• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCII: Heart of the Swarm screens [Previews/Vids, Development Fully Started This Year]

Xamdou

Aquavelvaman said:
I love seeing the high res models in the upgrade screens. Can't wait for this. Show us lurkers :3

They better have lurkers this time around for SP and MP, considering Heart of the Swarm is the expansion pack of SC2.

hamchan

pieatorium said:
Well it is the zerg expansion of wol, not sure what you were expecting lol.
Dunno, when I heard SC2 was going to be 3 games I expected them to be trying new and different things for each campaign :-/

EDIT: also with Legacy of the Void coming last I hope that means the Protoss come out on top at the end. Screw the humans and the Zerg already had their shot with Brood War.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
clip said:
Why the fuck can the richest game dev. studio not afford some decent writers, fuck it all.

Because most people think the story is epic and awesome.

And cause Metzen doesnt realize he cant fucking write worth a shit.

god spare me the pain of the story in this game. they should just remove it completely for the next xpac and use the extra time saved on making fancy high detail zergling models to finish d3 or something.

Hexadecimalt said:
The Protoss campaign always had the best storytelling of Starcraft in the original games. Really I see it all coming down to them, as it did for the originals.

Terrain < Zerg < Protoss IMO in terms of campaign storylines for the orignals.

It's too late for the Terrans and possibly the Zerg given what we've gleaned from the leaked script. Perhaps the Zerg campaign may shed more light on the true nature of the Xel'Naga, but from these screens it looks more like it is going in the direction of sitcom bullshit, especially with the 'I AM THE MEMORY OF YOU' screen.

So, fuck the humans and their terrible "we're the center of the universe" bullshit and squabbling for petty political control. Fuck the Zerg TV-trope of having Kerrigan re-confront a force she was just previously in full control of. And I'm not even going to think about Kerrigan's herp-derp resurrection.

Blizzard always saves the best for last.

Bring on the real masters of the universe.

Protoss_Zealot_2_by_SgtHK.jpg

Legacy of the Void will redeem the story.

BELIEVE.
They were all pretty good in SC1 up until the end. I mean you can just as easily boil Protoss down to "omg I lost my homeworld :(((((("

BananaBomb said:
god spare me the pain of the story in this game. they should just remove it completely for the next xpac and use the extra time saved on making fancy high detail zergling models to finish d3 or something.
D3 will be out before HotS, believe.

Bowdz

Yoshichan said:

I don't know what GAFs opinion's on Starcraft Ghost are, but these screen make me wish it was still in production. The gameplay from Ghost (that was shown before) + better visuals and art design + current TPS trends = amazing title.

The screens look amazing. Although I'm not looking forward to the story, I am confident the missions will be fantastic just like WoL.

Kunan

"I am the memory of you as the queen of blades" - Horrendous, pathetically awful looking zerg design

Someone needs to co-write with him, or get him out. WoW has really fucked with his head, it seems. I'm still trying to be hopeful that the story will eventually return to the greatness of SC1+BW, but that line suggests a plot arc even worse than any found in WoL -_-

ultron87 said:
http://i.imgur.com/5DSeu.jpg[/IMG

Nice OP ling upgrades here. Speed, spawn broodlings on death, and (I assume) even faster build speed.[/QUOTE]
ling speed isn't OP its required to make them not suck.

is it just me or does this whole evolution chamber business seem like we're going to get a hyperion rehash with zerg flavor? i thought the whole point was that now we get a different type of overworld experience...

Altazor

"I am the memory of you as the Queen of Blades"

WTF does that even mean?
KuGsj.gif

anyway, screenshots look good. I still have hype, even if I found WoL's story appalling. It was pretty fun.

ultron87

BananaBomb said:
is it just me or does this whole evolution chamber business seem like we're going to get a hyperion rehash with zerg flavor? i thought the whole point was that now we get a different type of overworld experience...

I think it's that but with a focus on Kerrigan as a hero unit.

Her using a gun in those screenshots annoys me...

Edit:

Tf0Of.jpg

That a new Protoss widget up in the top of this image (to the left of the gateway and pylon)?

ultron87 said:

Edit:

Tf0Of.jpg

That a new Protoss widget up in the top of this image (to the left of the gateway and pylon)?
I hope she starts that way and slowly regains her powers so she will eventually lose the gun.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
those are not cerebrates.
where is my queen advisor.
no you are not the memory of the queen of blades.
ice creatures; ugonnagetINFESTED
metzen retire plz.

ultron87 said:

Edit:

http://i.imgur.com/Tf0Of.jpg[/IMG

That a new Protoss widget up in the top of this image (to the left of the gateway and pylon)?[/QUOTE]
looks like it, kinda cannonish, maybe sheild battery?

Bowdz

Pandaman said:
metzen retire plz.

Someone with adamantium balls needs to call him on his atrocious writing at Blizzcon during the lore panel. Just straight up ask him why his writing is so unbelievably bad.

Pandaman said:
metzen retire plz.
lol it could still be good. Never lose hope. Maybe right after it says that Kerrigan rips it to shreds and that horribleness dies right there. Believe it can still be good!

bengraven

I think Kerrigan looked hotter in her purple insect bodysuit and yellow twisted skin.

Totally important, I know.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
there's a second new protoss building in one of the screens. its also mildly curious that the toss are using gateways in the place of warpgates.

Bowdz said:
Someone with adamantium balls needs to call him on his atrocious writing at Blizzcon during the lore panel. Just straight up ask him why his writing is so unbelievably bad.

i got tickets. will heavily consider. i was pretty (really) upset with wol, haha.

Pandaman said:
there's a second new protoss building in one of the screens. its also mildly curious that the toss are using gateways in the place of warpgates.
That new upgrade time is really a killer

Bowdz

Also, is this going to be the exact same story as SC1 with Kerrigan having to gain control and unite the various Zerg broods?

If so, Metzen will official take the crown of 'Worst writer working for top tier developer' from Mac Walters.

BananaBomb said:
i got tickets. will heavily consider. i was pretty (really) upset with wol, haha.

You will become and internet legend rivaling the likes of awkward red shirt guy if you do it.

Yoshichan said:
The actual singleplayer campaign is really entertaining and fun... the story however, sucks so hard.
This! The gameplay for the single-player was a lot of fun and nicely varied and not repetitive (hard thing to do for an RTS campaign) but the story was nothing memorable at all.

These screens look great...that ice environment looks awesome.

Bowdz said:
Also, is this going to be the exact same story as SC1 with Kerrigan having to gain control and unite the various Zerg broods?

If so, Metzen will official take the crown of 'Worst writer working for top tier developer' from Mac Walters.
That would still be better than "there must always be a queen of blades", seriously fuck WotLK.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
pieatorium said:
That new upgrade time is really a killer
warpgate really should be a templar tech level upgrade. its not a change that could be made in wol because you'd have to buff gateway build times and redo each races early game, but its doable for a expansion.

Tet

Neo Member
Can someone parse "I am the memory of you..." for me please? Oh well, I'm sure it's just a typo.
:(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Tet said:
Can someone parse "I am the memory of you..." for me please? Oh well, I'm sure it's just a typo.
:(
you know how in portal glados said she had a black box that recorded her memory and forced her to relive her death hundreds of times before she was reactivated?

thats kerrigans black box. for some reason she gave it stabbing tentacle spines. what could go wrong.

I know I must not get hyped due to Wing Of Liberty's Story but... goddamn Blizzard, goddamn... you're making my task impossible to achieve.

Top Bottom