• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

parabolee

Those button graphics look kinda out of place. Did the 360 version use similar ones?

I think they look nicer than the original 360 ones myself -

Deadly-Premonition3.png

deadly-premonition-xbox-360-062.jpg

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Shouldn't they be paying us for working on their game?

Grief.exe

My controller support pack is ready!

247660_2013-11-04_00001.png

That icon resolution is so low.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't create high-res assets, then downsample them to the resolution you need.

Just doesn't make any sense from a design perspective. They obviously created the asset for the map, then upcaled it for that display.

I think they look nicer than the original 360 ones myself -

deadly-premonition-xbox-360-062.jpg

I agree, those are ugly.

Durante

Texture overrides work great over here as well, both the ones from the blog and my own. Was messing around with replacing the fonts with something better. We'll see if anything comes out of it.
Do release it if it works out, the high-res font pack was one of the few texture mods I always used in Dark Souls.

stn

Would I be able to DL the controller support fix without DL'ing Dante's resolution patch? I don't even have the game yet but am just exploring options. Thanks.

Durante

Would I be able to DL the controller support fix without DL'ing Dante's resolution patch? I don't even have the game yet but am just exploring options. Thanks.
You could use a controller mapper without DPfix, but you wouldn't get the correct button prompts in-game.

The question is, of course, why wouldn't you use DPfix? :p

stn

Thank you. I didn't know that the DPfix also fixed controller-related issues. In all honesty, I'm just horrible at installing mods and patches. I'd probably screw something up. I'm itching to play this game but I have a bad feeling it'll just crash on me and irritate me to no end. Think I'll wait for a huge sale or some kind of improved stability. Still, though, your work is amazing, man. They should hire you.

Yuripaw

Banned

I really appreciate all the effort that went into working on this, but I must report that I'm not really getting much of the functionality to work. I followed all your steps, and the only thing that seems to work for me is the movement. I can use both sticks on my wired xb360 controller, but none of the button prompts work.

I'm using pinnacle game profiler.

Foaloal

I really appreciate all the effort that went into working on this, but I must report that I'm not really getting much of the functionality to work. I followed all your steps, and the only thing that seems to work for me is the movement. I can use both sticks on my wired xb360 controller, but none of the button prompts work.

I have a feeling you're using his profile which requires custom remapping of the keys in the DPLauncher.exe

parabolee

Have you remapped the controls in the Launcher in the past? These new profiles require the default mappings. Just go into the Launcher settings and restore to default.

Let me know if it works.

Thank you. I didn't know that the DPfix also fixed controller-related issues. In all honesty, I'm just horrible at installing mods and patches. I'd probably screw something up. I'm itching to play this game but I have a bad feeling it'll just crash on me and irritate me to no end. Think I'll wait for a huge sale or some kind of improved stability. Still, though, your work is amazing, man. They should hire you.
1. Download DSFix
2. Unzip DSFix into the DP folder.
3. Type either 1 or 0 in a text document and save it. You just modded your first game! *

* If you want to make a controller work, there are more steps.

1. Plug in your controller.
2. Use a program such as Pinnacle or Xpadder to make the computer recognize your controller no matter what. These are not freeware. Make sure you've mapped it according to DS's settings.
3. Type one 1 in a text document and save it.
4. Run game!

parabolee

DPfix is actually much easier to set up than the controller mod. Less steps. Just copy into the DP directory (where DP.exe is) and you are done. Then open the DFfix.ini and make any changes you require (as in choose a resolution and turn on texture override ect).

It's honestly super duper easy. Any crashes you get are more likely to be the buggy game than the DPfix's fault.

Just follow the directions and you should not have any problems. And if you do, we'll be here to help you out :)

Stupid Amazon haven't dispatched my pre-order yet and it's now saying 1-2 months! :(
What the hell is going on?! Very strange. I wanted the disk version to go with the 360 & PS3 disks i have.

I might have at other stores tonight and cancel the Amazon order if i find any physical copies about.

parabolee

Stupid Amazon haven't dispatched my pre-order yet and it's now saying 1-2 months! :(
What the hell is going on?! Very strange. I wanted the disk version to go with the 360 & PS3 disks i have.

I might have at other stores tonight and cancel the Amazon order if i find any physical copies about.

There's a disk version? Might have to get that.

EDIT: Can't find it. Do you have a link?

Grief.exe

If you have issues with installing DSfix or DPfix I think you have more to worry about than just playing video games.

golem09

Neo Member
Here you go dude. It crashed for me the first time, so I tried setting compatibility mode to windows 98/ME(lol) since this was a ps2 game, and then after a couple tries loading the game, it let me play. I skipped the cutscene as fast as I could and saved at the phone in the parking lot.

Hope it works for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65208274/dp.sav

I made another savegame for anyone that has a crash at the chapter 9 cutscene:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl8e8pz8bue39cp/dp.sav

My main reason for uploading this is that I cleared the Questlines of George and Anna's Mother for the
radio and infinite wrench (Best weapon in the game)
in this savegame. Thought someone would like that.
Btw, has the crash happened for anyone with w98 compatibility?

Parsnip

Here you go, feel free to use if it pleases your eyes. The font is called DejaVu Sans Mono.

Had to move the font a few pixels up to make more room for the font descenders (the part that goes under the baseline on lowercase y and g for example), so as a result it's slightly more misaligned with the button prompts than the vanilla font is. Which is already somewhat misaligned. I don't know if there's any fudge room in the icon textures to align them better, I might take a look at it but I'm not sure it bothers me that much.

It's funny, even the vanilla font descenders get cropped-off in the game text. Turns out Japanese don't care about descenders.

That third image is the texture file with the right name, just save that as-is in the tex_override folder.

I haven't played the game any further than the red room, so it's very untested.

parabolee

Here you go, feel free to use if it pleases your eyes. The font is called DejaVu Sans Mono.

Had to move the font a few pixels up to make more room for the font descenders (the part that goes under the baseline on lowercase y and g for example), so as a result it's slightly more misaligned with the button prompts than the vanilla font is. Which is already somewhat misaligned. I don't know if there's any fudge room in the icon textures to align them better, I might take a look at it but I'm not sure it bothers me that much.

It's funny, even the vanilla font descenders get cropped-off in the game text. Turns out Japanese don't care about descenders.

That third image is the texture file with the right name, just save that as-is in the tex_override folder.

I haven't played the game any further than the red room, so it's very untested.

Awesome!

We will slowly but surely make this an excellent version of the game :)

Now if there was only a way to stop all the crashes. I have only had 3 and a reboot usually fixes them, but they still suck.

Durante

About texture scaling:
If you change the size of textures used in 3D rendering, you need to store the replacement as a DDS file with mipmaps generated, otherwise the game will mess up.

Nvidia offers a free plugin for Photoshop (and programs compatible with Photoshop plugins) for generating DDS files (make sure to checkmark "generate mipmaps").

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Anyone know how I dump textures? I'm looking for the key to do so but I can't find it in the ini or the keybinding ini, and I want to make sure the new text aligns with how the old one is supposed to.

parabolee

Well I'm working on that now!

Awesome!

Anyone know how I dump textures? I'm looking for the key to do so but I can't find it in the ini or the keybinding ini, and I want to make sure the new text aligns with how the old one is supposed to.

You just need to change this line to a 1 in the DPfix.ini -

# enables texture dumping
# you *only* need this if you want to create your own override textures
# textures will be dumped to "dpfix\tex_dump\[hash].tga"
enableTextureDumping 1

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Awesome!

You just need to change this line to a 1 in the DPfix.ini -

# enables texture dumping
# you *only* need this if you want to create your own override textures
# textures will be dumped to "dpfix\tex_dump\[hash].tga"
enableTextureDumping 1

Thanks! I just started using the above texture mod to do it instead though and since I already have one line done I might as well finish it and adjust it with the original after.

Durante

FUCK YEAH.

I just spent 5 hours reverse engineering assembler-level pixel and vertex shader code, and was about to give up, but I managed to do it.

013_i000_oldrendertard2b3w.jpg

I'm extremely pumped, since this is something I never managed to do for Dark Souls (despite trying), and since I had almost given up on doing it again in Deadly Premonition, and since it's probably the most complicated thing I've done in any of my interceptor dlls.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I decided to test it out before to see if they matched up and it's not close enough for my liking so I'm wondering if I should bother continuing since I seemed to have not made it large enough as well.
YUDnwFN.png

Edit: Trying something else now to see if the results turn out well.

Durante

I guess I should actually state what I did. I increased the shadow rendering resolution n-fold (configurable) while also eliminating projective aliasing (what that makes shadows on oblique surfaces look like crap and jump around). It still breaks lots of stuff currently, but I hope I'll be able to figure that out.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I guess I should actually state what I did. I increased the shadow rendering resolution n-fold (configurable) while also eliminating projective aliasing (what that makes shadows on oblique surfaces look like crap and jump around). It still breaks lots of stuff currently, but I hope I'll be able to figure that out.

Awesome, I look forward to seeing how it will look in-game. :D

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
So much progress... so many files. I'm so lost.

EDIT: By chance, did anyone come across unused content? Removed characters? Unused lines of dialog?

Christ, Durante, you are really going above and beyond with this game. I know I asked before, but since you insist on making the game as beautiful as you can, is it possible to turn off the HUD or subtitles during gameplay? For some reason it really bothers me to not be able to turn it off. I was thinking I could replace the texture with transparent ones maybe, but that might screw up other times when I do need to see some text or HUD elements.

Necrovex

FUCK YEAH.

I just spent 5 hours reverse engineering assembler-level pixel and vertex shader code, and was about to give up, but I managed to do it.

013_i000_oldrendertard2b3w.jpg

I'm extremely pumped, since this is something I never managed to do for Dark Souls (despite trying), and since I had almost given up on doing it again in Deadly Premonition, and since it's probably the most complicated thing I've done in any of my interceptor dlls.

Man I could actually see that exact shot existing in DP.

Durante

Christ, Durante, you are really going above and beyond with this game. I know I asked before, but since you insist on making the game as beautiful as you can, is it possible to turn off the HUD or subtitles during gameplay? For some reason it really bothers me to not be able to turn it off. I was thinking I could replace the texture with transparent ones maybe, but that might screw up other times when I do need to see some text or HUD elements.
Compared to the shadow rendering stuff that's child's play. Will add in the next update (which probably will be on Thursday)

Man I could actually see that exact shot existing in DP.
It's the shadow map when you look a bit to the left from the very first scene of the game (the fireplace). To the left is vanilla, to the right is bliss.

Yuripaw

Banned
I have a feeling you're using his profile which requires custom remapping of the keys in the DPLauncher.exe

Have you remapped the controls in the Launcher in the past? These new profiles require the default mappings. Just go into the Launcher settings and restore to default.

Let me know if it works.

I didn't remap anything...I did what you guys suggested, and just pressed default in the key inputs, and it was all the same.

Compared to the shadow rendering stuff that's child's play. Will add in the next update (which probably will be on Thursday)

It's the shadow map when you look a bit to the left from the very first scene of the game (the fireplace). To the left is vanilla, to the right is bliss.

Well then. Thanks for making this game a joy to play. Thanks for investing so much time.

Zafir

My controller support pack is ready!

DPFix Controller profiles - 1.0

DOWNLOAD FROM HERE
Hmm, just using this, seems good. For some reason run is still showing up as L Shift though?

Edit: Also had an issue with holding your breath during the early cutscene where you need to. Came up saying hold LB, didn't work. In the end I happened to be talking on vent while trying again(CTRL is my ptt) and figured out Ctrl+LB seemed to work. Using Pinnacle for reference.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I'm just kind of curious - is any of what you're learning end noodling its way back into improving DSFix? Shadows and the water rendering in Dark Souls are still pretty special and it seems like what you just learned with DP on that shadow thing might be related.

Is that plausible at all?

Top Bottom