• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current state of android (S8-related)

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I was on the same boat OP. But when I used the Pixel XL for the first time, I was just blown away. Touch responsiveness of iOS, openness of Android and one of the best camera you can get for a smartphone. I now gave my Pixel to dad because he needed a new phone.

Since Pixel 2 is months away, today I pull the trigger and bought S8+. I would buy pixel again in a hearbeat, but price is too much and it doesn't make sense for me to buy it again so I went with S8+. If I won't like it, I will sell it this holiday for Pixel 2.

But if you want your phone to JUST work get Pixel. I can't recommend S8 as of now, since I haven't used it yet.

tbm24

I went from years of iPhone use to an S8+ and I love it. It's definitely been different and I'm still adjusting to some things. I don't notice Samsung bloatware at all to be honest. I haven't removed anything but I set up my go to apps and I jump just between those and never notice what came pre-installed. Haven't found any of them to get in my way. I honestly went with the S8 over a pixel because at this stage I'm tired of a bezel. I still have an iPhone 7 as my work phone and it's fine. The S8+ screen just makes regular activities like browsing NeoGaf a night and day experience compared to the 7.

watership

Friend has a Pixel, I have an S8. We both previously have come from near stock android phones like the OnePlus One and Two.

If you asked me before the S8, i would have said Pixel, but now i'm not so sure. I have to say the S8 has surprised me with the launcher/software. While I don't use Samsung specific apps, the core stuff is as slick and usable as the Pixel is.

The Pixel has less flash but makes up for it in OS speed. . The S8 has more options, better camera software, but the Pixel has an overall better camera. Bixbi is useless to me. However, I thought I'd like to go to the Google Now Launcher, but after a few days I returned to the Samsung one. I just like it better. I even like the Samsung Keyboard better than the Gboard. Never thought I'd say that.

Hardware, no question the S8 is easily a generation ahead. Waterproof, screen, bezels. the only hardware parts I dislike is the Bixbi button, and, caseless, the S8 fingerprint scanner is hard to find, but with a case giving you physical reference, it's seamless.

If you're choosing between the S8 and S8+, they're so close it's not funny. The S8 is a perfect phone size for the one hand. And the battery is great. The S8+ makes using one hand a little tricky, but the battery life is incredible.

Side note: Google is worse than Nintendo for stock control. I tried to buy a Pixel XL with the right memory for almost 6 months before I gave up and got the S8. I wonder how the Pixel 2 will shake out.

Kieli

From what I've heard, the S8 suffers from the usual Samsung performance issues over time.
I've got a OnePlus 3T and love it, absolutely smooth after a month and was really good value (128gb for ~£400).

Honestly wouldn't go for a Pixel at this point, the design has aged horribly in only a year and it's ludicrously expensive. Check out the OnePlus 5, LG G6 and HTC U11

The Blackberry KeyOne is also weirdly appealing

How would people even know that? It's barely been out for 2 months.

Bravocado

I just don't get why manufacturers don't give you the option. You buy a PC and sure, it comes with a lot of extra stuff, but at least you can uninstall everything and just have stock Windows/OSX/Linux, then chose what you actually want.

I shouldn't need to void my warranty and risk bricking my phone if I want to uninstall the default browser to free up space.

I used to own a lot of the Nexus phones, but I don't like the direction they went with the Pixel, with no waterproofing and STILL no expandable storage (a lot of the carriers where I live only stock the 32GB variants of Android phones, whether they have MicroSD slots or not, despite having EVERY option of iPhone).

I have a Motorola G4 now, and while I like the minimal modification to Android, the memory slot and general durability, it's specs got old fast. Thing is really sluggish, apps crash and the whole damn thing overheats.

I really want a new phone (iOS is fine, I enjoy it on my Ipad Mini, but I still prefer Android), but it really sucks having to compromise no matter what.

Man, sorry for that rant, I didn't realizing how much this actually bothered me!

Azerare

Bixy and probably, fingerprint scanner location, unnecessary Samsung apps (that can be removed), and I guess glare from the edge screen
The fingerprint location is definitely overblown. It didn't even take a few hours to get adjusted to it.

Though OP should wait for the note 8 and that screen embedded finger print scanner goodness.

Brought a s7 edge thinking bloatware and senseUI can't be that bad on a phone with 3 Gb of ram. Huge mistake. I would shoot myself in the dick before I buy non vanilla Android again.

Fuck Sense UI.

Though OP should wait for the note 8 and that screen embedded finger print scanner goodness.

I haven’t heard any more news on that. I know they couldn’t quite get it to work on the S8, but Apple supposedly cracked the code (I’ll believe it when I see it).

There’s no way Samsung could wait until the iPhone 8 to see how it’s implemented and then copy that, so I’m curious if they found their own reliable solution.

TTOOLL

S8 is the best Android phone out there. Go Pixel only if you care about updates because Samsung will fuck you up. S7 owner here.

Radec

Getting a pixel now is stupid as pixel 2 is going to be announced soon.

Only con i can find on the s8+ is the fingerprint sensor. It's too small for me and i got like 50% success rate which is awful compared to even Xiaomi phones ive used in the past.

Psyclone

Why?

If you like your current phone, and you like being invested in Apple's ecosystem, what's the point of switching?

Battery life is shockingly bad, and half the screen gets covered with scan lines after a few minutes of usage. Will cost a couple hundred to fix.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not specifically about the S8, but if you use your iPad a lot at home, then keeping an iPhone could be useful. I love continuity where you'll receive SMS/iMessage on the iPad, allowing me to read/reply while my phone is the other side of the room.

I think I'd at least wait to see what the new Iphone will offer too

If you really like the Apple EcoSystem, there is really no harm in waiting to see what they have to offer with the iPhone 8 or the iOS 11.

But if you are going to switch it up and go to Android, I'm with everyone saying that you shouldn't restrict you choices to just the S8/S8+, especially if bloatware is a great concern for you.

Personally I just got the OnePlus 5 and I'm really liking it so far.

If you're gonna go flagship android then get the pixel. If you want budget android, go Moto. The rest of the options are just a pile of companies clambering over each other for supremacy while covered in their own shit.

Though, really, just stick with iPhone.

Or Oneplus, if you want an android phone that wishes it was an iPhone. *shrug*

bedlamite

OP, if you were coming from a Z3, have you entertained the thought of picking up the XZ Premium?

I'm rocking an LG V20 now and it's actually been super stable for me for all of the seven months I've had it. Thing is, my telco is allowing me to recontract thus I'll be able to pick up a phone at a subsidised rate. I was intending to hold onto my LG handset till the iPhone 8 but I've seen what iOS11 looks like and...nope (that control center is worse off than 10's...just, no). htc is back in the game with the U11 but I honestly don't think it's worth upgrading from my V20, same with the G6 and well, pretty much every flagship there is out there. The S8 is close, with its really nice screen, but I see posts from GAF as well as reddit saying how the new S8s are already starting to lag. Same old Samsung, then.

The XZP is bezelicious, but more importantly, Sony's phones have proven to be rock steady for a good period of time. The 835 flies on the XZP, and it does a good job of differentiating itself from the other flagships on the market. but dem bezels tho

Strakt

Ive used a pixel, iphone 7+, and s8+. s8+ all the way. pixel is just a tiny bit faster, but its ugly as fk. s8+ has the best screen by far, battery life has been amazing, and you can get rid of the bloatware in less than 5 minutes by using apps. its definitely the best android phone i ever used. Will be lookin out to see what the new iphone offers in Sept.

DavidDesu

Apples making enough strides and things I used to moan didn't work on iOS now do to my satisfaction. iOS 11 looks fantastic. I've been in Android a while now but definitely aiming for an iPhone 8, but ideally a modernised SE or smaller iPhone 8 equivalent of that handset.

On an S7 now and it's just a bit laggy at times and I'm not that enamoured with Android that much. The Google apps I use work just as well on iOS and iOS 11 looks like it makes integration across third party apps seem even better so there's really not a great benefit to running Android for me anymore. Even the screenshot feature, allowing you to immediately crop and/or draw on screenshots does the one thing I love about Android that's not been there in iOS up until 11 (screenshotting Twitter to post the pic on Facebook, largely for political rants, is a pastime of mine now!).

The iPhone hardware is just sublime compared to anything else I think quite frankly.

n0razi

The Pixel only came out late last year. How quickly do you go through phones?!

about twice a year

It can help to use a custom launcher but why even have all that crap on your phone in the first place? Also the launcher doesn't cover everything -- aren't your notification and settings areas still all Samsung'd up?

What do you mean by "all that crap"? Its literally a slightly different launcher and slight adjustment to the menus along with a handful of apps you dont have to use (removed easily with titanium backup). To me the whole beauty of android is customization so I honestly don;t even like the stock android UI 100%. That's why we have things like custom launchers and Tweakbox. Yes, if all else was equal I would prefer stock android over Touchwiz but to me the superior hardware and features of the Galaxy line make up for that 10 fold. The lack of Qi charging, quickcharge 3.0, waterproofing, microSD slot make the Pixel a non starter for me regardless of price -not to mention the hideous bezels. I can easily customize the software of the phone but you can't add hardware features.

There's no reason to buy Samsung anymore. You can get a better phone for 25-50% of the price from Lenovo, ZTE, Huawei, or a host of other import brands. Verify the phone supports the radio bands your service uses, and pop in the sim. Good to go.

Realizing my Note 5 would brick itself if it detected root was the lowest point I've had owning smartphones. It's Android by way of iOS. A stylus was not worth the cost and anti-consumer limitations.

There's no reason to buy Samsung anymore. You can get a better phone for 25-50% of the price from Lenovo, ZTE, Huawei, or a host of other import brands. Verify the phone supports the radio bands your service uses, and pop in the sim. Good to go.

Realizing my Note 5 would brick itself if it detected root was the lowest point I've had owning smartphones. It's Android by way of iOS. A stylus was not worth the cost and anti-consumer limitations.

Better in what way lol?

Better screen to body ratio?

Better iris scanner?

Better always on display?

Better camera?

Better Knox?

Better s-pen?

Strakt

Yea those companies are good if you want every single feature downgraded from the samsung phones

can i please get a link for the imported Android phone that's better than a Note 5 as i really want a mobile handset with a Stylus that isn't almost two years old.

about twice a year

What do you mean by "all that crap"? Its literally a slightly different launcher and slight adjustment to the menus along with a handful of apps you dont have to use (removed easily with titanium backup). To me the whole beauty of android is customization so I honestly don;t even like the stock android UI 100%. That's why we have things like custom launchers and Tweakbox. Yes, if all else was equal I would prefer stock android over Touchwiz but to me the superior hardware and features of the Galaxy line make up for that 10 fold. The lack of Qi charging, quickcharge 3.0, waterproofing, microSD slot make the Pixel a non starter for me regardless of price -not to mention the hideous bezels. I can easily customize the software of the phone but you can't add hardware features.
I owned the S3-S7, and was Samsung-boy for all those years. You know perfectly well what I mean by "all that crap." Bruh they literally install a separate APP STORE with "Samsung credentials" that they bug you for on those fucking things. And the Pixel has rapid charging -- better yet, it allows a data connection while "rapidly charging" unlike the non-compliant shit Samsung has going on. And because every Pixel comes with infinite Google Photos storage @ original quality, the need for a microSD card, which was always awkwardly implemented and slow on Android to begin with, is pretty much nil. But at least you admit that stock Android is superior to Touchwiz. :p

More important than any of this is that the Pixel is your ticket to using Project Fi, which beats any other carrier hands down.

But again, I don't care about any of this much.

spekkeh

Banned
Ive used a pixel, iphone 7+, and s8+. s8+ all the way. pixel is just a tiny bit faster, but its ugly as fk. s8+ has the best screen by far, battery life has been amazing, and you can get rid of the bloatware in less than 5 minutes by using apps. its definitely the best android phone i ever used. Will be lookin out to see what the new iphone offers in Sept.

Yea those companies are good if you want every single feature downgraded from the samsung phones
Listen to this guy. The rest are just weirdly pushing their own buyers remorse insecurities.

"I'm thinking about going from a BMW to a Tesla, anyone else done this and what are your experiences?"

"Excuse me sir have you thought about a KIA, you will find it also drives you to your destination but for cheaper. Especially the KIA model I'm driving is vastly superior because reasons."

Wtfffff.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
if you're ok paying for premium phones, don't make any decision until the iPhone 8 announcement. Seriously. What we already know about the phone puts it pretty much right at the top.. and that doesn't account for improvements we don't know about (cameras, iris/facial recognition, updated CPU, RAM, where touchID is located, updated GPU, etc all rumored or expected)

I mean maybe you'll be just fine getting another phone now and won't care when iPhone 8 drops.. but man... I'd be pissed at myself spending $650+ on a new phone only to have the iPhone 8 drop as the then-current top phone and had I just waited 2-3 months I could have had that instead.

Listen to this guy. The rest are just weirdly pushing their own buyers remorse insecurities.

"I'm thinking about going from a BMW to a Tesla, anyone else done this and what are your experiences?"

"Excuse me sir have you thought about a KIA, you will find it also drives you to your destination but for cheaper. Especially the KIA model I'm driving is vastly superior because reasons."

Wtfffff.

Yeah but if the Tesla comes covered in sponsor stickers (and other stuff you may or may not be able to remove) that potentially negatively affect performance, that nice clean KIA may not be such a bad idea.

So I'm in the market for a new phone. I have moved from the Samsung Galaxy S2 6 years ago to the Sony Expera Z3 and ,two years ago, to an iPhone 6 (over the Galaxy S6 after deliberating for weeks but wanting a change)

My initial trepidation to jumping on the iPhone train may have initially been stubbornness. I heard how restrictive the platform is and how most free apps on android were actually paid apps on the iTunes Store.

Since getting the iPhone 6 I have come to see things differently of course. I love the simplicity and apple's straight to the point approach, and have since then bought an iPad Pro and pencil for work (I am a teacher) and a Mac mini for music production at home.

So it's time for a change. The S8 and S8+ are clearly excellent phones, and android seems to have come a long way. Wireless charging seems handy, being able to screencast to my roku and Samsung tv is a plus (no Apple TV here), and that screen looks amazing. So, in order to help me decide, I would like people's opinions on a number of points:

- how bad is the bloat ware situation?
- is touchwiz (called something different now?) any good?
- s8 or s8+?
- or do I stay strong, wait to see the iPhone 8 and iOS 11?

What have been your personal experiences? Have you recently (or in the past) made the switch either way? Do you regret it? What do you like/dislike about either platforms/brands?

I deploy iPhones and iPads at my job and deal with iOS daily and personally can't stand it. I adore my S8+.

Screen is amazing, incredibly powerful, very customizable GUI and OS, lots more you can do than an iPhone (root control of file system and Terminal is great).

You can't go wrong with an S8+.

_RT_

Huge fan of pure Android.
Had 2 Nexus 5's. One Nexus 6. One Nexus 6p.
Only reason I didn't go Pixel was their new pricing structure (pure sticker shock).

I had dropped my 6p and was starting to have issues with the microphone. I picked up an S8 in the recent trade in deal. This phone is phenomenal. Physical button location is taking some time to get used to, but everything else is great.

Redd

if you're ok paying for premium phones, don't make any decision until the iPhone 8 announcement. Seriously. What we already know about the phone puts it pretty much right at the top.. and that doesn't account for improvements we don't know about (cameras, iris/facial recognition, updated CPU, RAM, where touchID is located, updated GPU, etc all rumored or expected)

I mean maybe you'll be just fine getting another phone now and won't care when iPhone 8 drops.. but man... I'd be pissed at myself spending $650+ on a new phone only to have the iPhone 8 drop as the then-current top phone and had I just waited 2-3 months I could have had that instead.

I never could agree with this philosophy. There's ALWAYS a new phone around the corner. Of course the more you wait the better phone will come out. Then some shmuck says you should wait for s9 and so on and so on.

Bumhead

Banned
I switched from almost 10 years of solid iPhone usage to being a first time Android user two weeks ago. With the S8.

It took me all of about 3 minutes to figure my way around. Seriously. I don't know what the previous state of Android has been but it's been a smooth transition for me, having never used an Android before.

Samsung bloatware has also been a total non-issue. I've uninstalled or hidden from sight everything on this phone I don't want to see or use. Again, I don't know how big an issue this has been with Samsung phones previously, but it hasn't been one for me. The only Samsung programme I feel has been thrust upon me is obviously Bixby, but if you don't press the button to use it then who cares.

Touchwiz also feels fine? It looks nice and seems to get the job done. I'm using Nova Launcher though with all the GUI customisation that brings, but it's all still lovely and snappy.

I dunno. Almost none of the "yeah but what about..?" on the internet in response to Samsung phones has been an issue for me.

I switched from almost 10 years of solid iPhone usage to being a first time Android user two weeks ago. With the S8.

It took me all of about 3 minutes to figure my way around. Seriously. I don't know what the previous state of Android has been but it's been a smooth transition for me, having never used an Android before.

Samsung bloatware has also been a total non-issue. I've uninstalled or hidden from sight everything on this phone I don't want to see or use. Again, I don't know how big an issue this has been with Samsung phones previously, but it hasn't been one for me. The only Samsung programme I feel has been thrust upon me is obviously Bixby, but if you don't press the button to use it then who cares.

Touchwiz also feels fine? It looks nice and seems to get the job done. I'm using Nova Launcher though with all the GUI customisation that brings, but it's all still lovely and snappy.

I dunno. Almost none of the "yeah but what about..?" on the internet in response to Samsung phones has been an issue for me.

get a Pixel.

then you'll understand.

like the almost one million people that bought a Pixel.

Condom

Shouldn't any phone with Lineage OS 14 be super smooth? I mean my Redmi Note 3 is buttery smooth on it as well but it isn't a huge jump when I grab my G6. You adapt after a couple of seconds and the rest of the phone's features prevail after that.

Huge fan of pure Android.
Had 2 Nexus 5's. One Nexus 6. One Nexus 6p.
Only reason I didn't go Pixel was their new pricing structure (pure sticker shock).

I had dropped my 6p and was starting to have issues with the microphone. I picked up an S8 in the recent trade in deal. This phone is phenomenal. Physical button location is taking some time to get used to, but everything else is great.

sounds more like you're a fan of cheap phones.

a true stock lover would have bought a full price pixel.

yansolo

oneplus 5 was just released recently and its just as good as the s8 apparently for a few hundred bux cheaper, even the oneplus 3t is a rocking phone if you don't want to pay premium price

the LG G6 is also an s8 equivalent, not as powerful but the difference isn't so huge according to reviews.

I'm still using an s6 from a few years ago, gets the job done.

BeforeU

oneplus 5 was just released recently and its just as good as the s8 apparently for a few hundred bux cheaper, even the oneplus 3t is a rocking phone if you don't want to pay premium price

the LG G6 is also an s8 equivalent, not as powerful but the difference isn't so huge according to reviews.

I'm still using an s6 from a few years ago, gets the job done.

yes its $200 cheaper than S8. but the problem with OnePlus 5 is, you also getting $200 worth of less stuff. Mediocre display, mediocre camera, no IP67 ratting.

We also know that the iPhone model you talking about is going to cost north of $1k.

BTW, I don't understand people who say the Pixel is "ugly"? Yeah, the design is boring, and uninspiring, but at the same time, it's by no means bad. It just looks like a typical smartphone.

BeforeU

BTW, I don't understand people who say the Pixel is "ugly"? Yeah, the design is boring, and uninspiring, but at the same time, it's by no means bad. It just looks like a typical smartphone.

True. People who say its ugly have never used it.

Pixel is all about the software and service what the smartphone should be. Once you use it for couple of hours, hardware just fades in the background. And you don't even think about it.

Top Bottom