• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

Rubius

ok so my only gripe so far about the game is that town portals timeout after a while. I went afk, and came back and it had closed...

I see no reason for this to be a mechanic. At least we have Waypoints, but even then I had to walk and fight across a big zone to get to where I was...

Its a server issue, but also a mechanic thing. For example, you get 6 portals when you use a map. Its single use. And if you want to grab loot, you have to burst a use. And its 6 portals for the entire team. So if you want to go with 4 people, then its 4 portal used. If you die, you use one more portal too.
You have to be carefull and see what you want to grab.

JWong

Banned
Somehow I completely overlooked the different League's. Holy shit! Can't wait to play in a Cut-Throat or Attrition league. Cut-throat especially sounds great, but it also seems like it could have some issues.

Those leagues are still in testing. They would often hold events, like a 1-3 hour Cutthroat league to test things.

Cutthroat is definitely not ready as they have not figured out the long term gameplay for it.

Those leagues are still in testing. They would often hold events, like a 1-3 hour Cutthroat league to test things.

Cutthroat is definitely not ready as they have not figured out the long term gameplay for it.

Yeah, I can see them having some issues with Cut-Throat. The idea of them is pretty exciting though.

Interested in seeing what other types they come up with given time. Some short leagues with simple but interesting rules could be pretty damn fun.

Woot, thanks.

So with force move I'll have one less skill slot to work with?

Yes, but you don't need to use a key for auras once you activate them (they'll stay permanently on). What many players do is select aura -> activate, select next aura bound on same key -> activate, and so on.

Vodh

Played the game for a couple hours. Love the passives, sort of dislike the skills system but it's not bugging me in any major way, like what seems to be a nice, varied and deep itemization...

But the gameplay feels clunky and unrefined. I guess my biggest beef is that I find the visual feedback when I'm dealing damage too small. I guess changing it would be a bit too much to deal with in terms of work required tho...

I guess one thing that would make the game significantly more enjoyable for me would be adding optional floating combat text display. It's an easy and efficient solution to at least some of my issues and if it was optional and would need to be switched on, it wouldn't hurt anyone who likes it better the way it is now.

Still going to play the game some more once we're past the final character wipe, but while I'm positively surprised by some of its elements, I can't say I'm sold on the game just yet.

For those that are playing, how are the controls now? My biggest problem when I played a beta weekend was the delay on clicks, and odd animation. Basically the main things brought up in this post, from last year
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/41800

The combat timing just felt...way off. I feel the UI is rather ugly but seems to have improved since last summer, so I'm not really concerned about that aspect. But if your combat feels off, it can ruin a game like this imo. I have problems with D3 but it's combat timing, animation, and general tightness are all perfect. I look forward to playing PoE again in a few days, and would like the get other people's views on this. IMO the game does a lot of things better than D3 but controls and display could be a barrier for new players.

I understand the idea of players being slow in the early levels but that's no excuse for clunkiness.

I bought the beta back in july sadly I didnt play it much because I had no one to co op with. And I didnt really understand the mechanics that well. But if more people will be playing my username is my POE name

Vodh

Took a look at the forums and the last word on Floating Combat Text from the devs seems to be 'yeah it would be nice to have this as an optional feature' from May 2012. Why isn't it in the game yet?

Took a look at the forums and the last word on Floating Combat Text from the devs seems to be 'yeah it would be nice to have this as an optional feature' from May 2012. Why isn't it in the game yet?

It's not needed and would clutter up the screen. Go play in a 6 person group, you can't see anything already.

Vodh

It's not needed and would clutter up the screen. Go play in a 6 person group, you can't see anything already.

I need it. If you wouldn't like it, all you'd have to do is just keep it off - I would have absolutely zero problems with 'floating combat text: off' being the default option.

If they do implement combat text, they said it would be worked on after Open Beta since it's considered a "quality of life" feature and not a core system.

JWong

Banned
Features are prioritized, and Combat Text is at the bottom.

Chris Wilson said that it's not the direction they're going for in the game, so it's very low priority.

garath

I need it. If you wouldn't like it, all you'd have to do is just keep it off - I would have absolutely zero problems with 'floating combat text: off' being the default option.

^^

There's no reason not to have it as a toggle. Myself and vodh and many others want it quite a bit. Saying that it's not needed and is just clutter is an opinion not shared by us.

JWong

Banned
^^

There's no reason not to have it as a toggle. Myself and vodh and many others want it quite a bit. Saying that it's not needed and is just clutter is an opinion not shared by us.

Okay, well... do you want Act 4? Or do you want Combat Text?

Vodh

Wouldn't have a problem waiting a week longer for like absolutely everything else if it meant getting combat text. But that's just me, it's a feature I enjoy very much and for me it would be a very significant 'quality of life' improvement.
Yeah, i guess since they're a small team, prioritizing other enhancements is a good enough argument for me at least for now. Just hope it will get done sooner rather than later, I'd like to see it before I'm done with the game.

JWong

Banned
Wouldn't have a problem waiting a week longer for like absolutely everything else if it meant getting combat text. But that's just me, it's a feature I enjoy very much and for me it would be a very significant 'quality of life' improvement.
Yeah, i guess since they're a small team, prioritizing other enhancements is a good enough argument for me at least for now. Just hope it will get done sooner rather than later, I'd like to see it before I'm done with the game.

It's not gonna take just a week.

garath

It's not gonna take just a week.

Its an old argument about how long it takes to code things. Truth is we don't know. However the data is there. Even if it doesn't start "floating" and it would just end up in a text box, that would be a huge step forward.

You have RPG games, you are going to have a sizable population that wants the numbers. And put it high on the wish list.

Wallach

Would flicker strike be less useful in group play than solo? I'm assuming mobs have more health and would be harder to kill in one hit so you couldn't chain it.

Pretty much, I wouldn't use Flicker as the foundation of your build even as a Shadow without another strong AoE. Even then I don't like how much you need all the crit passives since you'll basically be perma-paranoid of reflect.

JWong

Banned
Its an old argument about how long it takes to code things. Truth is we don't know. However the data is there. Even if it doesn't start "floating" and it would just end up in a text box, that would be a huge step forward.

You have RPG games, you are going to have a sizable population that wants the numbers. And put it high on the wish list.

I know because I'm a game developer/producer.

Estimations are done and negotiated with the Engineer, but if that Engineer told me that it would take 40 man hours to finish, I would triple it, add two weeks of debug and also get a second opinion. Pop-up UI elements can be very taxing and can easily screw up performance.

Baffey

Neo Member
Pretty much, I wouldn't use Flicker as the foundation of your build even as a Shadow without another strong AoE. Even then I don't like how much you need all the crit passives since you'll basically be perma-paranoid of reflect.

The real problem with flicker strike is that it causes a ridiculous amount of de sync. The same goes for whirling blades. I hope they fixed that problem for the open beta.

Arksy

I’m so immersed in this game right now. I don’t even traditionally like ARPGs and loot games but this one is fantastic.

Beepos

So if I wanted to make a duel wielding sword attack speed guy who focused on elemental damage... Should I go Duelist or Shadow?

Wallach

So if I wanted to make a duel wielding sword attack speed guy who focused on elemental damage... Should I go Duelist or Shadow?

If you're going to commit to elemental focus I'd probably go Shadow. Unless something changes, Lightning is still the best damage element and Shadow has the best access to Arcing Blows while having a lot of options for a DW setup. This thread has a good example of a DW Shadow focused on elemental damage: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/55044

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good morning PoE-GAF! As you already know, I've been working on a legendary for a couple of days and I've managed to gather a lot of my own ideas that I might implement. But I thought that I don't want to do anything drastic until I get some ideas from you guys. I've always wanted to create something that "we" (PoE-GAF) will take in special consideration. So bottom-line is:

I need your help to give me ideas regarding:

1. What type of base item type would you want it to have?

2. What sort of theme and mods for the item? (Fire, Leech, etc)

3. Early-mid-or-late-game legendary?

4. I'm also open for any inspiration regarding the design of the item!

Please PM me if you have serious ideas that you'd like to share. Note that I won't be able to respond (or I might not even respond at all), until after I get back home from work.

Love,
Yoshi

Belgorim

I havent even played PoE yet (waiting for open), but as a long time diablo-player, I would go for a decent no/low-requirement item, those get used the most when leveling alts :p

Rubius

I would suggest a Shield with the Gaf Logo on it.
High Resistance against Fire (Flame)
Boost Fire Damage
Boost the number of totems you can have by 1
Boost one handed damage
When you are hit with a crit, your damage is boosted and you get a bonus in defense.

I would say Mid.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I have been using the same weapon since like lvl 10. +90% damage is pretty good.

At what level can you start higher difficulties?

Rubius

Guys guys. a CAD comic.
cad-20130121-d722f.png

Card Boy

Banned
Good morning PoE-GAF! As you already know, I've been working on a legendary for a couple of days and I've managed to gather a lot of my own ideas that I might implement. But I thought that I don't want to do anything drastic until I get some ideas from you guys. I've always wanted to create something that "we" (PoE-GAF) will take in special consideration. So bottom-line is:

I need your help to give me ideas regarding:

1. What type of base item type would you want it to have?

2. What sort of theme and mods for the item? (Fire, Leech, etc)

3. Early-mid-or-late-game legendary?

4. I'm also open for any inspiration regarding the design of the item!

Please PM me if you have serious ideas that you'd like to share. Note that I won't be able to respond (or I might not even respond at all), until after I get back home from work.

Love,
Yoshi

I'm a fan of items that have a really strong possitive but with a big draw back (sacrifice) in return.

Example:

Evilore's Bane (Sword)

- Life is reduced to 1
- 300% increased physical damage
- +10 Energy Shield Gained for each Enemy hit by Your Attacks
- Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage

Pommel of the hilt can be the Gaf logo.

Perkel

Banned

In one of the streams Chris said they don't want floating text. They want you to see those dodges, stuns, crits when you are playing not just status/number floating above you and they don't plan to add it in future. It also kills immersion especially with large AoE attacks and fast attacks.

In other stream he ws asked about it again and said that if players want it they will probably add it.

Personaly i don't know why people want floating text above because beside status which is easly noticable on character (like fire or stun) it don't give you anything. They are to fast to count and you already know your DPS before you even hit.

I personally don't like floating text. It makes combat feel more of a numbers game instead of making me feel better when I'm chunking larger bars of health.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
ive read on countless other forums that trying to get the proper uniques in this game is very rare more rare than getting a legendary in diablo 3. does this have any truth

KKRT00

ive read on countless other forums that trying to get the proper uniques in this game is very rare more rare than getting a legendary in diablo 3. does this have any truth

Not true, but some are very hard to get, because they are high level, so they only drop in high level maps, which are rare by themselves :)

Top Bottom