• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Entrance to moon tunnels possibly found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
DeathNote said:
Why are you directing our attention to hole and what is this picture for? The pun? Well, I just answered my own question.
Indeed you did.

How do you feel about that?

OnPoint

Starting this perhaps?

287kc5h.jpg

NotWii

Banned
Zhuk said:
Moon tunnels found, now all they need to do is find the alien bases that are on the dark side.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
NASA have known about the tunnels for ages.
It's only now that things like this are being publicly admitted now that other space programs are going up there and taking photos for themselves

Gattsu25

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
http://i36.tinypic.com/a4qxon.jpg[IMG]

I don't think were welcome.[/QUOTE]We're are you going with this joke? Where you trying to imply that humanity is falling for a trap or a prank? Were not that easily fooled, mang.

Kozak

Banned
I say we blow it up. Make the hole wider.

edit: and I've probably made the only post that isn't a joke.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
deadbeef said:
We have the technology.

ibxts4.jpg

Too bad The White Houses panel doing a report on NASA came out last week saying we shouldn't bother going back to the moon and is giving that recommendation to the President. Likely wont find out till next years budget is released what the final decision will be though.

Lebron

Why do you want us to nuke the moon? Do you people not know of the rabbit that lives there? We would be wise not to anger him.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maybe we could put all of our trash inside it?

Lebron said:
Why do you want us to nuke the moon? Do you people not know of the rabbit that lives there? We would be wise not to anger him.

Houston confirms...

Houston: Among the large headlines concerning Apollo this morning there's one asking that you watch for a lovely girl with a big rabbit. An ancient legend says a beautiful Chinese girl called Chang-o has been living there for 4000 years. It seems she was banished to the moon because she stole the pill for immortality from her husband. You might also look for her companion, a large Chinese rabbit, who is easy to spot since he is only standing on his hind feet in the shade of a cinnamon tree. The name of the rabbit is not recorded.

Michael Collins: Okay, we'll keep a close eye for the bunny girl.

Gaborn

UPDATE: Now they're thinking colony!

CNN) -- Building a home near a moon crater or a lunar sea may sound nice, but moon colonists might have a much better chance of survival if they just lived in a hole.

That's the message sent by an international team of scientists who say they've discovered a protected lunar "lava tube" -- a deep, giant hole -- that might be well suited for a moon colony or a lunar base.

The vertical hole, in the volcanic Marius Hills region on the moon's near side, is 213 feet wide and is estimated to be more than 260 feet deep, according to findings published in Geophysical Research Letters, a journal of the American Geophysical Union.

More important, the scientists say, the hole is protected from the moon's harsh temperatures and meteorite strikes by a thin sheet of lava. That makes the tube a good candidate for further exploration or possible inhabitation, the article says.

"Lunar lava tubes are a potentially important location for a future lunar base, whether for local exploration and development, or as an outpost to serve exploration beyond the Moon," writes the team, led by Junichi Haruyama, a senior researcher with the Japanese space agency JAXA.

"Any intact lava tube could serve as a shelter from the severe environment of the lunar surface, with its meteorite impacts, high-energy UV radiation and energetic particles, and extreme diurnal temperature variations."

Lava tubes have previously been discovered on the moon, but the scientists say the new hole is notable because of its lava shield and because it does not appear to be prone to collapse.

Lave tubes exist on Earth and also have been found on Mars. The cylinder-shaped caverns can be carved out by lava flows, volcanic eruptions, seismic activity or ground collapse resulting from meteoroid strikes.

The scientists used high-resolution images from a Japanese moon orbiter called SELENE to discover this lunar lava tube. The findings were published November 12, but they grabbed the attention of the public this week.

NASA is reportedly working on plans to return to the moon by 2020 and to set up a temporary lunar colony by 2025 as part of the Constellation Program. Funding for the program, however, remains somewhat in question.

The American space agency could not be reached for comment.

Story Here

ToxicAdam

I think people from Tokyo should live there first. They have already been conditioned to live in small, cramped, spartan existences.

Gaborn

Personally I hope our future lunar colony (eventually it WILL happen) looks something like this:
moonbase_screen_shot.jpg

This was an awesome game back in the day incidentally.

SiteSeer

UPDATE 2:

Scientists Just Found the Perfect Spot to Build an Underground Colony on the Moon

supposed hole and subsequent cavern could be thrice the size of philadelphia.

JAXA scientists analyzed radar data from the SELENE spacecraft, which was designed to study the origins of the Moon and its geological history. As this new study shows, this instrument is also good for detecting lunar lava tubes, which it does by bouncing radar off the lunar surface. By peppering the entrances to these suspected caverns with radar bursts, the scientists were able to detect a distinctive echo pattern, where a decrease in echo power was followed by a second large echo peak. This pattern was the smoking gun, signifying the presence of a floor and a ceiling of a lava tube. Because the scientists found several similar echo patterns at locations nearby, there may be more than one lava tube.

And it just so happens that this area corresponds to locations where NASA, through its GRAIL mission, was able to identify mass deficits—that is, locations on the lunar surface where mass appears to be reduced or missing, which GRAIL detects as slightly less gravity.

By combining the SELENE and GRAIL data, the team was able to not just prove the presence of a lava hole, but also the depth and height of the cavity. And it’s big—extending for several kilometers in length, and at least one kilometer in height and width.
msajccxxalcgy0yfugjh.jpg

Philadelphia is shown inside a theoretical lunar lava tube. (Image: Purdue University/David Blair)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom