• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

reKon

Banned

Wow, I did not see that coming.

Seems like Castle Clash (which I've been playing a lot), has stolen most of it's thunder.

Can't say I feel bad though. That's what you get for ignoring an entire ecosystem. I know it's hard to account for all these Android devices, but AT THE VERY LEAST, you could release something for the MOST popular Android devices and then work your way down in popularity, then Jellybean devices, then older devices after...

Edit: not available in your country

Wtf?

HBP

Wow, I did not see that coming.

Seems like Castle Clash (which I've been playing a lot), has stolen most of it's thunder.

Can't say I feel bad though. That's what you get for ignoring an entire ecosystem. I know it's hard to account for all these Android devices, but AT THE VERY LEAST, you could release something for the MOST popular Android devices and then work your way down in popularity, then Jellybean devices, then older devices after...

Edit: not available in your country

Wtf?

I am not sure if its just my tablet but Castle Clash runs horrible on it, going to see if Clash of Clans is any better.

c3t

Banned
How is Chrono Trigger on android? I always see people praising it so I figured I'd buy it. Am I getting a definitive experience, or would it be better if I buy it for the DS? I know, my question is weird.

XDDX

How is Chrono Trigger on android? I always see people praising it so I figured I'd buy it. Am I getting a definitive experience, or would it be better if I buy it for the DS? I know, my question is weird.
It's ok, but playing it on the DS is probably a better experience unless you have a controller.

iavi

Layton Brothers is suprsingly good. Super formulaic for the initial case it comes with, but the polish to the presentation is Level 5 to the tee, and if it opens up in later cases, it'll basically be the Ace Attorney equivalent to Layton proper.

+1

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
r1chard said:
Don't get that Humble Bundle if you're getting it for this game. Avoid it.
Too late. :(
And after starting it, I agree with your experience with the game - UX is just terrible, combat is devoid of strategy that worked so well in FTL, and story is a linear encounter romp, so there's hardly anything worth replaying it for (then again combat is just not fun to begin with, so why subject anyone to repeating that).
It's a damn shame too - I really like the soundtrack, art is a damn-sight better than FTL, and on surface it sounded like it would marry FTL and Star Control, but that's all it ever amounts to - a surface impression.

HBP

Also found out if you have been playing Clash of Clans on iOS you can import your save and play cross platform with Android..going to try this tonight.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Hey folks. My review of Toast Time is up. It's a psychedelic shoot-em-up staring a Toaster that has to save the world from an alien invasion, and it's pretty damn awesome.

http://www.gamezebo.com/games/toast-time/review

I’d imagine that Force of Habit, the Bristol based developers behind the zany arena shoot-em-up Toast Time, conjured up the idea for this game through a cocktail of sleep deprivation and missed meals. I can hear their mad proclamations in my head as I type: “We’d love to treat the team to a nice breakfast of eggs and soldiers, but our toaster’s run off to save the world…”

Renoir

How come some Apps (clash of clans) when i try to get them from the Store it says not available for my device (nexus4) but if i side load it, i clearly see that it works perfectly fine.

KarmaCow

How come some Apps (clash of clans) when i try to get them from the Store it says not available for my device (nexus4) but if i side load it, i clearly see that it works perfectly fine.

I'm getting that Clash of Clans is compatible with my Nexus 4, so maybe it's a region issue or perhaps you have another phone defaulted to your account.

HBP

They're doing a beta/soft launch and it's supposed to open up to more people over time. It says the same with my tablet but side loading is also fine.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah if you develop dir Android and your games doesn't support nexus devices you are doing something wrong.

Renoir

Ummm. My Kingdom rush frontier crashed. Wich I though was no big deal I'll boot it again. But when I did my save was gone...
And I Fucking bought Ashbite (supporting the devs, you know.)
And now it's gone.

:(

jayb

They're doing a beta/soft launch and it's supposed to open up to more people over time. It says the same with my tablet but side loading is also fine.

have they posted a list of which devices are currently compatible?

reKon

Banned
Still says it's not compatible with my country. I'm in the US and others have been getting luck being in the US and they have the HTC One

Brick

Just picked up a new Nexus 7, and was wondering what some good city building games are? Feeling the need to build something.

Plants Vs Zombies 2 is out in NZ and Australia. I managed to find a link to sideload the apk and the data. I'll edit this in a bit if I can re find the links. It was off reddit but the mods took it down.

Edit: Make a folder inside android/obb/ called "com.ea.game.pvz2_row" and put this data file in.
Here is the APK file. Install and start playing! I'm only a few levels in. I don't know if purchases work or not. I wouldn't try it.

Now it is a freemium game, so I dunno what GAf's stance on this would be. It's free anyways, just not here in the US/ But if there is a problem, I'll take them down if needed. It is in English. Works well on my Nexus 4.

linsivvi

Plants Vs Zombies 2 is out in NZ and Australia. I managed to find a link to sideload the apk and the data. I'll edit this in a bit if I can re find the links. It was off reddit but the mods took it down.

Edit: Make a folder inside android/obb/ called "com.ea.game.pvz2_row" and put this data file in.
Here is the APK file. Install and start playing! I'm only a few levels in. I don't know if purchases work or not. I wouldn't try it.

Now it is a freemium game, so I dunno what GAf's stance on this would be. It's free anyways, just not here in the US/ But if there is a problem, I'll take them down if needed. It is in English. Works well on my Nexus 4.

It's fine as long as it's done right. Gotta finish Kingdom Rush Frontier quick so I can start to tackle this. At 87 stars now.

Do those files have data from whoever uploaded them? I kinda don't wan to get screwed over when it does launch.

Jesus. I have TOO MANY games this month. I just started SC2+HotS. I am currently playing P4G and LoL. I have this itch to replay Legend of Dragoon. Now PvZ2 drops in. @_@

Is this a good place for me to express my thoughts about the Nvidia Shield?

Or is that another thread?
Edit: No, this is clearly about the games. Sorry.

Hmmm. How are the kemco jRPGs I keep seeing on Google Play?
They don't look particularly special, but I keep seeing them everywhere.

Uh, is there a standard place where Android puts data/saves for apps/games? I DL'd PvZ2 from those links, but I'll re-DL it once it actually goes live in our country just to make it official.

Groof

Uh, is there a standard place where Android puts data/saves for apps/games? I DL'd PvZ2 from those links, but I'll re-DL it once it actually goes live in our country just to make it official.
Data is saved with the app, but you can't back it up without root access.

Groof

So without root access or Google Games support, there's literally no way to backup your saves if you decide to uninstall a game? :/

Not that I know of. I think Helium Backup is supposed to be able to do this, but I haven't really tried. It is really shit, I know.

Esti

Neo Member
I've been wanting to play this game since I saw the GiantBomb quicklook of the original game, but since it's announced for Steam, I'll just wait and play it there when/if it comes out.

Sorry. :(

The Seam version is going to be a remake of the original KR , not KRF. But you can wait to play the first one if you want, the pc version is getting ready for internal testing and releasing soon.

Thank you guys for the comments!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I got the free $5 credit from the Kit Kat campaign.

I'm thinking of buying Rayman Jungle Run + Asphalt 8 and that leaves me with a buck.

Clash of Heroes is inciting, but I already fully completed the campaign on XBLA.

Any other suggestions? Either for the $5 in general or the buck I'll have left if I buy Rayman + Asphalt?

I'm thinking of buying Rayman Jungle Run + Asphalt 8 and that leaves me with a buck.

Clash of Heroes is inciting, but I already fully completed the campaign on XBLA.

Any other suggestions? Either for the $5 in general or the buck I'll have left if I buy Rayman + Asphalt?
Don't buy asphalt if you plan on only spending a single dollar. game is a grindfest. Not worth it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

Off the top of my head, I think Zombie Gunship is $o.99. That's good stuff.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I wish PvZ 2 would become available ASAP. I can't wait to play it on my nexus 7

Supposedly you can get it early if you want to do some fiddling. Like it's out in Australia and NZ and you can get it if you create some folders or something on your device and then side load the apk.

Top Bottom