• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolithsoft WiiU trailer - X (Takahashi x Tanaka x Sawano, Xenoblade x/multiplayer?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonafunu

You know, the fact that there even are mechs for transport should say enough about the scope of this game. Even Xenoblade didn't have vehicular transportation. This game must be ridiculously huge.
I can't fucking wait.

Zenaku

Remember how different Xenoblade looked to Monado. That should give an idea of some of the changed to expect...

To the Xenogears people I saw the red X too). We're the mechs called Gears in that game yet the HUD here seems to call them Dolls...XenoDoll Chronicles, sounds like a children's toy.

Xeonblady stuff
Don't worry, Melia will look about 5 years older (she's about 60 in Xenoblade...remember High Entia live for hundreds of years) so if it really is the Son of Shulk and Fiora so theres always opportunity for them to be a couple...

Melia is actually 88. High Entia's life span is roughly 5 times that of a Homs, who live as long as us humans. Machina are immortal as long as they have what's necessary to survive, but they get bigger over time.
Useless facts, but oh well.

The thing I have noticed is that everything seems very sterile and computer-like in terms of the GUI and effects. There's a scene where the main player character aims his rifle up and shoots aura into the sky, just like Sharla would in Xenoblade. But if I'm looking right, it seems like the mist that comes back down is very...glitchy? Like in an intentional computerised way.

Considering the end of Xenoblade,
(the entire world is a computer's creation and the world that is wished for by Shulk at the end is STILL a simulation created by Alvis)
maybe this is hinting at something? Or maybe I'm just crazy.

MASSIVE XENOBLADE ENDING SPOILERS:
My understanding is that Xenoblade's world isn't a computer simulation. It IS, in a sense, created by a computer (i.e. Alvis) the implication is that he/it reshaped our "old" world (at the very least; perhaps the entire universe) via an unspecified, highly advanced technological method (that either can only be performed from orbit, or it can only be SURVIVED from orbit). It was my assumption that this resulted in the demise, or more exactly "erasure", of all living beings existing in our world (including mankind, obviously), making Zamza a genocide even before Xenoblade's world history began.

pestul

You know, the fact that there even are mechs for transport should say enough about the scope of this game. Even Xenoblade didn't have vehicular transportation. This game must be ridiculously huge.
I can't fucking wait.
Come on Monolith.. fill that proprietary BD disc to the hilt with a massive world.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm wondering if the mechs are just a very limited bonus you'll use for a while then ditch in order to progress. If you just find them out in the field and they have limited fuel then it seems that way. I wouldn't wanna hoof it across large distances after acquiring more fuel only to have it deplete by the time I get back where I refueled at, defeating the point of vehicle travel.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Would be cool if the game has tons of customization down to armor, weapon of choice and your own mecha.

Anyway the game looks top notch. Totally got a Xenogears feel with the Mech Fuel gauge.

wanders

MASSIVE XENOBLADE ENDING SPOILERS:
My understanding is that Xenoblade's world isn't a computer simulation. It IS, in a sense, created by a computer (i.e. Alvis) the implication is that he/it reshaped our "old" world (at the very least; perhaps the entire universe) via an unspecified, highly advanced technological method (that either can only be performed from orbit, or it can only be SURVIVED from orbit). It was my assumption that this resulted in the demise, or more exactly "erasure", of all living beings existing in our world (including mankind, obviously), making Zamza a genocide even before Xenoblade's world history began.

Xenoblade Endgame Spoilers:
Also at the end of Xenoblade, the world is reshaped again. X's world must be that new world. There are some mountain shapes in the trailer reminiscent to Gaur Plains.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
There looks like an ability bar which got me to thinking, Will the WiiU have MMO's? Seems like the touchscreen is perfect for that kind of gameplay and seeing the abilities bar in this game make me think it was possible.

creid

Really hoping that online works like White Knight Chronicles, where all multiplayer content is separate from the single-player story. Seems the best fit for a Takahashi game, but who knows...

sorry if this was already asked, when and where is local mp confirmed?

it's not

hes just saying local co-op or even 3 player online co-op does not equal Massive Multiplayer Online(MMO)

There looks like an ability bar which got me to thinking, Will the WiiU have MMO's? Seems like the touchscreen is perfect for that kind of gameplay and seeing the abilities bar in this game make me think it was possible.

DQX got ported to Wii-U in Japan so yeah

Porcile

It was something special when he got in that Mech and started flying across the landscape. Soundtrack is sounding great already. Xenoblade was excellent and very well rounded so i'm interested in seeing how they mix up the gameplay this time.

Rich!

WII U HAZ NO GAMES!

So people are thinking this is a sequel to Xenoblade? Guess Id better go buy that before the new one is out.

It looks like at the absolute minimum it'll be a spiritual sequel, like Demon's/Dark Souls.

Same GUI layout, same battle system, mechs, etc.

and what the hell are you waiting for. I've finished Xenoblade 5 times now. I've played over 500 hours of it. It's so good man

majik13

it's not

hes just saying local co-op or even 3 player online co-op does not equal Massive Multiplayer Online(MMO)

I see, still a kinda misleading comment. anyways I hope they do make it local, with gamepad/tv splitscreen.

Unless they some how make the gamepad integral. I hope they at least let you move alot of the HUD to the gamepad

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
It looks like at the absolute minimum it'll be a spiritual sequel, like Demon's/Dark Souls.

Same GUI layout, same battle system, mechs, etc.

and what the hell are you waiting for. I've finished Xenoblade 5 times now. I've played over 500 hours of it. It's so good man

It was either Ni No Kuni or Xenoblade this pay check.... but next check shall be xenoblade money!

This new game looks really awesome, I have to say it is probably the game I am most excited to play for the WiiU! Dem Graphics!!

Rich!

oh my god

I just realised. constant map and quests as well as inventory/gear being displayed on the gamepad. This will literally save hours of flicking back and forth between menus.

Also, I hope this game has waypoints/map markers that you can set yourself. That's the one thing I felt Xenoblade was really missing, and would have saved plenty of time whilst doing quests. Would work brilliantly with the touchscreen on the gamepad.

B.K.

I was interested in the game until I saw it's basically Xenoblade 2. That killed any hype I had for it. We're never going to get another great game like Xenogears from Takahashi again.

katkombat

Banned
HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE

I don't even own Xenoblade yet...THIS WEEKEND.

This day for WiiU is great. I'm definitely getting one after this trailer + WWHD.

I'm wondering if the mechs are just a very limited bonus you'll use for a while then ditch in order to progress. If you just find them out in the field and they have limited fuel then it seems that way. I wouldn't wanna hoof it across large distances after acquiring more fuel only to have it deplete by the time I get back where I refueled at, defeating the point of vehicle travel.

this glorious thing is revealed and your best comment is a grumble about how something might be implemented?

Son. I am disappoint.

Rich!

If I remember correctly, the first Xenoblade trailer was shown 1 year before japanese release and the final game gr4fiXXX were a substancial improvement over it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcflgnLmgms

woah. That looks horrendous compared to what we got, especially after playing it on Dolphin:

1314864418.png

I feel like a dummy for reading those Xenoblade spoilers. I thought I had already been spoiled on everything, but I was wrong.
Still gonna go back and finish it though.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Remember when Monolith said that they wanted to deliver a huge game like the Bethesda games? Based on this trailer, looks like on their first try, they already blew them out of the water. Haha

majik13

If I remember correctly, the first Xenoblade trailer was shown 1 year before japanese release and the final game gr4fiXXX were a substancial improvement over it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcflgnLmgms

hmmm doesnt seem too different to me. Obviously things were changed(gui especially). I just dont really see a significant quality difference, unless maybe there were side by side comparisons.

Also it feels a little lackluster because that trailer didnt show any massive field traveling, where a better comparison probabaly could be made, but we cant.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Remember when Monolith said that they wanted to deliver a huge game like the Bethesda games? Based on this trailer, looks like on their first try, they already blew them out of the water. Haha
We've yet to see how they handle cities. Most of those in Xenoblade weren't particularly grand. Neat but inconsequential and just places to find quest marker NPCs or whatever, not environments to explore, get lost in and discover awesome stuff. It did make some sense in the setting, but still, I do hope they have at least one big proper city to go with it though, something like a HD Lazulis city (from The Last Story), with more indoors parts and of course not all medieval fantasy. Maybe if it's far enough into the Xenoblade future that colony you helped rebuild will have grown into a capital with tons of alleys full of stuff to see. Edit: well, after watching some videos the city areas are bigger and nicer than I remembered them, but the gameplay, camera angle, quests, etc, make it feel like just a backdrop to the few if any interesting bits. Hopefully they fix that sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom