• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Hycran

Banned
Went out gym hunting and catchan with the wife, right as we pull up to the gym she goes "WOW I don't have that guy!" Considering she doesn't play much I wasn't startled but I checked the in game radar and saw the scyther shadow and immediately went into panic mode. There were only three possible ways to drive, on the third road, boom 1332 scyther. I caught it first ball, it ran away on my wife first ball. She was not happy for the rest of the night haha

Up to 129 and i only need one more abra, one more exeggcute, one more squirtle to hit easy 132. After that it's 4 other starter evos, snorlax and some random seconds I just haven't gotten around to farming yet.

ReyBrujo

With no new dex entries and efficient use of pidgey evolving you can do 70 for sure and one or two more. If you can bypass the evolution animation you can do a lot more, I don't remember the numbers anymore but it should be easy to google them up.
There was an Ingress mod called Broot. It was basically an Ingress client with a few extra stuff, you could turn off the effects in the map (useful for slow phones), turn off links and fields which usually slow down phones when many fields are overlapped), and turn off recycle animation. Back when you couldn't mass recycle things (you had to do it one by one), you were supposed to recycle maybe one or two items per second. Broot allowed to recycle dozens per second by not waiting for animations. And Niantic banned all those accounts who mass recycled stuff.

As far as I know, you cannot bypass evolution animation legally, and there's a like cap of 3 evolutions per minute thanks to that. If you begin pushing the boundaries, they might ban you. It's much simpler for them to ban a thousand accounts and then restore a couple dozens than the way around.

Diabelli

Man, fuck this. I have a gym that I can access from my home in which I farm coins from every day, but recently it's been taken over by 9 strong pokemon (Snorlax 1915, Vap 1949, Vap 1954, Snorlax 2036, Vap 2042, Flareon 2047, Gyrados 2092, Lapras 2342, Snorlax 2479). Granted, they're the same team as I am so all I have to do is level it up one more time to get my guy in there, but the prestige is sitting at 41587, so I have to level it up 8500 by beating that first Snorlax which just keeps wrecking my pokemon. It's been sitting like that for 4 days now; unfortunately for me, I think other teams have given up on trying to take it over :(. Weird thing is, it's only been this past week or so when all these really high level pokemon has populated this gym. Come on team blue, I'm rooting for you guys.

Still haven't seen a wild Magnemite, Dragonair, Chancey or Grimmer yet. Gonna have to get lucky with the eggs to fill my Pokedex =/

Azole

Neo Member
With no new dex entries and efficient use of pidgey evolving you can do 70 for sure and one or two more. If you can bypass the evolution animation you can do a lot more, I don't remember the numbers anymore but it should be easy to google them up.

Yeah. It was reported that people did up to 100k exp... I'm fine doing it the normal way... It's rather boring mass evolving lol... I have enough to do 94 (including 3 new evolves).

You know you can control your addiction when you are waiting for the bus, a lapras and a charmeleon appear less than two blocks away, and don't go after them.

Passing on Lapras is insane to me if you've already caught one, let alone when you still need it for your Pokedex. I guess if it's late enough that that's the last bus and you'd be stranded, you have no choice, but I'd be weighing my options even then.

cHinzo

Passing on Lapras is insane to me if you've already caught one, let alone when you still need it for your Pokedex. I guess if it's late enough that that's the last bus and you'd be stranded, you have no choice, but I'd be weighing my options even then.
I would just fire up Pokemonnearby and get on the next bus. :p Imagine the Lapras running away lol.

GulAtiCa

Went to a park near me, turns out it's a Scyther nest! I caught 3, and there were at least 3 more around.

If anyone here lives near Roswell/Alphretta GA (north Metro Atlanta) go to Will's Park.

Went to a park near me, turns out it's a Scyther nest! I caught 3, and there were at least 3 more around.

If anyone here lives near Roswell/Alphretta GA (north Metro Atlanta) go to Will's Park.

Our Metroparks in the Valley have been Scyther nests since day 1. Pretty cool stuff.

Media

Question since I don't follow as well as I should anymore: are they ever going to make it so that you have to have your phone unlocked while walking to hatch eggs? Walking around with your phone unlocked and the app open seems risky to me in populated areas, so I figured it'd be one of the first thing the fix.

oh man...things were happening for me this morning lol... started off the day with an aerodactyl...saw on a twitter feed a snorlax popped up on the other side of the city so I booked it and was able to get him before he despawned...

this is happening

Screenshot_20160903_095656.png

then I check the twitter feed later and something else spawned...

Screenshot_20160903_110601.png

took me over 80 ultra balls and 5 great balls but yeah he was caught.

AdanVC

It's always been terrible in the actual games. It's base HP is lower than Pidgey's.

Worth holding onto the candies in case Gen 2 comes out though.

Holy cow! Lower than pidgey? Onix u a dissapoint.

Question since I don't follow as well as I should anymore: are they ever going to make it so that you have to have your phone unlocked while walking to hatch eggs? Walking around with your phone unlocked and the app open seems risky to me in populated areas, so I figured it'd be one of the first thing the fix.

Yeah they should implement a way so that eggs keep hatching even with the phone locked. That would be even more useful now once the Buddy feature comes. But nah I honestly don't think Niantic will ever do that :c

oh man...things were happening for me this morning lol... started off the day with an aerodactyl...saw on a twitter feed a snorlax popped up on the other side of the city so I booked it and was able to get him before he despawned...

this is happening

Screenshot_20160903_095656.png

then I check the twitter feed later and something else spawned...

Screenshot_20160903_110601.png

took me over 80 ultra balls and 5 great balls but yeah he was caught.

Holy shiiiiiit, congrats! a 2k Dragonite on the wild?? What level you are omfg.

ReyBrujo

I'm rather sure I'll catch one eventually. A Snorlax spawned at home, so maybe a Lapras and a Dragonite will too. I'll probably get one hatching an egg once the game runs out of Eevees (minutes ago I just caught an insanely high 823CP one, just below a 843CP or so Oddish, the biggest non-evolved pokemon I ever caught).

With Ingress I used to be more hardcore, but now I take it easy. I'm thinking Niantic won't be adding 2nd generation or new levels til over 50% is finished (when the new levels were added to Ingress virtually everyone was L8, and those who reached L8 a year before were no longer playing), so there's plenty of time to catch'em all~ However, since this game is not theirs completely but got a license for Pokemon, the contract might be limited in time, so they might speed up the process to keep the game high in the lists until the license expires.

Yeah they should implement a way so that eggs keep hatching even with the phone locked. That would be even more useful now once the Buddy feature comes. But nah I honestly don't think Niantic will ever do that :c
Maybe the pokemon watch accessory will allow to do that.

Holy shiiiiiit, congrats! a 2k Dragonite on the wild?? What level you are omfg.

different levels get the pokemon at different cp and it's not always higher level gets higher cp...

I got a snorlax around 800 cp and the guy in the car next to me got him at like 2200 and he is like level 21 or 22

edit: I'm level 29

GulAtiCa

I did something crazy... I bought the $99.99 Coins pack... :lol

I spent $20 at beginning of last month, and had over 800 still leftover (mainly from gyms). So this could easily last me 5+ months, esp since buying that amount gives me much more then if I bought 5x the $20 pack. After buying 2 more item cases and a bunch of Egg Incubators, I have 14,000 coins left. All of my Eggs are now in Egg Incubators (except for the 10k, which I want to save till my vacation at end of month and try to get a lot of 10ks to hatch at once)

I did something crazy... I bought the $99.99 Coins pack... :lol

I spent $20 at beginning of last month, and had over 800 still leftover (mainly from gyms). So this could easily last me 5+ months, esp since buying that amount gives me much more then if I bought 5x the $20 pack. After buying 2 more item cases and a bunch of Egg Incubators, I have 14,000 coins left. All of my Eggs are now in Egg Incubators (except for the 10k, which I want to save till my vacation at end of month and try to get a lot of 10ks to hatch at once)

don't forget to still get your gym bonus for more coins. also you should upgrade your item bag to full because you never know how many pokeballs you may use on a rare...I know I used a lot for my dragonite

GulAtiCa

don't forget to still get your gym bonus for more coins. also you should upgrade your item bag to full because you never know how many pokeballs you may use on a rare...I know I used a lot for my dragonite

Oh, yeah. I still get the gym bonus, I woke up at 5:30 to get 5 from the ones I put in last night, good thing too, since they were down to 4 when I woke up at like 11.

I'm at 600 max now. I might make it 700 when I go on vacation to Universal Studios, FL. I don't think I need 1000 yet, but we will see how often I get near my limit currently.

Guys, I keep reaching the 250 pokemon limit because I'm a hoarder and I keep a few of every pokemon with different CP just in case I need them to train friendly gyms.
Are there any specific ones that are completely useless and I'll never use and I should murder them and grind their bodies for candy?

GulAtiCa

Finally reached Level 25.

I doon't know why, but if feels special that i managed to get so far hahaha

Same. Just reached it last night. I actually ended up making it so I hatched a 5k Egg would trigger my level up. Was an Abra too! Somehow did that for my lv 23 level up with a 10k egg as well (98% Omastar too). Makes it extra special

L Thammy

Finally built up my armies of Pidgeys and Rattatas so I could go on a Lucky Egg evolution spree... and it still couldn't quite get me to level 23.

The game's been good to me lately. Hatched my first Aerodactyl, got the full set of Eeveelutions after evolving my third Eevee, and caught a Porygon hanging around my place.

KingBroly

Banned
My local Target made 2 of their Red Balls in front of the store Poke-Balls

This has to be some kind of nationwide promotion, right?

HardRojo

Went to the store to grab something quick, ended up in the big park a few blocks away for about an hour and a half lol.
Escaping after the first break out shouldn't be a thing, that's pure bullshit especially if a berry was used.
I haven't researched about lures other than the basic info, but I've found out that if a lure spawns water Pokémon, it'll spawn water Pokémon only the whole time it's active, I don't know if it works with other types as I've only seen it happen (several times actually) with water Pokémon.
Edit: I've hatched who knows how many 2k eggs and I've yet to get a starter for one lol, I got lots of Charmander candy already, give me my high CP and IV Charmander!

AdanVC

Woah my 90% IV Golem is kicking ass on the gym where I left him. It's been half a day since I leave it and it's still there! A true record for me. Usually my weak ass pokemon don't last an hour in a gym. Maybe I will finally get my first set of Pokecoins!

Maybe the pokemon watch accessory will allow to do that.

Oh that would incredibly useful I might end up buying it just for that!

different levels get the pokemon at different cp and it's not always higher level gets higher cp...

I got a snorlax around 800 cp and the guy in the car next to me got him at like 2200 and he is like level 21 or 22

So it's truly like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

My local Target made 2 of their Red Balls in front of the store Poke-Balls

This has to be some kind of nationwide promotion, right?

It's possible. I've seen pics of other ones, unless it's the same Target as you.
I do know that Targets have a new "Pokemon Cart" in the front of the store. They have some sort of placard that goes on it with the Pokemon Go logo and a random assortment of Pokemon stuff like watches, cards, plush and figures. That one is definitely a corporate wide thing since every Target has one now.

EDIT: Also ayy lmao I made some links to our fellow PokeGAF threads. Are there any other ones that are still regularly posted in I'm forgetting about?

bryt

Ahhh I'm so salty. Saw a Geodude with 3 minutes left. Started running for it and when I got there the Geodude spawned, but when I clicked on it it said error and the Pokemon disappeared :( I was a second too late. I could have gotten my Golem today.

Radec

Yep. My friend got a 300 cp and I got a 2k one on the same spawn area.
She's really bummed out about it lol.

The only goal I have left in this game that doesn't require hatching a starter or flying to another continent is getting a really good Arcanine. So I spent six hours today farming over a hundred Growlithe candy for two more bites at the apple. Fire Fang/Fire Blast continues to elude me. I am now up to ten Arcanine and the only one that has FF/FB (or even two fire moves) is the 800 CP one, which is too low, and not strong enough (67%) for me to invest in powering it up. If I'm not sore tomorrow and/or Monday (These long days are really hard on my right hip. I must walk wrong.), I'll probably be at it again. I feel like I'm due and I have a 10K egg to hatch.

Pachimari

It's possible. I've seen pics of other ones, unless it's the same Target as you.
I do know that Targets have a new "Pokemon Cart" in the front of the store. They have some sort of placard that goes on it with the Pokemon Go logo and a random assortment of Pokemon stuff like watches, cards, plush and figures. That one is definitely a corporate wide thing since every Target has one now.

EDIT: Also ayy lmao I made some links to our fellow PokeGAF threads. Are there any other ones that are still regularly posted in I'm forgetting about?

The Sun/Moon info and speculation thread, I guess?
Also the 750 Pokemon thread where they go through each Pokemon in the entire series with very well written summaries.

JavyOO7

http://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemongo-buddy-system

So if the table is correct, after taking candies just from buddy system, I can get my Pikachu to evolve into a Raichu after walking for 31.1 miles? That's not so bad.

And the other disclaimer from the link above is = "Assumes that trainer gets one candy per set distance, and the buddy system has the same speed limit as eggs hatching (3 m/s)"

So if the table is correct, after taking candies just from buddy system, I can get my Pikachu to evolve into a Raichu after walking for 31.1 miles? That's not so bad.

And the other disclaimer from the link above is = "Assumes that trainer gets one candy per set distance, and the buddy system has the same speed limit as eggs hatching (3 m/s)"

That's not bad at all. I like walking and jogging so it'll be a nice addition to my egg hatching time :D

By the way i just evolved my first Dragonite (its hard to find those Dratini ;_;) and he has Steel Wing / Dragon.Pulse ;_;.
I know he's good for defending gym but still feel a little sad inside as i want a Dragon Breath cool chubby buddy ;_;.
Should i raise him or move on?

JavyOO7

That's not bad at all. I like walking and jogging so it'll be a nice addition to my egg hatching time :D

By the way i just evolved my first Dragonite (its hard to find those Dratini ;_;) and he has Steel Wing / Dragon.Pulse ;_;.
I know he's good for defending gym but still feel a little sad inside as i want a Dragon Breath cool chubby buddy ;_;.

I'd keep him for gym defending if his IVs is good.

Blizzard

Banned
Is the sightings tab weird for anyone else today? My girlfriend had the proper order, but everything that was closest to me was showing up in the last slot apparently. I walked onto a Dratini that was in slot #5.

Radec

CP11 - IV 99 Magikarp

lmao. I should stop appraising every pokemon I catch so I won't get sad whenever this happens.

Replicant

Nearby guide is completely fucked. What's nearby is not really nearby but a few blocks away whereas something that's a few blocks away is actually nearby.

If you can get one Dragonite the hard way, you can get another. It took me four Dragonites (one caught wild) to get to Dragon Breath/Hyper Beam. The road is super frustrating, especially for the work to not pay off the way you want it to, but if you want a Dragonite for attacking, it's what you have to do. And when you finally get there, you'll have the Dragonite you always wanted and a bunch of kick ass pokemon for getting defender bonuses.

For motivation (and bragging, obvs):

@JavyOO7: This Dratini was from my 10km egg and has 83% (the highest Drativi i've caught until now).
Thanks for the advice, his IV is not the best but i'll keep him because it was such a long and hard job to get all the candies and i already feel emotionally attached to him haha :D

@MegaKungFuRadio: Yeah, guess i'll grind for candy again while occasionally power up my current one for gym defend! :D

Your motivation pictures turned me all jelly lol :D.
J/k but i always want a strong Snorlax too :D. I found one back then with Zen/Body Slam and always want to power up him. Sadly, i cant never find him in the wild anymore lol :D

My area is near a lake so what i have are Magikarp and Psyduck. Im on the way to my 3rd Gyarados now (I've heard a lot of scary stories here about how Gyarados always learns Twister but for some reason mine have Dragon Pulse, both, and i want Hydro Pump...)

My area is near a lake so what i have are Magikarp and Psyduck. Im on the way to my 3rd Gyarados now (I've heard a lot of scary stories here about how Gyarados always learns Twister but for some reason mine have Dragon Pulse, both, and i want Hydro Pump...)

Yeah, I get the same in my area due to a creek that runs underneath the neighborhood. Plus a very lost looking Lapras once.

Yeah, I get the same in my area due to a creek that runs underneath the neighborhood. Plus a very lost looking Lapras once.

Thats nice :D
I have never seen a lapras before. Hope i can hatch one soon. Shes my favourite pokemon and im thinking of making her a buddy when that patch releases.

Stat time? Stat time!

Let's bring some life in here!

Post your numbers!

Started: 10th July
Walked: 250 km
Pokemon caught: 103
Pokemon seen: 105 (wigglytuff and lickitung)
Money spent: 0

10 km evee eggs: 3 :(

Firemind

375km for a Dragonite......

The distance tracker doesn't even work properly. The game says I walked 152km total. I already hatched more than 15 10km eggs at this point. Some of them in tandem but still.

Top Bottom