• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The direction of Sony's next-generation game machine "PlayStation 5"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin

Banned
If accurate we finally learn why they went with Jaguar instead of Steamroller -

Some interesting tidbits here. Thanks for posting.

That's the thing I find so interesting so many details about the background that wasn't known previously.
It really requires a proper read to grasp it all.

newbong95

Indeed, SIE is rumored to have stopped the traditional game machine development method that completely renews the hardware and software platform. SIE is also said to develop the next generation game machine with a similar approach to Xbox One X. And, with that flow, it is speculated that it is headed towards a direction of continuing with AMD.

interesting rumour

Q8D3vil

I'm ok with ps5 at 2018 or 2019 as long as it fully backward compatible with all ps4 games (including psn games).

Sanctuary

So many already predicted 2020, but regardless, I don't understand this:

Xbox One X's pattern predicts the pattern of evolution of future game machines.

Didn't Sony take the lead with the Pro and MS simply followed? Plus, why are they calling the XboneX "Next gen" when it's still going to be strangled by the OG Xbone?

Vashetti

Banned
I'm ok with ps5 at 2018 or 2019 as long as it fully backward compatible with all ps4 games (including psn games).

No difference between them.

People assume 'digital' is some magical thing. It's still a PS4 game coded to run on PS4 hardware.

Didn't Sony take the lead with the Pro and MS simply followed? Plus, why are they calling the XboneX "Next gen" when it's still going to be strangled by the OG Xbone?

According to MS they didn't know about Pro when 'Scorpio' development started.

Shin

Banned
Didn't Sony take the lead with the Pro and MS simply followed?

It's referring to Xbox seeing iterations instead of generations like Cerny considers.
Though Cerny is only system architect, how the platform evolves isn't up to him.
So there might have been some change within SIE which is what it sounded like when Kaz said they are discussing it internally which direction to take.

Carn82

Well, Cerny still believes in generations. I'm willing to bet money on PS5 being backwards compatible, but it being zen based will make it a 'next generation'.

newbong95

On the architecture, the GPU core is AMD's next-generation "Vega" or "Navi", the CPU core will be described later but AMD's latest "ZEN" system CPU core or "Jaguar Jaguar) "system CPU core. In the memory, whether or not the stacked DRAM will come is a point, but there is a high possibility that the cost reduction of the HBM 2 will not be in time. Another important point is whether to make it VR ready, what to do with deep learning inference (reasoning), and so on.

machine learning in ps5?

dr_rus

Hiroshige Goto's speculation is really boring as in he just takes what AMD have on their roadmaps and tries to build a new console from these parts.

And I can totally see Sony going exactly this way, unfortunately.

Sanctuary

The PS4 came out in 2013...

2019 would be 6 years.

As much as I agree with the sentiment that last gen was "too long", look at how long it actually took this gen to start rolling out games that weren't simply remaster stopgaps. This gen has been the gen of massive delays. This year and next year will most likely be the two peak years as well.

Carn82

Raven ridge is supposed to be out late this year or early next. That's the first commercial 4 core zen/vega based APU if I recall correctly. Should be fun to see those benchmarks.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
don't make a thread on dubious rumours churned through Google Translate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom