• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Fucking Rogue quest. I just beat a guy with it with an aggro Secret Mage, he had four 5/5 minions on the board, I had 20 health and no minions but ice block. He had 8 health and luckily I had a pyro blast as my last card in hand and hit him in the face. That felt really good.

But fuck that quest. Quests are supposed to be about risk/reward but there is very little risk for a huge reward. It's so easy to get and once they get the quest it's generally game over unless you have an aggro deck which I generally don't like playing.

More than half my opponents in ladder have been quest Rogues. Fuck this shit.

sibarraz

Banned
well I lost a couple games in a row and overreacted a little, but that is what hearthstone is about.

I have also run into a beast druid without quest that I don´t know what it is.

Is zoo druid, is better than what I expected, even menagerie warden could be used

_DrMario_

first ungoro tournament is happening right now https://www.twitch.tv/lifecoach1981

Clicks on link

Pirate Warrior vs Jade Druid.

Divi9yo.png

Fucking Rogue quest. I just beat a guy with it with an aggro Secret Mage, he had four 5/5 minions on the board, I had 20 health and no minions but ice block. He had 8 health and luckily I had a pyro blast as my last card in hand and hit him in the face. That felt really good.

But fuck that quest. Quests are supposed to be about risk/reward but there is very little risk for a huge reward. It's so easy to get and once they get the quest it's generally game over unless you have an aggro deck which I generally don't like playing.

More than half my opponents in ladder have been quest Rogues. Fuck this shit.
There's a ton of risk actually. You're completely giving up the early game in a class with no way of recovering health.

Zemm

There's a ton of risk actually. You're completely giving up the early game in a class with no way of recovering health.

sap, evis, backstab, dagger, pandas, patches, the 1 drops that aren't getting bounced back, that 2/3 that bounces back all end up on the board, even a moroes is a pain in the ass early game and completely broken once the quest is done. Quest rogue doesn't have a strong early game but it's not weak either, and on turn 5-6 it's pretty much game over unless you can rush them down from there which is a lot harder than it may seem.

sibarraz

Banned
sap, evis, backstab, dagger, pandas, patches, the 1 drops that aren't getting bounced back, that 2/3 that bounces back all end up on the board, even a moroes is a pain in the ass early game and completely broken once the quest is done. Quest rogue doesn't have a strong early game but it's not weak either, and on turn 5-6 it's pretty much game over unless you can rush them down from there which is a lot harder than it may seem.

Is still a problem for them, this rogue quest played the reward on turn 5 with 2 minions on board plus a boar and he still lost

9b2c9de3f10e444083ba61a6011eb20c.png

Parshias7

I had one of those typical Rank 20 matches last night, but I think my opponent might have misheard something about the new set. You see, he was playing Taunt Warlock.

Just one of the usual kind of games you see if you're a lazy player who only gets to Rank 20 at the very end of the month. Guy whose deck is nothing but taunt minions. Didn't get to see my old buddy Lord of the Arena but I did unironically use Gorehowl to kill a Mogushan Warden.

Taunt is cheat? Whole deck is taunt = Whole deck is CHEAT!

Grief.exe

I had one of those typical Rank 20 matches last night, but I think my opponent might have misheard something about the new set. You see, he was playing Taunt Warlock.

Just one of the usual kind of games you see if you're a lazy player who only gets to Rank 20 at the very end of the month. Guy whose deck is nothing but taunt minions. Didn't get to see my old buddy Lord of the Arena but I did unironically use Gorehowl to kill a Mogushan Warden.

Taunt is cheat? Whole deck is taunt = Whole deck is CHEAT!

Probably a brand new player trying to get his feet wet, especially if he's running warden.

DSmalls84

Since 4/5 of my ladder matches are Quest Rogue, is there a deck that beats it reliably? I would prefer to play Warlock or Hunter decks.

Ladekabel

Man, my last few arena runs went and go terrible. Almost no early game in my last four drafts or so and the only aoe I got was Felfire Potion and draw it once.

It's not unbeatable, it's just not balanced. There are specific counters but if you don't like running aggro decks you are generally SOL.

They need to make it at least 5x instead of 4x to trigger the quest. Or give mid-late curve decks more options to counter their quest.

ZeroX03

Banned
Lost with Exodia Mage because the last card in my deck was Apprentice and I got pinged with fatigue the next turn. Whoops.

patchday

wow finally up to rank 15. lost so many stars experimenting (plus waiting til expansion launched to play ladder hardcore). luckily this Sherazin miracle rogue deck put in work (14-4).

now to get to next rank floor... but first will goof off with some elemental shaman deck. might tryout elemental mage next

Hope once meta settles will continue to have such a huge variety of decks to play. feels lovely :)

Parshias7

Probably a brand new player trying to get his feet wet, especially if he's running warden.

Oh he was definitely new, he was also running that Tauren taunt guy with Enrage. It is just kind of interesting to me that the "all taunts" deck is so common among new players. Maybe Blizzard decided to make a dedicated Taunt deck in Warrior to try and appeal to that crowd? Rank 20 was actually the highest I've ever seen one of those decks. Usually by that point a new player has figured out that Shieldbearer and Mogushan Warden are super bad and that just sitting back with crappy Taunts isn't going to win you the game.

patchday

What about a murloc Shaman quest deck with Finja?

finja is okay in the deck but he will only draw you more murlocs usually.

Lost with Exodia Mage because the last card in my deck was Apprentice and I got pinged with fatigue the next turn. Whoops.
ouch

Since 4/5 of my ladder matches are Quest Rogue, is there a deck that beats it reliably? I would prefer to play Warlock or Hunter decks.

you seein' that many quest rogues? dang maybe I should've kicked it at rank 20 longer. But I got bored messing around at that rank cause people were playing so many goofy decks that has no chance to be good

hopefully I'll have much better luck then you

first ungoro tournament is happening right now https://www.twitch.tv/lifecoach1981

watched it for a bit. Saw an elemental shaman vs warlock (superjj vs stancifica). ended abruptly though

ScribbleD

It's not unbeatable, it's just not balanced. There are specific counters but if you don't like running aggro decks you are generally SOL.

They need to make it at least 5x instead of 4x to trigger the quest. Or give mid-late curve decks more options to counter their quest.

What if they changed the text to make it work like Druid's quest reward? All minions in your deck become 5/5s. Meaning that a shadow stepped minion in your hand doesn't benefit, nor does your board. Typing it out, that feels too drastic and kills off any reason to run token generators, which would be a shame.

I'm not advocating for an actual nerf, btw. I think it's way too early to be calling for anything. I'm just throwing that out there because we're doing what ifs / proposing ideas for how they can change it if they eventually decide it's too strong.

patchday

rogue is my most played class but my only problem with quest rogue is the minions are virtually immune to hex/devolve (they remain a 5/5). so only way to stop quest rogue once the train gets moving is to kill the minion.

I lost some stars and looked really dumb because I didnt know this when I ran across one of them on my shaman

(granted, I cant bring myself to ask for a nerf plus its just way too early to complain I am sure they wont stop my climb in the least)

ZeroX03

Banned

This time it was second to last in the deck! Didn't lose that one!

Lots of people still struggling to get their head around Rogue it seems.

peakish

There's an impressive amount of plain bad quest rogues out there. Of the last two I played against, one hit my 1/1 poisonous taunt with a 5/5 minion instead of the dagger, the other played the second (and final) novice engineer on board without shadowstepping it only to get coin holy nova'd.

scarlet

wow finally up to rank 15. lost so many stars experimenting (plus waiting til expansion launched to play ladder hardcore). luckily this Sherazin miracle rogue deck put in work (14-4).

now to get to next rank floor... but first will goof off with some elemental shaman deck. might tryout elemental mage next

Hope once meta settles will continue to have such a huge variety of decks to play. feels lovely :)

How's Sherazin? I'm watching eloise stream and it's basically dead most of the turns.

patchday

Sherazin? he's really useful for drawing the opponent's aggro that's for sure but I much rather they unleash all their wrath on him then my face.

Thijs is streaming a deck somewhat similar to mine: https://www.twitch.tv/thijshs

I think he's awesome personally I'm so glad I unpacked this immortal flower

edit - thijs doesnt run the vileslayer plants. I do. at my ranks I see lots of taunts

Peléo

I don't have the cards, and I'm not sure if I wanted to craft and use it. Eloise's deck use Sherazin, but I prefer Leeroy as finisher.

When Sherazin dies, and you play 4 cards to revive it, you still need to wait another turn so it can attack again. With 5/3 body I think it dies easily, and it's like a wasted turn for me. And I don't run backstab, 2 cheap spells to revive it. I prefer envenom so I can kill 2+ HP minions.

Yeah, I also think Leeroy is the better finisher. Wondering how busted would Sherazin be with Charge or +1 Health. I will try out your list, haven't played Miracle for a while.

FeD.nL

Sherazin? he's really useful for drawing the opponent's aggro that's for sure but I much rather they unleash all their wrath on him then my face.

Thijs is streaming a deck somewhat similar to mine: https://www.twitch.tv/thijshs

edit - thijs doesnt run the vileslayer plants. I do. at my ranks I see lots of taunts

Hadn't seen the animation of the dormant Sherazin yet, looks really neat.

The thing I don't like most about the Rogue quest is that it doesn't feel "Rogue"-like at all. Most of the class quests have great flavor to them, and then there's Rogue...

Are Mill decks still possible in Standard? That might counter Quest Rogue.

DSmalls84

Have a list? I got all of the Rogue cards except the quest so I would like to try a Sherazin Miracle variant.

scarlet

The thing I don't like most about the Rogue quest is that it doesn't feel "Rogue"-like at all. Most of the class quests have great flavor to them, and then there's Rogue...

I think mill is still doable with shadowcaster, thistle tea and mimic pod if you get lucky

I'd rather face quest rogue all day than mill. I hate that archetype.

Ketch

I think the bounce mechanic and multiples of one card are very uniquely rogue specific.

Even though it's too strong right now, I still think that it's a really fun deck to play.... like if it had to play stuff other then boar and patches and had to think a bit harder about what to bounce it could be top tier design/fun wise.

Nerf patches
Make it 5 or 6 copies
Change the death rattle elementals token names

Edit: what if patches destroyed one of your own mana crystals when it came out?

I think the bounce mechanic and multiples of one card are very uniquely rogue specific.

Even though it's too strong right now, I still think that it's a really fun deck to play.... like if it had to play stuff other then boar and patches and had to think a bit harder about what to bounce it could be top tier design/fun wise.

Nerf patches
Make it 5 or 6 copies
Change the death rattle elementals token names

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't mean that the requirement isn't Rogue-like, but that having a big board of 5/5s isn't very Rogue-like. Outside of Edwin, Rogue has always been about big sudden burst hits from minions with stats like 10/2, not a stable board of 5/5s that trades.

Ketch

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't mean that the requirement isn't Rogue-like, but that having a big board of 5/5s isn't very Rogue-like. Outside of Edwin, Rogue has always been about big sudden burst hits from minions with stats like 10/2, not a stable board of 5/5s that trades.

Yea that's true. I don't experience that as much because since I don't own patches the variant I use focuses on making multiplies of rogue class cards like SI7, ringleader.... so it feels more roguey for me I guess.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Vicious Syndicate live archetype matchups show rogue is weak to warrior, hunter, warlock, druid and paladin.

Mage is weak to everything but warlock right now.

http://www.vicioussyndicate.com/data-reaper-live-beta/

Still too early for any real conclusions but I'm going to guess that pirate warrior will be the only tier one deck in the first reaper report and Rogue is Jade druid part two where it doesn't win that much overall but feels absolutely awful to play against.

So, like, the Rogue quest is definitely getting nerfed, right? Turn 7 charge for 15dmg to the face from hand with Hero Power->Prep->Core-> Southsea x2 + Boar is miracle all over again.

patchday

wow Thijs gonna take his sherazin miracle to 1 Legend. He's currently rank 13 with a score of 11-2

he just exclaimed, "This deck is too good!"

patchday

So, like, the Rogue quest is definitely getting nerfed, right? Turn 7 charge for 15dmg to the face from hand with Hero Power->Prep->Core-> Southsea x2 + Boar is miracle all over again.

lol even if they nerf it surely it would take months. no matter what you will have to learn to fight against the deck.

leeroy is most def going in the next hall of fame class, i'm amazed it squeaked by. i don't think they'll ever rotate auctioneer though, it makes a lot of decks possible that wouldn't exist otherwise, leeroy has always just been the textbook charge minion they hate

Top Bottom