• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 6: fap without fear thread (GONE GOLD)

G-Fex

huh after watching some videos i'm a little hyped for it now, too bad I'm not really that good at Tekken what so ever.

Hold on a second markman, im hyped to the moon for this game! God only knows how much money ive pumped into this machine at the galleria down here in houston. Game is poetry in motion, and cant come soon enough.

MarkMan said:
Yea the music really does it now... you guys should see the music in the other stages... so WOW!
To be honest, Ive always felt that tekken never got the credit it deserved when it came to the music. Its easily some of the best in gaming, and so fitting for the stages and fighting in general.

abstract alien said:
To be honest, Ive always felt that tekken never got the credit it deserved when it came to the music. Its easily some of the best in gaming, and so fitting for the stages and fighting in general.

Tekken has THE best music in fighting games, IMO. The tempo is always pretty high and they really do some cool stuff in like the orchestral sounding one they have there (my second favorite has to be the techno yodeling with the sheep...I'm not making that up!). The only thing that's missing to me is a more intense version of the music when someone is going to be KO'd.

PS-- A big thanks goes out to Markman. He does a lot for the fighting game community especially when it comes to getting people hyped and informed on games they wouldn't normally check out.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
MarkMan said:
Yea the music really does it now... you guys should see the music in the other stages... so WOW!

Really? I was just buying this game for Raven. Sigh I wish his character was in SF4.

DihcarEM

neojubei said:
Really? I was just buying this game for Raven. Sigh I wish his character was in SF4.

I'm just gonna buy this game for Marshall Law, awesome that they animated him more like Bruce Lee. Do we have a console release date yet?

Daante

MarkMan said:
Tekken 6 (Xbox 360, PS3)
October 27th, 2009

According to GameStop.

Is the game coming to both US and EU that date? , or is it just JP first?

I have hyped two of my friends for this Tekken!. We played LOADS of Tekken 3 back in the days! :) , but havent really played the series alot after nr 3. Now with nr 6 we are planning to change this! :D

Good quality videos seem rare for this game. That looks good and I love the music. I want this so bad, I might have to import it because I heard it could come out considerably earlier in Japan.

Vespa

Tekken 3 OST is a complete classic, by far my most favourite of the series. T5 had a few stand out tunes too.

When the hell is Namco going to get around to making Tekken Tag 2? There's a lot of potential to build on what TT did. Satisfaction of Launch>tag>juggle>tag etc is too awesome!!

DrDogg

Vespa said:
Tekken 3 OST is a complete classic, by far my most favourite of the series. T5 had a few stand out tunes too.

When the hell is Namco going to get around to making Tekken Tag 2? There's a lot of potential to build on what TT did. Satisfaction of Launch>tag>juggle>tag etc is too awesome!!

They need to get the character roster up to 90 first so you can have even 3v3 teams. Give us one more game, plus upgrade, add in the missing characters (Dr. B, Jun, etc.) and we'll be there. :lol

DihcarEM

MarkMan said:
Tekken 6 (Xbox 360, PS3)
October 27th, 2009

According to GameStop.

Jeez that suck, i would have much rather wanted Tekken6 first instead of SoulCalibur4.
I'll get the jap version if it's released much sooner then the pal/us version.

Vespa said:

pay for DLC? Most likely.

I am soooooo ready for this title! I so adore this franchise. I even went out and bought a SF IV TE stick for this game alone; I really don't care for Street Fighter all that much. :lol

I love the game as well. Not as much as I used to but that's mostly because when I watch upper level match vids and combo vids, I see the SAME shit all the time and it's so fucking boring. Granted I don't play that way and have no desire to but with online becoming a major addition, I can no longer bask in my own almost scrubbyness and just be. I feel like I'll need to play it just because. Same thing I did with T5DR. I suck so bad. 25% of the time it's because of lag though lol.

And I'm not looking forward to paying real money for custom items already on the disc. You KNOW it's going to happen. They keep hyping up a robust offline mode as well as a unique online mode. That intrigues me more than watching players show off their "me too" combos over and over in EVERY video.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Gantz said:
Worst time to launch a fighting game. Early or late summer would have been better.

Wrong. This will save me money as I can skip most of the other releases in that shitty time period. :D

Gantz said:
Worst time to launch a fighting game. Early or late summer would have been better.

I don't know. That's exactly nine years and a day after the PS2 launched with TTT and I had SO much fun playing that even though there was buzz surrounding other titles for the holiday lineup (FFIX, other PS2 titles etc...)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Kintaro said:
Wrong. This will save me money as I can skip most of the other releases in that shitty time period. :D
Pretty much this. T6 is one of two or three games I'm going to buy this fall, the other definite being Need for Speed Shift and the other one either Forza Motorsport 3 (when it's announced/if it's coming out in 2009) or Bioshock 2.

DrDogg

After playing BR all weekend, I can officially say it is the best looking fighting game... period. T6 Vanilla already looked very, very good, but the graphical jump over Vanilla is very noticeable and the gameplay adjustments really allow me to enjoy the game a lot more.

My arcade needs to upgrade to BR now or I'm going to find myself in LA a lot over the coming months. :lol

obaidr

Banned
I was so exited for this game and then i heard it is multiplatform and i lost my interest.

No i am jocking. Tekken is the game I invested most of my life in. I love TT and Tekken 5: DR Online. But I am not sure how weapons will increase the fun factor. I am really not that sure if will like tekken 6 or stay with DR Online.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
obaidr said:
I was so exited for this game and then i heard it is multiplatform and i lost my interest.

No i am jocking. Tekken is the game I invested most of my life in. I love TT and Tekken 5: DR Online. But I am not sure how weapons will increase the fun factor. I am really not that sure if will like tekken 6 or stay with DR Online.

lol

I know you're jocking, but that was lol worthy.

Also!

The weapons don't play a major role, they are slow, easily avoidable, and do little damage. So don't worry about that.

DrDogg

obaidr said:

I can back MarkMan up on this. Playing all weekend, I saw one weapon used and it didn't hit. This is straight up Tekken. You don't need to worry about the weapons.

DrDogg said:
They need to get the character roster up to 90 first so you can have even 3v3 teams. Give us one more game, plus upgrade, add in the missing characters (Dr. B, Jun, etc.) and we'll be there. :lol

Michelle, Gon, Forest, Kunimitsu, Alex, Devil, Angel, Ogre and P-Jack are deeply hurt by their lack of recognition :(

Honolulu

Neo Member
Dr Boskonovitch is deeply hurt by I hate bees lack of recognition. ;(

boskon.jpg

:(

but seriously, playing as Kunimitsu again would kick ass.

Chorazin

Gantz said:

Summer means it goes up against KoF XII and BlazBlue, which isn't favorable for Namco. October is the right time this year.

Honolulu said:

boskon.jpg

I was adding to DrDoggs list, if you get any more senile I'll throw you off a cliff.

w9k3cw.jpg

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Honolulu said:

boskon.jpg

It's okay... his daughter that he built is reppin' for his crippled ass ;)

Ok, I don't mean to piss people off or talk trash about Tekken (it's what made me the modern gamer I am today), but I watch match vids and combo vids every day. MarkMan, I have your site bookmarked and check it everyday and follow your youtube links. But I need to know if it's just me or what.... I literally get a somewhat sickening feeling every time I see combos from certain characters. Maybe it's the repitition? Maybe it's the way these people play? I don't know. It has really turned me off from Tekken (except it hasn't lol).

I cringe whenever I see a Bryan continuing his combos with that spinning side kick or Feng's silly stiff twirls and such. I guess this is a clear sign that I'll be staying away from T6 online because of the monotonous gameplay.

I love me some new Tekken, but maybe it's not for me anymore. That or T6 just isn't the new Tekken I was hoping for? MarkMan, how do you deal with it? Serious question: Do you enjoy it as much as you do to justify the amount of time and money spent on it or is learning and performing all these samey combos that fulfilling? For me, I think these past 11-12 years of Tekken has burned me out. But then again, I don't play competitively... and don't think I would because of my complaints.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Ok, I don't mean to piss people off or talk trash about Tekken (it's what made me the modern gamer I am today), but I watch match vids and combo vids every day. MarkMan, I have your site bookmarked and check it everyday and follow your youtube links. But I need to know if it's just me or what.... I literally get a somewhat sickening feeling every time I see combos from certain characters. Maybe it's the repitition? Maybe it's the way these people play? I don't know. It has really turned me off from Tekken (except it hasn't lol).

I cringe whenever I see a Bryan continuing his combos with that spinning side kick or Feng's silly stiff twirls and such. I guess this is a clear sign that I'll be staying away from T6 online because of the monotonous gameplay.

I love me some new Tekken, but maybe it's not for me anymore. That or T6 just isn't the new Tekken I was hoping for? MarkMan, how do you deal with it? Serious question: Do you enjoy it as much as you do to justify the amount of time and money spent on it or is learning and performing all these samey combos that fulfilling? For me, I think these past 11-12 years of Tekken has burned me out. But then again, I don't play competitively... and don't think I would because of my complaints.

I kind of agree with this. I'm super hyped for T6, but the juggles, man.....argh. This is why I switch to VF, but it kinda looks like VF is dead sooooooooooooooooo....

Master Thespian said:
I kind of agree with this. I'm super hyped for T6, but the juggles, man.....argh. This is why I switch to VF, but it kinda looks like VF is dead sooooooooooooooooo....

I did enjoy VF5 on the PS3 but was very bitter that a 360 version came out with more features. I got rid of the game but have regretted that decision ever since and your post didn't help lol.

I just don't think it's normal for a 26 year old to get as angry as I do just by watching character animations... even if they are repetitive and recycled from previous games of previous generations. I guess it could be because I have envisioned fighters being much more than what I've been seeing. Wish I could get a job in the biz.

Daante

MarkMan said:
The weapons don't play a major role, they are slow, easily avoidable, and do little damage. So don't worry about that.

Wait a second.. is Tekken 6 gonna have weapons?.. , man that is so so wrong for a tekken game imo.. :S

LowParry

Daante said:
Wait a second.. is Tekken 6 gonna have weapons?.. , man that is so so wrong for a tekken game imo.. :S

Yes, having Ling magically poof a Panda head on your character is soooooo OP.

DrDogg

MoonsaultSlayer said:

How is this any different than any other fighting game? In every fighting game, during high level play, you see the same stuff repeated over and over. I suppose with the new Bound feature Tekken 6 and BR have slightly longer combos, but again... every fighting game has you working to get your highest damaging juggles/combos. I challenge you to name one decent fighter where this logic doesn't apply at high levels of play.

The fun in Tekken is not performing your bread and butter juggle over and over again. It comes in the mind games, movement and intense strategy needed to land the launchers that lead to these combos. Anyone can memorize how to perform a combo, that's not even what separates people in skill.

When I was in SoCal last weekend playing BR, I didn't know hardly any combos, but I was still able to beat people using Tekken 5.0 strats. It would've been a lot easier with 50% Bound combos, but again... that's not where the real skill is to be had.

DrDogg said:
How is this any different than any other fighting game? In every fighting game, during high level play, you see the same stuff repeated over and over. I suppose with the new Bound feature Tekken 6 and BR have slightly longer combos, but again... every fighting game has you working to get your highest damaging juggles/combos. I challenge you to name one decent fighter where this logic doesn't apply at high levels of play.

The fun in Tekken is not performing your bread and butter juggle over and over again. It comes in the mind games, movement and intense strategy needed to land the launchers that lead to these combos. Anyone can memorize how to perform a combo, that's not even what separates people in skill.

When I was in SoCal last weekend playing BR, I didn't know hardly any combos, but I was still able to beat people using Tekken 5.0 strats. It would've been a lot easier with 50% Bound combos, but again... that's not where the real skill is to be had.

I guess it does seem like I'm picking on Tekken but that's one of the only fighters I've played for a serious amount of time. Everything else has just been casual plays and purchases (with the exception of So Cali which I do enjoy, but never as much as Tekken).

I don't play it competitively religiously, but there was a time when I would consider it my religion. It may not show in my "game", but I loved the hell out of it. These characters have a shit ton of moves but EVERY video I see use about a handful of moves mixed in with their footsies and launchers. I sat through that epic T6 Tekkenlord match between Bob and Kaz and while it was sometimes intense, it also bored me. Same guys using the same strats. It's not just Tekken, I know.. but that's all I've been following. And like I said, I guess I had better ideas of where I saw fighters/Tekken going.

Top Bottom