• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Xbone name "going to stick"; though isn't the most flattering name

fertygo

It happened because they were boning consumers initially. It probably wouldn't have been so obvious if they hadn't initiated those policies at first.

Its stick way before that.. Xbone just really fast nick that come to your mind even without intention to spite.

UNCMark

Banned
English isn't my first language, what's exactly unflattering about 'Xbone'? What are the negative connotations?

To get "boned" has the connotation of getting fucked in an uncomfortable place...no, not in the back of Volkswagen.

Boner carries the meaning of an erection, or worse it also means "huge mistake".

StuBurns

Banned
It was quick, clever, derisive and oddly appropriate during the time it was unveiled. Shouldn't be difficult to understand why it stuck.

But it should be difficult to imagine why Microsoft didn't see it coming a mile away. Though that's what happens when decisions are made by committee without someone with any common sense on the team.
Quick? Not really.
Clever? Not really.
Derisive? Are bones considered a pejorative?
Appropriate? I don't think so.

Xbox One-Eighty is pretty clever, derisive and appropriate though.

It's strange MS didn't see it coming, but with the public perception of the box, they'd have struggled to come up with any name people couldn't find a way to mock. It's a reflection of the public's reception of the system, not the name. MS not seeing it coming it kind of irrelevant, because they seemingly didn't see the colossal wave of hatred every decision they made would cause, which is really why people use 'Xbone' anyway.

sn00zer

Probably by highschoolers....but i dont think i would ever refer to XB1 as "Xbone" in public...sounds childish

Hard to believe they didn't see the name, but I suppose they weren't exactly looking at their product with an overly critical/realistic eye.

BigDug13

Every company should take a group of teenagers and tell them their idea for a product name. If they can come up with an unflattering nickname within ten minutes, change the name.

That's a really good idea actually. Get a room full of clever "class clown" type teenagers who are good at "play on words" style humor and give them some time with each name you're thinking of coming up with both in verbal form and written form. Pick the name that they couldn't do anything negative with.

old

XO is so much easier to type. When I see someone using Xbone I assume they're less than unbiased.

coldone

The problem with MS now is.. most of the guys leading the team don't care about games. They talk about TV, branding this and that.

Focus on games. No one cares about the name of the console. If a console with name like Wii can sell 100M.. any other name should be fine. Come up with a killer game line up like Mario Kart, Wii Sports. Dont worry about the name. It can be dog bone, xbone, crap shoot or any thing else. No one really cares how the console looks or what it's name is.

Fox Mulder

Quick? Not really.
Clever? Not really.

It's strange MS didn't see it coming, but with the public perception of the box, they'd have struggled to come up with any name people couldn't find a way to mock. It's a reflection of the public's reception of the system, not the name. MS not seeing it coming it kind of irrelevant, because they seemingly didn't see the colossal wave of hatred every decision they made would cause, which is really why people use 'Xbone' anyway.

bone can be used as a term for dick, you know, how MS was dicking consumers in the ass with their original drm scheme.

The name was appropriate at a time before the policy reversal, and has stuck due to its simplicity and MS's baffling decision to keep bringing it up.

Red Mage

Some companys DO do things like this.

I know, but MS obviously isn't one of them.

Quick? Not really.
Clever? Not really.

Boned is consider a pejorative, and it was quite appropriate, imo, as that was what they attempted to do to their customers.

Xbone confirmed for official name.

Now they just need a mascot. I suggest one of these two:

Poochie.png

erectiestabone.jpg

fertygo

I just like to say it, it's the word Bone rather than anything to do with being boned.

Yup, its also oddly appropriate to differentiate its from "Xbox"

I'm gonna believe if they saying the opposite and saying its by their design, instead declaring they don't like the nick.

Meier

XO is so much easier to type. When I see someone using Xbone I assume they're less than unbiased.

X-O doesn't exactly roll off the tongue and doesn't really align with the actual product name. X1 would be more appropriate if you were to just use two characters.

StuBurns

Banned
bone can be used as a term for dick, you know, how MS was dicking consumers in the ass with their original drm scheme.

The name was appropriate at a time before the policy reversal, and has stuck due to its simplicity and MS's baffling decision to keep bringing it up.
Box is a term for vagina too. I've never heard anyone comment on it.

Just in this thread you have people saying it means they're boned, and they're boning customers. Doesn't seem like there is a consensus.

Obscured

Makes sense to embrace it. From me I've always gone with XB1 as it fits the same pattern as PS4. When speaking about it (which has been very rare, I found I don't talk consoles or gaming that much) it is always the 'new or next' xbox or playstation.

I get what Major Nelson was saying as the initial moniker came from the idea that XB1 was going to screw everyone over and I'm sure he was aware of that, but even as it gained popularity a lot of people didn't even seem to get that reference and just thought it was a funny nickname combining it together. By going with it they make it their own and take out some of the bite.

level44

X-O doesn't exactly roll off the tongue and doesn't really align with the actual product name. X1 would be more appropriate if you were to just use two characters.

XO = Hugs and kisses (it's well known)
X1 = Taken by a Comcast product

MaulerX

Depending on the context, the Xbone name can actually be used in positive ways and to jab the competition. Just imagine the possible NPD headlines: "PS4 Xboned for the 8th consecutive month".

AkuMifune

Banned
Quick? Not really.
Clever? Not really.

Really? I think from the reveal we had people saying it immediately. It was too perfect with mattricks fugly grin all over the place. And it is appropriate to me. Also why I sold my 360. If there was ever any reason to suspect that those guys don't get it, that was it.

We're on opposite sides of the sand now, aren't we?

Well, we've always got Steam. ;)

IvorB

Where I grew up to "come bone" means to come last place. So there is that added little extra in there for me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'll take pot shots at MS any chance I get, but even I think "Xbone" is annoying as hell. I just go with XB1.

RocBase

Hard to believe they didn't see the name, but I suppose they weren't exactly looking at their product with an overly critical/realistic eye.

idk, I can kind of see where he's coming from. Sometimes something can be right in front of your nose and you don't even notice it.

BigDug13

I wasn't clever enough to find how Microsoft came up with the name One for their third console.

They already screwed up with the name 360. They thought they needed to somehow not be one number behind Sony as if people would have avoided Xbox 2 for PS3 just because it was a number behind. But I guess I get it.

But Xbox One? For your third console? Seemed really dumb to begin with. Especially when many people referred to the original Xbox as "Xbox 1" for clarification purposes instead of just saying "Xbox". Now they couldn't do that. I have to resort to calling it OG Xbox now.

ethomaz

Banned
Xbone type and sounds better than any other nickname for Xbox One.

I even write Xbone One unconsciously because it is easy to type Xbone than Xbox... to speak too Xbone feels right.

bigmf

At Microsoft headquarters: "We need to change the name! We can't be stuck with XBone forever! What's Japanese for One?"

"Ichi"

"It's PERFECT!"

StuBurns

Banned
Really? I think from the reveal we had people saying it immediately. It was too perfect with mattricks fugly grin all over the place. And it is appropriate to me. Also why I sold my 360. If there was ever any reason to suspect that those guys don't get it, that was it.

We're on opposite sides of the sand now, aren't we?

Well, we've always got Steam. ;)
Oh, I thought quick meant short to write/say, not shortly after the console's reveal.

Yeah, it was certainly an instant thing.

Milennia

Xbone is more of something I see on the internet, nobody I've met or know calls it that irl, they just call it Xbox or Xbox 1.

Xbone type and sounds better than any other nickname for Xbox One.

I even write Xbone One unconsciously because it is easy to type Xbone than Xbox... to speak too Xbone feels right.

Yeah me too. I always have to make a deliberate decision to not call it the xbone since I've learned that people take it as a pejorative for some reason.

I always thought the Xbox name was weird. I picture old rich guys in a meeting room staring at a big black box and can't think of a name. One man gets a stroke of genius, picks up a green marker, marks an X on the top of the box, and yells out "Xbox!"

MaulerX

I'll take pot shots at MS any chance I get, but even I think "Xbone" is annoying as hell. I just go with XB1.

Writing it is one thing. But I have yet to hear anybody actually say X-bone out loud. It'll just make people sound like idiots imo.

Top Bottom