• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played the demo of this; thought it was ok from an action standard, but still short of a Devil May Cry standard. Not sure if this is in the full game, but with the demon/angel pulls, are there enemies that will be affected differently by it, like they will pull on it and bring Dante to them to attack, or are there any bosses/environments where you can effectively pull and control something. I've envisioned this mechanic to be like pulling a huge floating pillar or something to hit a huge boss with.

I suspect there's nothing like this in the game. I'll see for myself when I get it eventually, but I hope it's something they consider if they go through with a DmC2.

Angel Whip will always bring Dante to them and Demon Whip brings them to Dante. You can upgrade them to have attacks come out after you do it. There's a lot of platforming related moving of platforms and pillars but the only times they come up in combat are scripted sections.

iavi

If I just wasted 37 dollars I'm going to be super pissed.

Relax. You didn't waste any money. This happens with me and pre-order keys kinda frequently. It's always sorted out by release.

"When activating these keys on Steam, they may register as Valvetestapp. This is nothing to worry about, and you will be able to find DMC: Devil May Cry listed in your Games Library."

http://blog.greenmangaming.com/2013/01/dmc-devil-may-cry-keys.html

Did you guys with the preload trouble get your keys from GMG? In that link above they say "Capcom have informed us that at present, there will be no pre-load for this title."
Maybe the issue is specific to their keys

Yeah, mine was a GMG key.

Angel Whip will always bring Dante to them and Demon Whip brings them to Dante. You can upgrade them to have attacks come out after you do it. There's a lot of platforming related moving of platforms and pillars but the only times they come up in combat are scripted sections.

That's what I was afraid of. They're nice implementations, but I'd hoped for more to do with them, or just not have to use them the same way thoughout the entire game.

FaintDeftone

I've restarted and deleted local content multiple times, can still only preload 38 megs.

Not just you...are the ones able to preload seeing this as well?

jbgRlsYYjjpbYq.jpg

Same thing happened to me. I have the game listed in my library but it only preloaded 38MB and that is all. Strange... but I thought nothing of it since the store page says I own it and it resides in my library.

Just beat the game in a three binge sessions over two days and was really impressed.

It isn't Kamiya's Devil May Cry but neither was 4 and imo it's a much better overall experience then that game or 2. I like some of the decisions NT made with character, storyline and combat but can see why it might upset hardcore fans. I loved the original DMC and Ninja Gaiden but was never an expert so don't miss the high level stuff which has surely been lost.

Pros:

Graphically it's a beautiful game and the morphing levels can be really interesting. I love the look of the new devil trigger and character designs in this were some of the best I've seen this gen.

Dante was more multi dimensional then he'd seemed in the run up to the game and by the end I grew to like this take on him.

The combat still has a lot of the depth and variety you (or at least I) expect from a character action game.

The plot was more compelling then the originals in my opinion and I liked the commentary on media/power structures as half baked as it was.

The platforming is really fun at times and does a good job of breaking up the combat (the last levels especially have some awesome platforming setpieces).

The modern aesthetic and music choices compliment the new Dante's style well.

Cons:

One level gave me a headache it was so psychodelic.

The combat sometimes doesnt feel as fluid as DMC or Nina Gaiden.

I expected more from the plot after Enslaved, I do wonder if some parts of the game were rushed.

The platforming could also be infuriating at times.

Dante was annoying at the beginning of the game and over use of swear words got grating at times.

Overall I do think it deserves a fair shot from anyone on the fence or who was put off by the advertising/development comments. I hope it does well enough for a sequel to take the franchise further in what I think is an interesting direction.

(Hope this makes sense written at 3am in the morning here haha).

dmr87

Only 38mb here and GMG, not really a problem for me since I have a fast connection but a bummer for some nontheless.

nbthedude

Count me in as someone who bought it from GmG but only could preload 38MB. Anyone have any luck preloading with the GmG keys?

That's the App ID for DmC, if you check the store you'll see the 'You Already Own' notification

Maybe the pre-load is only for Steam purchased copies

Definitely not the problem. I bought directly through Steam and I have the same problem. I was hoping someone found a fix before I head to bed...

Not that I'm happy about it, but I'm glad it wasn't only me having troubles. This really sucks since the dorms that I'm at have a godawful conneciton. I wasn't expecting it to finish it until Early Friday, but this more or less confirms this will be a weekend venture.

nbthedude

Not that I'm happy about it, but I'm glad it wasn't only me having troubles. This really sucks since the dorms that I'm at have a godawful conneciton. I wasn't expecting it to finish it until Early Friday, but this more or less confirms this will be a weekend venture.

My connecion isnt great either. It will easily be 8 hours before I get it downloaded after it starts, which looks like it will be noon tomorrow.

Dead

well not really...yet
To long :( Wish BP at least came out first.

Btw, has Capcom said anything about Vergil being playable in Bloody Palace...? Since they are both being released around the same time...

dreamfall

Damn- just woke up and still seeing that DmC isn't pre-loaded. Is it just GMG folks that are having this problem? Or everyone?

I'm not worried- just wanted to start playing tonight!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man, that's shitty. I'm finding it hard to even get myself through SoS already, for whatever reason I haven't been finding the replay all that enjoyable.

It's a wonder there hasn't been a big BP-specific press release talking about what it's going to be because it seems timed to discourage trade-ins and create interest in the paid DLC

iavi

My backlog is so big, I'm A OK with it coming towards the end of Feb. Polish Vergil up, give BP its own environment etc. It'll be fun to revisit the game again then.

Anteater

Man, that's shitty. I'm finding it hard to even get myself through SoS already, for whatever reason I haven't been finding the replay all that enjoyable.

Rising is kind of distracting me a bit, while I enjoy fighting stuff in this game I kind of took a break after reaching furnace of souls on SoS, all those boring boss fights and platforming is kind of a bad mix for me. I don't find some of the enemies that fun to fight either, just a bunch of mobs with only 1-2 ground attacks..

remz

Basically in time to "distract" people from MGR.

Really long ass time to wait for BP... talk about hype killing although the hype for this game is non existent as it is.

The MGR demo has kind of taken a lot of my enthusiasm for playing this away already...

Maaseru

Banned
So many people hate DD? Really? I found it fun and refreshing. The kind of game I've been really getting into lately. For me it was a happy medium between Skyrim and Dark SOuls. More like a skyrim/toned Dark SOuls. Loved it!! I want a sequel!

ezekial45

Banned
So many people hate DD? Really? I found it fun and refreshing. The kind of game I've been really getting into lately. For me it was a happy medium between Skyrim and Dark SOuls. More like a skyrim/toned Dark SOuls. Loved it!! I want a sequel!

They believe that effort would've been served DMC5.

Dead

well not really...yet
Getting Dragon's Dogma AND DmC for me is a much better outcome than just having DMC5. Getting 2 great games instead of one seems like a no brainer.

ezekial45

Banned
Getting Dragon's Dogma AND DmC for me is a much better outcome than just having DMC5. Getting 2 great games instead of one seems like a no brainer.

I'd much rather have this too. Capcom was seriously on to something with DD, and they've got to strike while the iron is hot. The Dark Arisen release will be a great way to get more people in.

But I'm uncertain about DmC, however. The critical reception showed they did something right, as it is one of the top reviewed games of the series, but I don't know about it on the market. I'm sure they knew the sales would be lower than the previous games considering the circumstances (market climate, game reception, reboot factor). Plus, I'm sure they cut back on the marketing of the game, cause I haven't seen hide nor hair of any ads on TV and in print. But then again, a number of my local stores sold out their copies of the game, so who knows how it's doing.

I still think the 2 million shipped is very much possible for them. But then again they might not care and are just trying to quietly get it out. Which would really suck, because they did make a good game. Despite what many people who haven't even touched the game may want people to believe.

I'm sure this has come up but the first thing you see when you look at DmC on steam is the heroin-addled mental patient Dante TGS reveal trailer. WHY?

Korigama

At this point I am ready to call it blantant fucking racism. It is absurd how insular Japanese game consumers are. There are plenty of Japanese franchises that do very well in the west. Even Japanese born franchises have no chance when an outside dev takes over.
Oh?
Operation Raccoon City was outsourced by Capcom as well. It did much better (different genre and a legitimately terrible game, but still not an especially popular Western take on a Japanese IP).

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2012 (Apr 23 - Apr 29)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472546
01./00. [PS3] Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.04.26} (¥6.990) - 252.525 / NEW <85,48%>
02./00. [WII] Mario Party 9 <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.04.26} (¥5.800) - 152.883 / NEW <39,83%>
03./01. [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening <SLG> (Nintendo) {2012.04.19} (¥4.800) - 60.313 / 302.913 (-75%)
04./00. [PSV] Ciel Nosurge: Ushinawareta Hoshi e Sasagu Uta # <ETC> (Gust) {2012.04.26} (¥5.040) - 33.324 / NEW
05./00. [PSP] Conception: Please Give Birth to My Child! <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2012.04.26} (¥6.279) - 29.846 / NEW
06./00. [PSP] Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling # <ADV> (5pb.) {2012.04.26} (¥6.090) - 24.849 / NEW
07./00. [PS3] The Idolmaster: Gravure For You! Vol.7 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.04.26} (¥9.980) - 17.314 / NEW
08./00. [360] Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.04.26} (¥6.990) - 16.285 / NEW <83,41%>

ezekial45

Banned
At this point I am ready to call it blantant fucking racism. It is absurd how insular Japanese game consumers are. There are plenty of Japanese franchises that do very well in the west. Even Japanese born franchises have no chance when an outside dev takes over.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but I do agree that this attitude and joy people have in seeing the game not do well is repulsive and despicable. NeoGAF is very tame compared to GFAQS, SRK, and 4chan -- all of which are practically circlejerking over the sales charts for this game.

Monocle

Way to jump to the most sensational conclusion.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Since you're a junior here's a friendly advice. Stay away from making comments like that.

Risette

A Good Citizen
05./00. [PSP] Conception: Please Give Birth to My Child! <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2012.04.26} (¥6.279) - 29.846 / NEW
07./00. [PS3] The Idolmaster: Gravure For You! Vol.7 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.04.26} (¥9.980) - 17.314 / NEW
well deserved

nbthedude

Yes. The western dveloped Racoon City was 25 for the year. The Japanese developed RE6 was 7.

Here is more data:

Top 30 selling Japanese games of all time:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/07/08/japans-best-selling-video-games-of-all-time/

Not a single western developed game.

Top 100 in 2012 in Japan:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508592

Three Western games in top 100: Racoon City 25, Call of Duty 31, Assassin's Creed 3 85

2011 top 100

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458849

Four Western games chart: Donkey Kong 25, Call of Duty 39, BattleField 66, Uncharted 69

2010 top 100:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419169

Three games: Call of Duty at 59, Grand Theft Auto Libert City at 95, and Red Dead Redemption at 97.

2009 top 100 in Japan:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384783

One western game in the top 100: Call of Duty at 77.

So, in the last four years, out of 400 top selling games, 11 western games chart. 2.75% Western games, 97.25% Japanese games. Math.

nbthedude

So Japanese people are obligated to like Western games to not be racist? ok

If you want to use a euphemism such as "insular cultural tastes" or whatever, that is fine by me. I am not caught up on labels. The point still stands. A Western developed DmC had an practically impossible battle to chart as high as the Japanese developed entries. Or to be more precise, even if it was one of the top tier Western developed games in the last four years it had a 2.75% chance of breaking the top 100.

Top Bottom