• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
ZTDG85a.gif

oh hey the new toonami showdown episode came out

yes! i had to do some stuff before i could post anything but...............

https://soundcloud.com/toonamishowdown/showdown009

"This week, we wonder if Attack on Titan waited too long, listen to youth pastor Nick, ponder the merits of the Gilmore Girls revival, get really annoyed at Gundam Unicorn's idealism, compare Tokyo Ghoul to the manga, wonder if everyone in DBZ is just magic, and watch another episode of Gon Stars."

So, I guess the main things here are that I read the first volume of Tokyo Ghoul and while it's not like wonderful and life-changing or anything, it's kind of incredible how many of the problems are the result of a bad adaptation. Nothing in the source material is given any room to breathe, which I believe is the reason we're left with the off-putting edgefest that the anime is.

We also go in on Gundam Unicorn for pushing bullshit naive idealism and space magic like they're actual solutions to an otherwise fairly grounded political problem in ways that I have like no faith are going to be eventually shot down. If that happens then cool but at the moment this show is politically and ideologically a fucking nonsense trash fire from the lips of the characters we're supposed to believe are the rational ones because they're the main characters.

caliph95

Code:
[IMG]https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGEFisHTvr8ub5K/giphy.gif[/IMG][IMG]https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGv10HmtEtsNKWA/giphy.gif[/IMG]

cntr

Banned
showdown stuff:

The way the last episode worked in the manga: Kaneki is warned about the creepy guy, meets him and refuses to talk to him, gets forced to go along at gunpoint, refuses to eat the food because it's obviously spiked, and gets knocked unconscious with sleeping gas.

That whole thing about him stupidly trusting the guy and drinking the spiked coffee didn't happen.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The more I hear about the differences from the manga, the more I question how much better the anime would've been if they didn't make all these weird changes.

Wouldn't have made Tokyo Ghoul great by any means, but probably on par with something like Blue Exorcist, something right in the middle.

caliph95

From what i heard the anime went to shit when it diverged drom the manga and was horrible when it added it's own orginal stuff.

Funny you mention Blue Exorcist because from what i heard it has the same problems in that it became less interesting due to them diverging from the manga. Only seen the anime

cntr

Banned
Whether you'd like a faithful Tokyo Ghoul depends on your tastes and whether you like that kind of stuff, but you'd be into it if you were, and if you weren't, you wouldn't hate it like people hate the anime now.

...also yeah Blue Exorcist isn't super great, but I know the manga's a lot better than the anime.

caliph95

Yeah the anime at least the first season is decent just there but the manga stuff sounds a lot better than what they did including no good guy satan

cntr

Banned
There aren't that many anime adaptations that're better than their manga originals, tbh. There's either equivalent, slightly worse, or a lot worse, or a lot worse.

Gintama and YYH are the only examples that come to mind, and the latter's mostly because of the dub.

cntr

Banned
The first Fullmetal Alchemist anime had an entirely different plot, and was also just "good" as opposed to "nearly perfect" like the manga/Brotherhood.

The first Fullmetal Alchemist anime had an entirely different plot, and was also just "good" as opposed to "nearly perfect" like the manga/Brotherhood.

The only real problem I had with Brotherhood was how fast the beginning went as the build up and the original anime for some scenes like
Hughes's death
was a lot better. I say this as someone who watched the first anime first. The manga is the best of both worlds though far as execution goes.

I love both anime and definitely agree Brotherhood is better overall.

cntr

Banned
I haven't watched Brotherhood, only the manga, but they rushed over what the first anime covered before it diverged from the manga, right?

The Fullmetal Alchemist manga is still one of the best plotted stories I've ever read. I got the feeling when reading it that the author knew what they were doing, a feeling I don't get from even things like One Piece or Hunter x Hunter.
I get the feeling from My Hero Academia, though.

I haven't watched Brotherhood, only the manga, but they rushed over what the first anime covered before it diverged from the manga, right?

The Fullmetal Alchemist manga is still one of the best plotted stories I've ever read. I got the feeling when reading it that the author knew what they were doing, a feeling I don't get from even things like One Piece.

Yeah and I get why they did that since budget and they wanted to get to the new stuff that was different from the first anime, but it definitely makes that scene I stated specifically a lot weaker to me because of how rushed it feels compared to the first anime.

Yeah, I definitely agree with what you say about FMA's manga.

The Fullmetal Alchemist manga is still one of the best plotted stories I've ever read. I got the feeling when reading it that the author knew what they were doing, a feeling I don't get from even things like One Piece or Hunter x Hunter.
Well most of HxH is Togashi throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks. It works surprisingly well for the most part though.

Xe4

Banned

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I preferred the original FMA over FMA:B. I think I liked the tone of the original over the more "shonen-y" remake. I don't think either had very good endings though.

Moaradin

I definitely like the tone more in the original FMA. The soundtrack is also a lot better. And not all the anime original stuff was bad. It did go in some interesting directions.

Overall I slightly prefer Brotherhood, but both are worth a watch.

cntr

Banned
I thought the first anime was...too anime, and I really liked the manga ending.

so idk. the first anime definitely wasn't bad, I just thought the manga was phenomenal.

Well most of HxH is Togashi throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks. It works surprisingly well for the most part though.
Most authors from the 80s and early 90s seem to use the seat of their pants a lot, it's weird.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Things that work better in the original FMA anime.

The tone.
The brother's relationship.
The color choices.
The soundtrack.
The homonculi.
The ending.

Things that work better in the Manga/Brotherhood.

The middle of the story.

Moaradin

Most authors from the 80s and early 90s seem to use the seat of their pants a lot, it's weird.

Togashi can pull it off because he's such a great writer. It works to HxH's benefit since it gives each arc such a unique feeling.

Most manga authors can't pull it off though.

I guess people don't like the FMA manga much here, huh.

Haven't read it. Definitely want to one of these days.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Didn't Togashi say in an interview the only thing he was really unsure how it would turn out in the end was the
dodgeball match?

cntr

Banned
I know it's not a popular opinion, but I preferred the original FMA over FMA:B. I think I liked the tone of the original over the more "shonen-y" remake. I don't think either had very good endings though.
For what it's worth, the manga never felt shounen to me. I remember everybody assuming the manga was a seinen back before Brotherhood came out.

Kind of disappointing to hear that about Brotherhood, they really screwed up the tone if that's the case.
Further evidence for my belief that anime is shit and manga's the real deal.

Togashi can pull it off because he's such a great writer. It works to HxH's benefit since it gives each arc such a unique feeling.

Didn't Togashi say in an interview the only thing he was really unsure how it would turn out in the end was the
dodgeball match?
Also yeah to be fair, Togashi might have tons of crazy ideas, but he plans way ahead.

Araki's a better example, he does almost no planning and forgets half the things he's written. That's why Jojo is full of bullshit explanations like Hunter x Hunter, but unlike Hunter x Hunter, they make no sense.

Moaradin

Not sure if it was like this in the manga, but Brotherhood had a lot of weird anime comedy that ended up being a pretty weird tonal shift. Nothing takes me out of this serious story more than random chibi shit out of nowhere.

I don't remember any weird comedy in the original series. The original definitely had more atmosphere, and felt less "anime" than the remake does.

Not sure if it was like this in the manga, but Brotherhood had a lot of weird anime comedy that ended up being a pretty weird tonal shift. Nothing takes me out of this serious story more than random chibi shit out of nowhere.

I don't remember any weird comedy in the original series.

It's definitely in the manga and it's on purpose. Brotherhood cuts out a lot of it.

cntr

Banned

I don't remember any weird comedy in the original series. The original definitely had more atmosphere, and felt less "anime" than the remake does.
Oh yeah, those.

Yeah, that's not an issue in the manga. They're there, but it's not as chibi-looking and it tonally works.

Regiruler

Cool, now we know why Rick and Morty season 3 took so long! They're doing the presentation animations this year!

i wish, would be cool :p
This post put the idea in my head of Rick & Morty being the style for this year's Nintendo digital event and now I can't get it out.

cntr

Banned
This year's Nintendo E3 will be done in the style of the Attack on Titan S2 ending.

really good song, by the way

Xe4

Banned

Yeah. I haven't seen the OG in a while, but while I think they did chibi, it wasn't very much and was at the right time in the story.

Brotherhood waaaaaaaaay overdid it, and at the worst times too. Like, they'd be in an intense battle and then it would break to go to some comedy, it was ridiculous.

Still liked both shows a lot though. Just one I think was slightly better :p

For what it's worth, the manga never felt shounen to me. I remember everybody assuming the manga was a seinen back before Brotherhood came out.

Kind of disappointing to hear that about Brotherhood, they really screwed up the tone if that's the case.
Further evidence for my belief that anime is shit and manga's the real deal.
sophiscated_cat.PNG

I should probably read the manga sometime.

cntr

Banned
YYH ends flat so it's not like I trust Togashi without reservations.
From what I hear, Togashi wanted to turn YYH into what ended up becoming HxH. But the editors said no because they wanted more tournament stuff, so Togashi got annoyed and ended the manga. Then he made Hunter x Hunter.

Might be bullshit, but I can believe it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
From what I hear, Togashi wanted to turn YYH into what ended up becoming HxH. But the editors said no because they wanted more tournament stuff, so Togashi got annoyed and ended the manga. Then he made Hunter x Hunter.

Might be bullshit, but I can believe it.

The arc after the Dank Tournament certainly does have a bunch of weirdos with stand/nen like powers, so...maybe.

Brotherhood is great
The manga is a master piece
03 was good until it turned to shit at the end

I liked 03's early filler content of the brothers going on lots of little adventures chasing after more philospher's stone rumors. I also find it funny people say brotherhood is shonen yet 03 actually added more fights to scenes that didn't original have them and almost every filler episode had a fight.

The truth is the first 15-20ish chapters of fma never got a good adaptation since 03 stretches it out and bogs it with filler and changes and brotherhood super condenses it.

Also the manga had the chibi comedy stuff and I think it worked better there because of the lack of music. The music in brotherhood makes the serious scenes much more intense, but that causes the the contrast with the comedic stuff to feel worse then it actually is. The manga since it has even pcing through it's run is also able to start with a lot more comedy and slowly fade it out as the story gets darker, something which again brotherhood loses thanks to its rushed opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom