• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yakuza in the works, series general director confirms

Yes, and they do change the gameplay. I don't know why people think the games always stay the same but they don't.
Probably didn't play it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You think people would do that?

Go on NeoGAF the internet and complain and bitch about games that they've never even played?

you-really-think-someone-would-do-that.jpg

YES!

Didn't expect it so soon, I hope we'll get to know what character takes up the mantle after Kiryu.

Yeah, I was expecting an August reveal to be honest. Pity its still another bloody month away though. Really wish this and the Destiny 2 gameplay reveals wouldn't have been teased so far in advance as its going to be one heck of a long wait!

Becuase they constantly deliver what fans are expecting? And if that isn't the case with sonic/cod/assassin then too bad.

Going back to Kamurocho with each instalment for me is like going back to a place I know and love dearly, always wondering what changed in the lives of characters they managed to make me give a damn about, while always being curious what crazy new shit is inevitably about to happen. No other game managed to replicate that feeling so this is why I won't get mad if some mini-games will get 'reused' atop shitton of new ones.

Again, completely agree. Each Yakuza game builds on what the last one had and continues to improve and expand the series. Mini games are improved, side stories get better and better and the amount of content continues to be built on. Combat is improved as well, play the original Yakuza, then try Kiwami to see just how far the series has progressed.

As for Kamuracho being reused, I understand this complaint, but to me they've always been building on the city and it feels like my home away from home. 2 gave us more mini games, 3 introduced the underground shopping mall and a brand new look thanks to the 3D camera, 4 gave us sewers, rooftops and more new activities, 5... I don't recall all that much added to Kamuracho but that game gave us 4 other cities so it didn't bother me. 0 took us back in time and gave us new areas and then Kiwami... well ok that one didn't really give us much new except loads of entertaining encounters with Majima (it was a remake so no real surprise at the lack of new stuff).

Of course 6 took away loading when exploring the city, took away quite a few of the invisible walls as well so I probably spent a good 10% of my time just exploring the city since there was so much new stuff to see and the lack of loading made exploration seamless, which was a huge improvement as well. Of course its a 1 step forward, 2 steps back for 6 since there are several legacy areas in the city that were walled off, which I really hope are back in this sequel.

Now in comparison to AC - I love the cities AC have but get bored exploring them after a while. They are huge but give me little enjoyment to explore. The crappy use of collectables and the awful side missions/mini games just bore the hell out of me... Gameplay wise the combat fucking sucks, stealth is laughable (neither of which feels like they've ever improved) and perhaps a controversial opinion but I felt the series actually took a step back after AC1 where it seemed like they removed the awesome set piece assassinations from the series (the rest of the gameplay vastly improved, but the assassinations never felt as satisfying to me).

As for Sonic, if they stuck with one style and kept improving it (like Yakuza) then I'd have no issue. I love the daytime Unleashed levels, what Colours did and Generations, but didn't like how they through that away for Lost World (hated the later levels) and my opinion is still up in the air for Sonic Forces. Sonic Mania looks bloody amazing though, can't wait for that.

This is all my opinion though, I love the Yakuza series, love the combat, the stories, the characters etc.

whoa, that is a long video.

any hints on what the next yakuza game will be?

No word yet. We'll have to wait until May 30th to know more. I've been thinking about this and wondered the following two things:

Its getting announced fairly "early" since 6 will have only been out 5-6 months in Japan. I expected an announcement at TGS in September at the absolute earliest. Makes me think they might be doing a side game, or remake of Yakuza 2 and release it in December, since it seems strange to announce the game so early otherwise.

HOWEVER

That goes against comments made recently making it sound like the next game would be a continuation of the main series, maybe staring a new protagonist.

So really I have no idea!

Suzuki Yu

No word yet. We'll have to wait until May 30th to know more. I've been thinking about this and wondered the following two things:

Its getting announced fairly "early" since 6 will have only been out 5-6 months in Japan. I expected an announcement at TGS in September at the absolute earliest. Makes me think they might be doing a side game, or remake of Yakuza 2 and release it in December, since it seems strange to announce the game so early otherwise.

HOWEVER

That goes against comments made recently making it sound like the next game would be a continuation of the main series, maybe staring a new protagonist.

they said recently that they will be able to talk/reveal the next game in an early stage. just like what they did with Y5 & Y6.
Yakuza 5 was announced when they were still focusing on Binary Domain in 2011.
Yakuza 6 even got a demo ready with the release of Kiwami (almost a year a head of it's release) + revealed earlier in 2015

in this year and based on all previous statements in the past 2 years they are most likely focusing on the new IP they've been working on for quite sometime while they might be able to announce or even reveal some of stuff from the next RGG title early (presumably starring a new protagonist and hopefully a new settings as well)

also in the light of their recent statement regarding the Dragon Engine, i think the new IP will use it and it might take it to it's full potential. part of me is saying that this Engine is under development with this new IP in mind.

HOWEVER

i want it to be yakuza kiwami 2 with yakuza 6's engine.

if kiryu's legacy has been wrapped, then delineate as best you can. Yakuza 2 is like Halo 2/Uncharted 2/Mass Effect 2 of the Yakuza series right?

The Yakuza series really took off in Asia according to Nagoshi, and that's why they said they were considering more remakes. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming announcement was for a remake of Y2.

Suzuki Yu

i want it to be yakuza kiwami 2 with yakuza 6's engine.
The Yakuza series really took off in Asia according to Nagoshi, and that's why they said they were considering more remakes. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming announcement was for a remake of Y2.
i think there is 0.1% chance for this IMO.
for two reasons:
- unlike Kiwami it's going to be more expensive and time consuming using the new engine (specially since they will have to create new assets for the remaining of Kamurocho & the entire Osaka district) + i don't think they will ever use the old engine again.
- and more importantly, they are super busy with two major projects at the moment (the new IP + the next big thing for RGG Series)

a remaster would be the best bet right now.

LAM09

HOWEVER

I just have a small feeling something Switch related will be announced.

they said recently that they will be able to talk/reveal the next game in an early stage. just like what they did with Y5 & Y6.
Yakuza 5 was announced when they were still focusing on Binary Domain in 2011.
Yakuza 6 even got a demo ready with the release of Kiwami (almost a year a head of it's release) + revealed earlier in 2015

in this year and based on all previous statements in the past 2 years they are most likely focusing on the new IP they've been working on for quite sometime while they might be able to announce or even reveal some of stuff from the next RGG title early (presumably starring a new protagonist and hopefully a new settings as well)

also in the light of their recent statement regarding the Dragon Engine, i think the new IP will use it and it might take it to it's full potential. part of me is saying that this Engine is under development with this new IP in mind.

Yeah, all that makes a lot of sense. I'm interested to see what the new IP they are working on is. I loved Binary Domain, so hope whatever they end up releasing will end up being as fun as Yakuza and BD was for me. Certainly makes sense to use the dragon engine for the new IP as well.

Only thing I can't see happening is the new setting in whatever Yakuza game we get next. Kamuracho in 6 felt very much like a work in progress, so the next game will most likely include a more feature rich Kamuracho to explore. We'll almost certainly see a second city to explore in the game though, so I wonder which other city they will choose.

I just have a small feeling something Switch related will be announced.

I wonder if Sega would want to try another Yakuza on a Nintendo console, as the HD collection port for Wii U tanked. I'd love another portable Yakuza game but I'm not sure if it'll happen :(

Was it ever confirmed that team Yakuza is working on a new IP? I remember them talking about a project with some code name but iirc that was before the announcement of Yakuza 6 and I thought it was confirmed later on that they were just talking about that game.

for two reasons:
- unlike Kiwami it's going to be more expensive and time consuming using the new engine (specially since they will have to create new assets for the remaining of Kamurocho & the entire Osaka district) + i don't think they will ever use the old engine again.
- and more importantly, they are super busy with two major projects at the moment (the new IP + the next big thing for RGG Series)

I could honestly see them using the old enhanced PS3 engine for a Y2 remake. Kiwami was developed to be more of a budget Yakuza title, so it didn't have to sell as much as the entries usually do for it to be a success. I think fans, and especially those new fans in Asia that the game would be primarily made for, would be just fine with it.

for two reasons:

it's gotta be way higher than 0.1%. Sega even said they want to make the second game and possibly more available on Ps4.

Rymuth

“Yakuza Studio has also reorganized, and from this year to next year we’re considering various developments,” Nagoshi said. “During that, I think that there will surely be developments that everyone expects. But personally, while putting my strength into new developments, I’d like to work hard enough so that you expect great things from me.”

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2017/05/toshihir...evelopments-yakuza-studio#g0ISXR2PaFDtHcRl.99

Seems like they're working on mulitple titles.

Give us Binary Domain 2, Nagoshi-sama

sometimes i wonder if yakuza 6 got downgraded?

C-Dmt8YXoAA-g0p.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

bottom is an in-game screenshot of kiryu in the demo

I'm terrible at telling if things have been downgraded or not unless its blindingly obvious, but from my time with the original tech demo of 6, and then the full game I didn't personally notice a downgrade - much of what was in that tech demo got reused in one way or another into the main game (characters wise) and the city looked just as good, if not better in the full game.

I'm terrible at telling if things have been downgraded or not unless its blindingly obvious, but from my time with the original tech demo of 6, and then the full game I didn't personally notice a downgrade - much of what was in that tech demo got reused in one way or another into the main game (characters wise) and the city looked just as good, if not better in the full game.
alright, cool. one of the reasons I say it is because Kiryu himself looks a little different from demo to final, also the detail on his blue jacket makes it look more real than his classic suit in final. The red shirt looks more flashy and gangster like but the rest looks the same as any other Yakuza game.

Kazuma_Kiryu_in_Yakuza_6.jpg

Shin

Banned
I'm really curious who will swap places with Kiryu as a lead going forward, somebody we know? Somebody new?

Looking at Kiryu's pictures above I can't help but feel that he somewhat resembles Ryo Hazuki from Shenmue.
Now that would be batshitcrazy if they made a Yakuza game with him, I need to start buying Yakuza games -_-

Picture-1.png

Is there a hope that Yakuza ip lands one day on PC? Since gta likes are rather popular on all platforms it could work.
they tried having it be multiplatform once when 1&2 were remastered on wii u but it flopped.

PC is a different ball game though..if Kiryu became Tekken 7 dlc that'd be the first step, but it needs to happen..
Usual with the exception of 5 and 0, but they seem to really be picking up the pace now. Admirable efforts.
not only that but because of how long 0 took, we get 2 games in 1 year - Kiwami in August for half price

Looking at Kiryu's pictures above I can't help but feel that he somewhat resembles Ryo Hazuki from Shenmue.
Now that would be batshitcrazy if they made a Yakuza game with him, I need to start buying Yakuza games -_-

Picture-1.png
when I saw this pose it immediately reminded me of this

Yakuza-6_09-15-16_003.jpg

Top Bottom