• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus releases statement on emulation, acknowledges Persona 5 PC demand

Well, they also release games on 3DS.
3-a fridge magnet and a $5 NDS flashcart to jailbreak in 15 fucking minutes-DS.

That's something I've never heard of (hacking wise) and is extremely strange, but hey.

And I know 3DS is hacked and whatnot, but that's still a "current" console. According to Nintendo anyway. I'm talking about supporting a console that (I don't think) is even in production anymore when piracy is super easy on it but not the current system.

And it's not like their sales are horrible or anything. Which makes me wonder why they care so much again. I get a company not wanting emulation, or whatever, but at this point the games probably sold more than they even expected. Which makes it even more confusing to me that they even had this dumb idea.

daegan

No they aren't. They literally do not have the legal right to go after it.

Big difference between shots on a bleemcast! case and YouTube videos. I think a court may feel the same.

Please change your avatar, it is an unlicensed use of the copyrighted property of Oni Press. It is really distasteful.

Not even remotely the same thing. They obviously have an issue with this game being put out there in a way they don’t like. That’s their right as the creator. I can understand why they would want the version of the game out there visually to be the one where they know how it will look and behave (insofar as anyone does with software.) that’s all I’m saying.

wazoo

I feel like Emulation wouldn't be a big issue if there was some period of time after the death of a console that Emulators could be released/made. But I'm sure there's arguments for that that could be brought up too.

It's a tough "fair for both sides" topic IMO.

The period exists. Something something 75 years.

LeleSocho

Banned
Please let us know what you think.
I think that your job sucks, trying to spin into something neutral or positive the absolute insanity of your Japanese superiors twice in less than a year must be mind blowing. I suggest you to shut up the next time it happens because stuff like this only increases the anger towards your company.

shiyrley

Banned
Big difference between shots on a bleemcast! case and YouTube videos. I think a court may feel the same.

Not even remotely the same thing. They obviously have an issue with this game being put out there in a way they don’t like. That’s their right as the creator. I can understand why they would want the version of the game out there visually to be the one where they know how it will look and behave (insofar as anyone does with software.) that’s all I’m saying.
It's not their right. It just isn't. Emulation is legal therefore emulating Persona 5 is legal. Period. There is no debate and there are no grey areas. It's a proven in court fact.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Urm, given they're doing better than they have in a long time I'm not sure this implies what you intended it to.

Just to explain the expression to you, the sowing is the takedown notice and this blog post, and the reaping is the completely unavoidable tide of shit that's going to ruin some unfortunate employee's week in the time to come?

MUnited83

For you.

A court would actually feel more in favor of this. Shots on a bleemcast! case were shots directly on a package of a commercial emulator.
A youtube video showing improvements on emulation is a even more clear case of fair use than shots on a bleemcast case are.

Plum

Yeah, but Atlus don't want people to play Persona 5 on PC. So releasing it on PC defeats the purpose. You'll notice the DMCA didn't strike a piracy website with Persona 5 illegal copies or a website explaining how to use illegal backups on PS3. Heck, the DMCA excuse was "it shouldn't be played on PC".

With the added explanation I saw that more as "we don't want to play an 'improper' version of Persona 5."

Which is, you know, kinda bullshit seeing as the PS3 version has framepacing problems. It really does seem like a strange aversion to PC.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure no-one would care if ATLUS were going after a site hosting freely available Persona 5 ROMs. It would be a fruitless task on their part, but at least it's not going after the DVD Player manufacturer whilst some guy sells bootlegs on the street outside.

Games are made with money. I can almost guarantee they'd make a profit bringing it to PC.

It's not a question of if they would make money over it. There are so many other variables. Was the code done in a such a way that porting to PC would be easy? (ie: read dead redemption fiasco). Do they have the manpower? Do the original team have time to support a porting team or do they have their hands full on their next project? There's many things to plan and consider.

True they are made from demand and there is demand for it on pc no?

No, they aren't made from demand. There is a reason you haven't seen red dead redemption on pc.

"Please let us know what you think."
Except, they block comments on this article. That's my own image just now from trying.

"Please let us know what you think."
I think you knowingly falsely tried to use the DMCA to take down legal elements related to an open source project and their Patreon.

I think you are despicable. That you claim that you actually contemplated and "settled upon this action" and provided the text following it reinforces that notion. And... short of other venues I guess you can go read the initial NeoGAF thread on the initial news if you are left wanting for even more thoughts.

They probably get incentives from Sony that they're happy not to squander.

What incentives ?
No publishing, no translations. And they're not doing more when it comes to advertising. It's just plain and dumb bad decision.
And even if there were, I doubt these incentives would be worth the 500k copies they could sell at full price. Which would be like 15 to 20 millions dollars of revenue ?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Atlus crushing the dreams of all those waiting to pirate the PS3 version of P5...

Damn that statement is embarrassing.

inner-G

Banned
What do you mean, their games are selling better and better as time goes on.
Idk, their PS3 output was severely lacking, and while P5 is cool, they seem to mishandle their messaging and community interaction at almost every opportunity.

On PS2 they put out a slew of amazing games nonstop. Nocturne, DDS 1&2, Raidou, P3, FES and 4...

Kalor

I'm sure this was from Atlus Japan based on the statement but it's crazy that it's happened in the first place. It's not often that you have someone try to go after emulation, especially the people developing it who usually have the cover of saying that they aren't promoting piracy.

Deft Beck

In Japan there is a PSP port of Devil Summoner that is more or less the game running in an emulator and very poorly at that.

The iOS port of SMT2 is an emulation and translation of the GBA port.

What is the reason behind Persona being ps only? If there is demand on PC why not make money?

Because Atlus is afraid of PC for no real reason. That, or they don't want to take away resources from the twelve thousand spinoffs they are making to make a port.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Idk, their PS3 output was severely lacking, and while P5 is cool but they seem to mishandle their messaging and community interaction at almost every opportunity.

On PS2 they put out a slew of amazing games nonstop. Nocturne, DDS 1&2, Raidou, P3, FES and 4...

Are forgetting something?
81KoJIz7HyL._SL1151_.jpg

Vamphuntr

Did they ever do a DMCA takedown for Gemini's Innocent Sin PSX translation patch? Or DMCA takedowns for Gideon Zhi's (Aeon Genesis) patches for SMT1, SMT2, SMT If and the Majin Tensei games.No? They sure seem to like emulation when fans translate the games they didn't care to bring over but still help make the megaten brand known.

Both arguments are true for every game ever made on every system ever made, so unless there's a part 2 blog post that explains why unique among the tens of thousands of commercially published games ever made, only Persona 5 needs its own rules. Only Persona 5 needs takedown notices for Twitch. Only Atlus games need to use the region locking functionality. Only Persona 5 needs emulator takedowns.

The best part about this is that Atlus USA benefitted immensely from all the things they tried to stop. Persona 5 Twitch takedown notices? One of the things that made the series gain such a huge following was long-play streams of the earlier games in the series. Region locking? The whole reason Atlus USA had one of their biggest hits ever, Demon's Souls, was because of high import demand for the game. Emulator takedowns? The culture of fan translations is why anyone has ever heard of half of Atlus' shit.

Absolutely fucking embarrassing. You reap what you sow, dumbasses.

Well said. This sums it all up. Atlus is just punishing people for trying to help expose and even trying to experience their games because Atlus is living in olden times.

gngf123

LOL.

Who was that company that was selling internet roms on an online store? (think from Torrent sites) Was it SNK and the roms being sold to users?

Nintendo possibly did this on their virtual console. People found old iNES headers in the VC download.

Foffy

Banned
Atlus seems like hot garbage with anything that involves a single thing beyond their games as experience.

This statement keeps that stream of activity unchanged. "Worried about framerate drops" is such a load of shit, as the PS3 version actually has framerate drops and screen tearing on consoles. Fuck off with the lies and empty words. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see right through it.

? Sony doesn't fund the games, so your point makes no sense whatsoever. They'd get more money with a PC port, not less.

It's not as simple as money generated > money invested = project greenlighted. There's many other factors in play than that, I've enumerated a couple of example earlier in this page.

Both arguments are true for every game ever made on every system ever made, so unless there's a part 2 blog post that explains why unique among the tens of thousands of commercially published games ever made, only Persona 5 needs its own rules. Only Persona 5 needs takedown notices for Twitch. Only Atlus games need to use the region locking functionality. Only Persona 5 needs emulator takedowns.

The best part about this is that Atlus USA benefitted immensely from all the things they tried to stop. Persona 5 Twitch takedown notices? One of the things that made the series gain such a huge following was long-play streams of the earlier games in the series. Region locking? The whole reason Atlus USA had one of their biggest hits ever, Demon's Souls, was because of high import demand for the game. Emulator takedowns? The culture of fan translations is why anyone has ever heard of half of Atlus' shit.

Absolutely fucking embarrassing. You reap what you sow, dumbasses.

Yup, couldn't say it myself better.

What incentives ?
No publishing, no translations. And they're not doing more when it comes to advertising. It's just plain and dumb bad decision.
And even if there were, I doubt these incentives would be worth the 500k copies they could sell at full price. Which would be like 15 to 20 millions dollars of revenue ?

I mean, they're not making it exclusive to Sony's platforms out of the kindness of their hearts or "stupidity." Why wouldn't it get an extra marketing push from Sony given that it's exclusive to their platforms? One example is the Sony-owned Aniplex distributing and marketing the Persona anime. It's a brand that isn't restricted to video game releases. All of that additional promotion has helped grow the series to new heights.

Deft Beck

I mean, they're not making it exclusive to Sony's platforms out of the kindness of their hearts or "stupidity." Why wouldn't it get an extra marketing push from Sony given that it's exclusive to their platforms? One example is the Sony-owned Aniplex distributing and marketing the Persona anime.

That's a completely separate branch of Sony, unrelated to their interactive entertainment subsidiary.

Top Bottom