• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Pokémon Go Could Be A Death Sentence For A Black Man

Mory Dunz

City High
Alton Park Middle
Calvin Donaldson Elementary

Nice try though, lol. Have a good weekend.

...i wasn't trying to "catch" you. wtf...
Being from chattanooga the first thing people always ask is MC or Baylor. That was the joke

I was even half agreeing with while lurking. Well kinda. I see both sides.
Personally I don't think it's mutually exclusive to believe something happens way too much, and needs some sort of systematic change with regulations, but at the same time not often enough to severely affect my day-to-day living and actions.

Acerac

Banned
I am asking legitimately, what is this supposed to mean? This is not the first time that I read something like this in the last few days and I find it somewhat a strange thing to say.

I took it to mean that those who have been playing the game a lot know what the article is saying, while those who haven't been playing the game would not understand, as they've not had scared old men take pictures of them trying to catch a weedle.

Yeah, I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you are scared then you have no business being a cop. Period.

I try to explain this to as many people as possible. Even policemen. The vast majority agree, even the few good policemen I know.

You go into the job knowing that you are putting your life on the line for the citizens of your community. Make your peace with that and do your job bravely. If for whatever reason you become afraid down the line and can't handle it level headedly then get out. The vast majority of Police shootings of innocent civilians occur because either,

A, The cop is a corrupt racist sociopath.

B, The cop is afraid.

I think these two reasons feed on each other but I do think that the majority is that police officers are afraid. I also think a lot of it has to do with lack of self confidence and physical fitness. Too many people join in the beginning because of their ego and domineering attitudes only to find that they don't actually have the balls to stay calm and level headed during civilian encounters but it's fun to boss people around.

I have had many close encounters with scared policemen where I really think the outcome would have been different if I had not been white.

I was working one day tiling a Gas America and I traditionally carry this knife,
last_alarm___gerber_silver_trident_knife_by_firemanjim-d697tfc.jpg

while I'm on the job both as a tool and for protection as I have suffered through way to many robberies and threats of harm to my person or others but I don't really feel like going through the trouble of carrying a gun. Now, this knife is the complete opposite of concealed lol as it looks huge in it's sheath on my hip, which is the point.

Anyhow, it was getting late so I went outside and called my wife to tell her goodnight while walking back and forth beside the gas station.

This officer pulled up whom later I found out was just there to get a drink and saw me in my wife beater and something strapped to my hip. I just kept talking to my wife like normal. He got out of the car and shone his light at my face and asked me what I was doing. I couldn't see a thing lol. I was like, "You talking to me? I'm just talking to my wife telling her goodnight before I go back inside and finish up the tile. My father and I are re tiling the gas station." He asks me to put the phone away and to walk towards him and because I know how he may react I freeze and make sure to make no sudden movements and tell him, "Sir I just want to let you know that I have a knife on my side that I use for work and protection in case you didn't see it." I had turned so that he could clearly see it with his flashlight and even pointed it out. lol. He reiterates what he said before and so I tell my wife what is happening really quick and not to freak out and that I would call her back. I hung up, kept the phone in my hands and my hands held out to my sides. I slowly walk towards him and as soon as I get maybe 7 feet from him he suddenly pulls his gun on me, points it at my face and starts shouting, "Don't come any closer! Raise your hands above your head!" a few times and then radios in for back up saying that I am armed with a "F'ing gigantic knife" in a panicked voice all while his flashlight and gun are still pointed at my friggin head. I immediately sigh, freeze and slowly raise my hands above my head assuming the position ahead of time. I know the role lol. Almost immediately the gas station was literally swarming with police cruisers... I counted at least 7... for me...

So the officers asked me my story, never asked me to give up my weapon or anything, and some other officers went inside and got my dad and he corroborated the whole thing.

The officer that first stopped me then came up to me and said you know having a knife that size on you is illegal right? I looked at him in the face, I was pretty miffed he drew his gun on me, and quoted the code that stated that it was perfectly legal. The senior officer on the scene was standing right next to him and just started laughing at the other officer. He said, "Welp, he got you there," and just walked away shaking his head.

Heck, they even asked the gas station manager if she wanted me to take the knife off when I was inside and she explicitly said that she wanted me to keep wearing it, that since I had been there "snatch and grabs" had been practically non existent and it made the workers feel better.

All that said. I really think that it is sad that if I had not been a white guy in the same situation things could have gone extremely differently. It breaks my heart that a man of different race would have to fear for his life more than others while trying to carry protection/a tool in the same manner I did, doing the same thing I was and exorcising the same "freedoms" I was. I mean it was almost lights out for me as it was being white for goodness sakes. SMH.

Delio

This almost makes me want to just stop playing it and wait for Pokemon Sun later. I do keep an eye out when cops are around just incase they get jumpy about something random. It shouldnt be that way of course but gotta do what you have to.

I took it to mean that those who have been playing the game a lot know what the article is saying, while those who haven't been playing the game would not understand, as they've not had scared old men take pictures of them trying to catch a weedle.

Ohhhhh ot as in "Official Topic" and not as in the "Off-Topic" section of GAF. That would make much sense, thanks! I think that when I read something similar yesterday it might have been referencing Off-Topic. Still, he wrote "in ot" and not "in the ot" so it might have cleared up things for me if he used the later (if that's what he meant).

...i wasn't trying to "catch" you. wtf...
Being from chattanooga the first thing people always ask is MC or Baylor. That was the joke

I was even half agreeing with while lurking. Well kinda. I see both sides.
Personally I don't think it's mutually exclusive to believe something happens way too much, and needs some sort of systematic change with regulations, but at the same time not often enough to severely affect my day-to-day living and actions.

Sorry, my mistake. I was still in defense mode. Anyhow like I said I'm out. Just wanted to apologize to you.

Roshin

Across the road from where I work is a large area owned by the military. Obviously, you're not allowed to jump the fence, but just walking around outside waving a phone/camera around is likely to attract some attention.

Yeah, I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you are scared then you have no business being a cop. Period.

I try to explain this to as many people as possible. Even policemen. The vast majority agree, even the few good policemen I know.

You go into the job knowing that you are putting your life on the line for the citizens of your community. Make your peace with that and do your job bravely. If for whatever reason you become afraid down the line and can't handle it level headedly then get out. The vast majority of Police shootings of innocent civilians occur because either,

B, The cop is afraid.

I think these two reasons feed on each other but I do think that the majority is that police officers are afraid. I also think a lot of it has to do with lack of self confidence and physical fitness. Too many people join in the beginning because of their ego and domineering attitudes only to find that they don't actually have the balls to stay calm and level headed during civilian encounters but it's fun to boss people around.

I have had many close encounters with scared policemen where I really think the outcome would have been different if I had not been white.

I was working one day tiling a Gas America and I traditionally carry this knife,

while I'm on the job both as a tool and for protection as I have suffered through way to many robberies and threats of harm to my person or others but I don't really feel like going through the trouble of carrying a gun. Now, this knife is the complete opposite of concealed lol as it looks huge in it's sheath on my hip, which is the point.

Anyhow, it was getting late so I went outside and called my wife to tell her goodnight while walking back and forth beside the gas station.

This officer pulled up whom later I found out was just there to get a drink and saw me in my wife beater and something strapped to my hip. I just kept talking to my wife like normal. He got out of the car and shone his light at my face and asked me what I was doing. I couldn't see a thing lol. I was like, "You talking to me? I'm just talking to my wife telling her goodnight before I go back inside and finish up the tile. My father and I are re tiling the gas station." He asks me to put the phone away and to walk towards him and because I know how he may react I freeze and make sure to make no sudden movements and tell him, "Sir I just want to let you know that I have a knife on my side that I use for work and protection in case you didn't see it." I had turned so that he could clearly see it with his flashlight and even pointed it out. lol. He reiterates what he said before and so I tell my wife what is happening really quick and not to freak out and that I would call her back. I hung up, kept the phone in my hands and my hands held out to my sides. I slowly walk towards him and as soon as I get maybe 7 feet from him he suddenly pulls his gun on me, points it at my face and starts shouting, "Don't come any closer! Raise your hands above your head!" a few times and then radios in for back up saying that I am armed with a "F'ing gigantic knife" in a panicked voice all while his flashlight and gun are still pointed at my friggin head. I immediately sigh, freeze and slowly raise my hands above my head assuming the position ahead of time. I know the role lol. Almost immediately the gas station was literally swarming with police cruisers... I counted at least 7... for me...

So the officers asked me my story, never asked me to give up my weapon or anything, and some other officers went inside and got my dad and he corroborated the whole thing.

The officer that first stopped me then came up to me and said you know having a knife that size on you is illegal right? I looked at him in the face, I was pretty miffed he drew his gun on me, and quoted the code that stated that it was perfectly legal. The senior officer on the scene was standing right next to him and just started laughing at the other officer. He said, "Welp, he got you there," and just walked away shaking his head.

Heck, they even asked the gas station manager if she wanted me to take the knife off when I was inside and she explicitly said that she wanted me to keep wearing it, that since I had been there "snatch and grabs" had been practically non existent and it made the workers feel better.

All that said. I really think that it is sad that if I had not been a white guy in the same situation things could have gone extremely differently. It breaks my heart that a man of different race would have to fear for his life more than others while trying to carry protection/a tool in the same manner I did, doing the same thing I was and exorcising the same "freedoms" I was. I mean it was almost lights out for me as it was being white for goodness sakes. SMH.
BRUH.

Glad you're still alive man. Indeed it's the fear. I believe that fear is exacerbated by racial inexperience and stereotypes (and simple racism where applicable). Further complicated by the fact that most officers do not live in the communities they police, creating an "us vs them" mentality between officers and those they are to protect.

As Snoop once so eloquently said,

"If you scared, go to church."

Law enforcement has no place for those who aren't committed to protecting and preserving every life they come across to the best of their abilities, and sometimes at risk to their own health in the process. Protect and serve is the mantra. Too often citizens are treated as enemy combatants; foreigners without name or value instead of neighbors and friends. If you're too afraid of people to handle the occasional risky situation without freaking the fuck out and scaring people half to death, find a new profession.

Can't wait for the real baddies to use pokemon go as the go to excuse for their night adventures. :D

Well, if cops get called often enough for situations that end up just being Pokemon Go, police force might all be made aware of the game and what it involves by some kind of memos or something. The excuse might get accepted faster by cops within a few weeks. I also thought about what you wrote. Who knows, it might get a few baddies out of trouble. Police being properly aware of the game should also help a lot of not baddies resolve police interactions faster too! This whole thing is fascinating and as with a lot of things, good and bad will come out of it. Let's hope the good trumps the bad by a lot!

Mediking

B, The cop is afraid.

Dang!!! I'm so sorry that happened! I would be so bitter at the police if I was you.

Neiteio

It’s sad but true.

A game like this, where you’re poking around strange places looking suspicious with a device in your hands, will provoke the police. And if you’re black or hispanic, you’re statistically more likely to get hurt in the exchange that follows, no matter how well you comply. It’s a serious issue that needs to be addressed in this country.

At the same time, as President Obama said, it should be noted that the vast, vast, vast majority of police are perfectly good people. I myself have been working with multiple police jurisdictions in my work as a reporter for around seven years now. The average cop is just as terrified of what’s going on as anyone else.

Depending on how widespread this game becomes, it almost seems like police should brief their officers on the possibility that someone may be using their phone to play an AR game, and that may be why they’re walking around strange places with their phone out. Most adults haven’t heard of this concept before.

SeanR1221

I'm so used to living in an area that's pretty much half black half white that stories like this are always weird to me.

Not saying I don't believe them since they obviously happen, I just can't relate at all to seeing people get upset/nervous around black dudes just being there.

poodaddy

This is true, but honestly I don't think being black has much to do with it; the game just encourages suspicious ass behavior. If you're circling my house over and over again I'll probably either head out to talk to you about wtf you're doing or call the police, and that's regardless of skin color. I think this game will cause a lot of awkwardness for a lot of people.

Neiteio

Oh man, I just had a worrying thought about one of my best friends, who is black.

I'm a tall individual at 6'2". My friend is taller than me. He's also about 100 pounds heavier and dresses in baggy clothing. He's an intimidating-looking guy — but you will not find a gentler giant.

And he fucking loves Pokemon. He's probably playing this game, and probably late at night since he works some odd hours... I feel like I should send a text.

kewlmyc

Yeah, maybe there's some truth to this. I'm black and I think one of my neighbors was about to call the police as I was looking for a pokemon in the wild grass that appeared on my street. She just kept looking out the window at me with a cellphone in her hands and when I made I contact with her, she would close the blinds.

Maybe I'm just overthinking things. Heck, it probably would have happened even if i wasn't black.

B, The cop is afraid.

Man, that's fucked up. That tweaked out cop could have easily killed you. Piece of shit was even talking out of ass with the knife laws. No doubt he would've changed the story if he did shoot you.

anothertech

According to cdc, 60% of gun related violence by law enforcement in the US happens to white non Hispanic males. Less than 30% happens to black non Hispanic males.

A lot of this sentiment is a hype machine created by the media for one agenda or another.

No matter the race, beliefs, or ethnicity, any kind of actions that make us worry like this is unacceptable.

But we have to be reasonable, no matter who you are or what you look like, black, white, Hispanic, Asian, or Muslim, wearing a hoodie at the park at 3am looks pretty shady. So be careful out there.

Chaos17

Definitely something to take into consideration.

And not to derail, but it's not all doom and gloom!

Cm3Rv_hW8AA8LnW.jpg:orig

I totaly agree, I've read many testemonies of good encounters just avoid going after midnight to catch pokemon. I mean that's common sense, lol
Many Pokemon players met cops (got pulled over after circulating in circle between churches which are gyms XD) and usualy it was friendly encounters even some cops do play the game!

Just play safe and I already told that to that author in her article.
Let's not fall into paranoia, not all cops are cowards and jerks and my reading of Pokemon Go stories proven me that.

Neiteio

This is true, but honestly I don't think being black has much to do with it; the game just encourages suspicious ass behavior. If you're circling my house over and over again I'll probably either head out to talk to you about wtf you're doing or call the police, and that's regardless of skin color. I think this game will cause a lot of awkwardness for a lot of people.
Yeah, but the point is you're more likely to get hurt in the police encounter that follows if you're a person of color.

The reality is the vast majority of cops would risk their own life to save another, regardless of skin color. But the thing is, you never know when you're dealing with a good cop. Hence the fear in the African-American and Latino communities.

There have been so many horrible shootings in recent years that entire ethnic groups have to live in fear that even the most innocuous of police encounters will turn lethal... And that's sad.

Opt1kon_

A person who has been lit on fire runs up to robertlebrone, screaming for help.

robertlebrone informs this person that it's wrong to see fire, and that a lot of problems in the world today are caused by people insisting that there are differences between on-fire and not-on-fire people.

+1

Sadly I went through a situation a couple of days ago, while I wasn't in danger I was with 5 other friends two of my African American friends including myself, & My Caucasian friend and his Filipino GF, the police officers kept driving around the block looking at us while we played PokemonGo , & while there was no immediate danger I felt that if it were just myself and the other two African American friends we would've been questioned

Johndoey

Banned
Bullshit. Being black means people are just that bit quicker to assume your a criminal, cops are less likely to give you any amount of leeway, less likely to hear you out. Quicker to pull a gun on you.

Wow, I just had this conversation with a friend (white). He talked about how he was walking around the yards of nearby apartment complexes catching Pokémon and asked what was near me. I laughed and told him I'm not doing that because I don't want the police called on me.

mechphree

HELL NO I wouldn't play Pokemon Go.

As much as I would like to, I know better. I currently live in Detroit in what some would call a "urban area" or whatever. I'm about 12 minutes away from down town.

The second I go snooping or appear to be snooping by some one's house or walking down the street pausing and stopping that will be a cause of concern.

Being black, I have heard every single excuse for police interaction you can think of.

"You look like you had a gun"
"You look like you had drugs"
"You looked suspicious"
"You looked like you fit the description"
"Your bike/car looks like it was stolen"
"You look like you are in a gang"

Since moving from Chicago to Detroit I've been stopped no less then 4 times by police for mere driving. And back in Chicago I used to literally get stopped constantly for just walking around my own neighborhood.

It sucks but I'm honestly not about to risk my life for a game. I know for others they may have had nice and peaceful interactions with police, or maybe even look at them as their friends when they need them. But for MANY of us...not ALL but many we see them in a different light.

On a side note I wish I could catch a Dragonite. Lol.

Chaos17

HELL NO I wouldn't play Pokemon Go.

As much as I would like to, I know better. I currently live in Detroit in what some would call a "urban area" or whatever. I'm about 12 minutes away from down town.

The second I go snooping or appear to be snooping by some one's house or walking down the street pausing and stopping that will be a cause of concern.

Being black, I have heard every single excuse for police interaction you can think of.

"You look like you had a gun"
"You look like you had drugs"
"You looked suspicious"
"You looked like you fit the description"
"Your bike/car looks like it was stolen"
"You look like you are in a gang"

Since moving from Chicago to Detroit I've been stopped no less then 4 times by police for mere driving. And back in Chicago I used to literally get stopped constantly for just walking around my own neighborhood.

It sucks but I'm honestly not about to risk my life for a game. I know for others they may have had nice and peaceful interactions with police, or maybe even look at them as their friends when they need them. But for MANY of us...not ALL but many we see them in a different light.

On a side note I wish I could catch a Dragonite. Lol.

Poor ya, that make me think of guy on Reddit that has been know from the police since he started Ingress (similar game like Pokemon Go) for cycling around town XD Yet, it didn't discouraged the player since now he play Pokemon Go, still live in same town and see same cops, lol

I hope one day, you will have the chance to meet cops that will understand your passion and let you play freely.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That could happen to anyone playing a game on their phone/tablet or simply texting/talking. You can be oblivious to the world. But back to the article it's true and quite the possibility that the latter of his points can become a reality.

Yea I played an AR game trying to win the Droid X some years ago. My neighborhood was mostly Black, Latino, Hispanic. But I also played in open areas not near any houses or cars.

People probably thought I was a nature nut more than anything.

This is also the neighborhood I got robbed in but still....

Palmer27

Never would have considered this and was honestly a bit taken aback by the title.

Having read the article and then thought about it, the author's raising a very real fear: considering the statistical risks for blacks. Racial tensions sound like a recent high, with not just the depressingly expected shootings of blacks but now white cops being shot and celebrated.
I'm curious (I'm from the UK) where the author lives and what race relations are like there?

shandy706

Well, the stuff in the OP isn't wrong sadly.

Granted it would be unusual to see anyone of any skin color going through my yard (front or back). I'd probably confront you even if you were a white guy in slacks and a polo. LOL

I have two young daughters, get the #$&! out of my yard. (The back yard is fenced in) X-D

Socreges

Banned
It doesn't in mine. Videogames are videogames. People are people. We are having all these problems now because people want to see themselves as different from one another and assume the worst about anyone that's not them. Never have done that and never will do that.
Which city do you live in?

Neiteio

It just feels like another attempt to link tragic current events to video game news, which is tasteless and clickbaity.
That's fine you have that opinion, but in my opinion I actually think there's a valid point this time. Pokemon Go asks players to do things that might look odd to others (i.e. poking around places in public), and we've seen just this past week how quickly that can lead to trouble if you're of color and confuse a cop.

shangolin

Banned

If you're too afraid of people to handle the occasional risky situation without freaking the fuck out and scaring people half to death, find a new profession.

I mean, this sounds a whole lot like "don't be such a wuss," which does nobody any good. A person doesn't join the marines as a grizzled, fearless, ethical fighter, so I'm not sure why people think cops should only recruit such individuals as if they exist in a long line waiting to join the police force. The main problem here is a lack of rigorous training. And that directly stems from a lack of funding, especially in urban environments where tax money doesn't cover the vast needs of a city, whether it's safety or education or public services. We want the best, most ethical, most highly trained police force in the world, but we don't want to have to pay for it. Cops should just "know better" and "not be scared" and "do the right thing?" It's really not that simple.

Long ass story.

Throwing aside any of the other questions I have, carrying a "big knife" seems pretty counteractive to "protecting yourself" at a gas station. If some guy has a gun and you pull a knife on him, odds are he'll just put a bullet in you. If some guy also has a knife, maybe he runs, but what if he doesn't? Are you going to knife fight the guy? If he never had a weapon in the first place? Wouldn't threatening to call the police do just as well?

Seems pretty silly.

Chaos17

Honestly, I hope you will be able to one day to have nice meeting like this when you will play the game you like just like Pokemngo players are enjoying right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbEbpXZhzRM&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6Q9dynAcY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCWL-dKMU1I

A couple people in at my local park put down some lures close together and it ended up causing a random meet up! About 30 random people grouped up to catch pokemon!
8uX9VAy.jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/...ple_people_in_at_my_local_park_put_down_some/

*Wish people to be happy*

There's a thread in Off Topic about someone finding a body playing Pokémon Go, and this concern was brought up. The game definitely might encourage some individuals to trespass on private property, and something like that certainly won't always end well.

I found myself yesterday standing in an alley outside of an open garage with my cellphone pointed towards it. caught myself than said oh shit and left without anyone seeing me. yes this game can get you into trouble.

Neiteio

I found myself yesterday standing in an alley outside of an open garage with my cellphone pointed towards it. caught myself than said oh shit and left without anyone seeing me. yes this game can get you into trouble.
I'm guessing there's no warning at the beginning of the app to be mindful of your surroundings and not do anything that would get you in trouble?

Easy lawsuit incoming

Top Bottom