• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps E3 trailer

I'm REALLY looking forward to this! I wonder what new abilities Ori will get this time... I loved the traversal mechanics in the first game!

Hahahaha, can't wait to tell you guys more about Will of the Wisps! We've been working our butts off and it's already something really special :) Can't wait to show more - we'll talk a little about it on the Xbox Daily Show!

After all this time I finally started playing the first game this weekend. I don't want it to end.

I'm psyched for part 2.

lt519

God damn that looks amazing. My PC won't be able to handle this the way it was meant to be played... I may be picking up a cheap XONE S for this and the 4K player.

No problem paying a couple hundred for this game, that's how good the first one was.

bumpkin

I queued the trailer up to show my wife and she was like, "Wow, that was a depressing trailer." lol.

I'm not gonna lie, it got me in the feels.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing, the first one was great. Hope it comes out on Steam, I'll buy it as soon as it gets released there.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Guessing I should get the definitive version for 10 bucks on XBL?

Is this on PC? And if so does it run it 4k?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I'm REALLY looking forward to this! I wonder what new abilities Ori will get this time... I loved the traversal mechanics in the first game!

That's my main concern. They will just remove all abilities and we will have to get them again, I hate when games do that. Which is why I would prefer a new main character in the same universe.

That's my main concern. They will just remove all abilities and we will have to get them again, I hate when games do that. Which is why I would prefer a new main character in the same universe.

Not all Metroidvanias go this route. Games like Metroid Prime 3 and Arkham City/Knight let you keep many of your old abilities and add new ones for you to find.

Exentryk

I'd rather the abilities be reset, so you get that feeling of growth. If I'm flying through the levels right at the start, the progression will feel mediocre.

Ori is one of my favorite Metroid-style games, and this sequel hitting all the same notes the first one did before it released.

My most anticipated game now. SO HYPED

Same. Sat and stared at my #3/13 print and controller Thomas and the rest at Moon Studios sent me! Cannot wait to do some more giveaways for this and spread the word far and wide about the best game ever!

I sure hope Thomas and some of the original crew have their hands in this one.

Fredrik

I'd rather the abilities be reset, so you get that feeling of growth. If I'm flying through the levels right at the start, the progression will feel mediocre.
Yeah and I think it would be complicated without the slow upgrades to help you learn the moves as you progress through the game. And I like the feeling of starting out weak and end up super strong, revisiting old areas with new abilities is always great in most games but in Blind Forest it was awesome, only rivaled by Super Metroid imo.

The skill tree branches could be longer and more diversed though, so you could replay the game and place the skill points differently and it would feel like a completely different game.

Hahahaha, can't wait to tell you guys more about Will of the Wisps! We've been working our butts off and it's already something really special :) Can't wait to show more - we'll talk a little about it on the Xbox Daily Show!

Yasssss! Posted above before I saw your reply. Can't wait to log another 300+ hours in you guys and gals' universe!!

I tweeted another pic of the print I got. :D Gosh I love that thing. I want to reframe into a double-border mat framing, but I can't find a frame style that does it justice!

Not sure if posted but Gareth Coker‏ uploaded the music track from the trailer.

https://garethcoker.bandcamp.com/track/ori-and-the-will-of-the-wisps-teaser-music

Thanks for this! Bought it already! Gareth's music for Ori will stand up for decades to come as some of the best, most haunting musical creations for any game. So unbelievably memorable, just like the game.

I loved every single track on the first. You guys crafted a masterpiece. You made it better in the Def Edition. And now this? I can't even. As a gamer of 30 years now, hands down best combination of visuals, gameplay, and music ever. Thank you!

GAF, you guys better get ready for another #SpreadTheFeels campaign!!

Guessing I should get the definitive version for 10 bucks on XBL?

Is this on PC? And if so does it run it 4k?

It would be a steal at $59.99. You're a damn fool if you don't buy it at $10.

Fredrik

I honestly cried when watching this trailer twice. The music....the visuals....the final scene. Just...damn. I don't have a good PC or an Xbox (don't plan on getting one anytime soon) but man, Ori 2 is my GOTS so far.

Nothing can top the emotional impact that trailer had for me honestly.
Yeah I don't get how they do it, it pulls all the right strings with the music and animation, it all gets so increadibly emotional, it was even better the second time for me when you notice all the little emotions from the animation.

Nothing will ever top Brothers a Tale of two Sons for me when it comes to getting emotional, it just blew the flood gates wide open, but I bet most of us will be playing Will of the Wisp with teary eyes just like Blind Forest judging by this trailer.

Despera

Banned
Your team's work shows man :eek:

Game looks fucking incredible!

ryechu

They might have you start with double jump, but I don't see this game having all the end game abilities from ori. That'd be ridiculous.

Theory on ability reset: Ori gained his abilities via
Sein
right?
Sein was returned to the spirit tree
at the end of Blind Forest (ending spoilers!), which could mean Ori lost at least part of his advanced abilities in the next game. I can see them keeping some of the old abilities as baseline, and introduce new ones down the line.

Hardly "killed it". No need for the over zealous exagerations. Still a beautiful looking game.

No, seriously and not to turn this thread into another 60/30 thread but the animation in 60 makes it look that much better.

If you don't agree it's fine but yes to me it's almost necessary to play this in 60fps. The beautiful animation is lost in 30.

Theory on ability reset: Ori gained his abilities via
Sein
right?
Sein was returned to the spirit tree
at the end of Blind Forest (ending spoilers!), which could mean Ori lost at least part of his advanced abilities in the next game. I can see them keeping some of the old abilities as baseline, and introduce new ones down the line.

A believable theory.

I could also see some possibility for co-op here. Doubt it just because it would take away from the fluidity of the game waiting on a partner. But that's a solid theory for ability reset, not to mention the new abilities being DIFFERENT than those from the first game.

Also I am getting distinct 'boss fight' vibes from the trailer. Might be assuming too much, but I just have this tingling in my Ori senses.

Really hope its also on Steam. There is no issue that its Windows 10 exclusive, but it would suck if its only available through the Windows 10 store. These games usually run like shit on my laptop. Hope it performes as well as Ori and the blind forest.

Danke, Thomas! Thank you so much for your and your team's hard work on these games. They are true gems of the industry.

I'm still tripping out over the fact that there's more Ori. As much as I don't want Moon to trap themselves into one IP, I hope we see more of these games for many more years. Nothing else comes close in art and music and I had virtually no problems with the gameplay or story. I can't stress enough how much I appreciate the artistic perfection that went into the first game.

The Ori soundtrack is a pleasant listen cover to cover. Anytime I'm doing conceptwork or design, I have it on and it's tremendously inspiring.

A believable theory.

I could also see some possibility for co-op here. Doubt it just because it would take away from the fluidity of the game waiting on a partner. But that's a solid theory for ability reset, not to mention the new abilities being DIFFERENT than those from the first game.

Also I am getting distinct 'boss fight' vibes from the trailer. Might be assuming too much, but I just have this tingling in my Ori senses.

epic boss fights and optional coop (like a character that is running around with you during SP but player controlled if you want) would make this sequel game of the forever for me. It'd be decidedly different from the first game of course, but I'm sure Moon will deliver on them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Really hope its also on Steam. There is no issue that its Windows 10 exclusive, but it would suck if its only available through the Windows 10 store. These games usually run like shit on my laptop. Hope it performes as well as Ori and the blind forest.

It won't be on Steam at launch. Microsoft has never released a "Windows 10" game on the WinStore and Steam simultaneously and, not to suggest he's in the wrong as I doubt Moon has any say in the matter and has probably been told not to comment, Thomas hasn't addressed the question -- which has been asked several times -- despite posting twice.

More Ori <3

My wife and I loved the last game and beat it on each our Xbox One profile, plus the def. edition. We're really looking forward to this!!

Knurek

It won't be on Steam at launch.

Owners: 921,299 ± 28,902

5noHKsb.jpg

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Will there be a physical version again? And will I have to import it again, if I am in Europe?

Great you are making a second one!

Coxy100

Banned
I'm guessing this is not going to be on steam for a while judging by the lack of answer from Thomas...

I've sold my Xbox One now where I played Ori originally.

Does a DS4 controller only work on Steam or will it work with Windows Store games too?

Bluth54

The game looks great but I don't have an Xbox One and I'm sure as shit not going to buy anything on the Windows street due to GfWL and the various issues the store has so I guess I just have to hope it eventually comes to Steam.

I can also confirm about the extraordinary quality of the first game. The opening scene will have you hooked like none other.

Please play this game

Top Bottom