• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak & Daxter The Precursor Legacy PS4 vs PS3 Graphics Comparison

Unknown?

So I got the first Jak for PS4 and compared it to the PS3 collection and there isn't a whole lot of difference. The PS4 is slightly more jagged but has sharper textures than the HD collection. I presume they'll all be available for purchase once the store updates. Someone else posted a comparison video for the two. One thing's for sure it's MUCH better than playing it on a PS2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa4mKGw10Ng

Thanks for sharing some info about this, it's been a really low-key release. I'd love to play it again with better visuals.

BigEmil

There's some visuals and effects messed up and missing in PS3 remaster like the stars and green flare gone as in your video and colours not quite the same, details lost and much more

Here's another comparison of PS4PS2 version vs PS3 remaster:

https://youtu.be/52URRpoyZ0Q

Here's another comparison of PS4PS2 version vs PS3 remaster:

https://youtu.be/52URRpoyZ0Q

I can't understand why these comparison videos don't actually feature any gameplay. I realize the textures are a bit better featured in cutscenes but I'd like to see the overall impact on the gameplay image.

Anyways, it seems like it's actually got some advantages over the PS3 remaster. Despite the fact that this will be the fourth system I play this game on, im more excited for it than the game it's a preorder bonus for lol

Neith

Banned
Why can we not get image quality in this emulator? Not even FXAA for the love of god? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Taker34

Banned
Even your "edited" title is bad. I'm sorry to nitpick but how the hell is anyone supposed to know what your thread is about? Do/did you write headlines for essays in school like that? "Letters Paper"

Why does Sony not even try to advertise this? I didn't even know this was coming out.

I already own the PS3 collection so I'm not buying this anytime soon but I'll probably get it at some point down the line. A decent, quality platformer.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Got the game for free with Uncharted, never played this series, is this game still good enough today?

YES! It is an awesome platformer with a lot of collection aspects, but hot damn was it a technical marvel on PS2.

Ash735

The PS3 ports were not the best, they were good/basic, but missed out on some shader effects and particle effects that the original PS2 version had. The texture work in these games was always pretty damn good asset wise, so naturally rendering at a higher resolution allows them to shine even more.

Really the PS4 emulations should be the best version of these games to play in that sense since the only major benefit of the "HD Collection" was it being 1280x720. On PS4 emulation, it retains the trophies added, renders at a higher resolution AND keeps the original particle effects and shader effects from the PS2.

SkylineRKR

The HD collection played like shit, but I haven't played the original. Does it control better in regards to jumps etc?

One of these days this thread will be legit and a new Jak game will be in development. Until that day, thanks for expertly raising and dashing my hopes OP. Good show xD

J-Skee

Am I the only one that didn't get Jak & Daxter when I was supposed to for pre-ordering the new Uncharted game? May it have something to do with the fact that I purchased that Uncharted 4 season pass before they delisted it?

Am I the only one that didn't get Jak & Daxter when I was supposed to for pre-ordering the new Uncharted game? May it have something to do with the fact that I purchased that Uncharted 4 season pass before they delisted it?

From what I can tell you only get Jak & Daxter if you pre-ordered the stand alone version of lost legacy.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just noticed the PS4 version is now up on the NA storefront and is available for $15.
It is not free to download as a U4 Season Pass owner(and for pre-ordering LL).

Hopefully they are just working out some kinks on PSN to honor their incentive, but Sony has some explaining to do on this one.

The HD collection played like shit, but I haven't played the original. Does it control better in regards to jumps etc?

For sure, they managed to have this emulator change gameplay mechanics.

In reality though, J&D is widely praised for its excellent platforming physics and feel. So feel free to take your absurd hyperbolic posts to the IGN boards. You're embarrassing yourself.

You can toggle to play in 4:3 on this version unlike the PS3, which forced you into the trilogies zoomed in and cropped widescreen.

This one should be true widescreen too, no?

You can toggle to play in 4:3 on this version unlike the PS3, which forced you into the trilogies zoomed in and cropped widescreen.

xxracerxx

Just noticed the PS4 version is now up on the NA storefront and is available for $15.
It is not free to download as a U4 Season Pass owner(and for pre-ordering LL).

Hopefully they are just working out some kinks on PSN to honor their incentive, but Sony has some explaining to do on this one.

What? If you had the season pass for UC4, you do not get J&D. If you pre-ordered the stand alone UC:LL then you get J&D.

*If you picked up the Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Digital Deluxe Edition, Explorer's Pack, or the Triple Pack, you'll get Uncharted: The Lost Legacy as a digital download at launch. Owners of these products are not eligible for any pre-order bonuses.

Unknown?

I can't understand why these comparison videos don't actually feature any gameplay. I realize the textures are a bit better featured in cutscenes but I'd like to see the overall impact on the gameplay image.

Anyways, it seems like it's actually got some advantages over the PS3 remaster. Despite the fact that this will be the fourth system I play this game on, im more excited for it than the game it's a preorder bonus for lol

The cutscenes are the same graphics as gameplay, they aren't prerecorded so what you see in that is how it'll look in gameplay.

Even your "edited" title is bad. I'm sorry to nitpick but how the hell is anyone supposed to know what your thread is about? Do/did you write headlines for essays in school like that? "Letters Paper"
I underestimated how many people knew about this. Figured here of all places a good majority would have known and to anyone who does know it's pretty obvious what it's about. The edited title is exactly what this title is Jak and Daxter via PS2 on PS4.

What? If you had the season pass for UC4, you do not get J&D. If you pre-ordered the stand alone UC:LL then you get J&D.

I got it from the Explore pass / triple pack / whatever it was called. Just check toe store for a Lost Legacy pre order pack and it should be free if you had the Uncharted DLC pass. Comes with Jak + a theme

(In the EU BTW)

The cutscenes are the same graphics as gameplay, they aren't prerecorded so what you see in that is how it'll look in gameplay.

Totally, I just want to actually see the differences in gameplay. Anyways, I've got it regardless, just can't play it for the next few days so curious.

I underestimated how many people knew about this. Figured here of all places a good majority would have known and to anyone who does know it's pretty obvious what it's about. The edited title is exactly what this title is Jak and Daxter via PS2 on PS4.

It doesn't show up on the main board if you edit the title though, just PM a mod and they should be able to change it for you.

There were multiple SP owners claiming in other threads that Sony had changed their minds on this, and that they were now able to DL it. Can't confirm myself.

Love this game. I've 100%ed the first third of the game so far today. As has been noted - it retains all the visual effects that were missing from the PS3 version.

It does have less options to change control settings as it's the original version though. So for me when I go into the first person targetting view mode - left and right are the wrong way around for me. As a superior inverted Y axis user - at least up and down are fine. I couldn't see anyway to change this in game. This is a minor issue so far and as far as I can remember there isn't any sections where this view requires fast muscle reflexes if you momentarily forget which way round the controls are.

I will just confirm - left and right camera controls whilst controlling Jak in third person (IE normally) are the accepted way around and the game plays great.

I don't really like the 16:9 implementation in this game though. It just cuts off the top and bottom of the screen so it looks a bit zoomed in. This is how worked in the PS2 original, I assume without checking. I changed it to 4:3 and I just found it more pleasing on the eye and more playable. I am an old fart though, who played in 4:3 for many years. This maybe less acceptable to those who still have more years ahead of them than behind them!

Framerate is good and seems to stick mostly to 60 FPS. Pretty sure I'm seeing a few minor drops every now and again, which didn't affect playability. Maybe these were in the PS2 original? I'm not Digital Foundry of course - so hopefully someone can test it properly.

Overall - this game is as good as it ever was and still the best Jak game IMHO. Will there ever be a day when Naughty Dog turn their incredible tech towards the Jak franchise? I can only dream.

The most important question: is there FINALLY an option for subtitles???
Nope - this is the PS2 version remember.

Brandon F

I swore that the Lost Legacy pre-order store page listed that Season Pass owners, Explorer's pack, etc... got Jak free as well. Unless I did miss something in the fine print? Where did you quote that text from? Got a link?

xxracerxx

I swore that the Lost Legacy pre-order store page listed that Season Pass owners, Explorer's pack, etc... got Jak free as well. Unless I did miss something in the fine print? Where did you quote that text from? Got a link?

My original quote is from the OP on GAF but here is an official link:

https://www.unchartedthegame.com/en-us/faqs/

"If I own the Uncharted 4 Digital Deluxe Edition, Triple Pack, or Explorer's Pack, will I receive Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy for PS4?

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy for PS4 is only available to those who pre-order Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. It is not available to Digital Deluxe, Triple Pack, or Explorer's Pack owners."

SkylineRKR

For sure, they managed to have this emulator change gameplay mechanics.

In reality though, J&D is widely praised for its excellent platforming physics and feel. So feel free to take your absurd hyperbolic posts to the IGN boards. You're embarrassing yourself.

So the HD collection controls were a perfect representation of the Ps2 version?

I expected a lot from Jak 1 as it was considered a classic, but I found it tedious to play on Ps3. Sorry that my experience didn't match yours.

Brandon F

My original quote is from the OP on GAF but here is an official link:

https://www.unchartedthegame.com/en-us/faqs/

"If I own the Uncharted 4 Digital Deluxe Edition, Triple Pack, or Explorer’s Pack, will I receive Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy for PS4?

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy for PS4 is only available to those who pre-order Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. It is not available to Digital Deluxe, Triple Pack, or Explorer’s Pack owners."

Well shit.

kc44135

Hey, did anyone pick this up from Best Buy? You're supposed to get Jak free for pre-ordering right? I picked up my pre-ordered copy today, but there's no code for His included in the game case, or on the receipt? What gives? Did anybody get Jak after pre-existing the game at Best Buy?

xxracerxx

Hey, did anyone pick this up from Best Buy? You're supposed to get Jak free for pre-ordering right? I picked up my pre-ordered copy today, but there's no code for His included in the game case, or on the receipt? What gives? Did anybody get Jak after pre-existing the game at Best Buy?

Call Best Buy?

Top Bottom