• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2010)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
HarryHengst said:
It's really, really good yes. Do not expect Dostoyevsky, it's not thát good, but this really is pretty much the best the genre has to offer. Almost done with the second book and it's one big WOAH after the other. ALso, he's not afraid to kill main characters, which is awesome as you never know whether or not a character will survive a situation.

I'm still half way through A Game of Thrones and now you've scared me. :lol

I finished Kafka on the Shore yesterday. Very good, but not as good as The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle or Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. Mr. Nakata is probably my favorite Murakami character so far, though. I'm not sure which of his books to read next.

I just started on The Crossing. I'm liking it more than All the Pretty Horses already, which is good since I loved the latter.

I also just received a collection that has all of the short stories of Franz Kafka. I've always liked what I've read of his, but I never got around to reading everything else he's done. I'm looking forward to it.

I am seriously tempted to order that Living Dead short story collection...

Dresden

aidan said:
I've always felt that the first six novels are pretty good. It's after that that the series really falls off a cliff (Naked Empire in particular). That said, I haven't read them since I was a teenager, so my opinion might be different if I read them now.
I read the first book in high school, and even then I was struck by the stupidity of a villain banning fire.

Started:

0312243359.jpg

Gripping stuff.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I stole my GF's Kindle to read THIS:

41Vy%2BR9Up0L._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-16,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Publishers Weekly said:
In this invigorating collection, American microbiologist Margulis and popular Spanish science TV-show host Punset do an excellent job making high science palatable, understandable and even exciting to lay-readers. The book is divided into four parts, and many of the interviews in Parts I and II concern the basic structure of the human brain and how different researchers study its evolution and development. The candid interviews unveil the origins of the curiosity that drives scientists to study particular questions-William Day's dissatisfaction with the standard models for the origin of life, why Steven Strogatz is intrigued by simultaneity and cyclicity. Part III delves into evolution and human history, but readers may find Part IV the most interesting, as it touches on such varied topics as time travel, other dimensions and "atomic consciousness." Chapters are short, move briskly and make ideal bedtime (or even beach) reading. Readers with even a casual interest in science will want to take a look.

Only a couple of chapters in so far, but really fascinating insight from some really great minds on the really big issues. Check it out!

Salazar

Dresden said:
I read the first book in high school, and even then I was struck by the stupidity of a villain banning fire.

It pales alongside the malevolent genius of making apples poisonous.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
chuckddd said:
Why not go straight to Use of Weapons. If you hate on that book, I will then give up on you and your reading comprehension. I will also troll ERod. Well, I'll troll him some more!

This, this, this. I love all the Culture books, but Use of Weapons is at the top of the heap. The books aren't chronological, so why not start with one of the best of them?

Fireblend

Banned
Mully said:
Just ordered World War Z off of Amazon. Was wondering if I should buy Zombie Survival Guide too.
World War Z is infinitely superior. I'd wait to read it first before deciding on the Zombie Survival Guide, and don't expect anything as good (although if you're a fan of zombie stuff and/or enjoyed WWZ greatly, you'll be wanting to have it).

dangrib

Any good Western-themed books of quality out there?
Love the genre (Deadwood, RDR) but never thought of the possibility
of a good book til now.

Reading through the new short story in Side Jobs. It provides an interesting perspective on Dresden, but it's little more than a pleasant diversion from my half-completed passage through Never Let Me Go at this stage. And that would also be a pleasant diversion - from exam revision. Good times.

Dresden said:

:bow

Karakand said:
see you on the other side bro

:lol

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Finished The Night Country by Stewart O'Nan. Yes, it's bleak as all hell but if you want some good Halloween atmosphere this weekend you should pick it up. If you grew up in a small town or suburb, you will really appreciate it.

60416.jpg

Surprisingly good so far. I wasn't expecting much in a first novel from an internet personality but I've enjoyed the first half.

Nymerio

Finished A Shadow in Summer a few days ago. Took a good while to grow on me, the thing with the poses still seems really weird. Started this yesterday:

51ID4J3Ly-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I loved the first three books, hope the next books are just as good. I currently have The Books of the South, The Many Deaths of the Black Company and The Return of the Black Company at home, how are the books that don't deal with the Black Company?

Didn't have much time to read lately so I started with something not too heavy. I am a big Castle fan - so I bought myself "Heat Wave" by Richard Castle. So far it is really enjoyable and quite close to the TV show.

Jintor

513d0EtUb0L._bL160_.jpg

Got interested in what inspired Max Brooks to write WWZ. I teared up quite a bit at this book - the sheer scale of WWII is fucking unimaginable to me, and the stuff with the Nagasaki/Hiroshima survivors... The cultural differences threw me for quite a loop, too, especially with the casual racism of the day. Highly recommended.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Jintor said:
513d0EtUb0L._bL160_.jpg

Got interested in what inspired Max Brooks to write WWZ. I teared up quite a bit at this book - the sheer scale of WWII is fucking unimaginable to me, and the stuff with the Nagasaki/Hiroshima survivors... The cultural differences threw me for quite a loop, too, especially with the casual racism of the day. Highly recommended.
Did you send this post on the internet's version of the pony express?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
reading a book called 'the historian'

41bnNZhRN2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

it has vampires.... kind of it's really slow moving and about historians tracking down vampires, specifically dracula. but there isn't really any vampires yet.

Not sure if I like. Joe abercrombie has a new book. going to read that next.

threenote

Banned
catfish said:
reading a book called 'the historian'

41bnNZhRN2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

it has vampires.... kind of it's really slow moving and about historians tracking down vampires, specifically dracula. but there isn't really any vampires yet.

Not sure if I like. Joe abercrombie has a new book. going to read that next.
LOL

Top Bottom