• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/23 - 6/29

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
BishopLamont said:
Wow never thought of that combo before, wonder if SE would ever make such a game.
They kind of toy with the possibility.

rk2dmu.gif

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
BishopLamont said:
Was thinking of a proper RPG.
I know, that's why they "toy" with the possibility. It's a spin-off party game but Itadaki street does show that they're not afraid of setting them together.

Epiphyte said:
Is this the twelfth pachislot game in the entire series or just the twelfth one featuring Evangelion?
Koren said:
Hard one... If I'm not mistaken, it's the twelfth one in a series that doesn't always feature Evangelion, although several of them have an evangelion theme.
That seems likely. The translations are pretty borked, but here are games from D3 Publisher with "Pachi" in the title.
milanbaros said:
I doubt Mario Kart Wii can pass the first 2 console versions in Japan but how about WW?
I don't know what SMK did off the top of my head, but MK64 wasn't far beyond 1.7 million. Considering MKW is already at 1.5 million and seems to have legs like its DS brother, I think it will get well beyond MK64.
charlequin said:
The MGS fanbase in Japan is devoted: they love the series, they'll invest in the console needed to play it, and they'll play it the day it comes out.
NOTE: Entries co-developed in Canada by GAF haters are exempt.
1730+-+Metal+Gear+Solid%3A+The+Twin+Snakes+-+GCN

Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...
PS3 comparisons: After 85 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 19.3 weeks (July 10, 2000), where PSP was at 51.8 weeks (December 2, 2005), where GCN was at 87.9 weeks (May 17, 2003), and where Wii was at 21.5 weeks (April 25, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 82 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 84.6 weeks (October 31, 2002), where DS was at 67.4 weeks (March 14, 2006), where PS2 was at 95.6 weeks (December 27, 2001), and where PSP was at 146.5 weeks (September 26, 2007).

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 45.4 / 54.6, the strongest DS week since March. This brings total shares to 70.1 / 29.9. At this week's rates PSP catches up to DS in 1307.9 weeks (July 24, 2033). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 221.7 weeks (September 28, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 27.0 / 73.0, bringing total shares to 25.8 / 74.2. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 229.4 weeks (November 21, 2012).

Famitsu software pie stuff: Though last week's pie had PS3 in first place for the first time, this week it drops backs down to fifth.

DS: 31.3
Wii: 22.3
PSP: 21.6
PS2: 12.3
PS3: 11.3
X360: 1.0
Other: 0.3

perfectchaos007 said:
Wow the PSP is doing much better software wise than the MC 50 would indicate.
Remember Famitsu is a week behind, so that's for a week where PSP had the #1, 7, and 8 games for the week.

donny2112

Famitsu Jun 16-22

1. PSP Super Robot Taisen A Portable 93757 / NEW
2. PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot 67442 / 543776
3. WII Super Mario Stadium: Family Baseball 58612 / NEW
4. PS2 Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 4 58148 / NEW
5. WII Wii Fit 28025 / 2230533
6. WII Mario Kart Wii 24098 / 1503080
7. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 G 18883 / 2282995
8. PSP Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3 17501 / 186862
9. NDS Beautiful Letter Training DS 13177 / 291121
10. WII Wii Sports 11310 / 2998097
11. NDS DS Yamamura Misa Suspense: Kyoto Murder Files 11037 / 61222
12. NDS Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series DS Vol. 2: CR Shinseiki Evangelion - Shito, Futatabi 10307 / 33020
13. NDS Taiko Drum Master 2 8936 / 209339
14. NDS Pro Yakyuu Team o Tsukurou! 8763 / 91536
15. NDS Mario Kart DS 8179 / 3103810
16. WII Wii Play 8120 / 2393227
17. WII Family Trainer 7518 / 71199
18. PS3 Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit 7245 / 104942
19. PSP Valhalla Knights 2 6093 / 64838
20. WII Fushigi no Dungeon - Furai no Shiren 3: Karakuri Yashiki no Nemuri Hime 5843 / 78030
21. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 5317 / 5203488
22. NDS Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage 5310 / 571427
23. NDS Mugen no Frontier: Super Robot Taisen OG Saga 5254 / 109566
24. NDS Bokura wa Kaseki Holder (We are Fossil Diggers) 4958 / 149014
25. NDS More TOEIC Test Training DS 4622 / 9541
26. NDS Puyo Puyo! (BEST) 4390 / NEW
27. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 4176 / 4675540
28. NDS Taiko Drum Master 3775 / 413874
29. WII Link's Crossbow Training with Wii Zapper 3736 / 191789
30. NDS Kuukan * Zukei: Hirameki Training - KuTore (Shapes and Spatial Sense: Flash Training) 3633 / 35765

*. NDS Spectral Force Genesis 3600 / NEW
*. PSP Puyo Puyo! (BEST) 1800 / NEW
*. PS2 Sorayume 1600 / NEW
*. WII Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 4 1500 / NEW
*. WII Puyo Puyo! (BEST) 1100 / NEW
*. PS2 Puyo Puyo! (BEST) 930 / NEW
*. 360 FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage 710 / NEW
*. NDS Ohimesama Debut 540 / NEW

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

May 19-25, 2008
May 26-Jun 1, 2008
Jun 2-8, 2008
Jun 9-15, 2008

The week of June 23-29 is massive compared to this week. Ranks 19-30 of June 16-22 wouldn't even appear on the Top 30 the week of June 23-29. :eek:

donny2112 said:
The week of June 23-29 is massive compared to this week. Ranks 19-30 of June 16-22 wouldn't even appear on the Top 30 the week of June 23-29. :eek:

Yes, very slow week, Puyo Puyo the Best is the second worst debut for DS games on Famitsu charts...

Moor-Angol said:
Yes, very slow week, Puyo Puyo the Best is the second worst debut for DS games on Famitsu charts...
Not that this is an important thing to be off on, but asking the trajectory matcher for low DS starts, I find a few more lower.

Kawaii Koinu DS, 30th place, 4136
Kanji no Wataridori, 28th place, 3800
Gouma Reifuden Izuna, 27th place, 3755

and in the category of budget-rererelease-lucky-to-make-the-list-at-all,

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Justice For All (NEW Best Price! 2000), 30th place, 3720

donny2112

iidesuyo said:
What's the difference between between "Ultimate Hits" and "Eternal Hits"? Re-re-releases?

It's just what the manufacturer chooses to call it. Sometimes there is a BEST release, and then an ULTIMATE/ETERNAL/LEGENDARY later on. Sometimes they jump straight to ULTIMATE/ETERNAL/LEGENDARY, though.

You may have noticed the recent trajectory matcher at Garaph had /labs/ in the URL. Just something I ripped off of Google that I thought would be more fun than /test/. I figure that's where the new stuff goes that's still being heavily tinkered with; eventually it can get promoted to the main directory and be better integrated with the rest. Anyway, I just put a new thing there.

The hardware sales bar chart was one of the earlier things I made a few years back, though as it doesn't do much interesting it's mostly and rightfully ignored. The only real fun thing is that as it always uses a constant scale, it can really allow a big week to stand out, without those pansy cutaway sections Famitsu uses to keep the image small.

I thought it might be interesting (and dead easy) to instead of display the hardware data, use the Famitsu Top 30. And it was. Here it is for the most recent week. For the hardware charts I set a color system for each hardware, so I have the software use the color of the hardware they're for. Though set up this way, it's a bit hard to tell DS's "mid gray" from PS3's "slightly darker gray". The first number under each bar is the rank, the second number the Game ID used throughout Garaph for that game.

Of course, for any practical purpose things will need to change. A system designed for displaying less than 10 hardwares which rarely reach beyond a couple hundred thousand sold results in very large images if there are 30 games listed and one of them sells a million. But in the short term it's pretty funny. Here's MGS4's launch week, with it absolutely towering over everything else. I wanted to give you a REAL towerer in Dragon Quest VIII's first week, but it's large enough that it actually refuses/fails to display an image at all.

Possibly someone else would've mentioned this weeks ago, but with N64 games not being in Garaph I didn't notice the moment this happened. Anyway, Japan-Game Charts lists SSB's final known total as 1,632,055. SSBB passed that the week of May 5, meaning it's the top-selling Smash in Japan now, and the first of N64's big three to be surpassed by a console successor. Mario Kart 64 should similarly fall to Mario Kart Wii sometime this year, but Super Mario 64 is probably safe from Galaxy.

A random request I know, but still: How has Samurai Warriors Katana fared thus far numbers wise on the Wii in Japan? Any budget re-releases and such? I'm hoping when NPD rolls around somebody can figure out the US sales as well as the European.

Though I wonder how well any such numbers will jive with whatever the dev costs were for the "experiment" and how it'd be comparable, if even, to other Koei spinoffs...

ElectricThunder said:
A random request I know, but still: How has Samurai Warriors Katana fared thus far numbers wise on the Wii in Japan? Any budget re-releases and such? I'm hoping when NPD rolls around somebody can figure out the US sales as well as the European.

Though I wonder how well any such numbers will jive with whatever the dev costs were for the "experiment" and how it'd be comparable, if even, to other Koei spinoffs...
Doesn't seem one that would be asking for a budget release. It charted its first week, then disappeared from sight until the 2007 Top 500.
79+-+Samurai+Warriors+Katana+-+Wii

Hmm...If I read ya right JJS it is living it up in the ~79K+ club in Japan alone. Interesting. I'd like to think then that it has at least broken the 100K barrier with the addition of US+Euro+Misc sales when all is said and done. I hope somebody in the NPD thread can at least figure the US numbers...but I wouldn't know whom to beseech for Euro numbers. I WANT to think they had good expectations for it in France at least....else why would the entire 2nd half of the game manual be in French translating the 1st half in English?

Man do I hope it was profitable and get a sequel...potentially 6 figure sales have GOT to be at least on the level for an on rails game...right? They can't have expected DW/SW numbers I'd reckon going into it...

JoshuaJSlone said:
Doesn't seem one that would be asking for a budget release. It charted its first week, then disappeared from sight until the 2007 Top 500.
79+-+Samurai+Warriors+Katana+-+Wii

The only reason about that sales is a huge price drop after a couple of weeks from release, but the game is not very good, so i wonder why people bought Samurai Warriors Katana instead of No More Heroes...

ElectricThunder said:
Hmm...If I read ya right JJS it is living it up in the ~79K+ club in Japan alone.
Not quite. 35K is the last LTD we saw of it; 79 is just the unique Game ID the database uses. I try to include that where possible as both a differentiator between similar (or not shown due to lack of space) titles, and so it's not hard to find when needed to create a graph of multiple softwares.
Moor-Angol said:
The only reason about that sales is a huge price drop after a couple of weeks from release, but the game is not very good, so i wonder why people bought Samurai Warriors Katana instead of No More Heroes...
I was kind of guessing that a price collapse helped it triple those first week sales. As to why people bought it slightly more than NMH: I guess brand recognition will get you a little ways.

So I played around with that top 30 software bar graph, and I think it's pretty presentable now. The actual software number and Game ID are gone, but it's meant as a companion rather than a replacement to looking at the actual list so I think just the rank to help a person match them up is fine.

Whereas the hardware version was set to give a pixel of height per 500 sales, with software hitting higher peaks they only get a pixel for every 2,000 sales. So a slow week looks pretty small,
2008-06-16

but the real appeal is seeing just how much the big games tower over the little ones, which comes across fine without being huge.
t

2+ million launches like Dragon Quest VIII's still end up tall enough that I'll link it rather than displaying it, but at least it actually will display something now.

jesusraz

Anyone kind enough to do a translation of 31-50, plus do the normal hardware format (with YTD and LTD included), please?

Great start for Game with No Name - seriously thought it would tank, but ~17,000 on its first day is pretty decent. With any luck it'll reach about 25,000 and may even manage to scrape into the Top 10.

Top10 rankings, no numbers yet.

1. Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (NDS)
2. Initial D Extreme Stage (PS3)
3. Derby Stallion DS (NDS)
4. Nanashi no Game (NDS)
5. Wii Fit (Wii)
6. Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of the New World (Wii)
7. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots (PS3)
9. Super Mario Stadium Baseball (Wii)
10. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mario Kart showing some major legs.

ToS dropped like a rock. Might end up around 250K or so? Still solid, but I thought it could do more.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hmmm...i hope ToS2 will at least crack 300K ltd anything else would be a flop ...
wow@mk wii and mh2G legs :)

schuelma said:
ToS must have taken a dive :(
First one dropped to 50K week two, this one looks to have dropped to 30K, based on Wii Fit's recent performance.

hirokazu said:
When did Band Brothers become such a big title? I thought the original didn't do so well?
It had decent legs, but wasn't considered an early star of DS sitting next to SM64 and WarioWare. It seems like the post-2005 DS audience is more receptive to rhythm games, though? Ouendan had a big jump, too.
O2

schuelma

cw_sasuke said:
Hmmm...i hope ToS2 will at least crack 300K ltd anything else would be a flop ...

A flop? I really disagree with that. It might technically be a follow up, but its still clearly not a mothership game and its sold out its initial shipment with little trouble. On track to be the highest grossing current gen console RPG..can't call it a flop.

cw_sasuke

schuelma said:
A flop? I really disagree with that. It might technically be a follow up, but its still clearly not a mothership game and its sold out its initial shipment with little trouble. On track to be the highest grossing current gen console RPG..can't call it a flop.

i know why it didn`t sell that much (no mothership title,low famitsu score etc. ) but still i expected more since its the first "true" not-opoona like j-rpg for wii....u would think that it would at least sell as much as tos1 on cube did...

Rocksteady33

Spiegel said:

And it's the first big RPG for the Wii. I was expecting a bit more (but not much more)

The Tales franchise has gone through so much bullshit over the last couple of years though so it's really not all that surprising.

schuelma

Rocksteady33 said:
The Tales franchise has gone through so much bullshit over the last couple of years though so it's really not all that surprising.

Excellent point. It's most likely going to outsell ToI..now that's a bomb.

schuelma

Captain Smoker said:
Wii: 65.000
PSP: 55.000
NDS: 48.000
PS3: 13.500
PS2: 6.500
X360: 4.500

Wii went up from last week? Odd

Wonder if MC will be more in line this week..

cw_sasuke

Captain Smoker said:
Wii: 65.000
PSP: 55.000
NDS: 48.000
PS3: 13.500
PS2: 6.500
X360: 4.500

nice wii sales... i guess 2009 will be THE wii year....

Top Bottom