• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
cashman said:
I remember a time when integration in schools seemed like a crazy idea.
Just because you want a way for Ron Washington to always appear competent doesn't mean you bring the gimmick DH and eliminate the strategy that the NL brings.

People thought electing George Bush in 2000 was a good idea too initially.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The Frankman said:
Just because you want a way for Ron Washington to always appear competent
He should've tried harder to win that All-Star game!

Outmanaged by Bruce Bochy and TLR.

Coins

Banned
I dont see Pujols signing anywhere else.

I dont think it gets reported much, but Pujols relationship with the local media is icy at best and he values his privacy. The local media here treat him as a God and I think he knows that anywhere else he goes that would be over.

The Dominican Winter League and the Carribbean World Series shall keep me sane until Feb.
Jakncoke, bur boy Starling Marte is killing it out there. Seems ready to make the team.

clemenx

Banned
Coins said:
I dont see Pujols signing anywhere else.

I dont think it gets reported much, but Pujols relationship with the local media is icy at best and he values his privacy. The local media here treat him as a God and I think he knows that anywhere else he goes that would be over.

Considering the offer he rejected at the start of the year we can be pretty sure that Pujols is just looking for the most $$$.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing or anything. That's the whole point of Free Agency. But I think giving reasons other than money for Pujols to go anywhere (including St. Louis) is silly to me.

jakncoke

Banned
Dmncnby2k9 said:
The Dominican Winter League and the Carribbean World Series shall keep me sane until Feb.
Jakncoke, bur boy Starling Marte is killing it out there. Seems ready to make the team.

Nice :D

BFIB

Got home from a night of partying in downtown STL.

What a night. 31 years old, felt like a kid again. Berkman ended up going out past the CF exit and partied on the streets for a while.

So, hangover is setting in, time to start thinking about where Pujols goes.

Coins

Banned
clemenx said:
Considering the offer he rejected at the start of the year we can be pretty sure that Pujols is just looking for the most $$$.

I dont think he wants the most money, just wants more than the initial number from the Cardinals first offer.

clemenx

Banned
Coins said:
I dont think he wants the most money, just wants more than the initial number from the Cardinals first offer.
How much more do you think he can get?
I think (hope) that no one uses A-Rod's contract as reference or anything close. Because that would be just silly for any player.

Maxim726X

So apparently this being discussed internally for the Phils (as per Stark): Wright for Worley, Brown, and someone else...

Hmm. I'd have to think about that one hard as a Met fan. Stick Murphy at 3rd, resign Reyes, Tejada at second, Brown, Bay (ouch) and Duda in the outfield.

It's a start.

BFIB

I'm thinking Lozano has been pushing for free agency the past few years. And it makes sense. If I'm Pujols, the best player in the game, who has never tested Free Agency, I'd do it too just to see where my market could be.

I'm thinking Lozano pushes the FA market to force the Cards to give top dollar to Pujols.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Maxim726X said:
So apparently this being discussed internally for the Phils (as per Stark): Wright for Worley, Brown, and someone else...

Hmm. I'd have to think about that one hard as a Met fan. Stick Murphy at 3rd, resign Reyes, Tejada at second, Brown, Bay (ouch) and Duda in the outfield.

It's a start.
DO IT

that would be a good deal for the mets

Windu

clemenx said:
I know Worley was actually good but can't help thinking about him as the next J.A. Happ.
still, wright is almost a FA and you would have Brown and Worely for awhile.

Maxim726X said:

It's a start.
Worth a look. I wouuld ask for Bastardo too. Lol

cashman

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
He should've tried harder to win that All-Star game!

Outmanaged by Bruce Bochy and TLR.
I hope Wash has verlander/felix combine for a shutout next year. Fuck trying to get everybody in.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
Makes no sense to trade Wright with his value so low. Wait until you see how he hits the first few months.

At what point is Wright going to be worth more than THAT? Brown + Worley + Something Good is highway robbery for the Mets. It's too good to be true.

darkside31337 said:
At what point is Wright going to be worth more than THAT? Brown + Worley + Something Good is highway robbery for the Mets. It's too good to be true.
This. I'm always arguing against trading Wright at this point because there's no way they're going get this much.

Oxx

I'm guessing it will be a pretty boring offseason for the Braves.

Devote all resources into fixing Heyward.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I approve of the thread title.

Now what do we do about making Fredi's death look like an accident? Ideas, Braves-Age?

Windu

Oxx said:
I'm guessing it will be a pretty boring offseason for the Braves.

Devote all resources into fixing Heyward.
Well, we have a lot of pitching depth so i wouldn't be suprised if we make a big deal.
CygnusXS said:

Now what do we do about making Fredi's death look like an accident? Ideas, Braves-Age?
credit goes to eznark for the wonderful title and i suggest maybe take him skydiving and forget to pack the parachute.

dwu8991

Banned
People seem to think forget TEXAS was one strike from winning the world series. Its appalling how people are referring to them now as "chockers".

Was a great World Series. And delivered on the ratings front.

It didn’t have the excitement of Game 6, but given its do-or-die factor, Game 7 of the 2011 World Series wound up being a ratings hit.

Based on the fast overnight numbers, FOX saw a 16.2 national television ratings number for Game 7, which saw the Cardinals beat the Rangers 6-2, and with it the club’s 11 World Series Championship. In the home markets for the two teams involves, ratings were, understandably, exceptionally high. In St. Louis the overnight ratings number was 52.7 while the Dallas/Ft. Worth market pulled a 40.3 overnight rating.

The 16.2 rating was the highest fast overnight television rating number for a World Series game since the Red Sox broke their 86 year futility mark in 2004, pulling in a 19.7 overnight rating. That series went just four games with the Red Sox sweeping the Cardinals.

Windu

i'd say being 1 strike away from the world series (TWICE) is a really good example of choking.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
CygnusXS said:

I saw this poisonous bean powder on breaking bad that will make it look like he died of natural causes.

I could put some in a paella or a cuban sandwich and take it to him. I think he lives in Alpharetta.

I can do a mean cuban accent too

Oxx

Windu said:
Well, we have a lot of pitching depth so i wouldn't be suprised if we make a big deal.

Perhaps. It seems like we have okay-ish players at each position, so there is room to upgrade. But if Heyward and Prado return to form and Delgado/Teheran/Minor/whoever can outperform Lowe's 2011, we should be good for a Wild Card...

Binx

I don't expect any Uggla like deals but like Windu says, depth (an maybe a little extra cash) may allow for something. Would love to see Heyward grow into his talent in '12. Maybe Walker is the man?

Conning some team into giving us something and some cash for Lowe would be a blockbuster hot stove deal for me.

CygnusXS said:
Send him on a "vacation" to Syria?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
AndresON777 said:
I saw this poisonous bean powder on breaking bad that will make it look like he died of natural causes.

I could put some in a paella or a cuban sandwich and take it to him. I think he lives in Alpharetta.

I can do a mean cuban accent too
Breaking Bad? Never heard of it.

CajoleJuice said:
First I heard of this but I would make that trade while quietly crying.
The local sports radio was saying the Phil's really want Wright but the Mets wont trade him in the division.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
yankeehater said:
The local sports radio was saying the Phil's really want Wright but the Mets wont trade him in the division.

This is so freaking stupid. I really hope Sandy Alderson is smarter than this.

Trading David Wright to the Phillies is not "making them better".

The Phillies have assets they are willing to trade, a package of Brown + Worley + Something Really Good.

If the Mets believe the Phillies package has more overall value than David Wright then in the process they are weakening the Phillies for both the short term and the long term.

The Phillies package doesn't just magically go away if the Mets say they aren't interested in trading Wright. Those players can and probably will be shipped away to another team and in return the Phillies will get back an asset that was worth more than the 1.9 fWAR David Wright of 2011.

Windu

well to be fair, i don't expect wright to have a year like he did last year. I expect something in the range of 3 to 4 fWAR.

nemss said:
Got home from a night of partying in downtown STL.

What a night. 31 years old, felt like a kid again. Berkman ended up going out past the CF exit and partied on the streets for a while.

So, hangover is setting in, time to start thinking about where Pujols goes.
Sounds like a grand time. Wish I was in STL last night lol.

The Cards should be doing w/e it takes to make him a Cardinal for life. I've already seen two WS championships in my lifetime so I'm content on throwing away a few years of competitive baseball at the backend of Albert's contract if we add him to the list of great lifelong Cardinals.

Last thing I want to see coming off a championship season is slashing payroll a la the Florida Marlins. And aside from Reyes, there aren't any other FA I'd like the Cards to sign if Pujols walks. If we let Pujols go only to overpay Fielder, I'd be very unhappy.

Wouldn't David Wright be looking for an extension? And if he has a good year, isn't the base line for that extension "Adrian Beltre money"? Phillies would really tie up more big dollars in an older-ish player?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:
well to be fair, i don't expect wright to have a year like he did last year. I expect something in the range of 3 to 4 fWAR.

Sure that's reasonable I'm just saying the logic and rationale of not wanting to trade a guy within your own division is stupid.

If you think the players and prospects you're receiving is better than the players and prospects you are giving up then you should be especially willing to pull the trigger on a deal within the division as it not only improves your team but directly weakens a division rival as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom