• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading (May 2011)

adamsappel said:
51XyhPsRgvL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg
Finished this. No happy ending.

Next: Dexter is Delicious.
51i16Hk4s9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Goody

Just finished Postcards. It was amazing. There's a timeless sadness to Proulx's characters here that sincerely struck me. I, for whatever reason, am usually uninterested in grand scopes, but Proulx made the passage of around half a decade feel so unobtrusive.

I read a few stories out of Brad Watson's Last Days of the Dog Men. I'm looking forward to see what else he has in store. Good stuff.

That and I started Yonder Stands Your Orphan by Barry Hannah. It's amazing so far.

That and I cataloged most of my books in GoodReads. I have too many unread books.

Arment

So I decided to set aside Wheel of Time. I'm currently on Winter's Heart but just couldn't read it anymore. Very boring stuff. Was reading 40 pages and then falling asleep from boredom. Not sure if it's because it's all I've read for half a year or if the series just moves way too slowly for my tastes. I'm going to finish it, but a break must be had.

So I went to the library and checked out The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear

I finished the first in 4 days and I'm half way through the second currently. I forgot what it was like to read a good book. I hate to race through them but I simply can't put it down. I don't know the last time I read for 4 hours but it's been quite a while.

Verendus

Banned
CttWo.jpg

Of Mice and Men

Found this in my garage. I decided to read it. I can't really remember it since I read it when I was 13/14 as part of a school assignment. It's been years so it's interesting reading it again. It's not long so I'll be done with it pretty quickly.

Salazar said:
Just culled my bookcases. About 300 books dumped. The air is fucking thick with dust.

Ditching my Goodkinds.
m167X.gif

Karakand

Did George ReRe Martin die or something?

---------------

Anyways... in celebration of the looming victory of the Soviet space program I'm reading:

nKZ05.jpg

1. Thanks to the "epic" misuse of the word epic over the past X years the title is massively embarrassing and if I'm reading this in public you'd better believe I take the dust jacket off. (There's just a nice inoffensive moon on the board.) Too bad the authors felt the need to use the word in the text as well...

2. It's a necessarily shallow book. (I think they try and cover most of the "race" in ~250 pages.) A decent starting point if you know next to nothing about either program, though I think it's pretty expensive so be sure to check it out from your local library!

3. From reading reviews I guess people somehow didn't know Nazis contributed a lot to rocketry + ran NASA but fear not both of these things get covered, not as accurately as others have however.

4. The foreword by ol' Sergei is neat-o.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
51VJkqb8utL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

started reading this, it's pretty good, a nice easy read with some magic in to fill my craving. I'm satisfied enough to continue on with the series until july 12 for sure.

It's about a wizard in modern day.

Corto

I listened some time ago a Radiolab show on altruism "The Good Show". It resonated with me and I didn't rest until I bought last week this book:

9780393067781_300.jpg

And then some on the subject of Games Theory:

prisoners-dilemma-william-poundstone-paperback-cover-art.jpg

12355.jpg

0486296725.01._SX220_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

So on the coming weeks these are my reading companions.

Mael said:
I'm up to Book II now...
And well the understanding of the whole demons/fallen angels in the media is laughably stupid compared to what's found in the text....Even with a passing glance, I even think it's blattant enough as to warrant a thread actually.

Haha I've had a Professor that's based his entire career on that poem, you should definitely make a thread.

Fritz

Dune Messiah
mes2l.jpg

I gave in to this sci-fi/fantasy orgy here and got Messiah. I've read Dune at the age of 15, so ages ago.

It's okay. The Sci-Fi is not too cringe worthy and the writing is blunt but solid. I loved Dune but I am probably too old for this stuff now. Doesn't amaze me at all. It's like when you get older you move on from burgers to something more delicate. This is a burger.

npm0925

I'm almost finished with The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Although the latter half of this novel does drag at times, there is no part of this book that is not well written or cleverly thought out.

RickA238

Just finished this over the weekend (sorry for skipping ahead, GAF Bookclub):

A_Visit_From_the_Goon_Squad.jpg

Then I started this a couple nights ago:

RabbitRunbookcover.jpg

I'm currently taking a break from A Song of Ice and Fire; I read Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings at a breakneck pace, so I'm reading a couple different genres before diving headlong into the 1000+ page monster that is Storm of Swords. I think I might try Catcher in the Rye again; read like 50 pages into it when I was 10 and didn't care for it. maybe I'm ready for it now.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Still reading the Florida Gator book written by some young female author who did an interview for The Dinner Party Download. Book is slow...

Sonicbug

I’m reading On Stranger Tides in preparation to be all pissed off by the next Pirates movie.

51DMVuFUBGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This is in addition to the stacks of manga I’m reading, some of which I’m reviewing for The Fandom Post. (aka, my usual side-gig.)

I have a huge book backlog right now though. HUGE. I’m hoping to get some sun time in this summer to whittle the pile down.

thomaser

Sonicbug said:
I have a huge book backlog right now though. HUGE. I’m hoping to get some sun time in this summer to whittle the pile down.

Me too. Haven't been able to read much this year because of studies, and I have around 70-80 unread books. It almost freaks me out sometimes, like now: Murakami's 1Q84 is released here tomorrow, and I cannot allow myself to read it for a long time because of the backlog :( Same with The Pale King, Eco's new books, and, and...

adamsappel said:

Finished this too. It started good, then it turned into crap halfway through. I'm really disappointed, because I love Justin Cronin's previous book "The Summer Guest", even though the subject matter is completely different (about a summer cottage in Maine). He's extremely talented, but sci-fi/horror/fantasy may not be his calling. I can't believe The Passage is a first in a trilogy and it already has film rights through Fox. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Currently

Blood's a rover by James Ellroy. First I've read from him since L.A. Confidential. I like him, probably should've read the first two of the trilogy first but now I can't be bothered. Damn good!

7hMFN.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
-Kees said:
confederacy of dunces
hahah such an awesome book. i don't think i know anyone whose expectations it hasn't exceeded even though it is pretty supremely hyped

pour moi:

just finished this week:
51fwonn8%2BcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

middle of reading:
41TKj0p7F%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
41%2B5jDXqr9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
41-Sn1NnTdL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

and almost done with:
419mago3QtL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
aww man i love it. but it's not like i'm reading the books ten minutes at a time. i'll blitz through 100 or so pages of one, get to a good break point, and then maybe switch over to another one and do the same. i used to just devour books one at a time, but i've read this way for some time now. and the kindle makes it that much easier. i would probably never do more than three though, and never two in the same general subject area

This is my first post-semester read:

disgrace-coetzee.jpg

This is my first Coetzee book, and I enjoy it so far. I'm hoping I finish it in time to complete my rereading of my current favorite book before the month's out:

extremely_loud_and_incredibly_close.large.jpg

Just finished

51aTAGmAgYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Fantastic book. The book itself is about the horrible murders of Brenda Lafferty and her 19th month old daughter in 1984 Utah at the hands of her brother in laws who believed they were doing the will of God. Jon uses this as a backdrop to display how religious extremism of any kind can become dangerous.

Jon does a great job of laying out the history of the LDS and Joseph Smith, the progression of his view on polygamy paralleling it with the progression into fundamentalism in the Lafferty brothers. He also does a masterful job explaining the Mormon polygamist communities and their histories.

HIGHLY recommend.

choodi

Banned
I now know why I am having so much trouble with abercrombie's the blade itself!

It's because it is the first act in a three act narrative.

I am bored cause nothing is happening, but nothing is happening because this is the first act!

I assume the action heats up towards the end of the first book, and then gets really going in the second?

Cyrillus

Just finished reading A Princess of Mars, and I've got to say, while it is certainly interesting to read science fiction that was written before the advent of the computer, I'm not sure why everyone praises it as a great book. The concept was interesting, for sure, but I didn't really enjoy the writing style, and I must say that the portrayal of John Carter as the perfect man and hero who easily outwits and outmatches every obstacle really dulls the almost constant suspense.

I am probably not going to continue the series, at least not for now, anyway. I'm stuck between reading War and Peace and starting Asimov's Foundation series.

Just finished
MereChristianity2.jpg

C.S. Lewis claims he was an atheist before finding Christ, but considering he never tackles a single difficult argument against Christianity, I find it difficult to believe he was ever anything more than apathetic. Disappointing book for a non-believer who was interested in hearing some strong arguments for Christianity.

Just started
51nxyvrTr8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Karakand

choodi said:

I am bored cause nothing is happening, but nothing is happening because this is the first act!

I assume the action heats up towards the end of the first book, and then gets really going in the second?
Can't wait for it to be enshrined in the fraternity of great boring books.

Maybe they can kick Lowry out to do it he's way too cool for those squares.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
FutureZombie said:
C.S. Lewis claims he was an atheist before finding Christ, but considering he never tackles a single difficult argument against Christianity, I find it difficult to believe he was ever anything more than apathetic. Disappointing book for a non-believer who was interested in hearing some strong arguments for Christianity.

It's the wrong book to look for that sort of thing. 'Mere Chistianity' is more about common ground among Christians than it is about persuading unbelievers. You might try 'The Problem of Pain' if you want his response to a more difficult argument.

Chorazin

catfish said:
51VJkqb8utL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

started reading this, it's pretty good, a nice easy read with some magic in to fill my craving. I'm satisfied enough to continue on with the series until july 12 for sure.

It's about a wizard in modern day.

Just think, that's the absolute worst book in the series, so if you like it it just gets better and better.

I don't know what to read. I currently have these sitting in my Kindle ready to go:

Shadow of the Lamb, The Blade Itself, The Gardens of the Moon, The Dragonbone Chair, Kindred, Free Will Flux, Revelation, Twilight (William Gay version .. not the vampire book)

Any good whodunit books that have come out recently? I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie and have read all of her books. Anything that is similar would be great, thanks in advance.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
pooptacular said:
Any good whodunit books that have come out recently? I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie and have read all of her books. Anything that is similar would be great, thanks in advance.

Not so many of those nowadays I'm afraid. It rather looks like the good old whodunit has vanished into more of the gory police procedural.

That said, my oldest bookshelf (which used to contain every Agatha Christie, now donated to my daughter) is currently crammed double deep with the following authors: Dick Francis (especially middle-period), Jeffrey Deaver, Lee Child, Ed McBain and David Baldacci.

Very few of those are real whodunit-type things (Francis' "Hot Money" probably comes closest, and is marvellous), so you might be better scouring the second-hand shops. I've just read all of Austin Freeman's Dr Thorndyke stories, which were fun; of course there is Holmes, and I'm tempted to dig out some of the other authors that Christie fancied (I think a Poirot soliloquy in "The Clocks" gives a useful list), but I haven't found anything (and especially not the usual 'heirs of Christie' in Ngaio Marsh/P D James/and whoever the other one is) to match her. And Dorothy Sayers makes me vomit.

Probably the ones I most enjoy are Ed McBain's 87th precinct stuff ("Money, Money" is spectacularly good).

Looking forward to see if anyone posts something more positive than this - I might find a new author.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, if you find an Ellery Queen compilation it might well be worth a try. Haven't got any, and they are old, but I do remember enjoying them a lot.

phisheep said:
Not so many of those nowadays I'm afraid. It rather looks like the good old whodunit has vanished into more of the gory police procedural.

That said, my oldest bookshelf (which used to contain every Agatha Christie, now donated to my daughter) is currently crammed double deep with the following authors: Dick Francis (especially middle-period), Jeffrey Deaver, Lee Child, Ed McBain and David Baldacci.

Very few of those are real whodunit-type things (Francis' "Hot Money" probably comes closest, and is marvellous), so you might be better scouring the second-hand shops. I've just read all of Austin Freeman's Dr Thorndyke stories, which were fun; of course there is Holmes, and I'm tempted to dig out some of the other authors that Christie fancied (I think a Poirot soliloquy in "The Clocks" gives a useful list), but I haven't found anything (and especially not the usual 'heirs of Christie' in Ngaio Marsh/P D James/and whoever the other one is) to match her. And Dorothy Sayers makes me vomit.

Probably the ones I most enjoy are Ed McBain's 87th precinct stuff ("Money, Money" is spectacularly good).

Looking forward to see if anyone posts something more positive than this - I might find a new author.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, if you find an Ellery Queen compilation it might well be worth a try. Haven't got any, and they are old, but I do remember enjoying them a lot.

Whoa thanks alot for the suggestions. More detailed answer than I thought I would get.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
pooptacular said:
Whoa thanks alot for the suggestions. More detailed answer than I thought I would get.

Just out of interest, which is your favourite Christie? (don't peek if you don't want to know mine first:
Endless Night xxx xxxx xxx xxxx xxx
)

EDIT: also, Christie's 'Partners in Crime' might lead you to some older - and probably out-of-print - authors, as each chapter parodies one of her contemporaries. That's how I got to Austin Freeman.

Finished:

Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris

Better than the previous book in the series, but still not as good as the first three.

I feel like Harris is just hiring typing monkeys to churn these out now. This book was missing a certain something, but I'm not sure what. I thought this was going to be the final book the series, but it seems not. Ugh. I read it thinking I could finally end the series, but looks like I'll have to wait for the next one. Who knows, maybe I'll forget about it.

nakedsushi said:
Finished:

Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris

Better than the previous book in the series, but still not as good as the first three.

I feel like Harris is just hiring typing monkeys to churn these out now. This book was missing a certain something, but I'm not sure what. I thought this was going to be the final book the series, but it seems not. Ugh. I read it thinking I could finally end the series, but looks like I'll have to wait for the next one. Who knows, maybe I'll forget about it.

I really like that someone used this:
picard-face-palm.gif
in their Goodreads review.

choodi said:

Nope. The series gets worse with each book, in my opinion.

n363902.jpg

Nice little read. Provides closure I guess, but I want more in this universe. Not as much a fan of his fantasy series though...

Top Bottom