• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My 2012 Laptop Can Run Skyrim on High at 60fps. Why not XBO/PS4?

I just got around to watching videos for the Special Edition of Skyrim, and while it looks absolutely beautiful, it is apparently locked at 30fps. I find this disappointing. I really thought Bethesda would at least try and boost the framerate along with the visuals.

As I mentioned in the title, I have a 2012 laptop with a GT 650M and I'm able to run Skyrim at around High with a near-constant 60fps. I know that both the Xbox One and PS4 have more powerful GPUs than the GT650M.

My best guess would be the underwhelming CPUs. I recall Skyrim being extremely CPU-hungry on PC (which is probably typical for an open-world title), so that would make sense. Still disappointing, though.

Sini

My 2011 laptop with GT555M and i5-2410M can do the same. Aren't the CPUs in those consoles meant for netbooks and low power stuff like that?

Because this isn't the old Skyrim but a new enhanced and visual appealing version.
The extent of the improvements doesn't appear that significant to me, if I'm being honest. It has more foliage and colors, but it's not super mind-blowing graphically compared to the original.

Patchy

Banned
I doubt it could run the special edition on high but my XPS15 is the same, Skyrim has always run well plus a mod or 5.

The extent of the improvements don't appear that significant to me, if I'm being honest. It has more foliage and colors, but it's not super mind-blowing graphically compared to the original.

Same here, and I'm no graphics snob or anything. It looks good, but it doesn't blow me away like the GTAV (360/PS3) -> GTAV (X1/PS4) did.

Madness

Probably for the same reason a 2005 Xbox 360 can run certain elements for Gears of War 1 that Xbox One struggled with for Ultimate Edition. They had to cut the rain/weather effects on certain maps in campaign and multiplayer etc.

The CPU are really weak in the current consoles, even clock rate bumps only help a little. Couple that with low end gpu that can only help so much you have certain games struggle.

Say that to Kojima.

Really?

“This is a game that is not necessarily what you would call sandbox where you can go wherever you want and do whatever you want, like in GTA,” he said. “This is not the way this game works. For our game, you get in, you accomplish a mission and you get out. These missions are very simple; destroying something, arresting someone, killing someone, recovering something. It’s really simple in that regard."
- Kojima

120v

you're overstating capabilities of the consoles

skyrim is a massive fucking game. plop the fallout 4 engine on that, yeah... you're not getting 60 fps bub

AAMARMO

Banned
It's open world but I wouldn't call it massive. For what Kojima did with this game running at 60fps on consoles is truly impressive.

MGSV-Map-Size-Comparison-1.jpg

BigEmil

Bethesda doesn't care or bother to try optimising it for 60fps, even with the weak CPU, other games that is more demanding can run 60fps on console but not this ugly game?

Because they'd rather put a bunch of post-processing effects and target 30 than 60.

It's probably more like the awful CPUs wouldn't give them a stable 60 anyway, so they thought "well we have headroom, let's cram more effects in until it's just straight 30" and rolled with that.

Wallach

I mean, your laptop probably won't run SE at 60 FPS either. If they just straight ported Skyrim over they probably would have targeted 60, but that actually would have been the lazy shit that people are currently aiming at them.

Top Bottom