• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Gameplay Changes in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga 3DS (Gamexplain)

I'm guessing review copy for this went out recently - here's a new Gamexplain video featuring 10 gameplay changes in Superstar Saga's 3DS remake:

10 Gameplay Changes in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga 3DS
There's also 10 minutes of new gameplay footage.

10: There's a brief story synopsis and reminder of what you're doing next accessible from the menu (and presumably, the save/load screen
9: Interactive touchscreen map
8: Fast forward any event or dialogue scenario with R/touchscreen button
7: Switch between overworld Bros. moves using the touchscreen or L/R triggers. Micromanagement of Mario and Luigi's positions is now automated.
6: The X button makes Mario and Luigi jump simultaneously.
5: Battle opening animation varies depending on how a battle begins
4: Emergency Guard from Paper Jam Bros. makes it in to battles
3: Bros. Attack refinements
2: New easy mode available
1: Save anywhere

I don't think a lot of these new changes are particularly groundbreaking, rather just a case of Alphadream applying a few quality of life changes from recent games to Superstar Saga.

It also answers a few questions raised after my hands-on report a few months ago. The three difficulty settings for Bros. attacks are gone, for instance.

I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't mention how the hammers have been changed, which I found to be a major gameplay change. Previously defending too long (holding down the hammer buttons for Mario and/or Luigi) would see the Bros buckle under the weight of the tools. This no longer happens, making an element of battles easier as there's always a reliable timing window for readying your hammer when defending.

maxcriden

Thank you kindly for the summary of changes. I'm planning to try the game again (only ever made it less than halfway) but debating which version. The big positive with the original is that I can play it in casual co-op on the TV by taking turns on Wii U VC.

aett

Still torn on whether or not I should get this. Superstar Saga is, easily, my favorite of the M&L games... but because of that, I've already played through it several times over the last fourteen (seriously?!) years. Maybe I'll wait for a sale sometime down the line.

I really don't like some of the changes. Defending with hammer is going to be way too easy. Also, I liked being able to switch Mario and Luigi's position in the overworld. It made Luigi feel equally as important as Mario.

Still torn on whether or not I should get this. Superstar Saga is, easily, my favorite of the M&L games... but because of that, I've already played through it several times over the last fourteen (seriously?!) years. Maybe I'll wait for a sale sometime down the line.

Superstar Saga isn't my favourite M&L game, but it's definitely up there, and I don't think it's aged enough to warrant spending full price on a remake that doesn't have any major new content.

The GBA version still plays fine, and I have it on my 3DS due to the ambassador scheme, so I'll also be passing unless it eventually gets a big price drop.

TrueBlue

^Can't you switch the brothers? I swear some of the footage shows Luigi running out in front.

EDIT: Actually, ignore me.

Doorman

I really don't like some of the changes. Defending with hammer is going to be way too easy. Also, I liked being able to switch Mario and Luigi's position in the overworld. It made Luigi feel equally as important as Mario.

Superstar Saga isn't my favourite M&L game, but it's definitely up there, and I don't think it's aged enough to warrant spending full price on a remake that doesn't have any major new content.

The GBA version still plays fine, and I have it on my 3DS due to the ambassador scheme, so I'll also be passing unless it eventually gets a big price drop.
I mean...they did add an entirely new RTS-lite campaign that's a first for the series. I get what you mean regarding the main game but I can't say they added nothing.

I've been a little hesitant about buying this myself, at least at launch, due to having enough else to play for now (and with Odyssey on the horizon), but Superstar Saga is my favorite of all the Mario RPGs bar none, so I'm sure it will end up in my library eventually. If you haven't played it before, it's a total treat.

MrBadger

So it's basically the exact same game but with the quality of life improvements from Paper Jam. Fine by me, this is what I expected based on what I played a few months back.

Sounds like a really solid remake/re-release.
Especially if that Goomba/minion campaign is as meaty as they say.
Change #6 sounds really good. Pushing two buttons in with my thumb a lot can get a bit tiring.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have stereoscopic 3D. I liked how the other Mario+Luigi games looked in 3D on the 3DS, so it's a shame they couldn't do it with this one.

Top Bottom