• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I actually didn't think the Aizawa scene was too bad (given the knowledge he's been kidnapped which was awkward as fuck). I am super dissapoint Chronos isn't actually a clock for a face because I was ready to make fun of that hardcore! Either way, I actually enjoyed this chapter and I'm now suddenly invested in the fight again! I still wish Overhaul would do something other than spikey floor attack though. I keep saying that as a joke, but for someone with such a neat power he's using it in the most boring fucking way I can imagine.

I actually didn't think the Aizawa scene was too bad (given the knowledge he's been kidnapped which was awkward as fuck). I am super dissapoint Chronos isn't actually a clock for a face because I was ready to make fun of that hardcore! Either way, I actually enjoyed this chapter and I'm now suddenly invested in the fight again! I still wish Overhaul would do something other than spikey floor attack though. I keep saying that as a joke, but for someone with such a neat power he's using it in the most boring fucking way I can imagine.

He did make ground hands also to grab Deku with......but yeah he really has a boring way to use his power when it comes to long range.

FlowersisBritish

He did make ground hands also to grab Deku with......but yeah he really has a boring way to use his power when it comes to long range.

I think a lot of the enemies could be descirbed as boring af. Honestly, in retrospect I kind of wish Overhaul was just some off-kilter dude obsessed with "cleansing" and joined up with the VA and this arc focused on them instead.

LotusHD

Banned
Seriously why?

Typed up a response, only to lose it, so meh, to sum it up, they're just very uninteresting, especially his underlings, who are all very samey to me. Thought he'd be much more threatening, but I'm just completely done with him (and this arc I guess) at this point. Pretty much knew this for certain when I barely had a reaction to him fusing with one of his underlings. I've never been that much into MHA's villains, but Overhaul is my least favorite so far.

Vinsmokes?

Not really villains at this point considering where the story went (Though obviously they were antagonistic), but even then, nah, Overhaul still loses here, as their whole aesthetic/powers are at least awesome.

Has it already been over a year since Bleach ended?

*shrugs

Can't be disappointed if you never liked them to begin with.

FlowersisBritish

Ahhh AHHH god it hurts remember the final Arc of Bleach.

You shush. The final arc of Bleach was great and everything I expected of Bleach. Did you all forget the guy who's evil final form was one of this dippy birds? That's some quality writing right there I tell you!

NSESN

Typed up a response, only to lose it, so meh, to sum it up, they're just very uninteresting, especially his underlings, who are all very samey to me. Thought he'd be much more threatening, but I'm just completely done with him (and this arc I guess) at this point. Pretty much knew this for certain when I barely had a reaction to him fusing with one of his underlings. I've never been that much into MHA's villains, but Overhaul is my least favorite so far.

I sort of like Overhaul, but I would wait until the arc to end to confirm my feelings.
The eight expendables, well, outside of Rappa that was really enjoyable, didn't have an impact. But I am not disappointied because I think it was sort of the meaning of them, be trow away goons.
All things considered I would never say they disappointed me. Maybe except the bane guy.

Not really villains at this point considering where the story went (Though obviously they were antagonistic), but even then, nah, Overhaul still loses here, as their whole aesthetic/powers are at least awesome.
I really disagree with that
They are really lame evil power rangers. I don't even remember what power Yonji had. Even Reiju that is the best of the bunch went from an interesting character at first to a plot device to make Sanji go to the wedding.
That and Plague doctors are a better aesthetic too.

LotusHD

Banned
I really disagree with that
They are really lame evil power rangers. I don't even remember what power Yonji had. Even Reiju that is the best of the bunch went from an interesting character at first to a plot device to make Sanji go to the wedding.
That and Plague doctors are a better aesthetic too.

To each their own. Loved their designs, the glimpse at their powers, that they're science-based, have a country
made out of snail ships.
The characters themselves were indeed more lacking, but they nonetheless had far more appealing to me than nearly anything Overhaul has done outside of his whole kill with one touch thing. (I really like that.) Neither are they set up as the main antagonists, so I'd end up cutting them some slack anyhow.

Anyways, the point is, he's been the most disappointing for me. Liked him upon initial introduction, could care less now.

DNAbro

I like Overhaul. He's the only character with on-screen confirmed kills, sitting at a hot 2 and may move up to 3. I also like his aesthetic and his Fullmetal alchemist powers. I don't get him that much as a character yet though. Like you get Stain's deal pretty quickly and everything about him is about his ideal, I still don't really know what Overhaul is about other than he's awful to children and he really wants to destroy Quirks.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
qijvWYB.jpg

NSESN

I like Overhaul. He's the only character with on-screen confirmed kills, sitting at a hot 2 and may move up to 3. I also like his aesthetic and his Fullmetal alchemist powers. I don't get him that much as a character yet though. Like you get Stain's deal pretty quickly and everything about him is about his ideal, I still don't really know what Overhaul is about other than he's awful to children and he really wants to destroy Quirks.
That is why I said I would wait. I didn't like stain at first but after him saving Deku my perception of him changed. Same way I disliked Toga until the Camie reveal.

Veelk

Banned
I think Overhaul has a fantastic Quirk and can be a colossal threat in the future. But it's hard for him to shine because he's kinda fucked in this situation. His base is being raided by a ton of Top level heroes+their powerful interns+cops, the allies he just made double crossed him, and his minions are falling by the minute.

I said it before, the villains are consistently the underdogs because the society of MHA is a fairly stable one where the Heroes hold much of the power. Which I'm starting to feel is a problem if he's gonna keep doing these lengthy arcs.

Ultimately, I think this arc isn't super bad in itself, but a lot of MHA's problems are beginning to surface, in addition to Horikoshi simply not being at his best right now. So I find complaints about it understandable, even if I still see stuff here being worthwhile.

I mean the point of Deku vs Overhaul isn't to win the fight. It's probably to show Nighteye that Deku is every bit the hero material All Might believes he is, and to show Deku a clearly missing part of his arsenal, which is a move set that's less straightforward.

As long as the price didn't increase to $10 a volume, i will be okay with the faster release.
Should be the same cost as all the other series they did the speed up for in their lifetimes never increased in price.

I guess it makes sense to do this since their already going at a good pace for Haikyuu!! and World Trigger will be caught up.

Sad their not picking up a new series.

NSESN

I think Overhaul has a fantastic Quirk and can be a colossal threat in the future. But it's hard for him to shine because he's kinda fucked in this situation. His base is being raided by a ton of Top level heroes+their powerful interns+cops, the allies he just made double crossed him, and his minions are falling by the minute.

I said it before, the villains are consistently the underdogs because the society of MHA is a fairly stable one where the Heroes hold much of the power. Which I'm starting to feel is a problem if he's gonna keep doing these lengthy arcs.

Ultimately, I think this arc isn't super bad in itself, but a lot of MHA's problems are beginning to surface, in addition to Horikoshi simply not being at his best right now. So I find complaints about it understandable, even if I still see stuff here being worthwhile.
I think this arc is pivotal to make villains hold more power in the society. If Toga and Twice are successful, the VA will get rid of a rival group while getting hold of an important weapon against the heroes.

DNAbro

I'll give Vigilante's another shot with the official translation, but I'm still not expecting much.

as a warning they didn't translate the "extra chapters" which are actually kind of important. It's kind of dumb they skipped over them, characters get more development and get introduced in them.

Geist-

So catching up on MHA (Ch.144 right now) after having stopped following weekly around ch.100, and I'm really liking the Overhaul arc. It's really cool to see Deku and the gang's first job as semi-pro heroes is saving a kid from child abuse.

The comedy is on point too. I died when I saw these:

4dHpoxe.png

2CUQxSi.png

LotusHD

Banned
So catching up on MHA (Ch.144 right now) after having stopped following weekly around ch.100, and I'm really liking the Overhaul arc. It's really cool to see Deku and the gang's first job as semi-pro heroes is saving a kid from child abuse.

The comedy is on point too. I died when I saw these:

2CUQxSi.png

I find it impressive that I came out of Kirishima's backstory thinking "Wow, what a cool character Ashido is" when I'm supposed to be focusing on Kirishima lol

So I guess Chiisaki will take Eri and flee now that the litrally big guns have arrived. Sad as I kind of hoped it would have been the final show down. I guess he could go crawling to Shigaraki Tomura for help now that everything he has built has gone to shambles.

I was kind of hoping Eri would inspire and reawaken Mirio's latent powers so that he wouldnt be permanently disabled.

Ultimately feeling mixed on this arc.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Artist is Ekita玄
LjmRLnF.jpg
That's actually pretty bad. Doesn't really invoke the original characters at all. Frog girl in particular doesn't look anything like her and could be any generic anime girl.

Makes me wonder if it's commissioned art rather than from someone who knows the series.

NSESN

I didn't say it was a "problem", but yes, I was referencing that lol
Ah ok. I think in every forum I go people agrees so I don't know why youtubers try to sell it as something it isn't.

But again If Mirio gets his powers back it will all depend on how it is done. Bakugou being kidnapped was extremely tropey in a first glace but ultimately paid off.

DNAbro

Mirio shouldn't get his powers back but he should still be relevant. He's too good to leave. I want to see what can be done with a Quirkless hero.

Also Overhaul is probably going down this arc, can't see him being more than a 1 arc villain. Whether or not Deku is the one to take him down I'm not sure.

LotusHD

Banned
Mirio shouldn't get his powers back but he should still be relevant. He's too good to leave. I want to see what can be done with a Quirkless hero.

Also Overhaul is probably going down this arc, can't see him being more than a 1 arc villain. Whether or not Deku is the one to take him down I'm not sure.

I wouldn't be surprised, considering that grotesque transformation. Can he even change back I wonder...

Vigilante is out

Realized I don't really care much for 2 out of 3 vigilante

Who do you care for

caliph95

I wouldn't be surprised, considering that grotesque transformation. Can he even change back I wonder...

Who do you care for
Overhaul could be a pseudo nomu or a way to create nomus for the league since they lost All for one

The big guy I don't like pop step and the protagonist is a protagonist

DNAbro

Vigilante is out

Realized I don't really care much for 2 out of 3 vigilante

This part was pretty good

Lxe5OqN.png

Also something worth mentioning

m8y6kIT.png

ZttUFZA.png

So are we supposed to assume Naomasa has the same Quirk? If he does, I wonder if it will ever come up in the main series.

NSESN

I knew that it would fail because she said hauler and not crawler.
This part was pretty good

Also something worth mentioning

So are we supposed to assume Naomasa has the same Quirk? If he does, I wonder if it will ever come up in the main series.

Probably. It is a super useful quirk for a detective

Chase17

Vigilantes 7-11
This series really has almost nothing going for it. It at least is occasionally funny. Not sure how I feel about the popstep/crawler backstory, but it at least adds some sort of interest to the group. Igenium asking for the card back was cold.

The Stain "origin story" was bad. So bad!

Top Bottom