• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone in the US wants a Switch this week and doesn't mind bundling it with one of the following games:

- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Splatoon 2
- Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

You can purchase a Switch on GameStop's website right now for $359.99 (the same price as buying the system + one game separately) and it will be shipped out by the end of the week (September 8). Seems like now is a good time to grab one before the holiday rush.

I wonder why Gamestop feels the need to bundle in games that a customer is quite likely to buy anyway? Unless it's to ensure that you don't buy the system from them and then go purchase the game elsewhere?

Laws00

Wal Mart in Toms River NJ at like 7:15 AM

They had Destiny 2 PS4 pro bundles too

IMG_0720.jpg

I wonder why Gamestop feels the need to bundle in games that a customer is quite likely to buy anyway? Unless it's to ensure that you don't buy the system from them and then go purchase the game elsewhere?

It guarantees a little extra money in their pocket. They make more on software than hardware.

Plus, it helps deter scalpers, though I'm not sure how much they really care about that aspect.

It guarantees a little extra money in their pocket. They make more on software than hardware.

Plus, it helps deter scalpers, though I'm not sure how much they really care about that aspect.

I'm just surprised they wouldn't bundle in a game that may not be selling all that well to move that particularly stock. They're bundling in games that are highly likely to be purchased anyway.

I'm just surprised they wouldn't bundle in a game that may not be selling all that well to move that particularly stock. They're bundling in games that are highly likely to be purchased anyway.

Their bundles earlier in the year were worse. You'd usually get a game or two you'd want, but you'd also have to attach a controller, a guide book, season pass, etc.

The bundles have gotten better as stock has increased, because consumers now have more options. Though they're actually back to selling $399 bundles on their site now, so stock has likely started to slow down a bit again.

Their bundles earlier in the year were worse. You'd usually get a game or two you'd want, but you'd also have to attach a controller, a guide book, season pass, etc.

The bundles have gotten better as stock has increased, because consumers now have more options. Though they're actually back to selling $399 bundles on their site now, so stock has likely started to slow down a bit again.

Fair points, yes I remember their launch period bundles. Some of them actually weren't *that* bad, case in point they had a Zelda bundle which included the game, case, and DLC or something like that? Of course, it's not like that bundled price netted you any savings, but not bad if you were intending to pickup Zelda anyways.

Fair points, yes I remember their launch period bundles. Some of them actually weren't *that* bad, case in point they had a Zelda bundle which included the game, case, and DLC or something like that? Of course, it's not like that bundled price netted you any savings, but not bad if you were intending to pickup Zelda anyways.

Yeah, compared to some of the ridiculous bundles they've done in years past, their Switch offerings have been pretty tame overall.

Spacebar

I went to a trade place called 2nd and Charles today. Traded in some old books and games Saw they had 1 neon switch and decided to pick it up. Downloading Zelda now.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
After months of toying with the idea of getting one, and not wanting a Gamestop bundle due to not wanting Zelda or Mario Kart which I have on WiiU, I caved and bought a Walmart Splatoon 2 Bundle. Whether I keep it or gift it is something I need to consider.

They are in stock online for the time being. It's also fairly easy to use the GS in store locator to get one, but why drive when you can have one delivered.

F34R

Look what showed up at my local wal mart today:

Two of 'em. $379.99 each of course. I ALMOST grabbed them lol.

Have they done any updates to the hardware? I heard some had problems with the one Joy-Con having connection issues and some fearing the screen might get scratched from docking/undocking. Or were these just overblown issues?

Amazon (Canada) has them in stock but it's a bit shady, you need Prime.

Look what showed up at my local wal mart today:

Two of 'em. $379.99 each of course. I ALMOST grabbed them lol.

Did the Splatoon bundle just hit the US now or has it been out for a while? What does it have besides the game that warrants the $20 markup? Edit: nevermind, googled it. It's a carrying case http://www.usgamer.net/articles/walmart-started-selling-the-nintendo-switch-splatoon-2-bundle-today

I wonder how many of these Nintendo is shipping in the US.

Edit 2: Oh it's Walmart exclusive.

Nintendo.com said:
Walmart will be the exclusive retail partner for a new Nintendo Switch bundle that includes a download code for the Splatoon 2 game, a fresh carrying case and colorful new Joy-Con controllers in Neon Pink and Neon Green. The bundle will be available starting Sept. 8 at a suggested retail price of $379.99 and offers fans in North America their first chance to get their hands on that Joy-Con color combination.

Demoskinos

Got in on those $359 bundles at Gamestop. Got a switch with Mario + Rabbids on the way. It fucking sucks though I have to wait an extra day b/c Sunday. They sent it out last night and it made it to my local UPS station about an hourish away today but obv won't be sent out for delivery until Monday.

:(

PrimeBeef

I have seen unbundled grey and neon units at multiple Target, Meijer, and Wal-Mart stores in metro Detroit over the last three weeks. I'm talking at least 3-5 total on shelves and at least one neon each store. Took me by surprise. Still holding off until after graduation in July.

PrimeBeef

Got in on those $359 bundles at Gamestop. Got a switch with Mario + Rabbids on the way. It fucking sucks though I have to wait an extra day b/c Sunday. They sent it out last night and it made it to my local UPS station about an hourish away today but obv won't be sent out for delivery until Monday.

:(
If you have a choice choose USPS priority. They deliver on Sundays.

norm9

That Mario bundle looks great but it's a digital copy of the game. Been in the market for a Switch so I can take back mine that I have "lent" for months to my lil nephew.

dc89

The last UK shipment must have been a biggie.

Amazon has both colours in stock.
ShopTo has both colours in stock.
10 Argos stores near me all have stock for immediate collection.

patchday

I got a Switch last night by paying for it online and then picking it up at my Best Buy. But the first Best Buy I went to had sold out but told me they were having some event Sunday morning when the new shipment arrives. They were expecting a line and crap. Hope it doesnt turn into a street battle where people trying to cut each other in line

I'm in the NA ofc

Ravelle

Come to the Netherland, we got a whole pallet of switch here :p

IMG_20170903_122016.jpg

Yep, Switches In the Netherlands can be found in any toy and electronic store as well as most online store fronts. It's so bizarre to see the US be a wasteland of Switch shortage.

Yep, Switches In the Netherlands can be found in any toy and electronic store as well as most online store fronts. It's so bizarre to see the US be a wasteland of Switch shortage.

The United States is 237 times larger than the Netherlands.

Edit - and over 19 times larger in terms of population.

Are Switches still hard to find in stores? I see four grey Switch boxes out in the display case at Target at Northgate Mall in Seattle. Just in case this info is useful.

What does that mean? You think Nintendo shipped as many switches to Holland as to the US?

My point is comparing the stock and supply/demand situation between the Netherlands and the US makes little to no sense.

The US is a massive country and the Switch stock situation can vary wildly from place to place because of that.

There's other factors to consider as well, such as NA historically being one of Nintendo's two strongest markets, so demand for their products in this country will pretty much always be higher than almost anywhere in Europe.

joeblow

Whoever's in the area, I snagged an unbundled unit from Best Buy in Pasadena CA for my daughter by showing up when they opened. Three units were left.

There's worldwide shortages, the bizarre thing is the apparent overstock in the Netherlands.

Crowza

I've been seeing them in stock everywhere for the past three months in brick and mortar stores (Wal-Mart, Target, GameStop, etc.)... Did I miss something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom