• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest 8

qsm8tsM.jpg

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest

Idea: To face off in a hardened custom creation battle where the winner takes all and everyone else gets a pat on the back.

Aim: Having fun and improving our brick building skills on the way.

Rules: One cheap set (that is still readily available) is chosen to give everyone a level playing field. From the parts contained in whichever sets you choose (including the spares that come with the box) a custom creation is to be built, no further theme or model limitations are placed. The custom model should however be of your own design and not blatantly copied from somewhere else, getting inspiration and ideas is of course permissible. Using parts not contained in the chosen set is not allowed.

Timeframe: The contest will last until the end of October, plenty of time for everyone to get the required set and start building. The custom model should be posted in the contest thread by the final date and the OT will be updated with links to the corresponding post. Each entry should contain no more than 5 pictures including one that also shows the pile of left over parts. Post as many builds as you want in here, but please be sure to tag your post or PM me as to which you want to be your final entry for the prize pool. Remember to take good photos of your model, I would recommend you try and find a uniform background and as much light as possible. If you wanna get really crazy, try making a lightbox. There's cheap and effective ways to do it! http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpensive-Photography-Lightbox

Start Date: 9/24/2017
End Date: 10/31/2017

Submission:
To ensure I don't miss an entry you can always drop me a PM with a link, also if you are unhappy with my choice of name for your model, don't hesitate to give me the official name of your creation.

Face-off: The winner is then chosen by popular vote. For one week after the OT has been updated with the finalized entries and the voting round is officially opened by the OP voting can commence.
Every voter has exactly 6 votes:
- one worth 3 points
- two worth 2 points
- three worth 1 point
You give your favorite Model 3 points the two runners up 2 points each and have another 3 points to distribute amongst the other entries.
By what measure you rate the entries is entirely up to you.

The sets to be used:

Entrants can choose ONE of the following sets for their official entry:
tn_10706_alt1_jpg.jpg

tn_10707_alt1_jpg.jpg

tn_10708_alt1_jpg.jpg

tn_10709_alt1_jpg.jpg

You can choose one of the following color themed Creativity Boxes:
10706- Blue Creativity Box
10707- Red Creativity Box
10708- Green Creativity Box
10709- Orange Creavitiy Box

That's right, the set being used this time is only $5 or less. It is even an add on item on Amazon, so next time you are ordering something tack one or all of these on. The cost of entry this time is so low even BronsonLee can afford it!
We love you, Bronson.

You can buy all 4 sets if you want, but your final entry can only use parts from one of the sets. This is about as bare bones as you can get for piece selection, but also the cheapest point of entry for any contest we have tried.

Restrictions breed creativity. Now that your choice of parts is limited, you have to get more creative. Let's see what people can turn out with such strict guidelines. I also anticipate more entries than usual since the cost of entry is lower than a combo meal at most fast food places.

You have a little over a month to build, so get cracking.

Prizes
Besides temporary glory that people will forget about in less than a week, most of these contests have members put prizes up for the winners. This is entirely optional, but I will be putting forth a prize.

One copy each on blu ray (used) of The Thing and LEGO Movie. There will also be something else added into the mix that is not yet determined.
If anyone would like to contribute a prize, please let me know in the thread AND a PM.
When the voting is over and a winner is decided, the prizes are first come, first served.

An anonymous GAFfer has also said that they will contribute a $20 battle.net code to the prize pool. Thank you! You know who you are.

Participants and their entries: (last updated: not updated yet)
If you find an error, in Names or links please let me know.

Previous Contest:
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #2
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #3
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #4
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #5
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #6
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #7

Many parts of this OP are shamelessly stolen by FliXFantatier and Chezzymann, who contributed so much to most of the previous contests.

Want to kiss your money goodbye and meet a bunch of friendly, filthy enablers? Join us in LEGO GAF. Making wallets cry for years now.

EDIT: Piece inventories for each of the sets. Thanks to Chaosblade for this.

Included pieces for each one, from the PDF manuals. That new Firefox screenshot tool is actually kind of awesome.
ca1DjbR.jpg

WHAT THE HELL

You know you want to enter. Show these fools how it is done! Cmon, free movies or other mysterious prizes! You know you want to give this contest the Bronson Bump(tm)

Also, that was fast. Figured I had at least an hour before you saw it. I guess the AI was working overtime.

Blizzard

Banned
Was there ever a results post / thread / summary from last contest?

I'll try to pick up one of these on Amazon. I'm thinking green or blue. *edit* Blue has more pieces, going with that.

Is it possible to edit Amazon links into the OP? If there are any, I'm missing them.

Blue has the most pieces of the selection, but Red seems to have some of the cooler individual pieces.

I only got the blue myself, but might snag the others to see how different the selection is.

Blizzard

Banned
Also, it looks like I have to order from an outlet other than direct by Amazon, since the add-on item nature means I'm forced to pay $30 instead $5-7 including shipping.

Also, it looks like I have to order from an outlet other than direct by Amazon, since the add-on item nature means I'm forced to pay $30 instead $5-7 including shipping.

Didn't notice that aspect, my apologies.

However, this set is cheap if you have a LEGO store in town. And can be found in some grocery stores and Barnes and Noble.

Ponn

Banned
Oh nice. Picking a color is hard though, greens my favorite but red and yellow have nice pieces. I also right away have an idea for blue, You're tearing me apart!

This makes me miss mixels.

theaface

Given the low number of entrants in the previous competition, would it be worth saying one official entry per set is permitted instead of one official entry across all sets?

I personally don't mind at all either way, just thought it might be a nice way to see more builds/variety?

mrkgoo

Given the low number of entrants in the previous competition, would it be worth saying one official entry per set is permitted instead of one official entry across all sets?

I personally don't mind at all either way, just thought it might be a nice way to see more builds/variety?

the whole point is to have the limitations, I reckon. The reason for low entries last time was the thread died into obscurity because we tried not allowing posts that weren't final entries in my opinion. Some were concerned that posting non-final submissions was "Stealing the submission space".

I'm of the side that there's no such thing, and originality isn't exactly what people expect it to be - just make tons of models, and have fun!

What's the ruling on posting non-submissions this time around?

The more I think about it the more i think I'll be in again for another round (was considering not) - was looking carefully t the pieces to decide which set to get, and i think I've chose based on two criteria.

I ordered but will be noncommittal on entering since the last time I never got around to it and I'll be traveling during October. Then again it's a 60 piece set so I should be able to whip something out in a day.

Posting non submissions should be fine this time now that I think about it. Maybe inspire others.

But, whatever you want to be your official submission, say so in the post or the PM to me, please.

Kas

I like legos, and I've never done something like this before.

I might have to get one of these soon.

With jelly or syrup?
f5isnsl.gif

I'm gonna let someone else steal that idea now.

I'm actually kind of curious as to why people are choosing the sets they are.

It's a cool idea!

I picked green cuz it reminds me of how much money I've spent on Lego.

Serious answer, green has always been my favorite color so that's what I added to my amazon cart when Phon suggested this a couple weeks ago. I didn't notice the piece count difference until later.

Broank

ooh I think I'm in for this.

Not sure what color would be best though. Yellow seems to have the most interesting little pieces that immediately jump out for me. Blue has a lot of good chunky go to pieces. Green I'm thinking maybe I could do a mini forestmen thing or something. hmmm..

mrkgoo

f5isnsl.gif

I'm gonna let someone else steal that idea now.

I picked green cuz it reminds me of how much money I've spent on Lego.

Serious answer, green has always been my favorite color so that's what I added to my amazon cart when Phon suggested this a couple weeks ago. I didn't notice the piece count difference until later.

Between blue and red for me.

I think I will pick blue. One reason is the number of pieces, which I thought I was clever in counting but then realised phonciple already mentioned it, but the first reason I saw was looking for SNOT-enabling pieces. It has four 1x1 bricks. Red set has more side studs, but only 3pieces. The piece count is icing.

Although I do Lo like the little white wing pieces. Oh wait just realised they're all the same handed piece. Awkward.

Also my son likes trains. Oh wait he also likes cars. Lol

I think something that will naturally prevent "submission space" to be limiting when posting non-final entries is that not everyone will have the same pieces.

I thought no I will go down to the shops and pick one up tonight. There's a kind of chain store here that sells Lego at ~15% off permanently it seems (bringing it closer to US prices normally). Such a small set the cost savings during specials is negligible.

I was tempted by Red since it has some more variety, like angled pieces.
I think we will get some very interesting results from this because of the restrictions.

Any chance there will be Bojack Horseman Hollywoo sets created by fans in the near future similar to how there were fan creations of Star Wars before Lego got the license?

Blizzard

Banned
I'm going to do my personal 100% pieces used challenge as always, but with such tiny sets it might almost be interesting if everyone had to do that.

Blizzard

Banned

mrkgoo

Sorry to repeat, but I'm really not able to find it. Was there ever a results thread / post for the previous contest winner? All I see is the entry thread.

Also, would you like to put these links into the OP for convenience? That might attract more entrants.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N02WKQ5/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J41DNUY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJHU65/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8X64XV/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1359689

mrkgoo

Thanks! Sorry, I figured it would be posted or linked from the previous thread. I had subscribed to it and never caught the end of the contest for that reason.

I don't know about this alleged "Mrkgoo" poster who won though. ;p Seems untrustworthy. I've certainly never heard of them!

Lol. When you asked again I thought there was a winner announcement thread right? But you were right, it wasn't linked. Made me wonder if there was one or not myself. I had to search titles with "Lego" in them and kept scrollinguntil I found it! And I posted in it lol.

mrkgoo

Ok, got my blue set. went to the store, tons of red and green, no yellow, and one last blue box, slightly crushed.

fisheyes

I got a yellow. Looked like some interesting pieces in there, but mostly because I thought it might be a bit of an underpicked one. Looking forward to seeing the entries.

Blizzard

Banned
I picked up the green one for $5 in Walmart since the blue one is not getting here for decades.

I've decided the ultimate contest would be to let people choose any two, mix them, and build the result.

Top Bottom