25:04.

I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing but I've been eyeing training plans to get up to maybe an even 10k per run. But I don't really care about getting to marathon length. I just want the fitness aspect.

Basically I am asking if I'm spending too much effort to "tread water" as I know training in an inefficient way can be counter productive. I didn't really do it the right way to begin with, iI just sort of blasted my way up to 8k (and did injure my foot a bit in the process, but let it heal for 2 weeks and all is good now). I can run the whole 8k straight and my legs are no longer sore after.

So is there any reason to push, or should I just maintain what I'm doing?

p.s. loving the Fenix 5, the data it provides me is delicious.
p.p.s. the Fitbit people are real dicks about getting your data out, they broke the Garmin import tool. combined with their stance on HealthKit... idk what their problem is

Wouldn't mind some advice RunGAF. Does everyone who starts running aim for a race or a marathon, eventually...?

I'm doing it for fitness and don't really have any desire to complete a race. I have about 5 lbs left until my goal weight, and my body/metabolism responds really well to running. Combined with counting calories, I've lost 8 lbs in the past 2 months alone. It's the only form of cardio I really enjoy.

I'm actually worried that if I start training for a race, I'll be more likely to injure myself and I don't want to stall my fitness progress.

That said, I do want to increase my weekly mileage but that's because I don't know if I can reach my fitness goals running only 7-9 miles a week.

Everyone runs for different reasons - I'm one of those that does it mainly for fitness and have no real interest in competing. :)

Top Bottom