• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

pariah164

Anyone here play Mitra Sphere? It's a bit tricky to navigate, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. The art's cute, the music's good, and it seems pretty generous with gems for the F2P crowd.

chrono01

Anyone here play Mitra Sphere? It's a bit tricky to navigate, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. The art's cute, the music's good, and it seems pretty generous with gems for the F2P crowd.
I learned of this game through Kizuna Ai, haha.

I'd play it if it were in English, it looks fun enough.

pariah164

I learned of this game through Kizuna Ai, haha.

I'd play it if it were in English, it looks fun enough.
Same. And yes, my character is wearing her hair ribbon.

The sad thing is a lot of games like this just don't get an English release, despite the fact they should.

Rixa

The Alchemist Code still not released Globally, only in "a few Countries". I'm beginning to get Hortensia Saga flashbacks, where they keep delaying Global launch until it's eventually shut down. I'd like to give the game a try, I wish they would at least give us an estimate. :/

The english version Monster Hunter Explore did something similar.

I don't think there was any news about it soft launching, just popped up on the Canada store one day and then shutdown a couple weeks later.

On the other hand FF:Brave Exvius (Gumi's another title) was 1½ months in soft launch and country it was available was Sweden (not sure if it was in Singapore too). I started FF:BE 16.05.2016 and worldwide launch was 29.06.2016.

Sölf

I just realized King's Raid officiall launched in Europe ~1 1/2 weeks ago. I am definitly restarting this. Is anyone else playing on the european server? Could we maybe even create a GAF guild this time?

chrono01

Same. And yes, my character is wearing her hair ribbon.

The sad thing is a lot of games like this just don't get an English release, despite the fact they should.
Nice to see another Kizuna Ai fan here (Hai Domo!).

Nice style rocking that ribbon too, I'd definitely be doing the same.

On the other hand FF:Brave Exvius (Gumi's another title) was 1½ months in soft launch and country it was available was Sweden (not sure if it was in Singapore too). I started FF:BE 16.05.2016 and worldwide launch was 29.06.2016.
Wow, I didn't know FFBE was in soft launch for so long (but then, it has been a while).

BTW, speaking of Alchemist Code, apparently it was hacked (but no user information was given out), according to their Facebook. It was hacked, and it's still not even officially launched. Not looking good. I guess better now than later?

ReaperXL7

I did a bit, the closest comparison I can make would be Logres and Unison League the former of which I still play regularly.

Mitts sphere easily has the best art style but sadly I don't think there is any genuine hope of it ever being translated into English. Anything is possible though as I would have said the same thing about Logres and that got global version.

Nice to see another Kizuna Ai fan here (Hai Domo!).

Nice style rocking that ribbon too, I'd definitely be doing the same.

Wow, I didn't know FFBE was in soft launch for so long (but then, it has been a while).

BTW, speaking of Alchemist Code, apparently it was hacked (but no user information was given out), according to their Facebook. It was hacked, and it's still not even officially launched. Not looking good. I guess better now than later?

I suppose it's related to recent gumi hack

Jeffrey

Need more waifu gacha action rpgs for global.

Sao is fun but no autobattle and events are pretty hard core grind.

Bleach is fun.

Thinking of dropping naruto. Upcoming stuff is all pvp focused which is boring. Gacha pvp stuff is a waste of time imo.

Quonny

So the Ragnarok idle game is really bad but I can’t stop playing it.

The music. The sound effects. The UI. The skills. It’s just a skin of another game, but it’s a damn good skin.

jengo

Rune Story for me. How they screwed up the Global release of ONE OF THE BIGGEST JAPANESE GACHA GAMES EVER is beyond me. :(

I would think Monster Strike takes the cake on that one...but yeah, it seems scarily easy for games that make insane money in Japan to be a fart in the wind globally.

chrono01

I would think Monster Strike takes the cake on that one...but yeah, it seems scarily easy for games that make insane money in Japan to be a fart in the wind globally.
Yeah, either Rune Story or Monster Strike. Both were horribly mismanaged and deserved so much better. It's really disappointing.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Current announced Fall slate worth mentioning:
oj2DC6f.jpg

Monster Strike Global had no chance when they got no collabs.

Honkai Impact is getting a SEA release (really worth playing):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U2Tj7uwYzk

Anyone try King's Knight? It's a weird choice for a gacha game.

I'm enjoying it despite sometimes iffy controls. One of the least predatory gacha models out there. There isn't even any stamina! You can just dungeon crawl to your heart's content. (You can however spend in game currency, which you get plenty of, on hourglasses, that temporarily multiply the gold/loot you acquire.)

ReaperXL7

I think my favorite Gacha currently is probably Logres, it has no stamina which is a big plus, they do a variety of neat events and collaborations (they did Attack on Titan, and last week was the fate/extella event) and the co-op is meaningful in many ways so guilds matter more then they do usually in Gacha games.

It's definitely got some issues for sure. If your not pulling during a special banner the pull rates for high quality weapons are abysmal and ranking up some weapons is a real challenge because of how rare Osiris gems but these are issues I can deal with.

It's just fun in general and I like how proper strategy is required during many boss fights. Gilgamesh in the Fate event was a real pain in the ass.

I enjoyed Unison league also prior to Logres releasing globally. I'd be interested in more mobile devs trying this style of game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Why isn't the world paying more attention to King's Knight? :(

That game's so good! And it has no stamina either.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I see no stamina as a pretty big negative. I don't think I'll play another no stamina game. I like knowing that I've done all I can and can put the game down

chrono01

I see no stamina as a pretty big negative. I don't think I'll play another no stamina game. I like knowing that I've done all I can and can put the game down
+1

No stamina usually means more of a grind to do anything (such as SAO:MD). I'd rather getting more worth from my runs, as well as a deterrent to sit there playing for hours, than being able to do whatever I want/whenever I want. Give me a stamina bar that I can increase with my rank, and I'm a happy man.

Kitoro

+1

No stamina usually means more of a grind to do anything (such as SAO:MD). I'd rather getting more worth from my runs, as well as a deterrent to sit there playing for hours, than being able to do whatever I want/whenever I want. Give me a stamina bar that I can increase with my rank, and I'm a happy man.

I feel like this is the kind of logic parents use to justify why they put leashes on their kids at Disneyland. Stamina is not a plus if you've got self control, as much as a child can be taught self-control.

A lot of games with stamina are just as much of a grind, if not moreso, because people will refill stamina to keep grinding, forcing others to waste gems as well to keep up.

There's really no upside to stamina aside from making up for a lack of self control, but even then, it's not even that effective if stamina can be refilled with premium currency.

chrono01

I feel like this is the kind of logic parents use to justify why they put leashes on their kids at Disneyland. Stamina is not a plus if you've got self control, as much as a child can be taught self-control.

A lot of games with stamina are just as much of a grind, if not moreso, because people will refill stamina to keep grinding, forcing others to waste gems as well to keep up.

There's really no upside to stamina aside from making up for a lack of self control, but even then, it's not even that effective if stamina can be refilled with premium currency.
It's not so much the self control as it's the time necessary to complete the in-game events, such as in the case of SAO:MD. I prefer logging in, running the currently on going event as much as the stamina allows, and logging back off. The event is tuned to this, so you don't need to spend hours upon hours of farming the content, to reap the higher tier rewards.

From my experience, in games without stamina, in order to get those rewards, you need to farm the event content A LOT more, since the event is adjusted to the no-limit rule. Not just this, I find the other aspects in games that lack stamina (such as leveling your characters, evolving them, increasing their skill, etc.) to be just as much of a grind since, once again, there's no stamina to worry about.

Granted, my experience in games like this aren't really vast, since I tend to avoid them as much as possible. I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing, just one not well-suited for me.

In games with stamina, I've very rarely needed to use in-game currency to restore my stamina. The times I've had to were mostly a use for convenience, and not needed (such as I wanted to complete whatever goal I was after NOW, and not waiting a few more hours for stamina to restore). I could probably count the number of times I did this on one (maybe two?) hands, most stemming from Treasure Cruise and using Rainbow Gems to farm raid bosses while they were around.

Quonny

The issue isn't self control. The issue is the game is balanced around having unlimited stamina. Events in games like SAO and Logres can take forever to complete, requiring hundreds of runs through the same stage over and over just to get the rewards.

Unlimited stamina is awful. I'm never touching another unlimited stamina game again.

kulapik

Battlejack update since no one seems to care about it anymore: they added an option to buy a second chest opener... For $15 a month. Jesus.

Rixa

Battlejack update since no one seems to care about it anymore: they added an option to buy a second chest opener... For $15 a month. Jesus.

Awful, just awful. The chest thing itself is bad and then you need to pay every month for being able to run 2 chest open timers.

ReaperXL7

I still play it but I'm most likely going to drop it soon, this last update indicates to me that they are going to be putting a focus on finding more ways to get money out of their players instead of adding meaningful reasons to play. In addition to the second chest opener they added the "option" to increase your part cost max for 30 days aswell, and considering party size is very limiting in Battlejack to begin with that's not a great thing in my opinion.

Once digimon links comes out globally I'll most likely be done with Battlejack.

Sölf

The Alchemist Code was released 1 1/2 weeks ago, was that only in specific territory? I was looking for it on the german Playstore and couldn't find it. Only information for "global" was a release in New Zealand and Sweden.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Monster Strike is hitting its 4th Anniv and it's a good time to start, especially for anime.
- Collab with Dengeki for 8 anime ip for event quests (Railgun announced so far)
- Free 6* Monster, same as last year, pick type, pick 5 randomly given
- Free Monster with a pool of 25 of the most popular voted (starts later than above)
- Evangelion Hatcher coming back

chrono01

Sölf;250614920 said:
The Alchemist Code was released 1 1/2 weeks ago, was that only in specific territory? I was looking for it on the german Playstore and couldn't find it. Only information for "global" was a release in New Zealand and Sweden.
Yeah, the won't even reference the NA release date or anything. I just hope this isn't another Hortensia Saga situation where the game is cancelled before a full release even happens. However, apparently FFBE (another Gumi games) was the same (with a staggered Country release list), so this could be another one of those situations.

I keep checking the Facebook page daily, nothing yet. The one positive, maybe they'll have a larger/better gacha when the game does release, meaning we can re-roll for some better characters (since the two 5* base characters currently in the game are either one that's good that you eventually get for free, and another that's basically a 4* posting as a 5*.

Hyunashi

Sölf;250614920 said:

There are ramblings that the 3rd will be the date of full release.

Jeffrey

Feel like casual spenders are discriminated hard in pretty much all games. Step up systems generally require $100s of currency and games feel less generous with free currency to counter.

Brave frontier was the only gacha that I consistently spent cash over the last 4 years. Probably ~$3k. No other games compelled me.

Just let casual spenders be able to obtain the units they want,while have other systems to feed the whales too.

Kitoro

The issue isn't self control. The issue is the game is balanced around having unlimited stamina. Events in games like SAO and Logres can take forever to complete, requiring hundreds of runs through the same stage over and over just to get the rewards.

Unlimited stamina is awful. I'm never touching another unlimited stamina game again.

But most stamina-based games allow for paid currency to refill stamina to spam events. Also, stamina-free gacha games can find balance in events so that it's less of a grind and more about having the skill to get one great run in to be graded off of.

Lastly, many stamina games lean towards invalidating stamina by hosting common 0 stamina events (ala KHUx) or handing out stamina potions like candy (ala FEH), and the reception has been positive.

Rixa

Sölf;250614920 said:

Yeah, the won't even reference the NA release date or anything. I just hope this isn't another Hortensia Saga situation where the game is cancelled before a full release even happens. However, apparently FFBE (another Gumi games) was the same (with a staggered Country release list), so this could be another one of those situations.

I keep checking the Facebook page daily, nothing yet. The one positive, maybe they'll have a larger/better gacha when the game does release, meaning we can re-roll for some better characters (since the two 5* base characters currently in the game are either one that's good that you eventually get for free, and another that's basically a 4* posting as a 5*.

There are ramblings that the 3rd will be the date of full release.

Iam playing semicasually (0 gems used) by login everyday and doing few quests per day. Now at rank 17 and in story chapter 2-1 cleared. Thanks to random 0 costing max leveled 5* units that you can use few times free per day.

Without those high rank randoms, 0 chances to clear those chapters with autoing.
Battles do lag a lot, I use phone that was released spring 2017 so the old phone is not responsible to this, hopefully they can iron the lags in battle before game releases globally.

You get one premium pull for free every 3 days (72h). I managed to pull one 4*/5* unit Lucian from there. Then again I pulled few 3*/3* & 3/4* units too. So in premium gacha there are units whose max is 3* and there are units whose max is 4*.

Outside of those guaranteed steps, gacha seems to be a trap (hello Sherlock, what a surprise).

Starting heroes seem to be have max 5* (they start 2* or something), haven't checked tier list how good they are.

Some pics. Login (+4* tix in the end of 28th days), Battle, Gacha and price of premium currency (there seems to be monthly packet and one cheap 0.90€ packet, not sure if its one time only),

Iam not sure how much gems you can get daily by doing quests. You need 4500 gems to do that stepup 1-3 parts. They say these starting 5* are bad and victims of power creep, so haven't even considered doing them. Granted I don't have enough gems. Curious to see new gacha units when banner changes.

As far as I understand, you use gear / eq you get to raise your units Job levels.
Unit level max is your rank, thus my unit levels are at 17.

If someone wants to toss a friend request, my ID: 1HPDT5DG (I have 0 friends).

chrono01

Iam playing semicasually (0 gems used) by login everyday and doing few quests per day. Now at rank 17 and in story chapter 2-1 cleared. Thanks to random 0 costing max leveled 5* units that you can use few times free per day.

Without those high rank randoms, 0 chances to clear those chapters with autoing.
Battles do lag a lot, I use phone that was released spring 2017 so the old phone is not responsible to this, hopefully they can iron the lags in battle before game releases globally.

You get one premium pull for free every 3 days (72h). I managed to pull one 4*/5* unit Lucian from there. Then again I pulled few 3*/3* & 3/4* units too. So in premium gacha there are units whose max is 3* and there are units whose max is 4*.

Outside of those guaranteed steps, gacha seems to be a trap (hello Sherlock, what a surprise).

Starting heroes seem to be have max 5* (they start 2* or something), haven't checked tier list how good they are.

Some pics. Login (+4* tix in the end of 28th days), Battle, Gacha and price of premium currency (there seems to be monthly packet and one cheap 0.90€ packet, not sure if its one time only),

Iam not sure how much gems you can get daily by doing quests. You need 4500 gems to do that stepup 1-3 parts. They say these starting 5* are bad and victims of power creep, so haven't even considered doing them. Granted I don't have enough gems. Curious to see new gacha units when banner changes.

As far as I understand, you use gear / eq you get to raise your units Job levels.

Thanks for your impressions!

That Alchemist Pack looks to be very affordable. 300 gems right from the start, plus another 100 gems per day for 30 days (3,000 total). That's 3,300 gems for a very low cost, not to mention that skip tickets.

Then again, this IS Gumi. I'm hesitant to spend anything, not until I'm sure this one to around to stay.

Rixa

Thanks for your impressions!

That Alchemist Pack looks to be very affordable. 300 gems right from the start, plus another 100 gems per day for 30 days (3,000 total). That's 3,300 gems for a very low cost, not to mention that skip tickets.

Then again, this IS Gumi. I'm hesitant to spend anything, not until I'm sure this one to around to stay.
I think I may buy the packet, since its not expensive and you can get faster some guaranteed (I think it still is random who you get via stepup) 5*. Thats why I didnt bother rerolling when I started.

There is also challenge system, first part was do 9 different missions (clear 1-10 chapter was one mission). Last week got all 9 done and grabbed one premium tix and pulled 3*/3* unit :p. Now doing (slowly, not aiming to them) next special mission set that is multiple tickets (I think gear multipull tickets).

Still not sure how to use stamina in this game, what to grind for. Prolly need to do some event's and try to get player rank up. Unit Abilities do cost a lot of gold (see pic), I don't have clue how easy it is to get gold.

When I started game, I got Ignots (gold silver etc) and in Anna's Shop converted them for Zeni (gold in this game) I had 800k gold, everything costs a lot. Some pics about Zeni price and if one whales gems to zeni...

Sölf

I think I may buy the packet, since its not expensive and you can get faster some guaranteed (I think it still is random who you get via stepup) 5*. Thats why I didnt bother rerolling when I started.

There is also challenge system, first part was do 9 different missions (clear 1-10 chapter was one mission). Last week got all 9 done and grabbed one premium tix and pulled 3*/3* unit :p. Now doing (slowly, not aiming to them) next special mission set that is multiple tickets (I think gear multipull tickets).

Still not sure how to use stamina in this game, what to grind for. Prolly need to do some event's and try to get player rank up. Unit Abilities do cost a lot of gold (see pic), I don't have clue how easy it is to get gold.

When I started game, I got Ignots (gold silver etc) and in Anna's Shop converted them for Zeni (gold in this game) I had 800k gold, everything costs a lot. Some pics about Zeni price and if one whales gems to zeni...

Thanks for these impressions! :D
Man, the game looks really good. I already see me playing 4 Gachas at the same time again (Kingdom Hearts, Fire Emblem, King's Raid and The Alchemist's Code). But damn, I would like another good tactical RPG, after the others I tested simply being not as good (Fire Emblem being the sole exception).

Joe Molotov

I've been trying to play it, but it seems like the game just hits a brick wall really fast unless you start shelling out money. You can grind for hours for only the most infinitesimal improvements.

jengo

Panipani is....good? I think? I mean, it scratches an itch I forgot I had with farming, and gacha is just random drops you open with XP dropped from killing enemies (well, since the battle system is super simple, I guess it's basically just a timer).

Quonny

Tried Dragon Project.

Seems like a good attempt at Monster Hunter on a phone, but I just don't think it can be done.

Azusa

JP Azur Lane is the latest hot mobage. Released in Japan on September 14th and yesterday celebrated 1 mil downloads.

Top Bottom