• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 1st year is killing my wallet

Thoraxes

aprOzrM_700b.jpg

This describes me so well (though Steam is wrong for me) it's almost alarming.

I already own 8 physical games on Switch, and 1 digital (Shovel Knight).

Add in SF, Disgaea, Arms, Cave Story+, and Splatoon 2, (all of which outside of SF I have never played) and yeah.

brinstar

Yeah I've already got a lot for mine. I haven't even finished Zelda yet and I'm about to get Disgaea next week. It's a good system.

ianpm31

1. Reboot modem/router
2. Reboot Switch
3. Tyr again.

Does it persist?
What happens if you move the dock to another location (other side of the TV or PS4 for example? Something may be blocking it's way or some interference going on. I'm guessing the Wifi is in the Switch tablet itself and nothing in the dock. So if it works fine without the dock, it's probably interference from other devices/walls/etc

That might be the case. Seems like its 2 feet away from having 2 bars. Have to figure out where to put it or just buy a ethernet adapter

silva1991

In my case, I'm just waiting for a reason to get the Switch. My wallet is safe.

I like the Switch and I own one, but I get increasingly tired of 'blind bliss,' I would call it. I don't know, I own every console and primarily play on PC so maybe I have some kind of bias, and I have never been big on console wars, but something about the Switch train turns me completely off from discussing it. Like the Switch has some good games for it and it was a decent launch, yes. but this year has been surging with great game releases and outside of Zelda there's nothing really on the Switch right now which compares with what's been releasing elsewhere, there's been some solid games but it's mostly been ports and smaller releases. My wallet has been struggling with gaming this year and the Switch certainly didn't help but I wouldn't say the Switch game library is particularly swamped with must buys right now, especially in a year where there's been so many must buys on other platforms.

I don't know, I guess the reason this bothers me is because it seems like fans trying to market the thing with the 'grass is greener' approach at times, like if they voice out how great things are on their side of the fence then it may cause others to join them. But it feels weird because of the methods I think. Like did you need to create this topic to say you're buying a lot for your Switch? What is it trying to accomplish or discuss? And it's not just been this thread, there's been various Switch threads about people trying to do some positive affirmation thing by being overtly positive. Like I swear this is the third NeoGAF topic on the same subject, which I guess there's an audience to discuss it but it just feels so forced to me.

I hope the Switch succeeds, and happy people like it, but this weird thing Nintendo fans are doing is really turning me off.

Pretty much.

Bioshocker

SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, X360.

Dreamcast 1st year was a bliss too.

Oboy, 2000 was crazy on Dreamcast. I thought I bought a ton of games but looking back I barely scratched the surface. Good for you enjoying the Switch, seems you're experiencing something nice right now. I'm yet to be convinced about the Switch, but Xbox One and PS4 are keeping me busy for now.

Mihos

Gold Member
I have Zelda. I don't see anything else out or coming I want until Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade. I may get Mario Odyssey just to collect it, although from what I have seen, it isn't really for me.

I have Zelda. I don't see anything else out or coming I want until Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade. I may get Mario Odyssey just to collect it, although from what I have seen, it isn't really for me.
This is me, except I'll probably like Mario.
In for the next MonHun when/if that happens.

DMONKUMA

Well no it's more like this year in general is hurting my wallet. Switch just adds to the fact especially since I bought the system.

MisterR

Well no it's more like this year in general is hurting my wallet. Switch just adds to the fact especially since I bought the system.

This I'll agree with completely. Between Yakuza 0, Persona 5, Zelda, Mario Kart and Horizon and buy a Switch, I'm broke.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
And here I'm sitting waiting for reasons to even go pick one up (Zelda and Mario ain't enough), e3 cant come sooner and make or break the Switch.

If you have cemu or wii U you can double on that. Mario is pretty much the only thing I would care for as of yet and its not even out...

Yup I have tons of Switch games in such a short period I certainly can't get to all of them but I like just having them there on my device haha

Disgaea 5 you're next.

Fulge1973

Banned
Arms & Splatoon 2: Day One
Neo Geo Games: all of them
Indie: some
VC: i hope to see something beautiful during the E3 (Gamcube and Dreamcast games, old games with new options, low prices, etc.)

I always favor handheld systems over didicated home consoles, so I have been buying quite a few games compared to this time in other console launches.

BOTW (duh)
LEGO City Undercover (LEGO games are perfect handheld games IMO and this is one of the best)
Mario Kart 8 (it's been a long time since I played a good arcade racer)
Snake Pass (available on other systems too, but I wanted to support it for being both a platformer and also having a very unique method of movement)

And I'll definitely be getting Stardew Valley on the Switch since I think handheld will be perfect for that game. Honestly, most Indie games I'll probably go with Switch over PC, Xb1, or PS4 if it's an option. Vita was where I played most of my Indie games (even if I owned them on PC already, haha).

I might even rebuy Rayman Legends this year if the price is right. I already own it on Vita, but being able to have it on a larger portable screen and dock it to play co-op (hopefully with the option of one joycon per player) would be the best of both worlds.

I know a lot of people are ripping you OP, but I agree. I also agree with that comic. Portability of Switch has breathed life into so many games that I wouldn't have the desire to sit down on a couch and dedicate huge play sessions to. Have something crazy like 150h in Isaac.

Noctilum

Just splatoon 2 and Mario Oddysee remaining for me this year. Unless a surprise is annnounced. I'd happily buy Wii U ports and tons of Virtual console games.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
my haul is

graceful explosion machine
binding of isaac
botw
mariokart
puyopuyo

its too much until im done with zelda. i still want wonderboy as well. the indies are making this thing amazing and arms and splatoon is going to make this a contender for the actual best multiplayer console, which is just weird

eliochip

The Switch is my dream console come true.

Also the portability makes it so easy to bring to party's making multiplayer games a more attractive thing for me. Not really a MarioKart fan but I brought it to a hang out and it was an absolute blast.

Being able to play on my bed or desk or TV is incredible. So yeah, any chance I get to buy software for this thing I tend to make an exception

Yeah, this is why I thought the Switch Price was excessive.
I still bought even though I swore I wouldn't though.
$70 controllers are fucking insane. Plus a microSD card, tempered glass screen protector, carry case and games, we are in PS3 launch price range. And don't forget about the paid online service this holiday season. Its an expensive toy.

I got the Switch + BotW + carrying case + screen protector for about $400 but I'm going to have to get a microSD soon.... well maybe not too soon, nothing interesting to me coming out until Mario so I should be good.

Well, I'll just wait several months for more games to come out and the third party + indie titles to receive price drops/sales.

Glad OP's having fun, but there is no need to have your wallet destroyed at all.

The Switch has enough quality software this year to be a desirable holiday product. It has high demand right now, which is pretty great for gamers.

The only thing killing my wallet right now is the RRP for Switch games in the UK.
£59.99? Get fucked.

Only bought 4 physical games so far and 5 digital games.

1-2 Switch
Just Dance
MK8D
Breath of the Wild

Snake Pass
Snipperclips
Kamiko
Thumper
FAST RMX

Kinda tempted to get I Am Setsuna, but other than that, the only games I'm looking to buy over the next couple months are ARMs and maybe Splatoon.

For the rest of the year, I'll probably only pick up Binding of Issac, Skyrim and Super Mario Odyssey.

The launch day1 looked so skimpy with just one AAA game that was also on another console. It's astounding to see this thing eat up my free time with a plethora of titles despite that.

Ironballs

Switch's launch window lineup is really good, I expected to only pick up Zelda and Mario Kart but the steady stream quality AA titles caught me by surprise. Clearly Nintendo learned a lot from 3DS and Wii U.

I had a PC and 3DS backlog already prior to purchasing the Switch. Since then, my PC and 3DS backlog hasn't budged an inch and now I have a backlog of games to finish on the Switch.

There is just something about the fact that every game can be taken and played anywhere that makes me want to buy everything for it. There are several titles that I've already played, but being able to have them everywhere I go makes them worth playing again.

So yeah, same boat and I'm loving every second of this cruise.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So a bunch of over priced hardware and some ports? People really should expect more from Nintendo.

If by barebones you mean I can quickly boot from game to game with minimal nonsense and updates then I'm all for it being a barebones system.

I wish all my consoles were this barebones.
SIKE

I notice two strong NeoGAF memes related to Switch games, and specially the eShop games. The first meme is "I've played those games years ago on other consoles".

The second meme is the opposite: "NoA is so stupid to not bring ports of old games to the console".

AFAIK, it's not theoretically possible to have played games like TumbleSeed, Snake Pass, NBA Playgrounds, Fast RMX, Mr. Shifty, Blaster Master Zero, Graceful Explosion Machine, Snipperclips, Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment, Wonder Boy earlier on other consoles. VOEZ is only teoretically possible to have played earlier on mobile.
I don't want to play any of those games, hence the term filler. I'm not interested in them. I am in no way insinuating that it doesn't have games.

I think Nintendo done a much better job of planning out their releases with Switch. They have made sure to have a new indie game once a week, a new first party game approximately once a month, and Third Party games a couple times a month. Much better than Wii U post launch day.

mindsale

So a bunch of over priced hardware and some ports? People really should expect more from Nintendo.

I agree. The Switch has almost no exclusives and it's a real shame. I feel like the people who champion all these Indie ports simply don't own a PC, XBox, or PS to have access to them otherwise.

That said, I love that I can play Wonder Boy and Breath of the Wild on a pseudo-tablet, and I'm excited to replay Harvest Moon and Disgaea. Obviously I'm excited for original, exclusive games, but I'd take an e-Shop or Virtual Console filled with Wii U games I can rebuy.

Because I'm a mark.

Wamb0wneD

So still only Zelda and Mario as reason for why I'd get a Switch, NOW WHAT?

Nothing. I just wonder what would pique your interest? Ive read "Only Zelda and Mario" so many times and most of the people would write the same shit after E3 as well, just ignoring everything. so when youre not in into:
unorthodox fighting games,
quirky third person online shooters with neat single player campaigns,
sprawling JRPGs
or smaller ones like Octopath Traveler...

Then what exactly are you waiting for?

Only wanting Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Animal Crossing or Smash and then complaining there are no games for the thing is just a bit redundant imo.

I agree. The Switch has almost no exclusives and it's a real shame. I feel like the people who champion all these Indie ports simply don't own a PC, XBox, or PS to have access to them otherwise.

That said, I love that I can play Wonder Boy and Breath of the Wild on a pseudo-tablet, and I'm excited to replay Harvest Moon and Disgaea. Obviously I'm excited for original, exclusive games, but I'd take an e-Shop or Virtual Console filled with Wii U games I can rebuy.

Because I'm a mark.

I have a PS4 but own zero indie games on it. For whatever reason I buy indie games on portable devices like 3DS, Wii U, Vita, and Switch. For this reason it seems like the go to device for a lot of those types of games.

mrmickfran

Lmao right? I was gonna hold off on a Switch for a bit since I just got a PS4, but it's getting hard to resist.

ARMS, Splatoon 2, Odyssey, Disgaea 5 and Sonic Mania if it gets a physical release.

I'm really craving a Switch now.

EDIT: oh fuck, how could I forget fucking XENOBLADE

I'm a little confused about people citing the accessories as "must-have" or somehow inherently added to the initial cost. I only bought an extra pair of Joycons for 4 player multiplayer and haven't touched anything else. Oh wait, I also bought 2 USB-C cords on amazon for a total of $14 which work perfectly for portable charging. EDIT: I also got a carrying case with my Zelda Special Edition purchase so I guess that counts.

But I haven't needed anything else. No screen protector and I've seen no scratches, even after probably a hundred dockings/undockings. No pro controller, split joycons is by far the best control scheme and I actually have fairly big hands. No microSD card, I've purchased 7 games digitally (including MK8D) and I have 14GB remaining. I'll probably need one eventually though.

The necessity for accessories is greatly overstated.

Wamb0wneD

Of course.

Literally every remaining PS3 exclusive thread (like the original releases of Kingdom Hearts 1.5 / 2.5) was filled with "PS4 port or no buy"/"Why can't they port this to PS4"-posts.

We had boatloads of "It's really hard to go back to last gen consoles"-threads as well. I don't even want to mention the self-mastubatory circus (8GB, PS4 would melt trying to do this, * Banderas gif *) every digital foundry-thread devolved into.

But sure, it's just those pesky Nintendo fans who are acting "out of line".

This. My guess is that some folks here aren't used to Nintendo fans being excited after almost a decade of bombing and casuality.

redcrayon

Or maybe they just have more time for stuff with a portable. That's certainly the case for me, older console/PC versions of a game are pretty meaningless to me when I only really play games on my commute these days. I could play some of them on my laptop, but seeing as I even watch more TV on my tablet than my telly these days, convenience gives media a new burst of life for some people. Since my daughter was born I think I've played games on something attached to a tv/monitor about three times.

A lot of the general Switch hype looks like busy adults rediscovering how convenient modern portables are.

I have a PS4 but own zero indie games on it. For whatever reason I buy indie games on portable devices like 3DS, Wii U, Vita, and Switch. For this reason it seems like the go to device for a lot of those types of games.

I have a PS4.

I rarely buy cheap indie games for it
because the AAA games/major releases all end up falling to that price anyway, and those are the games I bought a PS4 to play

Did the same thing with PS3 last gen, ended up getting Mass Effect Trilogy for $5.

I'm much happier spending money on games that have more affinity with the stuff I grew up playing on Nintendo systems... to play them on actual Nintendo systems rather than PlayStation, which I bought to play more modern sorts of games.

Top Bottom