• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 Light Bars - turn them off, please

Hilti92

Electrical tape leaves some nasty fucking residue.

Devs, turn it off. You can do this in code.

Anybody who can't see this reflecting in a glass plasma screen (like my Pioneer Kuro) is fucking blind.
I don't hold my controller at nipple level like you but I guess I am blind. Get your TV off the floor and problem solved.

USC-fan

Banned
I hated it at first but last weekend i was playing bf4 until 4am and got up to get something to drink and used it to walk to the kitchen without turning on a light. Pretty kick ass....

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Only think I dislike about the lightbar is I think it contributes to the rather poor battery life on the controller coming from the PS3 one, other than that, its a pretty nifty flashlight.

Yes, end this lightbar charade Sony. Didn't think it would bother me, but now it drives me crazy. Give us the option to turn it off please.

xn0

I did find the Xbox 360 controller light annoying too actually, especially when it was low on batteries and flashing. But the DS4 is a whole different type of bad. Is the Xbox one's light worse than the 360's?

Edit:
I ended up getting 3 DS4's for my PS4 and I find the light really annoying. Especially since I do not have the camera nor do I ever play coop or need a second player. I'm also a bit annoyed at the battery life of the DS4. Therefore I'm going to stage an experiment with my 3 DS4's

Experiment:
See how much power could be saved by powering off the light on the DS4.

I am going to fully charge 3 DS4's.
I am going to disable the light on 1 DS4 by desoldering it from the board.
I am then going to turn them all on and play some games with a 4th controller plugged into USB.
The idea is to use the 2 unmodified (light emitting) DS4's as the control and measure if disabling the light decreases battery utilization and if so by how much.

I would much rather have increased battery life than an annoying light I cannot use, and hopefully this test will prove I'm not alone.

Make it a thread, I'm curious. Though Tbh I don't actually think it'll make much difference, they're led.

So the test is going to go like this... I have taken apart one of my DS4 controllers and realized that I cannot desolder the LEDs without breaking the board (ie heat gun did not work and I'm fond of my DS4 even with the annoying light). There is a simple ribbon cable (circled below) that joins the microUSB port and the LEDs to the main board, and if I remove this cable the controller still works and functions normally. I have both controllers charging currently. I am going to wait until they are both fully charged then I am going to turn both of them on and see which one runs out of batteries first. I won't be touching the controllers they will just be on all night and I'm guessing the one with the LEDs attached will drain faster, how much faster is the real question.

4kHxaSS.jpg

YCShEe7.jpg

I'll report back my findings and maybe a non junior member could start a thread on it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
In a week of pretty heavy use I actually forgot about the thing until this thread.

Yeah people really need to find something real to complain about.

Like currently no way to turn the controller of while watching a movie. You could theoretically then use CEC except for some reason CEC doesn't work with Netflix or Hulu.

xn0

In a week of pretty heavy use I actually forgot about the thing until this thread.

Yeah people really need to find something real to complain about.

Like currently no way to turn the controller of while watching a movie. You could theoretically then use CEC except for some reason CEC doesn't work with Netflix or Hulu.

I beat CoD:G last night and kept seeing the reflection from 10ft away in my tv, it was honestly distracting. I have a brand new Sony KDL-55W900A but it has a glossy screen and the controller LED reflection is visible even when the screen is bright. I don't have the camera, and for games that use the light like KZ:SF I find the blinking and changing colors based on health distracting on top of the reflection in the glossy screen. Not having the camera, finding the light distracting, coupled with the fact that the 6 LED's probably drain the batteries faster is a problem for me.

It's a dumb thing to have that serves no real purpose. In fact I think it's because of the light bar that the system is limited to only 4 controllers as well as having poor battery life. I just don't understand how they make these decisions without focus testing them.

Roland1979

Why would anyone want to permanently cover it up? I can see why you'd do something as a temp fix...

You can leave a very tiny stroke. And what's tape gonna do besides leave residue if you gonna leave it on all the time. Why temporary? I will never used it.
And i bet i looks way better then a taped up controller. But a system option would be best of course.

CuznLarry

Banned
Don't notice mine at all, and see no reason for it to be off or on, but oh well.

Playing KZSF, picked up an audio clip, my light turned green and stayed green even after the clip stopped..

xn0

Don't notice mine at all, and see no reason for it to be off or on, but oh well.

Playing KZSF, picked up an audio clip, my light turned green and stayed green even after the clip stopped..

Yea it doesn't bother some people, but for anyone with a glossy HDTV that plays directly in front of it, I see no way it couldn't be an issue. I keep getting flashes of it from 10 and 15 feet away when playing games. Loving the PS4, but the light is annoying and unnecessary. I'm eager to see how much battery life the LED's eat up in my experiment.

alatif113

Won't do shit for the poor battery life. And you'll eventually have marker ink on your fingers.

It's a dumb thing to have that serves no real purpose. In fact I think it's because of the light bar that the system is limited to only 4 controllers as well as having poor battery life. I just don't understand how they make these decisions without focus testing them.

Do people really know how much LED's consume battery? Little to nothing to be honest. Its not the LED's. I dont know why "battery life" is being used in this argument. Even if they were turned off, the increase in battery life would be miniscule at most.

xn0

Do people really know how much LED's consume battery? Little to nothing to be honest. Its not the LED's. I dont know why "battery life" is being used in this argument. Even if they were turned off, the increase in battery life would be miniscule at most.

So what I discovered when taking apart my DS4 is that these are some serious LED's in this controller. The LED's are actually so bright they sit behind a defuser and 2 shields (with 1 of those shields being completely opaque) the 4 LED's in the 360 controller are less bright by a significant amount. There appear to be 6 extremely bright LEDs inside of the array, and my experience with both LED light bars on ATV's and LED strobes on guns I can definitely say LED's do consume a measurable amount of power. If I had to guess what is eating up batteries in the DS4 it would be Rumble motors<LEDs<Buttons+analog.

GUYS....

GUYS......

C'MON...

If you're worrying about if the controller is sucking up battery power while its just laying around.... See the settings icon on the PS4 OS? Yeah that icon. yeah go in settings, then go in power save settings and pick a fucking amount of time you want your controller to automatically turn off on its own...How easy was that?

Jesus... all this bickering over the light bar eating up the battery.

xn0

GUYS....

GUYS......

C'MON...

If you're worrying about if the controller is sucking up battery power while its just laying around.... See the settings icon on the PS4 OS? Yeah that icon. yeah go in settings, then go in power save settings and pick a fucking[ amount of time you want your controller to automatically turn off on its own...How easy was that?

Jesus... all this bickering over the light bar eating up the battery.

LED's eating up the battery is just the cherry on top in addition to the light actually being annoying and should be configurable. I love how a number of people are joining this thread with great input like "doesn't bother me, whine less". What is the harm of Sony adding an option to turn the light off?

Turn all the lights on in your room and you won't notice it.
Most of my living room lights are currently on while I'm watching MNF and I can clearly see the reflection of my DS4 light in the TV.

I read every page in this thread, funny enough I cannot see any more simpler, quicker and effective solution than a thick black electric tape, it'll (the black will) blend in right with the controller, wont even be (much) of an eye sore, probably $2 at the hardware store, bam! done!

LED's eating up the battery is just the cherry on top in addition to the light actually being annoying and should be configurable. I love how a number of people are joining this thread with great input like "doesn't bother me, whine less". What is the harm of Sony adding an option to turn the light off?

Most of my living room lights are currently on while I'm watching MNF and I can clearly see the reflection of my DS4 light in the TV.

LOL so turn on your room's lamp or light.. then the LED light will be minimized since the room light will be stronger than the LED light.

For each nickel for the times I hear about PS4 complaints that is minor and can be easily resolved or is a nonissue...I'd be a millionaire by now.

vivftp

My conspiracy theory on why Sony has the LED bars on the PS4 controllers... it's not entirely about the PS4 camera. My theory is that Sony built a controller so that if you're ever watching a movie or TV show where they're playing video games, you'll know immediately that it's a PS4 based on that big LED on the end which the movie/TV camera would normally be looking at.

For example, I can easily picture an episode of The Big Bang Theory where they're doing a video game session. How do we know what system they're playing right away? Those LEDs on the controller will tell us!

And that is my masterful theory partially explaining why those LEDs exist :)

Alvarez

Banned
I feel that this complaint is justified. I have autism (severe enough that the state considers me disabled) and these kinds of lights bother the fuck out of me to the point where I have covered all of the LEDs in my house with electrical tape.

There should be an option to turn it off.

Oppo

I keep telling them but people don't read.

It's probably like 0.002% of the draw, seriously. It's a fucking light emitting diode.

It's clearly the new BT audio stack that means more power draw, to my mind. But w/e. LIGHTS.

xn0

I feel that this complaint is justified. I have autism (severe enough that the state considers me disabled) and these kinds of lights bother the fuck out of me to the point where I have covered all of the LEDs in my house with electrical tape.

There should be an option to turn it off.

Yea when you have a number of people covering up the light with electrical tape and DIY instructions on how to plastidip the DS4 to hide the light there needs to be an option.

Electrical tape leaves some nasty fucking residue.

This is not true, if it was some heavy duty duck tape, maybe.

I use (good quality) black electrical tape on my car's dash all the time, and I have removed it numerous times with little to no residue, and with whatever is left behind; it is easily removed with some rubbing alcohol or a touch of common household cleaning product such as Windex etc.

I keep telling them but people don't read.

It's probably like 0.002% of the draw, seriously. It's a fucking light emitting diode.

It's clearly the new BT audio stack that means more power draw, to my mind. But w/e. LIGHTS.

Exactly and there's a reason why there's a power save settings right there on the PS4 OS. USE IT.

xn0

LOL so turn on your room's lamp or light.. then the LED light will be minimized since the room light will be stronger than the LED light.

For each nickel for the times I hear about PS4 complaints that is minor and can be easily resolved or is a nonissue...I'd be a millionaire by now.

I have 12 lights currently on in my living room with one of them directly behind the TV for that exact reason. I can still see it shining all over Colin Kaepernick's dumb face.

alatif113

So what I discovered when taking apart my DS4 is that these are some serious LED's in this controller. The LED's are actually so bright they sit behind a defuser and 2 shields (with 1 of those shields being completely opaque) the 4 LED's in the 360 controller are less bright by a significant amount. There appear to be 6 extremely bright LEDs inside of the array, and my experience with both LED light bars on ATV's and LED strobes on guns I can definitely say LED's do consume a measurable amount of power. If I had to guess what is eating up batteries in the DS4 it would be Rumble motors<LEDs<Buttons+analog.

I guess we just have to wait for this to know if theres a battery issue at all....The important factor isnt which runs out first but by how much.

So the test is going to go like this... I have taken apart one of my DS4 controllers and realized that I cannot desolder the LEDs without breaking the board (ie heat gun did not work and I'm fond of my DS4 even with the annoying light). There is a simple ribbon cable (circled below) that joins the microUSB port and the LEDs to the main board, and if I remove this cable the controller still works and functions normally. I have both controllers charging currently. I am going to wait until they are both fully charged then I am going to turn both of them on and see which one runs out of batteries first. I won't be touching the controllers they will just be on all night and I'm guessing the one with the LEDs attached will drain faster, how much faster is the real question.

I'll report back my findings and maybe a non junior member could start a thread on it.

I have 12 lights currently on in my living room with one of them directly behind the TV for that exact reason. I can still see it shining all over Colin Kaepernick's dumb face.

Then you're holding it wrong. Either that or you must really have your lights set on dim.

But seriously 12? What, are you a photographer?

Zero315

Banned
Yea it doesn't bother some people, but for anyone with a glossy HDTV that plays directly in front of it, I see no way it couldn't be an issue. I keep getting flashes of it from 10 and 15 feet away when playing games. Loving the PS4, but the light is annoying and unnecessary.

51 inch plasma screen and I sit about 10 feet away from it, the light doesn't bother me one bit. I notice a reflection every once in a while, usually during an all black screen or a cutscene, but once I get into the game I don't notice it at all.

xn0

51 inch plasma screen and I sit about 10 feet away from it, the light doesn't bother me one bit. I notice a reflection every once in a while, usually during an all black screen or a cutscene, but once I get into the game I don't notice it at all.
Thats my problem I forget its there, get immersed into the game, then see it, and cannot not notice it. Completely breaks immersion for me. I'm on a 55" LCD, but I can even see it on my 10' theater screen when playing on a projected image, its insane and serves absolutely no purpose.

Then you're holding it wrong. Either that or you must really have your lights set on dim.

But seriously 12? What, are you a photographer?

Very large living room.

Thats my problem I forget its there, get immersed into the game, then see it, and cannot not notice it. Completely breaks immersion for me. I'm on a 55" LCD, but I can even see it on my 10' theater screen when playing on a projected image, its insane and serves absolutely no purpose.

Very large living room.

I bet you live in a mansion.

Nope, love mine.
People must live in some dark dank caves for the glow to be that glaringly horrible to you.
I am sure some third party options will come along..
Some of the comments in here are just really over the top.

Really? You "love" it?

Talk about over the top.

Symbiotx

I'm always fascinated by the people in these threads arguing against an option.

"I'd like the option to turn this light off."

"DOESN'T BOTHER ME LOL!!!"

Right, but it clearly bothers other people, but when it's an option, you both win!

It's like in those tech support threads where people say, "Hey my XBox One makes a weird noise after an hour or so, anybody know what it is?" And then you get ten posts of "Mine's working fine." How do they possibly think that's helping?

I think that's a good point really. It doesn't bother me, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be an option for those that are bothered. Thanks

xn0

I bet you live in a mansion.

These are 2 pictures I just took. The thing on Mike Shanahan's right shoulder is the DS4 light from 16 feet away in a very well lit room during a bright TV scene on a Sony KDL-55W900A.

okSXz5z.jpg

dzJ8Trb.jpg

I think that's a good point really. It doesn't bother me, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be an option for those that are bothered. Thanks
Thank you.

I've got a mirror finish on my plasma TV, and my room isn't large. So the DS4 got taped up. I don't even remember that there is a light anymore, until of course seeing this thread.

The light is a neat idea, but it's too bright, and doesn't work in my space so I've opted to cover it. Love the controller though, absolutely the most comfortable pad I've held in my hands.

These are 2 pictures I just took. The thing on Mike Shanahan's right shoulder is the DS4 light from 16 feet away in a very well lit room during a bright TV scene on a Sony KDL-55W900A.

okSXz5z.jpg

dzJ8Trb.jpg

Thank you.

I see a VERY SMALL dot on his shoulder... It doesn't bother me. You must have OCD, I guess.

xn0

Top Bottom