• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 1st year is killing my wallet

Agreed, mate.
Almost finished Zelda and still have Mario Kart, FAST, and Voez to go.

Considering picking up Wonder Boy and Dark Witch Music Episode until Arms comes out and Lego + Bomberman lowers in price.

And if Rainway actually comes out?
This console will be the end of me. lol

I gotta travel for 4+ hours every Friday for hospital/school during the summer. Might as well play some fun stuff during the trip.

V3rt1go

I got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Kamiko, Fast RMX and NBA Playgrounds....i'm quite happy even though the internet told me Switch has no games.

I'm happy that you are happy but obviously at lauch everything is expensive and there isn't much content.

Between Switch and the GPD Win i followed the way of the content and the saving and bought the GPD Win around Switch launch, i now have like 30 games, the most expensive game i bought was Batman Arkham Origins for 5 euro, i got a good amount of games for free(Binary Domain, Renegade ops, Mount & Blade, Chivalry and others), some stupid cheap deal(Deadly Premonition for 36 cents), and each of the other games for 2 euro or less, i bought only games i was interested in, i wouldn't be surprised if i spent for all the games less than the cost of 1 or 2 Switch games.

I bought games I was interested in too and I'm at 20 Switch games (4 of which are NEO GEO classics), so I'm not really seeing the point about how there isn't "much content". The only games out of those 20 that I haven't completed or finished playing are Human Resource Machine (penultimate level), Disgaea 5 (got it at launch thought this was disappointing compared with Disgaea 1, 3 and 4), TumbleSeed (a very hard roguelike) and Thumper (it's been out for a less than a week).

Otherwise I've been satisfied with my Switch, the games have been worth the money, and I'd have paid that much for them had they been on 3DS or Vita anyway, the hardware is superb, also enabling me to play more local multiplayer across half a dozen games in the last two months than I had the last four years.

Rncewind

is quite the opposite for me, i got zelda on launch and have nothing else that i desire (maybe ultra sf).

Which is not a problem at all for me honestly im still busy with zelda and think by the time im finished arms and splatoon will be arround

Pro controller and case are only extras I've bought so far, but it all adds up. I'm not buying second Joy Cons until i think the QA problems have been resolved 100%.

Have Zelda obviously (physical), Mario Kart and Snipperclips (digital), but I've slowed down to a stop. I've resisted Tetris and Bomberman because I think they are just too expensive for what they are, or at least, what I will use them for (very occasional superficial play). Snake Pass - similar, just a bit expensive for something I'm not even sure I want 100%. Isaac looks cool but i've never seen it on the store where I live. Neo Geo games - also tempting, but seem about twice as expensive as they should be for me. Also wish Neo Geo was one big app with the games as DLC purchases.

I'm itching to buy old classic Nintendo games tho.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I bought games I was interested in too and I'm at 20 Switch games (4 of which are NEO GEO classics), so I'm not really seeing the point about how there isn't "much content". The only games out of those 20 that I haven't completed or finished playing are Human Resource Machine (penultimate level), Disgaea 5 (got it at launch thought this was disappointing compared with Disgaea 1, 3 and 4), TumbleSeed (a very hard roguelike) and Thumper (it's been out for a less than a week).

Otherwise I've been satisfied with my Switch, the games have been worth the money, and I'd have paid that much for them had they been on 3DS or Vita anyway, the hardware is superb, also enabling me to play more local multiplayer across half a dozen games in the last two months than I had the last four years.

I'm happy that you are happy, i wasn't saying anything bad about Switch, but at launch there isn't much to choose from, for example if someone wants a traditional jrpg but he doesn't like setsuna or he already finished it somewhere else he won't play jrpgs because there aren't other jrpgs to choose from, those who like wrpg, fps and some other genres actually have nothing to choose from and so on. No console launched with hundreds of games to choose from, it's the simple truth for every console, not just Switch, there's no need to be defensive.

You bought 20 games over how many Switch games in total? You were lucky Switch got so many games you were interested in at launch, others may have different tastes and be interested in less games, in fact OP only bought 6 of the available games, i guess that if OP had more money would have bought more games, but it's a long road from 6 to 20.

I'm happy that you are happy, i wasn't saying anything bad about Switch, but at launch there isn't much to choose from, for example if someone wants a traditional jrpg but he doesn't like setsuna or he already finished it somewhere else he won't play jrpgs because there aren't other jrpgs to choose from, those who like wrpg, fps and some other genres actually have nothing to choose from and so on. No console launched with hundreds of games to choose from, it's the simple truth for every console, not just Switch, there's no need to be defensive.

You bought 20 games over how many Switch games in total? You were lucky Switch got so many games you were interested in at launch, others may have different tastes and be interested in less games, in fact OP only bought 6 of the available games, i guess that if OP had more money would have bought more games, but it's a long road from 6 to 20.

Not being defensive about it, you're just plain wrong that there "isn't much content" on the Switch. For a launch window the Switch has had the best post-launch release schedule I've seen since generation 7. There's at least one quality game out every week, and games are listed on the eShop as soon as they are ready, with no separate versions for each region. No one is saying that you have to buy all the games to justify there being a lot of content, but if you've only bought six there's still a lot to choose from.

I'm talking about the system at its point in its lifecycle, whereas you're comparing it to a mature platform that's been around for 30 years...

When the Vita launched I picked up ~ 20 physical games within the first month.

If you're enthusiastic about the hardware you can find entertainment in a lot of its titles. It's not as if the games you listed are bad games - but few of them are stellar, or new, aside Breath of the Wild.

On the Vita, I felt like I ended up buying a lot of good games, things like Lumines Electronic Symphony, (the best iteration of one of the best puzzle games of all time), Ninja Gaiden Sigma (one of the best action games of all time), and Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (a really great fighting game) but it felt a little hollow as many of the titles had released before, or existed as simple reiterations of classic franchises.

I still had a lot of fun with them but I can see how, the average consumer wasn't that happy with the launch window lineup. Similarly on the Switch, I can't imagine there will be all too many people enthused by games like Puyo Puyo Tetris, Wonderboy or Bomberman.

This pretty much echoes how I feel about the Switch's launch lineup. The big hitters are few and far between (for most it'll be Mario Kart and Zelda, though I was surprised something like a Disgaea 5 port got 120k pre-orders), but there's a steady stream of curios worth checking out in a launch window where you're willing to try new things.

Apathy

Outside of botw and Mario kart you could have done without the other stuff to be honest (plus a pro controller) . it's not that bad for me

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not being defensive about it, you're just plain wrong that there "isn't much content" on the Switch. For a launch window the Switch has had the best post-launch release schedule I've seen since generation 7. There's at least one quality game out every week, and games are listed on the eShop as soon as they are ready, with no separate versions for each region. No one is saying that you have to buy all the games to justify there being a lot of content, but if you've only bought six there's still a lot to choose from.

I'm talking about the system at its point in its lifecycle, whereas you're comparing it to a mature platform that's been around for 30 years...

See? You are defensive.

I'm not saying that Switch has no gaemz like super dumb people kept saying of Vita until not a long ago, i'm saying that since Switch is 2 months old some genres have no games and others have only 1 or 2 games to choose from, now it's setsuna or nothing for traditional jrpg fans fo example, again because Switch is only 2 months old, am i lying? There's nothing wrong in what i'm saying since it's the truth for every console, not just Switch, only with time the lineup will be bigger and there will be more alternatives to choose from.

spekkeh

Banned
In 2.5 months, there are 16 80+ games on Switch.
Took PS4 4 months.

In 2.5 months there are 3 90+ games on Switch.
Took PS4 4.5 months.

2 of the 90+ games are AAA games.
Took PS4 9 months.

That's not even talking about the extra value of being able to play these same games at home and on the go. Which for me is massive. So yeah it's been a pretty good launch.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Indeed. I have no idea how, but Switch has got the best handheld post-launch release schedule since probably the original Game Boy.

The games just keep coming

See? You are defensive.

I'm not saying that Switch has no gaemz like super dumb people kept saying of Vita until not a long ago, i'm saying that since Switch is 2 months old some genres have no games and others have only 1 or 2 games to choose from, now it's setsuna or nothing for traditional jrpg fans fo example, again because Switch is only 2 months old, am i lying? There's nothing wrong in what i'm saying since it's the truth for every console, not just Switch, only with time the lineup will be bigger and there will be more alternatives to choose from.

But by this logic I could say you're being defensive because you think I'm thinking that you're saying "Switch has no gaemz". I'm not, though.

Basically, I'm just thinking your comparison to the GPD Win is plain weird: It's not going to be surprising to anyone that you can pick up 30 cheap PC games which work on an Atom z3.

I mean, I could have written a post about how I (theoretically) picked up a whole bunch of cheap 3DS, DS, PSP and Vita games to play on the go instead of getting a Switch at launch. I don't think it would have been a good comparison to a brand new platform with a growing library from 0...

You mentioned about following "the way of the content", buying 30 cheap PC games, but the OP of the thread is about how good the Switch's launch window is. Comparing the library of a 30-year old platform (the PC) to a launch window of a brand new one strikes me as odd, because it has nothing to do with the Switch's launch window.

Took PS4 4 months.

Took PS4 4.5 months.

Took PS4 9 months.

That's not even talking about the extra value of being able to play these same games at home and on the go. Which for me is massive. So yeah it's been a pretty good launch.

That's quite revealing.

I'm super happy with the switch line up of games so far but I didn't have a WiiU so that is a big factor.

ty_hot

That's one of the reasons that are holding me back. I have a PS4 and I can literally buy great games for under 20 anytime I want, and for under 15 or under 10 at least once per month - not including old games (3+ years) and indies that are on sale many times even cheaper than that.

I could get a Switch, but I dont want to pay 60 for every game. I get games on launch every now and then on PS4 (got PES2017 and horizon for example), but I do it with the intention of selling them later (PES was 6 months after release, Horizon a few weeks only)... for my taste Switch games are not the kind that I want to 'sell' or 'trade in', specially because its a portable, I'd rather have all my games in the SD card all the time. I dont want to play mario kart 12 days in a row. But I do want to play mario kart a few times per month, during 12 months. So if the prices for games are too high even after launch, I cant see myself supporting it.

In case there will be more games like sniperclips, that are cheaper, then its ok, but if it will only get nintendo games that cost 60 or close to it even a year after launch... meh.

Strings

Took PS4 4 months.

Took PS4 4.5 months.

Took PS4 9 months.

They're mostly old ports, outside of Botw :/

Turrican3

In case there will be more games like sniperclips, that are cheaper, then its ok
Of course you'll get those.

But if you expect successful "big" Nintendo games to drop in price in a more or less relative short period, you're probably going to be disappointed (as with any franchise with so-called long legs, it's just that Nintendo have more, but this definitely isn't exclusive to them, just think about GTA for example)

For PS4 you mean? Yes, the first actually new 90+ game was probably Bloodborne or something.
The others, Flower, Diablo 3, TLoU were all old ports. Fake edit: maybe Fez counts.

Actually there's GTAV, but I can't think of many more. And that was about a year out from launch. Plus it's cross-gen, but I don't consider that a knock against a game (even though people use that as ammo against BotW).

heringer

Yeah no, it's a mega-corp comparable to Amazon and Bestbuy, and not some small mom'n'pop shop. No way I'll feel bad about them mistakenly giving me a free Switch.

It's not the mega-corp that will suffer for it, but the person who will lose his/her job for the mistake.

Anyway, you do what you want, of course. However, wouldn't you say the same argument holds for piracy?

XandBosch

Those Canadian eShop store prices are a mini nuke to anyone's wallet. Simply outrageous. And they TAX that shit!

Tell me about it. I have Wonderboy, Shifty, Snake Pass, Setsuna, Minecraft, and now Thumper all on my wish list, and together that's almost 200 bucks thanks to the Canadian dollar.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I already have a backlog. One physical game and 11 digital ones, the latest being Thumper. Still need to pick up Wonderboy and Shovel Knight too.

phanphare

Banned
Everything on this console is so overpriced

huh? posts like these are strange to me, it's like they see one or two examples and extrapolate for the entire library of the console. I own 8 games so far and I wouldn't consider any of them overpriced and tbh some are great bargains (Blaster Master Zero at $9.99 is a great price, Kamiko at $4.99 is a great price, and Graceful Explosion Machine at $14.99 is a great price)

sorry you think Bomberman R isn't worth the money or whatever example you have in your head

Morts

It's just been Zelda and Snake Pass for me. I'm tempted by Mario Kart but I can't justify it when I have a perfectly good Wii U copy. I love the machine though, and I'm eager for an excuse to use it.

killatopak

Gold Member
It's only because you focus on that single platform. Widen your horizon and get your wallet killed equally in all platforms.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
But by this logic I could say you're being defensive because you think I'm thinking that you're saying "Switch has no gaemz". I'm not, though.

Basically, I'm just thinking your comparison to the GPD Win is plain weird: It's not going to be surprising to anyone that you can pick up 30 cheap PC games which work on an Atom z3.

I mean, I could have written a post about how I (theoretically) picked up a whole bunch of cheap 3DS, DS, PSP and Vita games to play on the go instead of getting a Switch at launch. I don't think it would have been a good comparison to a brand new platform with a growing library from 0...

You mentioned about following "the way of the content", buying 30 cheap PC games, but the OP of the thread is about how good the Switch's launch window is. Comparing the library of a 30-year old platform (the PC) to a launch window of a brand new one strikes me as odd, because it has nothing to do with the Switch's launch window.

OP complained that his wallet was empty after 6 games, at the time when OP decided for Switch i also had to choose what console to buy but i took into account money and lineup and decided for the GPD Win instead, OP shared his experience, i shared mine.

The whole PSP, 3DS etc games and the "Comparing the library of a 30-year old platform (the PC) to a launch window of a brand new one strikes me as odd" is really naive at best thoguh, do you think that the strenght of the PC is the past? Since Switch d1 on Steam were released around 1375 games.

One last correction, the GPD Win has a z8700, not a z3, that makes people play games like Skyrim, Diablo 3, Fallout 3/NV, Batman Arkham games and many others right now and for cheap.

Now if you understand that i didn't want to say anything bad of Switch then ok, otherwise you continue alone.

heringer

I'm happy that you are happy but obviously at lauch everything is expensive and there isn't much content.

Between Switch and the GPD Win i followed the way of the content and the saving and bought the GPD Win around Switch launch, i now have like 30 games, the most expensive game i bought was Batman Arkham Origins for 5 euro, i got a good amount of games for free(Binary Domain, Renegade ops, Mount & Blade, Chivalry and others), some stupid cheap deal(Deadly Premonition for 36 cents), and each of the other games for 2 euro or less, i bought only games i was interested in, i wouldn't be surprised if i spent for all the games less than the cost of 1 or 2 Switch games.

I don't want to get into this discussion, but this is a weird comparison to make. I mean, you can also get a dirty cheap PSP with a bunch of cheap games. It doesn't really mean much.

Also, GPD Win is awesome for indie and old games, but I wasn't particularly impressed with games from last generation running on it.

radcliff

Have: Zelda, Mario Kart, Street Fighter II (on pre-order), Blaster Master Zero, Shock Troopers, Metal Slug

Want: Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem, Project Octopath Traveller, Seiken Densetsu Collection (please come to the west), Namco Museum, Tales of RPG (whatever it is), No More Heroes, Skyrim Remastered, Sonic Mania, Bloodstained, Owl Boy, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Battle Princess Madelyn, Nine Parchments, and I'm sure others I'm not remembering.

Yikes.

spekkeh

Banned
Actually there's GTAV, but I can't think of many more. And that was about a year out from launch. Plus it's cross-gen, but I don't consider that a knock against a game (even though people use that as ammo against BotW).
How was GTAV not an old port? It was an X360/PS4 game. It only released on PS4 14 months later. Not cross gen.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't want to get into this discussion, but this is a weird comparison to make. I mean, you can also get a dirty cheap PSP with a bunch of cheap games. It doesn't really mean much.

Also, GPD Win is awesome for indie and old games, but I wasn't particularly impressed with games from last generation running on it.

Too late I'm out of this, read my previous posts and discuss with toadtehmushroom if you want.

Quonny

Took PS4 4 months.

Took PS4 4.5 months.

Took PS4 9 months.

How many of these are ports? Obviously this applies to both PS4 and Switch.

XandBosch

Have: Zelda, Mario Kart, Street Fighter II (on pre-order), Blaster Master Zero, Shock Troopers, Metal Slug

Want: Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem, Project Octopath Traveller, Seiken Densetsu Collection (please come to the west), Namco Museum, Tales of RPG (whatever it is), No More Heroes, Skyrim Remastered, Sonic Mania, Bloodstained, Owl Boy, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Battle Princess Madelyn, Nine Parchments, and I'm sure others I'm not remembering.

Yikes.

Wow I didn't even realize that there was a bundle coming to Switch until I saw your comment and googled it.

Unreal!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Took PS4 4 months.

Took PS4 4.5 months.

Took PS4 9 months.

You heard it here first, everyone. Switch > PS4.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Yikes.

Wish i have got money too. I will want to buy a splatoon 2 bundle soon

Goddamn, the launch period is crazy

radcliff

And this is all before E3. If E3 brings us rumored titles like Retro Studios' title, Metroid, Pokemon, Pikmin, Call of Duty, and other surprises then my list grows exponentially.

Took PS4 4 months.

Took PS4 4.5 months.

Took PS4 9 months.

Took the PS4 zero months to have the game of the generation.
The Switch will never get it.

In all seriousness, it is amazing how quickly all the pieces fell into place for the Switch post-launch. Nintendo really underpromised and overdelivered.

heringer

Too late I'm out of this, read my previous posts and discuss with toadtehmushroom if you want.

Relax, I'm not saying you are bad mouthing Switch, nor do I care about that.

I also considered buying GPD Win instead of a Switch, but decided not to because:

1) I already played most of what I want on Steam

2) For games yet to be released, I considered the Switch as a better option since it will get both high profile and indie games, and will be supported for years to come, something I can't tell for sure about GPD for a lot of games. For instance, I can't be sure the GPD will run a game like Rime without problems.

That being said, I still think the GPD Win is awesome, especially given how many emulators you can run on it.

And this is all before E3. If E3 brings us rumored titles like Retro Studios' title, Metroid, Pokemon, Pikmin, Call of Duty, and other surprises then my list grows exponentially.

I hate to be pedantic but exponentially isn't the right word there :p

Took the PS4 zero months to have the game of the generation.
The Switch will never get it.

In all seriousness, it is amazing how quickly all the pieces fell into place for the Switch post-launch. Nintendo really underpromised and overdelivered.

It's really crazy how well their "one big first party game a month (outside of May)" schedule seems to be working, and how much it's helping all of these other indie titles. They did a great job with scheduling basically all Switch releases.

Astral Dog

Took PS4 4 months.

Took PS4 4.5 months.

Took PS4 9 months.

The Metacritic game huh. PS4 will be the unquestionable current gen king for years

On the other hand, nothing in the switch makes me slightly interested, not a single game or feature.

Can I make a thread too?

Im kidding, but the lineup isnt that big of a deal, and IMo its pretty weak, but you shouldnt pre-order stuff...you can just wait until they are released.

MisterR

Took PS4 4 months.

Took PS4 4.5 months.

Took PS4 9 months.

and almost all of those games are already on the PS4 and have been for some time. It's a decent launch lineup due to Zelda being so awesome. But most of those other highly reviewed games are old news if you have any other systems.

Top Bottom