• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam hits 12 million concurrent users.

epmode

Where are the bingo cards... Has there been any Steam threads over the years with no "but.., how about ACTUAL users!" (especially odd argument considering the ratio is basically always linear..) and "but, pc sales, it's dead!" and all other "buts"? ...I hope it never stops though, it's pretty damn funny.

The thing that people don't seem to understand is that there's almost never a way to directly compare the userbase of one service to another. All of the platform owners obfuscate the numbers in different ways. The best you can do is pick a good metric and watch how it changes over time. Concurrent users is as good a metric as any.

kiguel182

The "but AAA games cannot be played on toasters" argument is absolutely nuts. There's a huge audience for games that don't need high end rigs to play and there's a constant stream of new games that don't require high end rigs. When people upgrade their toasters to toasters of 2017, they suddenly notice thousands and thousands of older games that they couldn't play on their old toaster.

I am betting that many, MANY companies have a rather healthy cash flow coming in just from having the old catalogue available. PC games don't expire*. Old games don't go away when new ones launch. Some of the most popular games are 5 to 10 years old. I bought a bundle made of games released in early 90's just a few weeks ago and I have a rather high end rig.

* Well MMO's do or there are DRM's that cannot be gotten around, but that's up to the game maker to decide.

Yeah, I play games on my laptop all the time. Just not AAA games.

The idea that every steam user has a high-end desktop makes no sense.

Zizbuka

Banned
Some of you folks here are taking that 12 million number at face-value and just running with it, unfortunately.

And some of you are trying very hard to shit on the 'achievement'. It's just a plot point on a graph, doesn't really mean any more. Who cares how valuable the number actually is, it's good that PC gaming is strong and looking to become stronger.

Just leave it at that and move on. Don't try to convince everyone you know more than they do.

Kyougar

Where are the bingo cards... Has there been any Steam threads over the years with no "but.., how about ACTUAL users!" (especially odd argument considering the ratio is basically always linear..) and "but, pc sales, it's dead!" and all other "buts"? ...I hope it never stops though, it's pretty damn funny.

I made one quick and dirty.

slAxxyR.png

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm surprised that Elite Dangerous is so high on the concurrent players list, considering that most of Elite's players don't go through Steam to play it. I'm not surprised at how high Euro Truck Simulator 2 is on the list however. :D

PC gaming is dying, it's only a matter of time now. -_-

And wtf, Euro Truck Simulator? That's a thing?

LOL, not only is it a thing, it's an awesome thing. Click here if you want to visit the OT and learn of the glory that is ETS2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And some of you are trying very hard to shit on the 'achievement'. It's just a plot point on a graph, doesn't really mean any more. Who cares how valuable the number actually is, it's good that PC gaming is strong and looking to become stronger.

Just leave it at that and move on. Don't try to convince everyone you know more than they do.

PC sales/growth threads invariably attract a certain contingent of people who find the news offensive for one reason or another and do nothing but downplay. It and indeed "fanboy culture" in general is exceedingly childish.

Falk

that puzzling face
I hope those Dota2 players have learned their lesson and at least started to try to have fun so the statistic raises less hackles in certain parts of the internet.

Top Bottom