• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bolin breaking into tears and running away is hilarious. Saw this love triangle coming a mile away. I wouldn't mind seeing Korra do some wind bend training again. Like the banter between Tenzin and her. Regardless whoever she finally hook up with, she'll wear the pants.
The pro bending tournament seems to go fast. I mean, 1st match, quarter and semi-finals all in a single day?

i guess thats a good thing. pro bending is a lot more boring than expected though bolins 1 v 1 fight had some insanely awesome animation.

The whole series is a bit to fast, but Bolin running away and the bending was the best part. Everything else was just really sudden to me.

But what really *happened* in this episode in terms of progression of plot outside of the two tournament matches and meeting the dudes they'll take on in the finals?

Avatar trailer spoiler regarding final(?) tournament match :
Seeing that cocky water bender from the opposing team get Amon'd next(?) week is going to be soooo satisfying.

I was expecting it from the start to be boring, much prefer just regular old bending fights.

that promo image posted a while back made it look awesome. like a no holds barred bending brawl with crazy spectacles and transforming arenas. all we got are discs, jabs and whips with predictable match outcomes :(

hope we see some truly amazing non pro bending fights soon, and next week seems like it will deliver

FINE-LINE

Neo Member
Bolin breaking into tears and running away is hilarious.
And so unexpected! I figured he would turn all brooding and dark. They handled it perfectly.
As for the show 'moving too fast', I think getting all the obvious relationship drama out of the way early is a good idea. ATLA dragged the 'will they, won't they' dynamic out way too long.

shira

that promo image posted a while back made it look awesome. like a no holds barred bending brawl with crazy spectacles and transforming arenas. all we got are discs, jabs and whips with predictable match outcomes :(

hope we see some truly amazing non pro bending fights soon, and next week seems like it will deliver
Did you catch the losing bender with an eyehole drilled in his helmet?
I thought they can only use basic ebnding
samus%20aran%20bleeding%20and%20dieing.jpg

Skilletor

The only thing I dislike about probending is we're only getting to see The Fireferrets and the jobbers they go against. Doesn't seem like a true tourney since we're only getting a few of these matches.

I loved this episode. Bolin's character is hilarious to me. The timing in the dilaogue is great. He always makes me chuckle.

Zzoram

I think this was a good episode, not filler at all.

This episode basically resolved the love triangle story, put Korra in the "man" role of a normal love triangle (which was refreshing), and got through most of the pro-bending competition. I'd say a lot of stuff happened.

Cwarrior

episode 5

hmm...good funny episode thanks to the bolin and the kids,bolin got over it pretty quick, now can we get back to what made avatar great?you know story, hope this the last I see of this teen drama.

Don't get me wrong korra is great but it's not even on the level of the last airbender looks like they traded in a lot the charm,plot,adventure,funny to please the shipping war fans.

the last air bender managed to have the romance while having a plot, progressing through it at the same time while here the plot is swept under the rug in favor of internet fan pleasing drama.Also doesn't help that the cast is significantly weaker then the last air bender.

bolin and the kids are carrying this show on there backs right now.

still anyways I had a fun with this episode but am having more fun watching that ugly amazing show avengers earths mightiest heroes(there's well developed multilayer plot in this one).

The only thing I dislike about probending is we're only getting to see The Fireferrets and the jobbers they go against. Doesn't seem like a true tourney since we're only getting a few of these matches.

Then Tahno and his cronies are placed in Final Boss status since they ran a fucking train on that team

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I welcomed the diversion from the main storyline. With things running at breakneck speed, it's good to slow down and have a little fun.

Bolin went from a big nothing to awesome in one episode. Everyone else's personalities and actions are pretty consistent too.

Big revelation is that
Korra can heal. Didn't think that was going to be in her repertoire.

CoolS

I guess they tried it that way first but it probably was to expensive/too hard to follow/to hard to make the fights fair that way. I'm really looking forward to a making of or a Korra Artbook where they go in more detail about creating the series, the first Artbook was awesome in that regard.

So Bryan and Mike said Mako is Zuko without the angst.

We now know Bolin is Sokka without any game.
Do you have a link for that. I'd say he resembles Zuko, but he is also very diferent in a lot of regards.

And Bolin is even more different than Sokka.

I loved this episode. Bolin's character is hilarious to me. The timing in the dilaogue is great. He always makes me chuckle.
They probably had to balance it. I personally love pro-bending, but a lot of people find it boring for some reason. If they devoted more time to it, there would basically be no end to it. Plus they only had 12 episodes for everything initially and probably had to weed out the unnecessary stuff.
Also, pro-bending seems to be a big plot device to strenghthen the character relationships which each other, which is pretty awesome.

Seriously though, what did happen to Mako's patented "cool under fire" stuff?
He hasn't displayed that composure since that very 1st game.
I'd say he displayed it in the first match yesterday, they all were awesome before everything else happened.

episode 5

hmm...great episode thanks to the bolin and the kids,bolin got over it pretty quick, now can we get back to what made avatar great?

Don't get me wrong korra is great but it's not even on the level of the last airbender looks like they traded in a lot the charm,plot,adventure,funny to please the shipping war fans.

the last air bender managed to have the romance while having a plot, progressing through it at the same time while here the plot is swept under the rug in favor of internet fan pleasing drama.Also doesn't help that the cast is significantly weaker then the last air bender.

bolin and the kids are carrying this show on there backs right now.

still anyways I had a lot fun with this episode but am having more fun watching that ugly amazing show avengers earths mightiest heroes.
I wouldn't go as far as saying they traded anything for the shipping wars. Yes, TLA managed to have the romance as a side plot. But you know what? The fandom went insane about every little detail that way. This time around they put it out in the open for one episode and cleared up everyones feelings towards each other for now. Yes, the shippers will still do their thing but it's a lot better this way then it was in TLA imo.

I also think they didn't sweep the plot under the rug in favor of pleasing the fans, they used it as a device to please the fans as well as advance the story and build the main casts relations with each other. The more I think about it, I realize it was really, really well done.

As for the cast being weaker. Yes the seasons are a lot shorter, but it's still only been 5 episodes.

And then that match is going to get interrupted. :/

Would be funny if Tahno's team actually ran a train on the Fire Ferrets, then you know who happens.

Do you have a link for that. I'd say he resembles Zuko, but he is also very diferent in a lot of regards.

And Bolin is even more different than Sokka.

Apparently its from the San Diego comic con 2011 panel that introduced the new series, characters, etc and this was the quote from the transcript

So whereas Mako is kind of brooding, a little bit Zuko-ish maybe. -- He's a little lighter. Bolin is his younger, goofier brother, and he's naive

GCX

I wouldn't go as far as saying they traded anything for the shipping wars. Yes, TLA managed to have the romance as a side plot. But you know what? The fandom went insane about every little detail that way. This time around they put it out in the open for one episode and cleared up everyones feelings towards each other for now. Yes, the shippers will still do their thing but it's a lot better this way then it was in TLA imo.
Let's also remember that Aang was 12. That kind of innocent childhood "ehehee I kinda like you but I'm too shy to tell" crush worked well in TLA but wouldn't fit Korra's character at all.

Cool, thanks. It's exactly as they say, he Zuko-ish while still being his own character.

Honestly he wasn't showing it (being his own) much until recently so that's cool.

Plus to show how the creators had an idea of how prevalent the shipping thing, this is what was said when they showed the "Aang and Katara's Decendants" graphic (after the fucking ecstatic fan reaction).

Kataang won.

Here is the youtube video of the panel where they talk all the stuff

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

BigDug13

Can we stop with the "such and such in LOK is just like such and such from TLA". This show feels completely different to me while keeping the lore of the bending world intact. The main character's age, gender, upbringing, the world's current issues it faces. It just feels different, slightly more mature, but still has a bit of the fun, and I personally love it. But I wouldn't want to pigeon-hole anyone into previous characterizations from a different show.

Pkaz01

I hate this love triangle shit we luckily avoided it in TLA with the jet/aang/katara and the zuko/aang/katara but they full on went for it in this shit. Really don't like the love interesting stuff glad they got it semi out of the way. Needed more Tenzin this episode.

Violet_0

Banned
different strokes I guess, but so far Korra is easily up there with the best of TLA. I just really enjoy the setting, story, characters, animation, pro-bending, the little side-gags ("hey Makooo-oo..."). Heck, I even find the love triangle stuff to be most entertaining. It's an all-around fantastic show.

AniHawk

different strokes I guess, but so far Korra is easily up there with the best of TLA. I just really enjoy the setting, story, characters, animation, pro-bending, the little side-gags ("hey Makooo-oo..."). Heck, I even find the love triangle stuff to be most entertaining. It's an all-around fantastic show.

i'm in the same boat. the short nature of this show is keeping things pretty snappy. the only issue i might have with this episode is it kinda clumsily follows the previous one in tone, but the episode itself was a lot of fun.

Ultimadrago

Korra no Densetsu 5

"
I meant a girlfriend for meee! Leave some ladies for the rest of us!
"
- Bolin

One of the best quotes this season, also

Korra no Densetsu 5

N.gif
T.gif
R.gif

yyyyyyeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
In song:

So much delicious NTR!
NTR!
NTR!
So much delicious NTR!
All for me to eat!

Everybody now~!
(refrain)

Quite more entertaining than the last episode was.

Bolin's comedic scripting is getting better.

Korra reminds me of Vin from Mistborn. Both are super power heroines that struggle with men and both seem to straddle the line between being girly and manly. Though in Vins case it's more as though while everyone else suffers she's out attending balls with the nobles and flirting with the enemy.

mako=Elend Venture
Korra=vin
Bolin=Spook both try to win the main characters heart, and fail because they're both too alie with the MC
Tenzin=Sazed

ilikeme

Just watched episode 5

This show is so damn funny, I was laughing and shouting at a lot of stuff. Probending rocks!

Bolin, Korra, Mako, the kiids, all of them <3 Such good, funny characters.

Bolin Bolin Bolin Bolin Bolin Bolin

lol <3

Omikaru

Got two new favourite gifs from this episode:

not-a-good-episode.gif

Pretty much sums up my initial feelings about this episode.

korra-bolin-laughing.gif

This one is just a a brilliant laughing gif for general purpose use.

On another episode 5-related note, does anyone think Korra did her first airbending with that last burp? It was a pretty big one...

Akira

Episode 05: Loved this episode! Bolin is seriously the best character. Before this episode, I was almost predicting a "turn gray" twist when he inevitably found out about Korra/Mako and turn into a dark character, maybe working against Korra. But after this episode, it's now just a laughable prediction. That moment couldn't have turned out better. :lol

Trey

People using the term filler for episodes they don't like is an annoying trend.

It's a twelve episode season.

Timbuktu

People using the term filler for episodes they don't like is an annoying trend.

It's a twelve episode season.

I was expecting the Pro-bending stuff to happen in parallel with the Amon stuff, not for most of the tournament to be condensed into one episode. A little bit of travelling outside of the city for matches would have been great too, as much as that might sound too similar to Pokemon. I think they have nailed the 20s Shanghai tone for the city, but we've got a pretty good sense of that now and much of what was great from TLA was world building and exploration and I want to see how places have changed.

It was very enjoyable, but nothing great and it was all wrapped up neating at the end of the episode like a decent episode of Voyager. And right now, the old Earthbending tournament seems like much more entertaining spectators sport.

Cwarrior

mako is zuko with less characterization, his zuko without the sarcasm,anger and honor issue jokes and without a great character like Iroha to play off of.

His "what if" zuko had a different life and never got agni kai-ed.

There's really isn't much that separates him so far, even if he does go batman Zuko already did that with the Blue spirt.

Omikaru

It was very enjoyable, but nothing great and it was all wrapped up neating at the end of the episode like a decent episode of Voyager. And right now, the old Earthbending tournament seems like much more entertaining spectators sport.

I've got to admit, pro-bending isn't anywhere near as interesting as I wished it would be. I do miss the awesome free reign bender fights. All we seem to be getting these days is skirmishes with the chi blockers, and even then we've only had a handful in five episodes.

However!

I disagree on how it wraps up neatly like a good Voyager episode. ATLA always had strong continuity, and Korra's no different. Even this episode does. It still leads on to the final of the tournament next week, and we know something is going to happen in regards to the main plot then. Also, unlike an episode of Star Trek, where the resolution of the episode is often a return to the status-quo, that's most certainly not the case here, even if it feels like the events of this episode are in a bubble. I mean, this episode has transformed the romance subplot significantly; everyone's feelings are out in the open, and those sore wounds aren't going to heal overnight. Whilst I don't expect any of them to re-open in a gushingly awful way, there will be back references (jokes, awkward moments) made about it, and it's definitely set a relatively unexpected tone for these three characters' relationships with each other (and sank a few ships in the process).

Yes, it had a lot of fanservice, but it also moved the subplot along, and definitely changed the status-quo as far as this trio goes. With Asami probably being thrown into the mix, I expect things to have significantly changed from what we had last week. Whilst a lot of people -- myself included -- are a little upset that the subplot got a whole episode dedicated to its silliness, you can't really argue that it's self-contained and not in the spirit of this series' ever-unravelling narrative. It's just a momentary change of focus, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom