• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yomawari |OT| - Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
UAy1BmX.png

sIUey8O.png

Title: Yomawari
Platform: PlayStation Vita / Vita TV
Release Date: 10-29-2015 (JPN)
Genre: Nighttime Investigation Action
Publisher: Nippon Ichi Software
Player(s): 1
CERO: C (15 and up)
Price: Physical - 5,980 (w/tax 6,458 JPY)
Download - 5,143 JPY w/tax

xH2qhPq.png

A young girl was walking with her dog.

However, the dog was involved in an accident as a result of her carelessness, and disappeared somewhere.

Her older sister, who saw her return home with an empty leash, went out in search of the dog.

When her sister doesn’t return, the young girl who was left alone leaves the house and goes out into the eerie night of the town, which is completely different from how it looks during the day.
*Credits to Gematsu

ot5Bf6L.png

■ Game Flow

Leave your house in the dead of the night, into the nighttime town. Explore the city in search of clues for your missing dog and older sister. The game progresses based on your discoveries and events.
When you complete your search for that day, you’ll advance to the next night. You can catch up on events that happened previous nights by reading your Diary.

■ Exploration
cz8k5PQ.jpg

Various things are lined up along the road and roadside. The majority of these things are covered in darkness, but can be seen through the shine of a flashlight. Sometimes there will also be fallen items that appear. That said, it’s important to proceed with your search with your flashlight shining.

■ ? and !
sJts40S.jpg

As you explore, a question mark might appear above the girl’s head. Question marks indicate things that there are things in the girl’s vicinity that can be examined. As you approach them, the question mark will change into an exclamation point, allowing you to examine whatever it may be. When you’re near the target, press circle to examine it and you could pick up someone’s “Lost Property.”

■ Finding Items

Items you find during your search can be picked up and carried. There are various items you can find, ranging from a “Stone” lying on the side of the road to someone’s “Lost Property.”

• Stone – These are commonplace on the roadside. You can throw them or use them as landmarks.
  • Money – These coins are required in certain places. They can be found all over the town.
  • Shovel – A shovel forgotten somewhere by some child. It can be used at specific locations, such as in sand.
■ Expanding Your Search Range

Using items you acquire, you’ll be able to expand your search range to areas you couldn’t access at the beginning of the game, moving forward to complete the scenario.

More Info on features can be found in the full Gematsu link below.
*Credits to Gematsu

PHY1moB.png

D0rQxgu.png

Promotional Trailer
System Introduction Trailer
Dengeki Gameplay w/ commentary Pt. 1
Dengeki Gameplay w/ commentary Pt. 2

UYGgIlc.png

#0:
Q: Any word on localization for the West?
A: Unfortunately nothing at this moment. Perhaps NIS America will do an announcement during the December, PlayStation Experience? Outside of that no idea if / when they would make an announcement otherwise.

#1:
Q: What type of game is this?
A: While it may sound weird, the official Japanese name for the genre is "Nighttime Investigation Action". Basically an action game.

#2:
Q: Do I need to know Japanese to play this game?
A: Having played through a couple hours of the game, would suggest being able to understand the language. Reason being is due to there is no voiced lines and the text itself outside of a triggered events is the only real way you are told where to go to next and such. So without knowing the language, you will be getting stuck often I would imagine. So unless someone makes an English FAQ its going to be difficult to fumble around in the dark literally.

#3:
Q: Is this game scary?
A: Game does indeed have a creep factor and with the excellent sound work it uses adds to that experience. So with that being said, do suggest playing this game with headphones.

#4:
Q: Does this work on a Western Vita?
A: As with pretty much any Vita title, the physical cart should work no problem. Digital Download version requires a Japanese PSN account.

#5:
Q: Are there any official review scores out?
A: Yomawari (PSV) – 7/7/8/7 [29/40]
*Credits to Gematsu

#6:
Q: How do I save?
A: Thanks to JudgmentJay for checking this out again in depth here is his quote below. Also do apologize to those who I had initially said it was the coin + shrine. Had not totally turned off the Vita with my game so had thought that it was actually saving lol. D:
Late reply, but yeah, you can only save your progress in the house (in addition to the game prompting you to save after each chapter). Using a coin at a shrine only sets your respawn point.

hHPqQ8t.png

AmiAmi
Nippon-Yasan
CD Japan
HMV Japan
*Disclaimer: Neither GAF nor myself has any sort of affiliation with the following sites above. These are just the most common ones members frequently speak of when it comes to online import shops and these links are for the convenience of the members who are still interested in importing the Japanese version of the game. Mods if you feel this is inappropriate let me know and will remove this section.

oJuYMFS.png

• Thanks goes out to Nippon Ichi Software for the resources used to make up the graphics in this OT.
  • Thanks goes out to Gematsu for the informational resources found within this OT.
  • Thanks goes out to DS Design for the KidTYPE-CrayonA Font.
  • Thanks goes out to FFonts.net website for having an awesome selection of fonts to download and use.
*Disclaimer: I have no official affiliation to Nippon Ichi Software, Gematsu, TracerTong or DaFont.com

cGJzdQa.gif

Parakeetman

Wonderful OT, Parrtoman.

Thanks!

Since its way too late here, wont be able to mess with the game tonight. Was busy with a bunch of work related stuff on top of finishing this out. D:

Super ready for spooky scares. Watched the first 20 min or so and was sufficiently freaked out.

Yeah man some of the monster designs most def look like stuff thats gonna cause sleep issues lol.

Really looking forward to getting this, I've been interested in getting the game ever since it was first announced. Knowing my luck my import copy will arrive and a localisation for the game will be announced the following day!

Biggest question for me is whether this will have prolonged action sequences with instant death and no checkpoints.

I'm not actually sure whether this would turn me off, but it would be good to know.

Parakeetman

Will have to check things out tomorrow as am turning in for the night. Outside of that there are those 2 gameplay vids that dengeki put up. I didnt watch them myself as was too busy finishing things outside of finding those links to add.

Parakeetman

Game most def is something to play with headphones. Totally changes the experience personally from what little I played. Will play more tonight hopefully. Though still am quite busy (´Д`|||)

Parakeetman

quick word of warning you will die a lot in the game and part of that will come from wandering around to find the next trigger point that shows the player what direction they need to head in.

reading is important due to the clues given which appear in text. so will have to update the faq later.

asides from that its a pretty interesting little title. checkpoints are initiated by the player with using the 10 yen coins at the small stone shrines around the map. the coins arr found around the enviro. not sure if they respawn or not. stone for the time being seem worthless even when you throw them due to the short distance.

hiding is important for survival due to when an enemy is near your heart rate rises causing you stamina to drain faster which can make escaping from enemies a problem if too close to them. so hiding allows the enemy to wander awayfrom your location allowing you to escape ftom the area. this game seems to be designed for finding a place to hide rather than trying to outrun the enemy.

More I see of this game, more I want it.

In particular, the soundtrack seems stellar.

Will be crossing my fingers for NISA on this one but will import if not.

quick word of warning you will die a lot in the game and part of that will come from wandering around to find the next trigger point that shows the player what direction they need to head in.

reading is important due to the clues given which appear in text. so will have to update the faq later.

asides from that its a pretty interesting little title. checkpoints are initiated by the player with using the 10 yen coins at the small stone shrines around the map. the coins arr found around the enviro. not sure if they respawn or not. stone for the time being seem worthless even when you throw them due to the short distance.

hiding is important for survival due to when an enemy is near your heart rate rises causing you stamina to drain faster which can make escaping from enemies a problem if too close to them. so hiding allows the enemy to wander awayfrom your location allowing you to escape ftom the area. this game seems to be designed for finding a place to hide rather than trying to outrun the enemy.

Thanks for the heads up. How difficult would you say the game is so far? You mentioned you die a lot - is that due to bad sign posting or the game just being genuinely difficult?

Parakeetman

Thanks for the heads up. How difficult would you say the game is so far? You mentioned you die a lot - is that due to bad sign posting or the game just being genuinely difficult?

its just due to all the wandering you have to do in an unfamiliar enviro with a limited visual area as monsters only show up when the flashlight beam is on them. that and to save time im running more than hiding which can cause a lot of unnecessary deaths lol

but there is a pretty fair amount of enemies and am still unfamiliar with the movement patterns and types, only managed to get a few hrs in.

itsboth a good and bad point with how wandering is the major gameplay feature. it most does give the feeling of dread that the protagonist must be feeling as you wander around in dark.

once again most def play with headphones.

Parakeetman

Thanks for the info Parakeetman, looks like I need to buy some decent headphones then!

Im just using standard earbuds at the moment and it works fine, dont really need any high speed gear for the game. Just something decent enough so you can enjoy the sound work of the game.

Finally got a Vita a few weeks back and this is on my list of must-haves. Prices are decent on Play-Asia and Amazon and the delivery time turnaround means I'll be able to get it before I head out for winter vacation on the road and staying in dark, wooded places.

Parakeetman

Finally got a Vita a few weeks back and this is on my list of must-haves. Prices are decent on Play-Asia and Amazon and the delivery time turnaround means I'll be able to get it before I head out for winter vacation on the road and staying in dark, wooded places.

haha cool, should be a good time. yeah game thankfully isnt too expensive

Sooo I played this for about 3 hours yesterday, but when I started the game up just now to continue I discovered that none of my progress saved =/. I assumed that offering the 10 yen coins at the jizou shrines was saving my progress, but apparently that only sets your spawn point? Pretty confusing since the message that pops up says "interim save complete."

I enjoyed it enough that I'm willing to start over however. Is the only way to save to return home then? Is anyone even playing this?

Sooo I played this for about 3 hours yesterday, but when I started the game up just now to continue I discovered that none of my progress saved =/. I assumed that offering the 10 yen coins at the jizou shrines was saving my progress, but apparently that only sets your spawn point? Pretty confusing since the message that pops up says "interim save complete."

I enjoyed it enough that I'm willing to start over however. Is the only way to save to return home then? Is anyone even playing this?

I'm playing it as well! I could've sworn that the jizou saves were saving progress, not simply spawn points :/ the game does save when you pick up items however since I've definitely died and all the items I had picked up, as well as areas of the map I had uncovered, were preserved.

Really dig the game though. Those monster designs are creepy as hell.

I'm playing it as well! I could've sworn that the jizou saves were saving progress, not simply spawn points :/ the game does save when you pick up items however since I've definitely died and all the items I had picked up, as well as areas of the map I had uncovered, were preserved.

Really dig the game though. Those monster designs are creepy as hell.

Yeah items were saving through death and stuff as well as exploration progress, but when I tried to reload after exiting the game completely, it put me back at the beginning when you go into the house for the first time. Oh well, I'm sure I can get back to where I was quickly. A little disappointing though as I had collected quite a few items.

And yeah, the game is great.

Parakeetman

Yeah items were saving through death and stuff as well as exploration progress, but when I tried to reload after exiting the game completely, it put me back at the beginning when you go into the house for the first time. Oh well, I'm sure I can get back to where I was quickly. A little disappointing though as I had collected quite a few items.

And yeah, the game is great.

thats odd since could have sworn the main page says the coins and statues are for saving kinda like tape and typewriters from RE

Late reply, but yeah, you can only save your progress in the house (in addition to the game prompting you to save after each chapter). Using a coin at a shrine only sets your respawn point.

Anyway, I finished the game tonight. Loved it. I like that there were a lot of random scary things that can happen around town and that there are a number of more meaningful scripted events as well. I also liked that there were a good variety of enemies and that many of them have unique ways of being dealt with. Story related spoilers (including ending):
I got legit sad when she finally found Poro. Also, pretty good ending. Not quite sure why her eye exploded. I assume it was just the strain of having dealt with so much supernatural stuff?

Pretty damn good, 9/10. It's fairly short, though I feel like if you do everything in the game it's enough content to justify the price of a full game. It's probably ~4-6 hours long, 8-10 for a platinum. Oh, except for the trophy that's just "play the game for 50 hours."

Parakeetman

Anyway, I finished the game tonight. Loved it. I like that there were a lot of random scary things that can happen around town and that there are a number of more meaningful scripted events as well. I also liked that there were a good variety of enemies and that many of them have unique ways of being dealt with. Story related spoilers (including ending):
I got legit sad when she finally found Poro. Also, pretty good ending. Not quite sure why her eye exploded. I assume it was just the strain of having dealt with so much supernatural stuff?

Pretty damn good, 9/10. It's fairly short, though I feel like if you do everything in the game it's enough content to justify the price of a full game. It's probably ~4-6 hours long, 8-10 for a platinum. Oh, except for the trophy that's just "play the game for 50 hours."

gotta fix that in the FAQ then. Thanks for the confirmation. been so damned busy on this side hardly have time for anything so wasnt able to go back and confirm it myself.

glad to hear you cleared and enjoyed the game!

Finally finished it all up today-- everything except the "50 Hour" trophy for the plat, but I've got it running overnight so it should only be a matter of time.

Great game that doesn't really penalize you for death and encourages exploration. The core game is really short and hunting for collectibles that have no function in the game other than flesh out the world could be a bit could be a chore for some, but I felt like they really added to the game's atmosphere. Really lovely art style and some wicked monster designs.

Trophies are mostly story related, collectibles, and a few side-quest/optional events. The optional events can be really obtuse especially since most of them trigger randomly, still I found clearing everything to be a fun challenge when the rest of the game was so easy; the "play the game for 50 hours" trophy is jarringly out of place in a game that should only take you anywhere from 3-5 hours to clear. I have no idea what they were thinking with that one.

Overall a great purchase and if you're someone studying Japanese or have limited Kanji reading ability, even better since it's all hiragana & katakana and the story/item descriptions are very easy to follow, so I'd say it's a good choice for language learners as well.

Fady K

Thanks for the impressions! Happy to see that exploration is encouraged. Thankful it's coming in English.

I don't know if "enjoy" is the right word. It was a very interesting, engrossing experience, but punctuated by moments of extreme frustration and over far too quickly. I'd say it's an easy recommendation at 2,000 yen, a decent buy at 3,000, and worth the actual MSRP only if you're really interested in literally everything about it and willing to overlook some rough spots.

Also, apparently this was announced for localization and I completely missed it?

Parakeetman

Did everyone end up enjoying the game in the end?

Its not exactly a title Id recommend to everyone as this most def is a title that will try ones patience depending.

Though it is a unique title and those interested in it might as well pick it up.

Parakeetman

I do hope they make more with this unique art style as I really dig the character design. Its something special like Firefly Diary. Which is yet another game I woudlnt suggest to others openly just due to how it is designed to drive the player insane lol

Did everyone end up enjoying the game in the end?

Yeah I'd definitely give the game an 8/10. If you're looking to plat the game though you'll likely need a guide to know how to trigger some of the optional side activities (that all have trophies) since a few of them are random. The art design is great though and the ability to mop up collectibles at the end with a Free Roam mode was very welcome.

About how long is the game? What was frustrating about it?

Probably five to ten hours depending on how much exploring you do and how many side quests (really cool) and collecting (much less so) you feel like doing.

For the bulk of the game you have nothing that could be considered a weapon, and all you can do is run. If something is chasing you your stamina gauge decreases extremely rapidly and barely refills. Thankfully, if you play carefully you can usually avoid enemies and it feels very nerve-wracking, but then the game will occasionally throw a monster at you extremely suddenly and with very little chance to escape.

If you get touched by anything you die instantly and are sent back to a checkpoint. Usually that's a very short distance back, but sometimes it's quite a ways. The lack of any other real penalties to death and the fact that "narrow escapes" are often straight-up impossible makes these segments into more of a cycle of tedium and frustration rather than the tension they were presumably going for.

About how long is the game? What was frustrating about it?

I'd say the 5-10 hour estimate is accurate. If I were to play it again though I imagine it'd only take 3 tops since part of the play time is just wandering the town and getting to know the surroundings.

If you want the platinum trophy for this game however it's going to be a 50 hour playthrough because of a trophy that requires you to play that long. Ultimately what most sane people do is just tie a rubber band around the analog stick to move your character and make sure the vita doesn't sleep, then plug it in and go to bed. Do that for a few nights and you'll be fine, combined with normal gameplay time.

BearChair

I know this is coming to the US later this year, and I plan on getting it.

Do we know yet if it will get a physical release in the US. I'll likely get it regardless, but will prefer physical of that's an option.

Tohsaka

I know this is coming to the US later this year, and I plan on getting it.

Do we know yet if it will get a physical release in the US. I'll likely get it regardless, but will prefer physical of that's an option.

NISA said it might get a very limited physical release. It'll probably be only through their website, I assume.

Intel_89

I'm really unsure whether I should pre-order this game. It sure looks cool and whatnot but from what they've shown so far (english material) I have no idea if the short experience is meaty enough to really make this something special.

It's currently 32EUR + shipping on Amazon.es and comes with the added bonus of HTOL#NIQ included in the same cartridge for anyone interested in picking this up.

Parakeetman

I'm really unsure whether I should pre-order this game. It sure looks cool and whatnot but from what they've shown so far (english material) I have no idea if the short experience is meaty enough to really make this something special.

It's currently 32EUR + shipping on Amazon.es and comes with the added bonus of HTOL#NIQ included in the same cartridge for anyone interested in picking this up.

Its not too lengthy but a unique enough experience plus if you never played HTOL#NIQ before Id say its worth picking up.

N° 2048

Can't wait, hopefully Amazon gets this to me on release day. Have it pre-ordered. Excited for the HTOL#NIQ The Firefly Diary it comes with too.

SerTapTap

This game's truly fantastic. I need to do a written review at some point, but just damn. I usually don't like "hide and seek" style horror games but with the childlike perspective and proper design it just works so damn well, and the open world is surprisingly enjoyable.

I'm 5 hours in and haven't gotten 100% of collectables...not sure in what world that's "short" for a $20 horror game. We used to pay $50 for that. The only horror in a 20 hour horror game is that it's 20 god damn hours long.

If you get touched by anything you die instantly and are sent back to a checkpoint. Usually that's a very short distance back, but sometimes it's quite a ways. The lack of any other real penalties to death and the fact that "narrow escapes" are often straight-up impossible makes these segments into more of a cycle of tedium and frustration rather than the tension they were presumably going for.

I only found this to be a problem in one section, and it turns out the problem is just I'm an idiot and wasn't tiptoeing. There are ways around all enemies. If you didn't rage quit Amnesia I'm certain you can handle this game (I DID ragequit amnesia)

I'm 5 hours in and haven't gotten 100% of collectables...not sure in what world that's "short" for a $20 horror game. We used to pay $50 for that. The only horror in a 20 hour horror game is that it's 20 god damn hours long.

It was a full-price title here in Japan, 6,400 yen, just over 60 bucks. Even now it's rare to see it for much less than 3,000 used. At 20 bucks it's an absolute no-brainer, for sure, (is that the US price?) but that's not what anyone was paying for it.

Top Bottom