• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

CrocoDuck

DL-hzjXUQAAtaVF.jpg

Starting to come together.

Wow this looks really cool, how far ahead are you, and, any tips?

Brakke

Banned
Played 30hrs without one hiccup, just tonight all of a sudden it keeps closing with an error everytime I go to bed. I assume my only option is to delete the game,re download, and kiss my sweet ass farm goodbye?

If I go straight to bed without doing anything it will save just fine. Seems once I venture out and come back to save it closes with the error. I'll try a new save file tomorrow and hold off on reinstalling it. Thanks.

Yep I had one of these today. Crash ate my Legend fish 😰

Tried the day twice for real, then ended up just going straight to bed after waking up and that day advanced. Fucken scared for a minute there.

Brakke

Banned
Summer Year 2 and I’ve hit capacity on my main field. I have 4 x 6 of these crop blocks, and two of those honey blocks.

7g1h0GL.jpg

Once the Starfruits mature, I’ll complete a Junimo Hut block down in the corner. Need a thunder storm to charge up a few more batteries so I can replace my braziers with lamp posts, and I need some paths and walls now that the farm’s settling in. Eventually the main field would be Iridium Sprinklers, but I spent all my irridium upgrading tools and setting up the Junimo Hut area; dunno if I’ll keep playing long enough to make that happen.

Two Deluxe Coops, one Deluxe Barn. Have some blue chickens, but I haven’t found a
Dino
egg yet. Completed Community Center on the first of the month, I had everything else except a dang Fiddlehead Fern since 1st Winter. One heart away from marrying Maru, and her birthday’s coming up.

nick_b

I was hoping to learn that through the game. Like when the old lady tells you her husband loves leeks. Is that feasible or do you only find out by trial and error?

She told me that and I immediately ran and gave him a spring onion because it I thought it was a leek. Wow he is grumpy.

TrutaS

I'm completely taken by this game, can't stop thinking about it. Absolutely loving it on the switch, I bring it to work and play at lunch-time, go back home play a bit on the couch and then put it on the TV when I feel like it.

oti

Banned
Summer Year 2 and I’ve hit capacity on my main field. I have 4 x 6 of these crop blocks, and two of those honey blocks.

7g1h0GL.jpg

Once the Starfruits mature, I’ll complete a Junimo Hut block down in the corner. Need a thunder storm to charge up a few more batteries so I can replace my braziers with lamp posts, and I need some paths and walls now that the farm’s settling in. Eventually the main field would be Iridium Sprinklers, but I spent all my irridium upgrading tools and setting up the Junimo Hut area; dunno if I’ll keep playing long enough to make that happen.

Two Deluxe Coops, one Deluxe Barn. Have some blue chickens, but I haven’t found a
Dino
egg yet. Completed Community Center on the first of the month, I had everything else except a dang Fiddlehead Fern since 1st Winter. One heart away from marrying Maru, and her birthday’s coming up.

You have to water everything yourself? I'd love to automate that process, but the sprinklers are pretty finicky and ugly to boot.

Sprinklers, even the medium quality ones are a game changer, days become much longer, second spring I went for a big plantation without them and I was wasting half of the day just in watering.

zigg

Sprinklers, even the medium quality ones are a game changer, days become much longer, second spring I went for a big plantation without them and I was wasting half of the day just in watering.
It seems like the entry-level ones aren't worth making though, yeah?

Real talk, I just want to befriend orcs and make them work my farm like in Rune Factory 😄

Greedings

I'm very tempted to pick it up, but it's one of those games I play obsessively for a week, drop for a day, then wonder why I was ever playing it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

Real talk, I just want to befriend orcs and make them work my farm like in Rune Factory 😄

I thought they were, I had a full field with just the base sprinklers at one point. Arrange the cross patterns tightly together like you're playing tetris to make it nicer and more efficient.

Never played harvest moon or star dew before . How much of this game is just farming ? Is there much dungeoning / town quests ?

Seems like a very slow game to get into .

Man I suck at this game. It's now my 2nd season (year 1), I am broke and my farm has only got the Coop upgrade :lol:

I also suck at fishing. I tend to fail @90% of the time.

Loving the game though :D

TheKeyPit

Banned
Thanks to the Switch release and this thread I finally got back to my farm on Xbox. Summer Year 3 is where I'm at right now and this is how it looks like since a couple of seasons:
df070a25-18a4-4c97-a04ypjb.png

My main income is selling wine(mainly Starfruit, but I'm slowly preparing the switch to
Ancient Fruit
). I'm selling Truffles, Goat Cheese and Honey, too. My farm is more of an Artisan Goods type.
What I'm trying to do right now is getting all the remaining achievements.

---
Edit: It's the Forest Farm.
---

(Next two shots as links)
https://abload.de/img/dc592053-74c3-4c82-bfgmqbb.png
https://abload.de/img/06f06fc9-8577-4754-b5ujofs.png

They're perfect for growing flowers for beehives as can be seen in my first screenshot.

Naar

How do i get rid of the decayed building next to my house? It's taking a lot of space and can't seem to be able to demolish it

TheKeyPit

Banned
How do i get rid of the decayed building next to my house? It's taking a lot of space and can't seem to be able to demolish it
Haha, you surely wouldn't want to demolish this one :D

It's the Greenhouse that can be unlocked by completing the Community Center or giving in to Joja EvilCorp.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I see. It's just that I'm running out of space. Is there a way to increase land size?
Are you using the Standard Farm? If that's so, I'd really like to see your farm. What are you doing that you're already running out of space?

+There is no way to increase land size.

Moose84

Would people recommend playing this for the first time at the same time as my Mario Odyssey playthrough? Is it the kind of game you put half an hour in every day or is the time investment longer?

I have this theory life sims would make a nice complement to meatier games like Mario, but I could be completely wrong.

sleepnaught

Are you using the Standard Farm? If that's so, I'd really like to see your farm. What are you doing that you're already running out of space?

I'm in my first year and half my farm is covered in crops with quality sprinklers. It's not difficult to imagine the other half easily taken up by barns, coops, and other stuff.

callmesteam

Neo Member
How do you move chests? Do they have to be empty? Can you pick up your dining room table? Right stick moves the cursor, but it won't let me pick them up. I can move furnaces and the TV and whatnot. Thanks!

Brakke

Banned
How do you move chests? Do they have to be empty? Can you pick up your dining room table? Right stick moves the cursor, but it won't let me pick them up. I can move furnaces and the TV and whatnot. Thanks!

Chests have to be empty, then you hit them with a tool like axe.

You can move furniture (except the bed maybe) but it’s kind of tricky. Make sure there’s nothing *on* your table first, then cursor over it and hit ‘Y’. Some furniture is placed like it’s a chest, some is placed using cursor and ‘Y’ (and can be rotated with ‘A’).

brad-t

The fishing in this game is great guys, just keep practicing! As you level up it will become easier to catch some more of the erratic fish, and you'll get used to the controls (which are kinda tricky at first). Probably one of my favourite fishing mini-game designs ever: simple enough to not be fatiguing but challenging enough to be engaging. Just wish there were more types of fish to catch, especially on the Riverland farm :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Honestly fences are pointless. Also I remember back in PC I can select what kind of farm I have, how come I can't here?

Right. Summer has finished and autumn has, er, fallen.

Rejigged the farm layout a bit and spent a few days mining gold. The result:

gDjTpP4.jpg

No need to do any watering for a while! Going to spend my fall harvesting crops, then going to look into my first house expansions and animals to keep I think! Got the 36 slot backpack too.

Hit Y to drop/pick up things one at a time.

I thought sprinklers can go farther more, like 4 tiles in all directions?

Fireblend

Banned
Honestly fences are pointless. Also I remember back in PC I can select what kind of farm I have, how come I can't here?
You can. It's on the right side of the character creation screen.

I thought sprinklers can go farther more, like 4 tiles in all directions?

Regular sprinklers water 4 adjacent tiles.

Mid-tier sprinklers water 8 adjacent tiles (diagonals).

The most expensive ones water 24 adjacent tiles (5 x 5 grid)

Teletraan1

Banned
I need iridium but can't survive even a couple floors down in
the skull cavern
:(

If you go to
Oasis
on Wed you can buy geodes that have a low chance of dropping Iridium ore and a lot of other junk. It isn't very cost effective mind you.

Naar

Running out of space? What does your farm look like? That really shouldn't be an issue, especially before you're able to have the greenhouse.

I mean I have space, especially if I reorganize my stuff, but would just like to expand

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Regular sprinklers water 4 adjacent tiles.

Mid-tier sprinklers water 8 adjacent tiles (diagonals).

The most expensive ones water 24 adjacent tiles (5 x 5 grid)
the wording is a bit vague

should have said 1 tile in all directions, etc.

Brakke

Banned
If you go to
Oasis
on Wed you can buy geodes that have a low chance of dropping Iridium ore and a lot of other junk. It isn't very cost effective mind you.

Also you should kill the slimes in Skull Cavern, they have a fair chance of dropping Iridium.

Any good riverland farm examples? I have made it to Winter, and I am sorta wishing I had gone with a different layout. Want to see something that really utilizes the space.

bosh

Middle of winter right now. Contemplating overhauling my farming area which has partial sprinklers to full sprinklers with the middle sprinkler. If I miss out on spring income it's not a huge concern if it means fall and summer and water free

Teletraan1

Banned
I am doing well on everything except Fishing, I totally suck at that and have yet to level up at all in that stat

Early on just try and learn the way the fish moves up and down the scale. You will get to know what fish you have on the line just by how they react. It is a little tricky at first. but seems to get easier with bait which gets you more casts to practice and tackle which adds all kinds of effects that can make things even easier as well as rod and skill upgrades.

As for how I actually do the game itself. I tap quickly to cover short distances. I reduce my tapping speed to level out. I further reduce my tapping speed to slowly lower the bar. I stop tapping to cover large distances fast. I hold the button in briefly to cover longer distances quickly. Eventually it all just clicks and you are doing these things when needed at the right rhythm and you are getting perfects on what seemed to be erratic fish when you first encountered them.
You don't want to let the bar just drop if the fish is dropping to the bottom as it will bounce a lot without a certain lure. You want to bring it down gently but quickly at the bottom so it bounces less. Some people are more button tappers some people are more holders just have to find what works for you.

TheKeyPit

Banned
The fishing in this game is great guys, just keep practicing! As you level up it will become easier to catch some more of the erratic fish, and you'll get used to the controls (which are kinda tricky at first). Probably one of my favourite fishing mini-game designs ever: simple enough to not be fatiguing but challenging enough to be engaging. Just wish there were more types of fish to catch, especially on the Riverland farm :(
different fish isn't enough? That's a good number, but if the game ever gets another content update I'd like to see some kind of deep sea fishing. Buy a ticket for 500g and get access to a boat that spawns you in the ocean and lets you fish for new types of fish. Add a new fishing rod for purchase and new bait, too. That would be cool.

nick_b

different fish isn't enough? That's a good number, but if the game ever gets another content update I'd like to see some kind of deep sea fishing. Buy a ticket for 500g and get access to a boat that spawns you in the ocean and lets you fish for new types of fish. Add a new fishing rod for purchase and new bait, too. That would be cool.

I need big catching. I need my animal crossing fix now. Bug catching would be dope. Maybe add an event tied to it with a contest for best bug.

Stencil

Is anyone having issues with gifting? On multiple occasions, I've selected the item I want to gift, gone to talk to the giftee, and the game says "You've already given ______ a gift today" which is definitely not the case. Is it a 24-hr (in game) thing?

Top Bottom